Complete noob needs outboard advice - Johnson 5 1/2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
stefrobrts
Cutthroat

Default Complete noob needs outboard advice - Johnson 5 1/2

Hi, I bought an old 12' Gamefisher last fall, and I haven't had it out yet. The motor is a Johnson 5 1/2. It looks like this:
https://outboard-boat-motor-repair.c...el%20CD-CDL-19

It did not come with a fuel line, but it does have a tank. I don't know how long it has been since it was last run. I bought it from the family of the late owner.

I do not know anything about outboards. I have worked on cars before, so I have tools and some knowledge of how engines work. Can anyone advise me on what to do first to get this fired up and running? I'm having trouble even figuring out what fuel line I need to get for it. Is this a 2 stroke engine? It it going to be mixed gas and oil or just gas? Any help is appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
AlK
Steelhead

Default Re: Complete noob needs outboard advice - Johnson 5 1/2

2 stroke, I would say 50-1 gas-oil. You need 2 stroke oil to mix with gas. In addition to fuel line you need a primer bulb and connector fittings one for the motor and one at the tank. Make sure the primer bulb is orientated the correct way.
AlK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
shanem
Ifish Nate

If you need parts for it check out marineengine dot com. You can look up by model or serial number

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
luckyr
Tuna!

It’s going to need a new water pump too. It might start right up if the gas was ran out of it before it was put away. Good luck.
luckyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
LGB
Tuna!

You should be able to replace the fuel line with a pre assembled fuel line kit including the primer bulb and fittings for the tank and motor. Fuel should be the E-0 no ethanol type if you can get it and as stated add the 2 cycle oil (rated TC-W3). E-10 gas could cause damage to the internal rubber parts if the engine was made before ethanol was added to the fuel and it appears ours was. Also there is some unconfirmed suggestion that the ethanol may interfere with the oil in 2 cycle engines.

Before you try to start the engine replace the rubber impeller in the water pump. There are lots of videos on how to do this. Although the impeller might look good the rubber gets hard and will start breaking into pieces that can clog the cooling system. The impeller should be replaced every 3 to 4 years regardless of wear. I would also replace the thermostat at the same time....you will probably need a thermostat cover gasket too.
Drain the oil from the lower unit and replace it. If it has water in it (it may look milky) then there is a problem with the seals that will need repair. There are videos on how to drain and replace the lower unit oil. Pump it in from the bottom drain hole until it runs out the top hole.
If you don't know how long it has set I would pull the spark plugs (clean or replace them) and put a small amount of motor oil (or spray fogging oil) in the cylinders and turn the engine over to distribute the oil. I like to coat the spark plug threads with anti seize compound (made for use on aluminum).

Next I would grease all the zirk fittings with a good marine grease. Also take the prop off and apply grease to the out put shaft. I like to use StaLube's blue marine grease but there are other that work....just don't mix them as some are not always compatible (different soap bases).

Now you are ready to try starting it. The lower end either needs to be submerged in water above the cavitation plate or use the clam shell cups (called motor flushers) attached to a garden hose. The water pump MUST have water or you could burn up the rubber impeller in less than 15 seconds. Pump the primer bulb until you fill the carburetor then try to start the engine. Shortly after it starts you should see a small stream of water coming out of a pee hole which indicated the water pump is circulating water. If there is no peeing it could be because the hole is clogged (bees and spiders like to use the holes as a home) You might check this before you try starting.

If the engine starts and runs you next test will be on on a body of water to see if it runs at all throttle settings and while in gear. If not then the carburetor may need cleaning or rebuilding (kits are available).
After that I strongly recommend adding some Seafoam additive to your fuel. It helps preserve the fuel in storage and also does a good job of cleaning the internal engine parts and fuel system. Helping remove carbon that can build up in 2 cycle engines. Chevron's Techron marine also works for this purpose and has a additive to coat the fuel system agains corroson.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by LGB; 05-24-2020 at 08:39 AM.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
stefrobrts
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB View Post
Fuel should be the E-0 no ethanol type if you can get it and as stated add the 2 cycle oil (rated TC-W3). E-10 gas could cause damage to the internal rubber parts if the engine was made before ethanol was added to the fuel and it appears ours was.
Thank you, that all helps a lot!

One more question, I do not know much about these different gas types. Where can I get the E-0 type gas for it?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
541 Native son
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefrobrts View Post
Thank you, that all helps a lot!

One more question, I do not know much about these different gas types. Where can I get the E-0 type gas for it?
It's also known as "Clear Gas or Pure Gas". Here's a website that lists where to get it. Looks like 8 stations carry it in Vancouver currently. It's definitely more expensive than the ethanol containing stuff!

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA
Despite our ever-changing world, with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood.
541 Native son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
ccw
King Salmon

I love my Sea Horse 2-stroke. So reliable. Trolls right down. Zippy. Smells like the best days of my life as a child.

Don’t believe it if some says it’s too noisy to troll shallow water with and will scare away the fish; they’re misinformed.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

They are not a 50 to 1 motor, more like 35 to 1. Maybe modern oils will make a difference?
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
stefrobrts
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
I love my Sea Horse 2-stroke. So reliable. Trolls right down. Zippy. Smells like the best days of my life as a child.

Don’t believe it if some says it’s too noisy to troll shallow water with and will scare away the fish; they’re misinformed.

CW
This boat is nicely outfitted, so I think the previous owner had it set up just right for his fishing. I have a good feeling about it, once I get it all going. The boat has an electric trolling motor as well, and I was able to test it out. I just need to get this little outboard running.

One more question - how heavy is this motor? I would like to put it on a stand while I do a little work on the hull.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
541 Native son
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefrobrts View Post
This boat is nicely outfitted, so I think the previous owner had it set up just right for his fishing. I have a good feeling about it, once I get it all going. The boat has an electric trolling motor as well, and I was able to test it out. I just need to get this little outboard running.

One more question - how heavy is this motor? I would like to put it on a stand while I do a little work on the hull.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Johnson_...2/bpe/57e10638
Despite our ever-changing world, with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood.
541 Native son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
stefrobrts
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 541 Native son View Post
Perfect, thanks!
Old 05-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
Browndog2
Steelhead

Default Re: Complete noob needs outboard advicre - Johnson 5 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
They are not a 50 to 1 motor, more like 35 to 1. Maybe modern oils will make a difference?
Browndog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #14
Roady
Tuna!

Default Complete noob needs outboard advice - Johnson 5 1/2

Is the boat aluminum or fiberglass? I sold my little fiberglass Gamefisher last year. Kinda wish I’d kept it. After restoring it a bit, it was one of the nicest ones I ever saw around. Loved the live well/cooler built into the center bench. My son and I caught a lot of fish over the years from that boat. It was perfect for Battle Ground, Kress, and Horseshoe lakes. Tons of ways to modify them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Roady; 06-03-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote