Fish checking and moored boats - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
ampersat
King Salmon

Default Fish checking and moored boats

Another discussion on the board has me wondering: how do the DFWs monitor catches made by folks who moor their boats?

I've had the pleasure once or twice of hopping aboard a friend's boat moored somewhere for a day of fishing. A few times we've come back to the slip with fish and yet there's no Fish and Wildlife person there to account for our catch, check the snout for a tag, etc.

If a boat returns to a public boat ramp, most often there's a nice someone there to ask:
- what time did you get started?
- how many folks on the boat?
- whereabouts were you fishing?
- did you release any fish?
If you were lucky enough to land some keepers, scale samples are taken and snouts are removed if there's a tag present. Over the years I've received several postcards back informing me what hatchery produced my delicious fish and in what year.

What protocol do WDFW and ODFW use to account for fish taken by folks whose boats are moored?

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Modest_Man
Tuna!

Default Re: Fish checking and moored boats

They do aerial flyover surveys where they count boats fishing and then compare the numbers to the amount creeled at the boat ramps. You can get an estimate of the total number of boats fishing and what percentage get checked by creelers and extrapolate the data gathered at the ramps to the fleet as a whole.

They even have a bit of the equation that takes into account how much lying people do when creeled at the ramp.
Modest_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest_Man View Post
They do aerial flyover surveys where they count boats fishing and then compare the numbers to the amount creeled at the boat ramps. You can get an estimate of the total number of boats fishing and what percentage get checked by creelers and extrapolate the data gathered at the ramps to the fleet as a whole.

They even have a bit of the equation that takes into account how much lying people do when creeled at the ramp.
That can work reasonably well when there is only one fishery being conducted. Not so good if there is a shrimp opener on a day when crabbing is open. Or boats out shrimping when halibut season is open.
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
Jared Jorgensen
Ifish Nate

I haven't been checked for a few years of springers, but I have hope their statistical model covers it for management purposes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Jared Jorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote