OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Big Game Fishing

Default OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

I got this in my email today. I already cancelled or declined trips as I don't see how it's possible to maintain social distancing on the boat and keep everything disinfected.

Opinion from OSMB:

The Oregon State Marine Board has reviewed Governor Brown’s Executive Order No. 20-12 regarding its impact to Outfitter Guides and Charter operators in Oregon.

In summary, we believe that EO20-12 effectively limits this type of operation in many circumstances. Here is a summary of our review, plus pertinent parts of the executive order. Note that this is not a legal interpretation and is based only on our review of EO20-12. Business owners will need to make their own decision on how to comply with Governor Brown’s order.

Summary:

Paragraph 1A immediately prohibits non-essential social gatherings outside of a home if distances of six feet between individual cannot be maintained – difficult or impossible to implement in the operation of most of Oregon’s six-pack guide boat operations and probably most charters.

Paragraph 10 states when telework and work-from-home options are not available, businesses must designate an employee or officer to establish, implement, and enforce social distancing policies. These policies must address how the business will maintain social distancing protocols for business-critical visitors. Be prepared to present your policy and policy enforcer to law enforcement upon request.

Paragraph 18 states that all public and private campgrounds are to be closed immediately, further restricting the ability for the public in general to launch boats on the water. Be aware that you are encouraging more people to use stressed facilities such as public restrooms, if they are even available.

Paragraph 22 specifically directs individuals to minimize travel except for essential travel. While “workplace” is considered within “essential travel,” and guides and charter operators work from their boats, travel by your clients would not be considered essential.

Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.

Cyndi Bolduc
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate

Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
I got this in my email today. I already cancelled or declined trips as I don't see how it's possible to maintain social distancing on the boat and keep everything disinfected.

Opinion from OSMB:

The Oregon State Marine Board has reviewed Governor Brown’s Executive Order No. 20-12 regarding its impact to Outfitter Guides and Charter operators in Oregon.

In summary, we believe that EO20-12 effectively limits this type of operation in many circumstances. Here is a summary of our review, plus pertinent parts of the executive order. Note that this is not a legal interpretation and is based only on our review of EO20-12. Business owners will need to make their own decision on how to comply with Governor Brown’s order.

Summary:

Paragraph 1A immediately prohibits non-essential social gatherings outside of a home if distances of six feet between individual cannot be maintained – difficult or impossible to implement in the operation of most of Oregon’s six-pack guide boat operations and probably most charters.

Paragraph 10 states when telework and work-from-home options are not available, businesses must designate an employee or officer to establish, implement, and enforce social distancing policies. These policies must address how the business will maintain social distancing protocols for business-critical visitors. Be prepared to present your policy and policy enforcer to law enforcement upon request.

Paragraph 18 states that all public and private campgrounds are to be closed immediately, further restricting the ability for the public in general to launch boats on the water. Be aware that you are encouraging more people to use stressed facilities such as public restrooms, if they are even available.

Paragraph 22 specifically directs individuals to minimize travel except for essential travel. While “workplace” is considered within “essential travel,” and guides and charter operators work from their boats, travel by your clients would not be considered essential.

Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.

Cyndi Bolduc
Did you request this. I have received notices in the past, but did not receive anything from the OSMB regarding this.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
Old 03-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
Big Game Fishing

No, it just showed up in my inbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
Did you request this. I have received notices in the past, but did not receive anything from the OSMB regarding this.
It appears the local Guides did not read the memo from the Oregon Marine Board. Multnomah Channel is plugged with guides especially the Scappoose area today. It is my opinion they will get the whole river closed down because of their greed. Below is the last chapter of the letter that went out to guides, pretty clear the agency that issues the guides license said STAY HOME.

“Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.”

Cyndi Bolduc
Old 04-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
It appears the local Guides did not read the memo from the Oregon Marine Board. Multnomah Channel is plugged with guides especially the Scappoose area today. It is my opinion they will get the whole river closed down because of their greed. Below is the last chapter of the letter that went out to guides, pretty clear the agency that issues the guides license said STAY HOME.

“Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.”

Cyndi Bolduc
Deeplines, I wouldn't classify it as greed, guys are trying to survive. Unfortunately, instant gratification is gonna likely make the hurt of this last longer.

I figure June may already be lost. If cases spike bad this could eat into ocean and B10 fisheries. Not good.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

The department put this out today, they are looking!
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/202...ril/040320.asp

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
The department put this out today, they are looking!
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/202...ril/040320.asp
Here is a letter from ODFW we already saw a letter from the Oregon Marine Board they both say the same thing, stay home if you can’t do social distancing. This letter from ODFW is a shot across the bow, I’m afraid people just don’t get it. We’ll stay home when they close it.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:
Deeplines, I wouldn't classify it as greed, guys are trying to survive. Unfortunately, instant gratification is gonna likely make the hurt of this last longer.

I figure June may already be lost. If cases spike bad this could eat into ocean and B10 fisheries. Not good.

I would agree if the food on your table was brought to you by your guide business. I see one full time fireman that can probably leave it on the trailer and be fine.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #9
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
I would agree if the food on your table was brought to you by your guide business. I see one full time fireman that can probably leave it on the trailer and be fine.
I know some guys that are in pretty tough places right now.

My cash flow situation isn't great, but I have the title to my boat and my house. I am working 2-3 side gigs to keep some cash coming in. It isn't fun working for a lot less than you know your worth, but sitting around waiting for somebody else to make things better isn't my style either.

Anyone fishing right now, especially guides, is taking a huge risk in my opinion. With the social distancing orders and emails from OSMB, if something bad happens on the boat the owner/operator could possibly be found negligent for being out there at all under current circumstances.

Read the fine print of your policies.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #10
NEUTRON
Sturgeon

Quote:

Gee - would that be? So much concern for everyone's safety - WHY are YOU out there?
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
redneckty1
Ifish Nate

Quote:

I fear you may be right.

If this lasts till B10 there is going to be an awful lot of aluminum for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #12
Flatfish
King Salmon

If the govt says it's unsafe for customers (Plural) to sit in a guide boat, then there's no reason to be out there.

Not money.

Not-I gotta feed my family.

This is bigger than one person/business.

On top of all that, if a guide who refuses to follow simple instruction out of selfishness or greed gets it shut down........it's a small community. Said person will be less than popular if one of the few remaining hobbies gets closed off because of the greed of a few short sighted individuals.

Imagine the reaction from the fishing public.... if a it gets closed down because of a few guides who didn't think basic human safety rules didn't apply to them.

I have friends who guide. They are sitting at home right now. Because they have respect for the safety of their clients.... Their families..... And everyone else that they may come into contact with.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Old 03-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #13
redneckty1
Ifish Nate

It went out to all registered guides.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #14
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckty1 View Post
It went out to all registered guides.

Apparently, not ALL guides.

RR

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
Old 03-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:

RR

I would not mind knowing which guides are fishing with a boatfull of clients?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #16
Big Game Fishing

Quote:

RR
You should contact Cyndi and make sure she has the right email address. They had an old email for me so I didn't get the renewal email and had to call them to sort it out.

I'm pretty impressed with Cyndi Bolduc, she's always done me right whether I walked into the office, over the phone, or via email. She's the easiest governmental agency I think I've ever worked with.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
Josh Fisherman
Tuna!

I haven’t renewed yet for this year and I got the email.

Cyndi is awesome and deserves respect/appreciation. I asked her once if I could send some flowers to her office “for her desk” she went far and above to get me on the water one year. She said no but thank you...

Thank you Cyndi for your continued hard work!
Learned #71 "Fish Whistle"

Traditional Dory Experience Provider

Last edited by Josh Fisherman; 03-27-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #18
Afb
Chromer

Yet we can still go golfing in Portland if we want to.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #19
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate

Quote:
You should contact Cyndi and make sure she has the right email address. They had an old email for me so I didn't get the renewal email and had to call them to sort it out.

I'm pretty impressed with Cyndi Bolduc, she's always done me right whether I walked into the office, over the phone, or via email. She's the easiest governmental agency I think I've ever worked with.
I will. Thanks. Checked all, even spam, with nothing. I get the Newsletter. So it be a head scratcher.

And yes Cyndi is wonderful. Busy gal. Leave a message and she WILL call back soon.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
Old 03-30-2020, 12:51 AM   #20
redneckty1
Ifish Nate

Quote:

RR

Oh, it went out to ALL guides.

The OSMB is very good, Cyndi in particular. They keep track of guides better then any state I have seen yet. Makes me feel a little bit better about the 2600 check I get to write.

That said I typical run single party trips. I still canceled all of my trips after the 17th I think. Before it was mandatory. It's not worth the risk, I'll figure the financial stuff out later.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #21
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:

The OSMB is very good, Cyndi in particular. They keep track of guides better then any state I have seen yet. Makes me feel a little bit better about the 2600 check I get to write.

That said I typical run single party trips. I still canceled all of my trips after the 17th I think. Before it was mandatory. It's not worth the risk, I'll figure the financial stuff out later.

A guides license renewal is $2,600? That should thin the heard a little.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
redneckty1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
A guides license renewal is $2,600? That should thin the heard a little.

Has been that way for the last three years.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #23
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate

Quote:

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
Old 03-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #24
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Well apparently you have access to my email!!?? Maybe you could kindly point to where it is for me? It may have been intentionally sent to all guides, but as I said, after checking ALL my email, I did NOT receive it. Furthermore, as I said, I receive the quarterly newsletters. But I did not receive this particular notice. Cyndi confirmed the correct address. In the future, I suggest not coming off so condescending.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #25
ampersat
King Salmon

Quote:
Note that this is not a legal interpretation and is based only on our review of EO20-12. Business owners will need to make their own decision on how to comply with Governor Brown’s order.
How did you determine that OSMB is stating that fishing guide operations are not legal under the restrictions of EO20-12?

The days are long but the years are short.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #26
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post
How did you determine that OSMB is stating that fishing guide operations are not legal under the restrictions of EO20-12?
You know what, I'm wrong. I misinterpreted it I guess.

I'm still not running trips till these restrictions are lifted.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #27
ampersat
King Salmon

Per their guidance, it's not outright illegal to engage in guided fishing trips.
It would be difficult to meet the requirements of EO20-12 while on a trip and it's probably not profitable to do so. And at the end of any day there's the possibility that as a guide you'd end up catching the virus and taking it home to your family.
I feel for all of the folks who make their livelihood based on the fishing season this year. It's going to be a tough go of it. Hopefully we all see better days ahead.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

The days are long but the years are short.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #28
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post
Per their guidance, it's not outright illegal to engage in guided fishing trips.
It would be difficult to meet the requirements of EO20-12 while on a trip and it's probably not profitable to do so. And at the end of any day there's the possibility that as a guide you'd end up catching the virus and taking it home to your family.
I feel for all of the folks who make their livelihood based on the fishing season this year. It's going to be a tough go of it. Hopefully we all see better days ahead.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
That's why the title of my thread had the word "likely".

I cancelled trips two weeks ago because I didn't think travelling to the Portland area myself, and encouraging clients to travel from places like Seattle, Tri Cities, Boise, and Yreka was wise given the circumstances and possible consequences.

I love to fish. I have the greatest gig in the world.

I get to be a part of someone's first fish, their biggest fish, and in some cases, even their last fish. I'm honored and grateful to be a part of every trip.

I can sit on the sidelines if it helps this whole mess.

Someday soon my boat will be on flat water as the sun starts to peek over the eastern horizon. A rod will bend, reel will sing, adrenaline will flow, fish will hit the deck, smiles, high fives, and even shouts of excitement will be shared.

At that point I won't lament the days I didn't get to fish, they will have been totally worth it.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:10 PM   #29
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Well said Jim.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:43 AM   #30
Bladdershy
Tuna!

Hasn't anyone seen the models and how fast this thing's growing??. Any guide would be negligent at the least to book a boat full of strangers right now.. let's use some common sense people
Old 03-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #31
RWTIII
Tuna!

Quote:
That's why the title of my thread had the word "likely".

I cancelled trips two weeks ago because I didn't think travelling to the Portland area myself, and encouraging clients to travel from places like Seattle, Tri Cities, Boise, and Yreka was wise given the circumstances and possible consequences.

I love to fish. I have the greatest gig in the world.

I get to be a part of someone's first fish, their biggest fish, and in some cases, even their last fish. I'm honored and grateful to be a part of every trip.

Someday soon my boat will be on flat water as the sun starts to peek over the eastern horizon. A rod will bend, reel will sing, adrenaline will flow, fish will hit the deck, smiles, high fives, and even shouts of excitement will be shared.

At that point I won't lament the days I didn't get to fish, they will have been totally worth it.
Well said, worth repeating!!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #32
piscean
Tuna!

I dont think its time to interpret law/measure/request..word by word and should be looked as what's the crux of it. One has to be very deranged in order to fill up the boat (the clients who want fish that bad must be just totally like Ron White says 'you can't fix stupid').
I don't think it's a battle of I read the law or measure correct. If you get the gist and understand the point that it's to curb this widespread epidemic, it should be good enough to satisfy your query. Even though its not enforced....at times like this the measure should be 'enforced' not in terms of it's a must but more like 'I care for you' as a friend or just because I know you through the forum.
I'm sure someone will come up with cheeky comeback but than again...Ron White encourages me to just overlook it...cuz...cmon everybody..say with me.. YOU CAN'T FIX S+#%[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #33
fishrepellor
Chromer

Much respect for you Big Game!!
No way guides should be operating right now.
Or going fishing with buddies even. Unless you take two different rigs.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #34
NEUTRON
Sturgeon

I haven't sprung for many guided trips in my life but here is a person I'd like to book some day in the future:

"I love to fish. I have the greatest gig in the world.

At that point I won't lament the days I didn't get to fish, they will have been totally worth it."
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #35
Soulakala
King Salmon

The only way I could see social distancing for guide trips would be a string of small skiffs hooked like a train with an aluminum pole at least 6 foot long between each skiff all being pulled around by the guide in his boat. Each skiff would have a two way speaker system to interact with the guide, its own pre-rigged bait on ice, a net and at least two poles ready for bait.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #36
piscean
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
The only way I could see social distancing for guide trips would be a string of small skiffs hooked like a train with an aluminum pole at least 6 foot long between each skiff all being pulled around by the guide in his boat. Each skiff would have a two way speaker system to interact with the guide, its own pre-rigged bait on ice, a net and at least two poles ready for bait.
What will they call it?? COVID SPECIAL....OR CORONA EXPRESS

Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #37
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscean View Post
What will they call it?? COVID SPECIAL....OR CORONA EXPRESS

How about cho-cho trolling.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #38
Pacific Fisher
Chromer

In San Francisco Bay authorities have been checking boats to verify that all persons in the boat are from the same family (household) in order to be considered in compliance with sheltering rules.

Craig Bell
Old 03-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #39
Bladdershy
Tuna!

Still big open sleds on the river in OC with every chair filled up. 5 dudes total.. must be all brothers huh?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #40
PDXanglr
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post
Still big open sleds on the river in OC with every chair filled up. 5 dudes total.. must be all brothers huh?
They will be responsible for getting fishing shut down statewide...
Old 03-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #41
fishrepellor
Chromer

Check the junk/spam folder??
I’ve had important emails get filtered out

Quote:
Quote:

Well apparently you have access to my email!!?? Maybe you could kindly point to where it is for me? It may have been intentionally sent to all guides, but as I said, after checking ALL my email, I did NOT receive it. Furthermore, as I said, I receive the quarterly newsletters. But I did not receive this particular notice. Cyndi confirmed the correct address. In the future, I suggest not coming off so condescending.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #42
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrepellor View Post
Check the junk/spam folder??
I’ve had important emails get filtered out
Yup, twice. That is why I commented that I checked ALL my email. Cyndi has since resent it too me and came through fine.

RR

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #43
db25181
Coho

I saw a guide with four people last week at Coon island. They were all about the same age and were being tended to like a guide trip
Old 04-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #44
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

A Willful act is a bad word......
Old 04-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #45
pearl
King Salmon

Received from ODFW last night but looks like it was released a couple days ago.

Continued fishing and hunting depends on social distancing: ODFW staff monitoring fishing locations

April 3, 2020

SALEM, Ore.— Most fishing and hunting seasons remain open in Oregon, but participants should continue to comply with social distancing and other guidelines set forth in the Governor’s Stay Home, Save Lives order.

While ODFW does not enforce regulations such as the Governor’s Order, a significant number of ODFW staff who work in the field are also monitoring recreational use at many fishing, hunting and wildlife viewing locations in the course of their regular duties. US Coast Guard, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Oregon State Police, Oregon State Sherriffs’ Association and other entities are also observing the actions by Oregonians and potentially visitors to Oregon. Adherence to the order while recreating can help prevent more closures.

With good weather and low tides coming up later in spring/summer, ODFW is also stepping up monitoring of clamming on the coast. Staff will be out this weekend to monitor recreational and commercial harvest of razor clams along beaches in Clatsop County to determine the level of harvest and behavior of clammers (e.g. social distancing). Information gathered from this weekend’s surveys will help inform decisions about future actions regarding harvest seasons during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We’ll continue to monitor fisheries and do everything in our power to be sure it isn’t contributing to the transmission of the virus,” said Director Curt Melcher. “If we do see anglers, clammers or others are not following the guidelines and endangering themselves and others, then we may need to modify fishing seasons.”

ODFW has been working with the Governor’s office and other state agencies to address crowding and health concerns related to COVID-19, and encouraging adherence to the Stay Home, Save Lives order. The order does allow for outdoor recreation as long as the guidelines for social distancing are followed.

Just as hiking and biking are allowed, getting outdoors and fishing is a healthy way to get fresh air and exercise during this difficult time provided the guidelines are followed. Governor Brown’s Stay Home, Save Lives Executive Order requires that everyone:

Practice social distancing and stay six feet away from anyone who doesn’t live in your immediate household, including when outdoors.
Stay close to home rather than travelling far. The Governor’s Executive Order says hiking and outdoor activities are OK, but to limit travel.
Stay home if you are sick.
Wash hands frequently.
Carry needed supplies with you to minimize non-essential stops—including buying your license online instead of making a trip to a license sale agent.
While seasons are open, access to many areas are closed. State Parks are closed, national forests have closed established recreation areas and some counties and cities have closed access to boat ramps or other locations. Please check the access restrictions where you are headed before going.

Salmon and steelhead fishing in the Columbia River is also closed, as this fishery is managed concurrently with the state of Washington where all hunting and fishing is closed. Walleye and other fisheries remain open on the Columbia River.

“We thank anglers, hunters, clammers and all people recreating outdoors for following the guidelines,” said Melcher. “The outdoors provides an important outlet during this difficult time. We want to keep these seasons open provided they don’t contribute to the spread of COVID-19.”
###

Michelle Dennehy, (503) 947-6022, [email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #46
deeplines
Steelhead

Click image for larger version

Name:	21F08267-6E61-4CC1-83CB-2094D5FE9473.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	743039

One of many on the Willamette Slough. Sorry it’s to grainy to see the name on the side
Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #47
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Quote:
Attachment 743039

One of many on the Willamette Slough. Sorry it’s to grainy to see the name on the side

I’m having trouble blowing it up enough on my phone to see much, but I don’t see a name or a guide sticker. Lots of guys have big sleds that aren’t guides; maybe they’re a family?

Old 04-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #48
bllelk
Tuna!

Location: In a tent down by the river in Elkton, most of the time

I've seen three boats in the last two days come by me on the Umpqua. No social distancing, not guides. Two jets with people under the cockpit covers, one drift boat.
I wonder if the jet boat jockeys wiped off the handle of the gas pump or washed their hands?
I'd hate to see fishing completely shut down by these kind of yahoo's.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #49
Clackriverrat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllelk View Post
I've seen three boats in the last two days come by me on the Umpqua. No social distancing, not guides. Two jets with people under the cockpit covers, one drift boat.
I wonder if the jet boat jockeys wiped off the handle of the gas pump or washed their hands?

The same could be said for Moron Bank Fisherman Fueling their cars to get to the river And how do you know the people in those boats don't live in the same house?
Old 04-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #50
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllelk View Post

Seriously, people wipe off the gas pump handle before they use it, not when they are done. The next person to use it will take care of business.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #51
slinger
Chromer

Quote:
Attachment 743039

Awesome...

If fishing gets closed in this state it will be because of people like this.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #52
Proteus503
Chromer

Quote:
Attachment 743039

So, we're spying / reporting on our fellow citizens / neighbors now? This is how liberty dies.

Protect and worry about yourself and your own family. Beyond that, mind your own business.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #53
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus503 View Post
So, we're spying / reporting on our fellow citizens / neighbors now? This is how liberty dies.

Protect and worry about yourself and your own family. Beyond that, mind your own business.
Come on, were in the middle of a world wide Pandemic with no known cure that is killng people. Social distancing is our only defense. If you want to break the rules on this one I will call you out. STAY HOME.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #54
Clackriverrat
Chromer

Quote:
Attachment 743039

You do not know a Damn thing about these people! For all you know they are quarantining together in the same house! Go Home You Mrs. Kravitz
Old 04-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #55
B Dog
Ifish Nate

If you pop someone’s tires they can’t get out of your town! ???

So if I have a house in Hammond, have WA plates on my truck, and OR plates on my boat. Is my boat ok but not my truck?

All kidding aside I have stayed home in WA. This sucks and you do what you need to do. I just hope once it’s all over the big city money still finds its way into these small town that depend on it.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #56
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dog View Post
If you pop someone’s tires they can’t get out of your town! ???

So if I have a house in Hammond, have WA plates on my truck, and OR plates on my boat. Is my boat ok but not my truck?

All kidding aside I have stayed home in WA. This sucks and you do what you need to do. I just hope once it’s all over the big city money still finds its way into these small town that depend on it.

That's exactly what someone said pop the tires and they are hanging around even longer.

A lot of good comments and judgement on this thread and some not so. Good grief if Washington residents started thrashing out of state vehicle tires Jacks Country store would have no one. Yesterday driving by the majority of vehicles were out of state, even saw a Utah plate on a Subaru. I read "Crabbaits" comment on what they were doing in his neck of the woods; if indiscriminately driving around they take away your plates for 2 weeks and if caught driving without plates bye bye car.

From what I see if things don't change soon we will have total lock down. Our daughter lives in the Seattle metro area and they think by not going to the store and buying all their meals as takeout reduces their risk. And they drop off stuff on these daily trips to friends and spend a few minutes catching up on BS. I told them might be a good time to use that stove at home more often.

The idea of getting out in boat basking in some vitamin D sunshine would be helpful right now but unless they can limit that to only locals it would only encourage those from Portland and Seattle metro areas to head on down for some fishing.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #57
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clackriverrat View Post
You do not know a Damn thing about these people! For all you know they are quarantining together in the same house! Go Home You Mrs. Kravitz
x2
Old 04-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #58
Hunt-man
Steelhead

There is a lot of strong self righteous fear and paranoia going on here.
If you are high risk in anyway be very careful. Stay home. Let others do your shopping. But not everyone is high risk.
And this current pandemic is no Spanish Flu. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html
We also have antibiotics and ventilators now and medicine is much better.
It is ok to go outside. Keep your distance. Wash your hands.

Don't go all tribal and start shaming and tire slashing etc.
The current level of closures and paranoia is overkill. We live in a culture that is always going to "An Abundance of Caution" in all cases. Stupid.
Even with keeping our distance this CV is going to run around in the population for a while and may even come back at some point. That is historically what happens.

I don't think we can stay inside forever. The hope was to flatten the curve. Not sure we have even achieved much of that.

Please be nice to one and other. And wash your hands and stay away if you are sick or been around any sick people...
Old 04-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #59
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-man View Post
If you are high risk in anyway be very careful. Stay home. Let others do your shopping. But not everyone is high risk.
And this current pandemic is no Spanish Flu. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html

The current level of closures and paranoia is overkill. We live in a culture that is always going to "An Abundance of Caution" in all cases. Stupid.
Even with keeping our distance this CV is going to run around in the population for a while and may even come back at some point. That is historically what happens.

I don't think we can stay inside forever. The hope was to flatten the curve. Not sure we have even achieved much of that.

Please be nice to one and other. And wash your hands and stay away if you are sick or been around any sick people...
WOW! More and more people with some common sense are speaking up.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #60
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-man View Post

100,000 to 200,000 DEAD are the predictions. Guess I’m wrong again, I’ll wait for my ventilator it won’t be so bad.
Closed Thread