2020 Hagg Lake Reports - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 03-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
matimeo
Cutthroat

Default 2020 Hagg Lake Reports

I've seen a couple of reports this year for Hagg, but thought we should get a spot to consolidate them here. I've been rehabbing an achilles injury all winter, but am finally back to where I can launch my boat again, and anxious to hear any reports on how the fishing has been at Hagg.

matimeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Default Re: 2020 Hagg Lake Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by matimeo View Post
I've seen a couple of reports this year for Hagg, but thought we should get a spot to consolidate them here. I've been rehabbing an achilles injury all winter, but am finally back to where I can launch my boat again, and anxious to hear any reports on how the fishing has been at Hagg.
Several recent good reports right on this forum.
Go back a week or so and look through the posts.
One of a monster airborne trout.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
fishrepellor
Chromer

Took my son and nephews out today. (Monday)

Fished from 10-2.
Started off with 4/4 within 20 mins and I thought it would be easy limits...nope.

Bite died for the next couple of hours. Left the dam area and headed towards the buoy line. Tried different lures, added crappie bites but Nada.

Finally got fish to bite again by adding gulp maggots to the lures.
We Landed two biggies.
My nephew from Arizona landed the biggest one all by himself.
26” and 7 # and chrome bright. The kids were yelling and screaming once we saw how big it was in the water and finally on the deck.
Fun times.

First time catching a brooder there that chrome.
His was more chrome than any steelhead I’ve caught this winter LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B1C6796-0E3F-4DFC-869B-6FE53E43B0C8_1584444723244.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	741855  
fishrepellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
elkhuntinfool
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrepellor View Post
Took my son and nephews out today. (Monday)

Fished from 10-2.
Started off with 4/4 within 20 mins and I thought it would be easy limits...nope.

Bite died for the next couple of hours. Left the dam area and headed towards the buoy line. Tried different lures, added crappie bites but Nada.

Finally got fish to bite again by adding gulp maggots to the lures.
We Landed two biggies.
My nephew from Arizona landed the biggest one all by himself.
26” and 7 # and chrome bright. The kids were yelling and screaming once we saw how big it was in the water and finally on the deck.
Fun times.

First time catching a brooder there that chrome.
His was more chrome than any steelhead I’ve caught this winter LOL.
Those are some beauties. Way to go. Start them young!
elkhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Golfbum
Steelhead

Hagg Lake
March 23rd

Until further notice all Washington County Parks facilities restrooms, shelters, indoor rental facilities, playgrounds, and sport courts and disc golf courses are closed.

Lake and boat ramps still open.
Golfbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Pensacola
Tuna!

March 26 This appears to be the last nice day for a bit and it was great to get on the water which was back to 48 degrees at the surface and 47 all the way down to 60 feet. There were a few jumpers all day and some really large fish busting the surface. The placid water lasted until noon with a whisper of rain and a brisk wind just as I was leaving. From the dam I could see about a dozen boats on the lake and most were in the vicinity of the deepest part. The trolling in front of Ramp C, in about 25 feet of water, was very slow to start with at 8:30 but steadily improved. The trout were easily seen on the FF and seemed to be hanging at 15 to 25 feet. I had the small weights on the downriggers and would adjust the depth to match the fish viewed on the screen. This works well at Hagg and especially well at Diamond. Just put the weight about two feet above so they get a good peek at the offering which was Crappie Nibbles on a Wiggle Hoochie. Best troll speed seemed to be 1.5 mph. If trolled too slowly the critters just peck off the nibbles avoiding the hook. The higher speed seems to make them work a little harder and smack the lure. The higher the sun got the better the fishing. I went to just one rod because working the second downrigger ALONE makes it harder to watch the other one. Holding the rod on the downrigger is a hoot because you can stick 'em at the get go rather than making the fish do the hooking. Catch and release was fun but the biggest was 14" today and the rest of the keepers a healthy 13. The fish are bright, pink-meated AND really fat. The boating LEO was patrolling the lake to make sure folks were staying separated although I saw no stops made. Sheriff was roving on shore as well, so keep your distance.

Everything you need to have a great time is just waiting for you and there still seems to be a dearth of salmon and steelhead with the waters in the 40's. Get out to Hagg with the kids and blow off some steam with your reward being a nice trout dinner. Good Luck and Stay Healthy!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Thanks for the report Pensacola. This is how it should be. You don't need to hide in your house. Just use common sense and enjoy the outdoors.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola View Post
March 26 This appears to be the last nice day for a bit and it was great to get on the water which was back to 48 degrees at the surface and 47 all the way down to 60 feet. There were a few jumpers all day and some really large fish busting the surface. The placid water lasted until noon with a whisper of rain and a brisk wind just as I was leaving. From the dam I could see about a dozen boats on the lake and most were in the vicinity of the deepest part. The trolling in front of Ramp C, in about 25 feet of water, was very slow to start with at 8:30 but steadily improved. The trout were easily seen on the FF and seemed to be hanging at 15 to 25 feet. I had the small weights on the downriggers and would adjust the depth to match the fish viewed on the screen. This works well at Hagg and especially well at Diamond. Just put the weight about two feet above so they get a good peek at the offering which was Crappie Nibbles on a Wiggle Hoochie. Best troll speed seemed to be 1.5 mph. If trolled too slowly the critters just peck off the nibbles avoiding the hook. The higher speed seems to make them work a little harder and smack the lure. The higher the sun got the better the fishing. I went to just one rod because working the second downrigger ALONE makes it harder to watch the other one. Holding the rod on the downrigger is a hoot because you can stick 'em at the get go rather than making the fish do the hooking. Catch and release was fun but the biggest was 14" today and the rest of the keepers a healthy 13. The fish are bright, pink-meated AND really fat. The boating LEO was patrolling the lake to make sure folks were staying separated although I saw no stops made. Sheriff was roving on shore as well, so keep your distance.

Everything you need to have a great time is just waiting for you and there still seems to be a dearth of salmon and steelhead with the waters in the 40's. Get out to Hagg with the kids and blow off some steam with your reward being a nice trout dinner. Good Luck and Stay Healthy!
My wife and kids were out there yesterday too and had a blast.
White alumaweld stryker.
What boat are you in?

We ended up landing 8 fish. One 22" er and the rest were 12-15".
had another 6-8 drive-byes. lost 3-4 fish that were on for less than 30 secs, including our final bite that was a 22" er or bigger. it jumped a couple times before popping off.
Had another hard takedown, that broke a weak leader, that took my favorite wedding ring blade.

It's funny, we couldn't get a bite on wiggle hootchies despite have two of five rods fishing them for most of the morning/afternoon! That's two trip for me that a wiggle hootchie didn't produce(which is unusual for me). Ours were on wedding rings tipped with worms, with three landed on a 2.0 maglip on a downrigger 10 feet down.
The hot flasher was a large sling blade. My Brad's dodgers didn't produce a bite until later in the afternoon but that corresponded with changing out the wiggle hootchies for wedding rings. GO Figure!
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
Pensacola
Tuna!

March 27 Fished for three hours doing exactly the same thing(s) as on March 26.

Not a SINGLE BITE!

My guess is low pressure killed the bite!
Old 03-30-2020, 06:16 AM   #10
DeclanO
Coho

Quote:
March 27 Fished for three hours doing exactly the same thing(s) as on March 26.

Not a SINGLE BITE!

My guess is low pressure killed the bite!
Pensacola,

It was nice to meet you at the ramp!

Our outcome was very similar. We had one drive by but other than that nothing. Tried a variety of wedding rings, hoochies, flatfish, all the usual stuff.

Adjusted depth from 10' down to 30'

Saw lots of fish in the 15-20' range but nothing wanted to play.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
DeclanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #11
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Thanks for all the reports Pensacola, fishrepellor and Declan0. Sounds like there are some good days and some bad days.

Sorry to hear that the fish were practicing social distancing on the 27th

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
fishrepellor
Chromer

Yeah!
I've been skunked a couple times at Hagg. Frustrating to say the least, especially when you know the lake has fish! Always makes me wish I fished for something else instead that day!
Old 03-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #13
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Launched about 1:45 pm yesterday in the SeaDoo FishPro at Ramp C. Started across the lake at trolling speed & deployed a light chartreuse wiggle hoochie & pot the rod in a holder. Then started letting out a pink smile hoochie on with one oz of weight. At about 60’ out it gets hit & I get the reel engaged. Manage to get the fish in even though it took a run toward the ski. A nice fat 11 1/2” stocker.

Thought it might be a pretty good day, but that was it for me. Closest I got to anyone else were the Sheriff’s that came over to see how it was going.

I did realize the nitrile gloves made me remember to not touch my face with my hands, just used a sleeve instead.

Stay safe,

PDXTL
PDX Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
geterdone
Chromer

Any hagg reports from the past few days?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #15
fishingiscool
Steelhead

Very slow from shore. Fished from 2pm-5pm near ramp A. Lots of boaters and shore guys. Didnt see too many fish caught near us. Nice to get some sun though.
fishingiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:14 PM   #16
fishrepellor
Chromer

Sorry late report for Saturday!
Good fishing still
Took the kids out and limited the boat in about 3 hours of trolling. No giants this time. But good quality stockers.
Usual suspects/lures worked well. 2.0 maglip 6-7 feet down on the rigger killed the most. Had to add 1/2-1oz of lead to produce a consistent bite. Whereas the previous week was all flatlined.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #17
Pensacola
Tuna!

4/6/20 That big full moon did not do the fishing any good! Usually a limit is pretty easy trolling at Hagg but when the fish can feed all night it slows down any propensity for the trout to want to take a bait.

It was not too cold and no wind was forecast so hitting the lake EARLY seemed like a good idea. It was mostly cloudy and the sun was just thinking about making an appearance when the long line with the plug was deployed. I got it out the obligatory distance only about half way when BAM, fish on. It was a fat little 12 incher and it hit the cooler. I knew I had dinner at least!

Didn't want to waste any of the remaining lack of sun so I set about getting the downrigger rod out. I've been putting it back 75 feet and down only five in the low light situations. The plug was buzzing nicely in my fingers at I attempted to get it in the clip but it was hung up on something..... A Fish!. Hand set the hook on that one which was a little over 13 inches. In the cooler he goes and I go back to the long line. It's in place and working nicely so back to the downrigger. The counter was almost finished and I heard a splash break the quiet. Why is that fish jumping behind the bo........? The same reason the rod is all bent over and wiggley! Landed another 12 incher and as I was netting it I noticed the rigger rod was sliding across the deck to the back of the boat. A light application of my foot to the handle stopped that catastrophe in progress and a brooder jumped way behind the boat and spit the unset hook.

A bright ray of sun pierced the cloud layer and the show was over. I trolled two more hours without a sniff. I could see them on the fish finder but they had no interest in ANYTHING that I ran right under their noses.

I packed it up and headed home after a beautiful morning on the lake without a ripple on the water. A very industrious hawk was working the big green field apposite Ramp C really hard without any success. In many ways I felt blessed because I had several meals and he didn't.

Please practice social distancing to assure access to the few remaining fisheries remain open and that you remain healthy and help others to do the same.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #18
Stew
Steelhead

Great report Pensacola, thanks!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #19
anschutz1913
Chromer

Is still fishing with the kids from the drift boat a viable option for success? I have a drifter but no motor. I would plan on rowing around trolling but not sure how long I could sustain that or if I would go fast enough for trolling? Looking to get some fresh air and put my 6 y/o on a trout or two. Thank you
anschutz1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #20
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Fished on Sunday the 5th. Catching started out slow and I was catching about one an hour trolling, getting a lot of short strikes. All the early fish came a tiny crankbait. Spinner got only drive-bys in the morning.

Later in the day once the sun had been out for a while (I spent an hour or two not catching bass there) the spinner bite really turned on. I ended up with 12 for the day (best around 13-14"). I was mostly trolling along the no wake buoys at the end and I would hook 2 to 4 fish each pass. My landing percentage was pretty poor but the bite was awesome.

I stopped around 3pm but the bite was really great when I left. I wanted to make sure I got up the ramp when it was relatively empty so I booked when I saw an open window.

I will write up a long report with pics and some video later in the week but figured a quick update was in order.

I was trolling 70' back, 1/8oz on the dropper, 1/24oz roostertail + 1/2 nightcrawler or Strike King Bitsy-Minnow. Water surface temp was around 49 when I got there and around 53 when I left.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #21
fishnhuntnfool
Steelhead

Bank fished this morning, 4/7 off of South Lake Shore 2 for a couple hours. One bite on yellow power bait. Tried worms, green power bait and chartreuse, bobber, no bobber, and threw a few rooster tails.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
fishnhuntnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:13 AM   #22
CKthumper
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anschutz1913 View Post
Is still fishing with the kids from the drift boat a viable option for success? I have a drifter but no motor. I would plan on rowing around trolling but not sure how long I could sustain that or if I would go fast enough for trolling? Looking to get some fresh air and put my 6 y/o on a trout or two. Thank you

Troll until you get tired, the try a worm under a bobber and slowly drift around. Also, the boys I took were entertained by catching the little perch we found along the weed beds. However, that was summer time, so I don't know if it would work now. And, if you do get into a mess of perch, and you're good with a fillet knife, ten or twelve of them make for a tasty meal!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #23
ccpastork
Cutthroat

Hagg Lake here we come. I now have the time and amazing weather to go along with a very excited 9yo daughter, as we prep the boat for its first trout trolling trip.

I have fly fished, drift fished, spin-cast and bobber fished for trout all my life, but this will be the first time trolling. Earlier this year I took the newish boat out for a maiden Kokanee trip and did alright, but I understand trout trolling is a bit different.

I have read a lot of posts and we are armed with a variety of gear; here’️s to hoping for at least a couple to the net for her sake. If not at least we will be out doors and enjoying time together.

From what I read I can use 2 rods per person, hopefully they will help.

I will post an update afterwards.

Last edited by ccpastork; 04-08-2020 at 05:16 PM.
ccpastork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
oldsweng

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpastork View Post
From what I read I can use 2 rods per person, hopefully they will help.
Just remember you have to have the 2 rod endorsement...
Old 04-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #25
Seth in Keizer
Steelhead

What he said, they do check occasionally
Seth in Keizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #26
ccpastork
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth in Keizer View Post
What he said, they do check occasionally [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif[/IMG]
Yep, I purchased the endorsement, and here is the promised report:

On the water at 7:30 launching from Boat Ramp A, water temp 53 and sun was hitting the water. Wednesday night I tied up a batch of trolling flies, the olive green sparkle bugger and the white and grizzly mini bunny sparkle leech patterns were first up. Each was tipped with a piece of night crawler and preceded by a Brad’s Dodger and an Arrow sling blade. I decided to forego extra rods to reduce the learning curve.

5 minutes later we had a double hook up, daughter landed a a nice 14” rainbow and dad lost his at the boat. We were mid-lake trolling toward Boat Ramp C just before the No Wake buoy. We had two more hook ups (yes, dad lost his at the boat again) as we crossed the buoy line. We swung back around and followed the same line for the next couple hours and managed 4 more hookups with 2 more landed...the girl was in fire! (10:30am)

We continued trolling the buoy line while using it like a slalom course. I swapped out the olive fly for a flash egg pattern and swapped the Arrow for another Brad’s...and found the groove again, one in the boat for dad. We had many hits but could not keep them on the line for more that a few seconds, I think these were due either hook size or short strikes on the worm?

We took a break at 12:30 (5 fish in the boat for smoking) beached the boat to eat lunch and let the girl run off some energy. We resumed at 1:30 and headed to the North end of the lake and then trolled past Area C, doubles, and dad finally picked up a nice fish.

After that the bite was gone and the place turned into a zoo; skidoo’s, Wakeboarders, pleasure boats, kayaks, pontoons...a lake full. The wind also picked up and made trolling with my 15’ Smokercraft Alaskan a little challenging.

Wrapped up at 3:30, however Area A boat launch was in chaos and a couple gentlemen had some words about launch & take out etiquette. It took me an hour to get the boat out of the water.

Conclusion: 7 nice fish out of 12 solid hook ups (five lost by dad at the boat), another 10 good strikes but quickly lost. A day full of memories with my fishing partner, beautiful lake scenery, and many laughs and good natured ribbing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1BBC0312-AE02-4DF9-9034-5D04B7C53343_1586492956685.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	743329   Click image for larger version

Name:	1EFC642D-0FAE-411A-B3D8-F20B6BDBD2B3_1586493340098.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	743331  
Old 04-10-2020, 06:13 AM   #27
shanem
Tuna!

Great report. Looks like she had an awesome time, congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #28
ccpastork
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
Great report. Looks like she had an awesome time, congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you, it was an amazing day together.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #29
lilnorthfork
Sturgeon

Are there eater size perch in Hagg? If yes, anyone here target them? Ate a lot of fried perch growing up back east... squeeze of lemon and a cold beer.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #30
fishrepellor
Chromer

Report for today Saturday.
Pretty good fishing.
Started at 8 and done around noon.
Could have been done before 10 if we kept the new little stockers.
No giants but solid 12-16”
My Boy and I had fun.
Bites on everything.
Spin n glo
Wedding rings
Pink wiggle hootchie.
Tipped with worms and gulp maggots sprinkled with monster bite.
Flatlined mainly.
Plug bite wasn’t as good today. It went 2/6. I think the littles would bite it but not stick.
Ramp A to the dam area.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #31
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Lilnorthfork: Yes. I used to fish for them in October and get a lot along with Bluegills. I caught some really nice ones in the early spring a year or two after they were planted by fishing where the grass was in the water. Worm a foot and a half under a small bobber.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:12 AM   #32
adamg
Steelhead

Hey sorry to hijack the thread but just curious if a drift boat with a 80lb thrust Minn Kota would work okay for trolling hagg? Thanks
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:08 AM   #33
Pensacola
Tuna!

A 55 would work nicely at Hagg. Go gett um. I'm leaving in five minutes.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #34
watertight
Fry

Hit the water at 9A.
Started trolling from ramp c towards Sain Creek - motored from Sain towards the no wake buoys and got a strike on my gold Phoebe - fish on for 30 seconds then off.... Had 2 rods working - one with the phoebe and one with a chartreuse rooster tail added 3/8 weight to each to get them down to cooler waters.
No more strikes after that. Trolled across the lake to eat lunch and still fish in the cove just NE of ramp A.
Fished inflated crawlers and green powerbait - no takers.
Water was warm - 57 degrees in most locations dipped to 56 in one spot and 58 in another...
Wind was a problem all day. Couldn't get my anchors to stick still fishing. Gave up trying and went back to the troll and was pushed around so much I gave up.
Still a nice day - plenty of sunshine good to social distance in a place other than my house.
watertight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #35
Pensacola
Tuna!

Hagg is a put and take lake plain and simple. It is a distraction in these troubled times that safely allows folks to get out and blow off some of the cabin fever. If you had an opportunity to see the anticipated planting schedule for 2020 before it was removed you would have noticed that the numbers of fish going in are WAY DOWN from even last year. Normal plantings this time of year are usually 12,000 or 15,000. Regrettably they have been reduced to the two thousands and are being done less frequently.

With the draconian restrictions on the Columbia and the almost complete denial of access to other areas by the closure of boat ramps by counties and the state, the pressure on Henry Hagg has increased dramatically. Is this really the time to be cutting back by ODFW on one of the very few remaining venues for a little fishing and relaxation? They are very quick with emergency closures. How about a little LOVE that will make up for our nearly total access denial to our waters with a few more trout.

I really appreciate how folks are maintaining social distancing at the lake. The Sheriff Patrol at the lake is doing a great job, both on land and on the water. Visitors are very respectful of this requirement but crowds will increase with the spring weather. The bathrooms remain closed with only the Porta Potties available to protect the park's workers and eliminate multiple bodies in a confined restroom. The concessions at Ramp C are not yet open so no food service is available except at Lake Stop Grocery. Please take a moment to say thanks to the deputies and the park employees that continue to maintain this excellent facility when most others have been closed.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #36
Golfbum
Steelhead

Thumbs up Re: 2020 Hagg Lake Reports

Quote:
Hagg is a put and take lake plain and simple. It is a distraction in these troubled times that safely allows folks to get out and blow off some of the cabin fever. If you had an opportunity to see the anticipated planting schedule for 2020 before it was removed you would have noticed that the numbers of fish going in are WAY DOWN from even last year. Normal plantings this time of year are usually 12,000 or 15,000. Regrettably they have been reduced to the two thousands and are being done less frequently.

With the draconian restrictions on the Columbia and the almost complete denial of access to other areas by the closure of boat ramps by counties and the state, the pressure on Henry Hagg has increased dramatically. Is this really the time to be cutting back by ODFW on one of the very few remaining venues for a little fishing and relaxation? They are very quick with emergency closures. How about a little LOVE that will make up for our nearly total access denial to our waters with a few more trout.

I really appreciate how folks are maintaining social distancing at the lake. The Sheriff Patrol at the lake is doing a great job, both on land and on the water. Visitors are very respectful of this requirement but crowds will increase with the spring weather. The bathrooms remain closed with only the Porta Potties available to protect the park's workers and eliminate multiple bodies in a confined restroom. The concessions at Ramp C are not yet open so no food service is available except at Lake Stop Grocery. Please take a moment to say thanks to the deputies and the park employees that continue to maintain this excellent facility when most others have been closed.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #37
lilnorthfork
Sturgeon

Thanks. How big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Lilnorthfork: Yes. I used to fish for them in October and get a lot along with Bluegills. I caught some really nice ones in the early spring a year or two after they were planted by fishing where the grass was in the water. Worm a foot and a half under a small bobber.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #38
Dan Feller
Steelhead

We went this afternoon. My son, who is 10, caught 2 right away trolling a sling blade with a short leader and a blue squid. He was excited to catch them and just as excited to eat them. Both had been in the Lake a while and were nice and fat with pink meat.
Dan Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #39
boldaddy
Coho

I went out with a kayak on the 17th. Arrived at noon, water temp 59 degrees.
after paddling back and forth by the dam I dropped anchor at the SE corner of the lake. Caught a limit by casting orange Powerbait with a slow retrieve.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7279.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	743917  
boldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #40
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldaddy View Post
I went out with a kayak on the 17th. Arrived at noon, water temp 59 degrees.
after paddling back and forth by the dam I dropped anchor at the SE corner of the lake. Caught a limit by casting orange Powerbait with a slow retrieve.
Thanks for the post. Those are nice looking fish. How crowded was the lake?

Old 04-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #41
boldaddy
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcast View Post
Thanks for the post. Those are nice looking fish. How crowded was the lake?
Not too bad. lots of people on the banks, average number of boats. saw three other kayaks on the east end.
boldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #42
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Decided to take the SeaDoo FishPro to Hagg yesterday after an 0 - fer Saturday and a couple of days last weekend fishing Springers on the Willamette. Started with a pink smile Hoochie tipped with worm on one side & small perch Rapala good to about 6" depth with a small circle stinger tipped with a worm as well.

Launched at Ramp A about 8:30 & Went around the corner with a plan to run the Rapala over some of the spider blocks I have marked in the first cove up. Trolling at about 1.4 mph, got one good tug on the Rapala (not over the blocks) about 10 min in, didn’t stick. Trolled over a couple sets of blocks with no luck then headed toward the Sain Creek cove where some other blocks are. Had a good take down a few minutes after getting into the main lake from the first cove on the pink Hoochie & got the first one to the boat, 11 1/2” of bright little ‘bow.

Got one drive by on the Hoochie on the way over to Sain Creek that didn’t stick. About 7 or 10 min before I got to my target area, both rods go off. I get the Hoochie rod & start working the fish in, keeping the ski moving forward to try to keep pressure on the Rapala rod. I got the first fish in, but the second was gone by the time I got to that rod. #2 was like the first, but a bit over12”.

I decide to change the Rapala rod for one with a green/yellow small Roostertail with a gold blade & circle stinger & fresh 1/2 crawler (Thanks Rollcast!) put a fresh 1/2 on the pink Hoochie as well.started trolling to & then along the Bouy line & got a drive by on the RT. Not too long later I get one that sticks on the RT & get him to the ski. Got a little excited & got the rod tip too high with not enough line out & that fish is gone! That’s fishing.

There was a lot of stuff, sticks, grass bits, plants & the like about 2/3 the way up the bouy line & after a couple more drive by’s I decided to head in to the no wake side I was slow trolling up the middle of the lake with a plan to get up toward Scoggins Creek & then troll back toward Ramp C. It takes awhile to cover distance at 1.4 mph & I’ve caught fish there at close to 3 mph, so I kick it up to level 2, which hovers about 2 mph.

Not long after & BAM! Both rods go off. I grabbed the RT rod & tighten the drag a bit to be able to gain ground & the Hoochie rod still has line going out, so I reach back & right the drag a bit on that on as well. I left the speed up on the ski in hopes of keeping the second fish pinned. Took awhile and a few runs to get the first one in & when it got close I realized why. It was a good fish. Got it in the net & dropped both in the footwell, secured the rod & went to work on the second fish which was still on. Shut the ski down to idle & brought in the second fish. After bonking & bleeding I checked length & # 1 was 16”+ with # 2 right behind at 15”. My first double on the FishPro!

Change of plan, decided to go right back through that same line. Got the two rigs reset, deployed the lures to 80’ back again & started chasing my breadcrumbs backwards at the same speed. Only a few minutes after hitting the line (I had zoomed the chart as tight as possible) where I had started fight the first fish (wasn’t too straight after that : ) the Hoochie rod goes down hard. Last trout of the day, 15 1/2” & a fattie.

Had a limit at 11:40 AM.

Went back to the dock & traded trout gear for warm water & headed out for Crappie & Perch, but no luck with those this time. Water temp ranged from 55 to 57 degrees. Left about 4:00 PM after a fun day.

PDXTL

Last edited by PDX Tightlines; 04-20-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #43
SpaceAvenger
Fry

I went out yesterday as well. Last weekend I caught 2 good ones on Saturday but got skunked on Sunday. Yesterday was only the third time I had taken my new kayak out. Got a few more things dialed in over the last week.
I launched from C ramp and headed toward Sain creek. Caught my first and ultimately biggest trout around 9:30 right were the lake startes going into the Sain Creek arm. It was a thick 15"er. Right there I was happy I wasn't going to get skunked again. Next fish didn't hit until about 1:30. Same general area. It was a thick 12" trout. After that I was just about to go in when I met another fly fisherman in an outcast boat. He said mentioned they were hitting streamers pretty good. He had caught a couple down toward Scoggin's area. I figured I would do a run down there then back to C ramp. Turns out that was a great idea. I caught #3 between the fishing pier and the creek arm. It was 13" but not as thick as the 12" I had caught earlier. On the way back to the dock I caught #4 between the pier and the dock. This guy was 12" and still not as thick as the Sain creek pair. All in all a great day on the lake. The boats were pretty thick starting around 11:00. Saw the Sherriff give a verbal warning to some idiots who gunned their motor in the no wake zone. Still another idiot was running a speed boat all around the A ramp area like he was on meth or something. Lots of swimmers, paddle boards, joy riding kayaks, etc. I'm glad the lake is getting used but it's bordering on too many people. The county might close it down if it stays like that much longer and we're still in COVID watch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GH040001.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	743939   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH070002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	743941   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH110002.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	743943   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH120002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	743945  
Old 04-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #44
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Great job guys! Those are some nice fish you all have been catching!

Old 04-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #45
RB Drifter
Ifish Nate

After fishing the Willy on Sat eve and catching my first springer of the year, decided to take a neighbor and his boy, along with my son to the lake. Fished from about 1130-230 catching about a dozen. Most were caught on a pink, sparkely fly with a worm and two spilt shot. Primarily fished around boat ramo C and crossed over to the other side. Boys were more interested in driving the boat, 18’ open with 200hp motor. They kept saying “We have a need, a need for speed”. Nice relaxing weekend!
RB Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #46
rocketmann25
Steelhead

Been fishing quite a bit over the last couple weeks from both bank and boat. Got 16 on April 16th trolling lures and bait. Got 30+ pulling bait and lures this last Sunday. Been catching them by the dam, between Dam and Ramp A and between Ramp A & C. Some in the north end as well. Don't fish too deep. Powerbait and roostertails all day. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5509.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	744037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5471.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	744039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5498.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	744041  
Old 04-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #47
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmann25 View Post
Been fishing quite a bit over the last couple weeks from both bank and boat. Got 16 on April 16th trolling lures and bait. Got 30+ pulling bait and lures this last Sunday. Been catching them by the dam, between Dam and Ramp A and between Ramp A & C. Some in the north end as well. Don't fish too deep. Powerbait and roostertails all day. Good luck.
Thanks for the report. Did you weight the big one?

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 PM   #48
rocketmann25
Steelhead

Rollcast - It was about 5-6 lbs on a less than certified scale. That fish keeps my teenager wanting more fishing time with Dad and that's great news for me. Hope to see you out there and good luck.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #49
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Where are you guys getting your permit? The store, or is there a payment kiosk?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #50
oldsweng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Where are you guys getting your permit? The store, or is there a payment kiosk?
Yes, to both. Here is the information you are looking for.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #51
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsweng View Post
Thank you, but I was wondering if there was some changes due to the virus. Is there a machine you can insert money/get permit?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #52
rocketmann25
Steelhead

Get your permit at the Hagg Lake Store which is a couple miles short of the lake itself. Other option is to drive up towards the lake and you will see the kiosk entrance on your left. There are 3 stations. The one on the outside, far right is for credit cards only. Nobody working or taking money at the entrance area. Have fun.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #53
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Quote:
Get your permit at the Hagg Lake Store which is a couple miles short of the lake itself. Other option is to drive up towards the lake and you will see the kiosk entrance on your left. There are 3 stations. The one on the outside, far right is for credit cards only. Nobody working or taking money at the entrance area. Have fun.
Thanks a bunch. I was hoping I could just use a machine. I'm thinking of taking my pontoon next week. I've been to the lake but never fished from my pontoon. I'll need to assemble and inflate, so I'll need to figure out Ramp C etiquette so I'm not in the way for 30 minutes.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #54
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

I think there’s room at the non dock side of ramp A. Just take the ‘toon down in your rig, unload drive the rig out & then get the assembly & inflation done.

PDXTL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #55
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Tightlines View Post
I think there’s room at the non dock side of ramp A. Just take the ‘toon down in your rig, unload drive the rig out & then get the assembly & inflation done.

PDXTL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not sure how heavy your frame is but there is also room beside ramp C. You would just have to lift your stuff up and over the walkway. You could then take as long as you wanted and never be in anyone's way. The advantage of ramp A is that you don't have to lift over anything to put your stuff beside the ramp.

Last edited by rollcast; 04-24-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #56
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Rollcast - It was about 5-6 lbs on a less than certified scale. That fish keeps my teenager wanting more fishing time with Dad and that's great news for me. Hope to see you out there and good luck.
That weight is easy to believe that fish was a pig!

Old 04-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #57
Pensacola
Tuna!

Got Ripped Off at Hagg One of my good friends and fishing pardners talked me into trying 18 lb test lead core line. My first attempt had its deployment just uplake of Ramp A in about 70 feet of water where there were a significant number of marks on the FF. I decided to put that rig out again today (Apr 24th) in the same place with a Mag Lip on a 7 foot, 10 lb test bumper. It was out three colors (90 feet) and the work being done by the lure showed itself plainly on the medium action 12 to 20 wt. rod. As I reached for the other rod it sounded like something hit the boat! I looked up to see the lead line rod buried and pointing straight out the back and a very large splash followed by a POP that had been transmitted up the line by the lead core treating the rod like a speaker. As I began reeling there was a decided lack of resistance and no buzzing from the lure. The bumper was broken mid-line below the double uni knot! My guess is the tail hit the mono and broke it. I had the same lure on a surface rod back 100'. Reeled that one in and put an ounce and a half of lead on the snap and sent it out. This was on a six and a half foot Koke rod. Digging around in the tackle pack I found the 12 lb Fluoro leader and began tieing on a new heavier bumper to the lead line. Rattle, CREAK, Buzz, BAM! I set my drags light enough that the clicker will alert me when I'm "gathering wool" and my attention needs diverting. Whatever was on the other end of the line just kept going. There was 150' of 20 lb braid double unied to the backing dacron underneath. My guess is the braid had gotten under the uni knot and hung up for a second. Just long enough to place too much strain on that Koke mono bumper. Almost ten bucks worth of lures gone in about three minutes!

Two days previous I had a Lake Troll and a Wiggle Hoochie flatlined back 75 feet. I was wearing a ball cap and looking into the sun when the rod folded over. The fish made a nice splash on his first jump then another huge splash really woke me up. A young Osprey came out of the water holding the flashers and dangling a very nice 15" trout below. I hadn't seen the diving bird because of the bill on the cap and it took me a second to realize what was happening. He was ripping off line at a terrific rate. Didn't want to hurt the bird but I would at least like the flashers back. When he gave that little "shiver" that they do to get rid of water I thumbed down on the spool and he had his second bath for the morning. He took discretion as the better part of valor and coughed up the bling. When I reeled it in the fish was still there!

The attempted theft had been averted with the return of the flashers but no such luck with the plugs. Upon arriving home today I put the boat away, cleaned the fish and decided to break out the 12 lb test Ultragreen because I hate being outgunned by a fish. I don't think I'll lodge any complaints about oversized fish being stocked, however.

As a follow up on a previous post: I hit the Channel with Jack Glass on April 23rd. Five trips for salmon this year and not even a sniff for me or the boat.
The lines went in at Fred's and I settled in for the grind. Rod holder creaked and I set the hook. Fought the fish for about ten seconds and GONE. Pulled in the rig. Jack added a little stinkum and I put it back out. Got the rod in the holder and FOLD! A nice 13 lb hen was welcomed aboard and provided a free wood shampoo. A short bit later, another folded rod and a carbon copy of the first fish was netted. Regrettably, this one had not had surgery and she was released to quietly continue her journey.

This will all make for good reading in future years in the fishing log when we look back on Covid 19.

Keep your distance and stay healthy!
Old 04-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #58
Golfbum
Steelhead

Thank you for your great reporting

Quote:
Got Ripped Off at Hagg One of my good friends and fishing pardners talked me into trying 18 lb test lead core line. My first attempt had its deployment just uplake of Ramp A in about 70 feet of water where there were a significant number of marks on the FF. I decided to put that rig out again today (Apr 24th) in the same place with a Mag Lip on a 7 foot, 10 lb test bumper. It was out three colors (90 feet) and the work being done by the lure showed itself plainly on the medium action 12 to 20 wt. rod. As I reached for the other rod it sounded like something hit the boat! I looked up to see the lead line rod buried and pointing straight out the back and a very large splash followed by a POP that had been transmitted up the line by the lead core treating the rod like a speaker. As I began reeling there was a decided lack of resistance and no buzzing from the lure. The bumper was broken mid-line below the double uni knot! My guess is the tail hit the mono and broke it. I had the same lure on a surface rod back 100'. Reeled that one in and put an ounce and a half of lead on the snap and sent it out. This was on a six and a half foot Koke rod. Digging around in the tackle pack I found the 12 lb Fluoro leader and began tieing on a new heavier bumper to the lead line. Rattle, CREAK, Buzz, BAM! I set my drags light enough that the clicker will alert me when I'm "gathering wool" and my attention needs diverting. Whatever was on the other end of the line just kept going. There was 150' of 20 lb braid double unied to the backing dacron underneath. My guess is the braid had gotten under the uni knot and hung up for a second. Just long enough to place too much strain on that Koke mono bumper. Almost ten bucks worth of lures gone in about three minutes!

Two days previous I had a Lake Troll and a Wiggle Hoochie flatlined back 75 feet. I was wearing a ball cap and looking into the sun when the rod folded over. The fish made a nice splash on his first jump then another huge splash really woke me up. A young Osprey came out of the water holding the flashers and dangling a very nice 15" trout below. I hadn't seen the diving bird because of the bill on the cap and it took me a second to realize what was happening. He was ripping off line at a terrific rate. Didn't want to hurt the bird but I would at least like the flashers back. When he gave that little "shiver" that they do to get rid of water I thumbed down on the spool and he had his second bath for the morning. He took discretion as the better part of valor and coughed up the bling. When I reeled it in the fish was still there!

The attempted theft had been averted with the return of the flashers but no such luck with the plugs. Upon arriving home today I put the boat away, cleaned the fish and decided to break out the 12 lb test Ultragreen because I hate being outgunned by a fish. I don't think I'll lodge any complaints about oversized fish being stocked, however.

As a follow up on a previous post: I hit the Channel with Jack Glass on April 23rd. Five trips for salmon this year and not even a sniff for me or the boat.
The lines went in at Fred's and I settled in for the grind. Rod holder creaked and I set the hook. Fought the fish for about ten seconds and GONE. Pulled in the rig. Jack added a little stinkum and I put it back out. Got the rod in the holder and FOLD! A nice 13 lb hen was welcomed aboard and provided a free wood shampoo. A short bit later, another folded rod and a carbon copy of the first fish was netted. Regrettably, this one had not had surgery and she was released to quietly continue her journey.

This will all make for good reading in future years in the fishing log when we look back on Covid 19.

Keep your distance and stay healthy!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #59
Johnandhis4x4
Chromer

Fished hagg on sunday from my boat, fish seem most interested in wedding rings with worms behind a fender. My daughter caught a couple which is what I was most interested in.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #60
BillyBear
Fry

Fished Hagg in my little Valco on last friday 4/24/20. Overcast, water temp 58 degrees. slow bite.

I stuck to trolling a Jack o' Diamonds flasher with a 12" leader to a nightcrawler about 100' behind the boat. Kept 3 in the 15" range and tossed back 4 10"+ trout.

Good way to pass the time and forgot all about the CV19 thingy for a while, that was the best part about the day.

Last edited by BillyBear; 04-27-2020 at 11:10 AM.
BillyBear is offline   Reply With Quote