pot holes 5/14 and 15 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Thebulletman
Steelhead

Default pot holes 5/14 and 15

just got back from pot holes.
let me just say i was very disapointed. i was under the impression the large and small mouth was good. i beg to differ. i caught one smallie under a pound.
went back in the dunes and found lots of good structure but no large mouth. not sure if i would make the drive again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
tnj8222
Tuna!

Default Re: pot holes 5/14 and 15

Its a great lake. Have had banner days on potholes for smallies and largies. Gonna be working on walleye there this year.
tnj8222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
phil strader
Steelhead

I've had days on fisheries that are KNOWN to be really good when I just couldn't get on 'em....generally it challenges me to go back and figure out what I did wrong. potholes is a pretty sh****n good fishhery, it is a long drive, but don't get discouraged. Challenge yourself to learn something. If bass fishing was as easy as throwing a four inch senco everywhere, and catching all the fish you wanted.....it really wouldn't be that rewarding to me. It's the challenge of figuring out different fisheries, patterns, and habits, that make it fun.

Good luck on your next trip, where ever it might me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
_Bassmaster_
Steelhead

I was there too. The weather wasn't helping us either. They had a 25mph wind that produced ocean like waves and never let up. You could head to one end of the lake through all of the chaos to hope for some calm conditions, then the wind would turn and it would start all over again. I just cought one fish too. At least it was a pound larger than yfz450guys's...haha. I love that place though!! Here is my uno fisho!!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
outonalimb
Steelhead

Travis, that lake kicked my butt last year too about this time. We fished all over the place and managed a 4.7 smallie in the dunes. That's where the largies are supposed to be as I was told and it was the middle of the day on a rattle trap sight fishing!! My friend was beside himself. After 4 hours seeing a few here and there not catching anything I said how bout a wake up call! and threw int he trap and wham landed that pig. We never touched or saw another fish. As we left we talked to several guys who were slaughtering the smallies, they go every year and just know some spots. We stopped and fished the big c to get our confidence back
outonalimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
_Bassmaster_
Steelhead

My son caught a walleye n the dunes on a hula grub(3lbs) and I caught a 5 lb walleye on a spinnerbait...and we were there to catch bass!!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
sbasser
Chromer

Really glad to see that Venom is still in business. I'd heard that they went TU. I've had amazing days with the 5" Super Doo's, fished unweighted with a 1/0 EWG. I found their website, but is there anybody that stocks Venom around the NW?

P.holes is one of those places where everything looks fishy, but the fish are not just everywhere. A lot like Silver Lake, in that regard! It takes awhile to find the kind of places that hold fish. A lot of the water is too shallow, or too deep, or without any depth changes. I've had my best days there on the mainland shore on the east bank, not too far up Crab creek, in Spring. When the water is down, look for drops on the edge of the main lake. An East wind is totally NG there, so you may as well head for Mardon's restaurant for some or the barn, whichever is closer. C&R, Steve
sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
_Bassmaster_
Steelhead

No, they are still around...I am getting them put in a few local stores around here as well as my new website I am working on. Check them out!!