Boat Deals Coming Up - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #61
dbjockey
Coho
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 80
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Youngblood Sportfishing View Post
There are definitely still some people out there looking to take advantage of people. I listed my 2016 Alumaweld Columbia for sale, absolutely loaded, its allot of boat and will take a special buyer in my mind. I wanted to sell it because the river fishing for me has really died the last 3 years and the boat just sits in a storage shed getting used maybe 10 days a year. Since springers and winter steel has declined on the lower CR and tribes it just sits so i thought why not try to sell. Boat i think went for around 115k or more in 2016, 185 hours on main motor...loaded ...I asked 70 k, and I would negotiate some. I had a couple of tire kickers but 1 guy called and seemed sincerely interested since he said he was going to order a brand new one until he saw mine. Sent pics, fielded many calls, never really said anything about price but wanted to come see it. Set up a time and he came down, pulled it out of storage, he went over it front to back, I even installed the full top for him then he asked to test run...I said no problem since he seemed extremely excited and serious. Hauled it to ilwaco and ran out in the Cr for about a 1 hour round trip maybe. Was back at the dock and he said ...ok I have done the math and figure you cant owe more than maybe 40k and thats what I am looking to spend and all I have (how were you going to buy a new one)...I thought he was joking and I laughed. I said well thats not going to cut it the boat is worth allot more and I have the tile in my safe. He basically called me a liar saying no way could I have paid this boat off already (I paid cash for it when I bought it) and tried to bully me into selling...That went south really quick and he was told to get off my boat (not nicely at all trust me).. I literally thought I had been set up by a buddy thats how crazy it was.... but there are those guys out there for sure.... I would cash that boat in for scrap before I would sell to a bottom feeding leach like that...
This is almost common when selling a car privately. I actually started asking guys BEFORE we meet, "Are you prepared to offer our asking price?" I had one of these ridiculous interactions (guy offered about half what he should have) and told the guy to take a hike. A week later he offers a reasonable amount "because his wife wanted to buy the car." Figured he would try an insulting offer first and then no big deal.

dbjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #62
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
DogZilla15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34,372
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

One thing I frequently mention when selling something is, I don't need the money. Don't care if I sell this today or in two months.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #63
BeaverPride
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western WA
Posts: 1,021
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Youngblood Sportfishing View Post
There are definitely still some people out there looking to take advantage of people. I listed my 2016 Alumaweld Columbia for sale, absolutely loaded, its allot of boat and will take a special buyer in my mind. I wanted to sell it because the river fishing for me has really died the last 3 years and the boat just sits in a storage shed getting used maybe 10 days a year. Since springers and winter steel has declined on the lower CR and tribes it just sits so i thought why not try to sell. Boat i think went for around 115k or more in 2016, 185 hours on main motor...loaded ...I asked 70 k, and I would negotiate some. I had a couple of tire kickers but 1 guy called and seemed sincerely interested since he said he was going to order a brand new one until he saw mine. Sent pics, fielded many calls, never really said anything about price but wanted to come see it. Set up a time and he came down, pulled it out of storage, he went over it front to back, I even installed the full top for him then he asked to test run...I said no problem since he seemed extremely excited and serious. Hauled it to ilwaco and ran out in the Cr for about a 1 hour round trip maybe. Was back at the dock and he said ...ok I have done the math and figure you cant owe more than maybe 40k and thats what I am looking to spend and all I have (how were you going to buy a new one)...I thought he was joking and I laughed. I said well thats not going to cut it the boat is worth allot more and I have the tile in my safe. He basically called me a liar saying no way could I have paid this boat off already (I paid cash for it when I bought it) and tried to bully me into selling...That went south really quick and he was told to get off my boat (not nicely at all trust me).. I literally thought I had been set up by a buddy thats how crazy it was.... but there are those guys out there for sure.... I would cash that boat in for scrap before I would sell to a bottom feeding leach like that...
There was a guy on here years ago, taking crap for charging for test rides. This story proves he was right. Put a 200 price on the test ride next time and you can avoid this kind of abuse. Refundable against purchase.
BeaverPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #64
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 13,713
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverPride View Post
There was a guy on here years ago, taking crap for charging for test rides. This story proves he was right. Put a 200 price on the test ride next time and you can avoid this kind of abuse. Refundable against purchase.
Cheaper than a survey.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #65
Mark Youngblood Sportfishing
 
Mark Youngblood Sportfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tacoma,Washington
Posts: 3,384
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverPride View Post
There was a guy on here years ago, taking crap for charging for test rides. This story proves he was right. Put a 200 price on the test ride next time and you can avoid this kind of abuse. Refundable against purchase.
.

Couple of guys called and offered me a lot less than asking over the phone which was fine...this guy was in a class of his own...lol
Mark Youngblood Sportfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:39 AM   #66
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,854
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

What price is fair in a deal is the real question, market value, trending value, or off the cuff value are some that come to mind. However the real value is none of those in a deal. The fair trade value always comes down what the two in the deal find fair and are willing to finalize on. Case in point I sold a boat in 2015 and the buyer went to finance the boat with his big bank. They decided my price was too high according to blue book. The buyer then went to a local Vancouver area bank and got the loan. I later went in with the buyer to bank to finalize the sale and talked the loan officer who was in fact a fisherman. He told us my selling price for the NW was a great deal and had no problem with loaning on the boat. This was one of those yes, maybe not, to finally oh yes I'm buying deals. The buyer felt he was getting a good deal based on his research until the first bank officer in the midwest influenced the deal. But the buyer did further work and was influenced the other direction back to where he really wanted the boat. We, meaning the buyer, seller and banker all were satisfied with the deal.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #67
Chad D.
Chromer
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Leaburg, OR
Posts: 996
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
What price is fair in a deal is the real question, market value, trending value, or off the cuff value are some that come to mind. However the real value is none of those in a deal. The fair trade value always comes down what the two in the deal find fair and are willing to finalize on. Case in point I sold a boat in 2015 and the buyer went to finance the boat with his big bank. They decided my price was too high according to blue book. The buyer then went to a local Vancouver area bank and got the loan. I later went in with the buyer to bank to finalize the sale and talked the loan officer who was in fact a fisherman. He told us my selling price for the NW was a great deal and had no problem with loaning on the boat. This was one of those yes, maybe not, to finally oh yes I'm buying deals. The buyer felt he was getting a good deal based on his research until the first bank officer in the midwest influenced the deal. But the buyer did further work and was influenced the other direction back to where he really wanted the boat. We, meaning the buyer, seller and banker all were satisfied with the deal.


Similar story when I bought my Hewes. I needed a loan on it for a year, and first lender wouldn’t loan anywhere near what market value on the boat was. For reference, this was a 2003 Sportsman 180 with 130 hours. They valued the boat and trailer under $7K...

Second lender just asked for an appraisal that they could use to justify the amount. Done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #68
Grizz86
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: South Central Washington
Posts: 229
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SturgeonKing50 View Post
If you have to sell your toys you probably shouldn't have them in the first place. They are a want,not a need. I have mine and they are paid for. I put a tremendous amount of time and thought in before I bought them. They were NOT NEW. I'm also glad that I'm retired. Sadly many people live beyond their means. And when something like this happens they get hit the worst. Being in the Lumber industry all my life I was in a couple of severe layoffs. Remember 1980? No one cared about the Logger's and Sawmill guys.If it isn't happening to you people don't give it much of a thought. But even then I found work to support my family as best I could. It wasn't pretty but we survived. The biggest thing about this is all the conjecture about what could happen and not what will happen. I hope this does not get that bad. There are a lot of businesses and people making a killing on this. And back to the OP'S point they will probably be some great deals around. It is what it is.

It's when the tide goes out you find out who's been swimming naked.
Grizz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 AM   #69
crabbait
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 37,111
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

And the tide is receding. I have been watching the SW Washington housing market since last summer. We have the down pop and can make the payments but the price of houses these days is ridiculous. Low interest will make buying possible but the over extended who can't make the payment won't benefit from a 0% interest rate. I'm seeing a lot of pre-foreclosure sales already.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #70
deptrai
Steelhead
 
deptrai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 419
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

I received an email from Boston Whaler today.

https://www2.bostonwhaler.com/webmai...49eb3e669b1031
__________________
_______Dave________
Parker 2320 (sold May, 2014)
Trojan Seahorse
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #71
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 13,713
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

I wonder if the wait list on tin boats is starting to shorten.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #72
Spotted Owl
Ifish Nate
 
Spotted Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PNW, USA
Posts: 2,521
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
I wonder if the wait list on tin boats is starting to shorten.
Yup, they are. They are starting to call too, a lot. Before they were “wasting time” and “chasing their tail” when we wouldn’t buy on the spot.

Deals are coming, if you’re patient.



Owl
__________________
Spend time with your kids while THEY have the time.
Common sense.....Least common of all the senses.
You can bet that a guy with a pink boat is no sissy.JE
Spotted Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #73
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 13,713
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted Owl View Post
Yup, they are. They are starting to call too, a lot. Before they were “wasting time” and “chasing their tail” when we wouldn’t buy on the spot.

Deals are coming, if you’re patient.



Owl
You're not hunting, are you? You've got a sweet ride.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #74
Spotted Owl
Ifish Nate
 
Spotted Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PNW, USA
Posts: 2,521
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Same style, just more durable for some different situations. Always gonna be a dory in the barn.



Owl
__________________
Spend time with your kids while THEY have the time.
Common sense.....Least common of all the senses.
You can bet that a guy with a pink boat is no sissy.JE
Spotted Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #75
2slow
Chromer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 755
Default Re: Boat Deals Coming Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
If the ad says, or best offer, this opens the door for negotiations. I would never offer less than what something is worth... to me, just to take advantage of someone.
The question is what is it worth when prices are moving? Some would say it is worth whatever you can either sell or buy it for.
__________________
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:36 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.23739 seconds with 31 queries