Roller ferrules? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 05-31-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
JeffO
Chromer

Default Roller ferrules?

Even though I'm a damn grownup (really! stop snickering, everyone who knows me!) my folks still send me birthday $$. So I have this guilt free money I need to spend on myself. I was looking at what I think were halibut rods at Cabelas the other day; 6' long, STOUT, rated for 80-lb test, etc. The most expensive ones had roller ferrules. Worth it?

Have never so much as wet a line for halibut but l intend to in 2020 if conditions align enough to safely let me out there in Reel Boy, and I do like to buy nice gear... buy once, cry once.

JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Default Re: Roller ferrules?

Much prefer quality standard guides over roller guides. Lower maintenance, no chance you could lose a big fish to braid getting cut off on your rollers (this happened to me). I converted both of my roller rods to standard and have never looked back.

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
bait boy
Ifish Nate

I have a Loomis pelagic series roller rod that i have had zero issues with. they come with Aftco rollers, and are pretty tight tolerances. where you run into issues is on bargain rods the rollers are not so tight, and braid will not stay on the tip roller and slide down causing binding and possibly breakage. other than that I like a little action in the tip on my halibut rods.

YMMV
Team Time out
Team Sea Ya
Resident Tuna guy
bait boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
Brine Shrimp
Tuna!

Rollers and braid don’t mix well. Some people use them, but I don’t see the need for them here. The roller does a nice job cutting your braid if you get tip wrap.

Lots of cheap rods will do the trick just fine. I used an ugly stick 80-130 tiger lite for a guest rod last trip and it felt pretty good.

If you want nicer, my dad got a shimano tallus, 65-200 I think it is. Nice rod and I like the 7’ length. I like the shape of the foregrip.

I use a trevala XH, only cause I got a killer deal, but I’ve grown to like it quite a bit.
Brine Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Jeff, roller guides and tips are way more trouble than they are worth, and on the softer rods I prefer, they are pretty much useless. Roller tips will help with line wear on very stiff rods because the line leaves the rod at a sharp angle. With a softer tip, the tip is pointing almost straight down when loaded up, so minimal stress on the line with a standard tip.

Really stiff rods are terrible for halibut fishing for more than one reason. When a halibut gets grumpy, they will do a bunch of vertical bucking that can be nearly impossible to keep up with on a stiff rod. There is very little cushion to help keep the line tight and the hard jerking on the hook can and will open up the hole the hook made.....A softer tip automatically keeps the line snug with far less variation in line tension.

Add to that, in my opinion, and you can prove it to yourself, a softer, well dampened rod will get more bites. I think that you can prove this to yourself by watching all of the Gopro halibut video's on YouTube. On the video's from choppy days the vertical action of the rod jerking the bait up and down clearly make it difficult for the following halibut to get the bait. At times the fish just leaves after a number of tries.

Make it easier to eat the bait, not harder....Pulling the fish up, keep the line tension steadier, avoiding hard jerking....That hard jerking also makes halibut get grumpy, and that's not a good thing. Give yourself the best chance of catching the fish....Halibut fishing can be tough enough without beginning the day with a couple strikes against you.

(Opinion) Softer, well dampened tip with adequate backbone is the way to go with a halibut rod. I have caught four halibut between 70 and 85 lbs on my $20 Daiwa 30-50 yellow fiberglass rod. It handled the fish with ease. I'm not saying that is the rod to get, because the guides and tip damage easily. Something with a similar flex and excellent tip and guides would be a great rod for halibut.

A very long rod butt is not good because the reel is too far away, as is the foregrip. This is another thing that Daiwa got right on their cheap price leader rods. The butt is about right and the foregrip is right where I like it for lifting a heavy fish, plus the foregrip is extra long so I can use the rail if I want. As long as the fish isn't grumpy, it can be nice to let the rail take the load off the back for a while.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 06-01-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Joe Evens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
xplorz
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dog View Post
Much prefer quality standard guides over roller guides. Lower maintenance, no chance you could lose a big fish to braid getting cut off on your rollers (this happened to me). I converted both of my roller rods to standard and have never looked back.
Ditto! Same exact (sad) story.
xplorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

I have a couple roller tip heavy boat rods. OK for tuna trolling as long as you keep constant pressure on them. If your gear gets to jumping around and/or bouncing outta the water the line can get slack(especially braid) can get between the roller and guide. I use them for dredges, archer bars or daisy chains and they seem to work fine. I wouldn't use them for bottom fish/halibut.
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

I think rollers were more used before the super tough materials for guides that handle spectra and heavy pressure were made. Mono wouldnt groove a metal guide, spectra sure will.

But I see a lot of very experienced fisherman that target very large tuna etc with roller rods. I think what was mentioned earlier is very important. Cheap roller guides, very bad. Good quality rollers (AFTCO) will serve you well.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
Chukarhead
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Evens View Post
Jeff, roller guides and tips are way more trouble than they are worth, and on the softer rods I prefer, they are pretty much useless. Roller tips will help with line wear on very stiff rods because the line leaves the rod at a sharp angle. With a softer tip, the tip is pointing almost straight down when loaded up, so minimal stress on the line with a standard tip.

Really stiff rods are terrible for halibut fishing for more than one reason. When a halibut gets grumpy, they will do a bunch of vertical bucking that can be nearly impossible to keep up with on a stiff rod. There is very little cushion to help keep the line tight and the hard jerking on the hook can and will open up the hole the hook made.....A softer tip automatically keeps the line snug with far less variation in line tension.

Add to that, in my opinion, and you can prove it to yourself, a softer, well dampened rod will get more bites. I think that you can prove this to yourself by watching all of the Gopro halibut video's on YouTube. On the video's from choppy days the vertical action of the rod jerking the bait up and down clearly make it difficult for the following halibut to get the bait. At times the fish just leaves after a number of tries.

Make it easier to eat the bait, not harder....Pulling the fish up, keep the line tension steadier, avoiding hard jerking....That hard jerking also makes halibut get grumpy, and that's not a good thing. Give yourself the best chance of catching the fish....Halibut fishing can be tough enough without beginning the day with a couple strikes against you.

(Opinion) Softer, well dampened tip with adequate backbone is the way to go with a halibut rod. I have caught four halibut between 70 and 85 lbs on my $20 Daiwa 30-50 yellow fiberglass rod. It handled the fish with ease. I'm not saying that is the rod to get, because the guides and tip damage easily. Something with a similar flex and excellent tip and guides would be a great rod for halibut.

A very long rod butt is not good because the reel is too far away, as is the foregrip. This is another thing that Daiwa got right on their cheap price leader rods. The butt is about right and the foregrip is right where I like it for lifting a heavy fish, plus the foregrip is extra long so I can use the rail if I want. As long as the fish isn't grumpy, it can be nice to let the rail take the load off the back for a while.

I agree with all of this. Ugly Tigers in 20-50 or 30-80 on the high end are great, cheap, and widely available. There are tons of good jigging rods on the market for a few more bucks now, too. I left a Okuma Cedros up in Alaska last year that I love--pretty sure it was the 6' or 6.5' heavy rated for 65-150 braid (I'd say it's more like a 40-lb setup). My buddy bought a roller-tip pool cue for halibut last year...we all hate it. Tough to hook up, tough to feel what's going on below, fatiguing to fish. Ugh. No problems with the roller, but the fact that it needs a roller in the first place should have been a huge red flag.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
JeffO
Chromer

Thanks fellas. I have not been to Cabelas yet, maybe today when I go pickup some materials for my shop. I also have some Amazon money to spend, and am looking at Ugly Stik's and Okuma's on there per your suggestions. Having a tough time knowing if I'm after a Heavy or Extra Heavy here. I don't want a pool cue, OTOH I hear you guys talk about dropping 4 lbs of lead hundreds of feet deep...

Last edited by JeffO; 06-02-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
Thanks fellas. I have not been to Cabelas yet, maybe today when I go pickup some materials for my shop. I also have some Amazon money to spend, and am looking at Ugly Stik's and Okuma's on there per your suggestions. Having a tough time knowing if I'm after a Heavy or Extra Heavy here. I don't want a pool cue, OTOH I hear you guys talk about dropping 4 lbs of lead hundreds of feet deep...
I just ordered a diawa preutes rod 7ft xhf a bit pricey for a halibut rod but am getting tired of the broom stick my self. In shallower water I like a longer rod. Deep all go back to the broom stick . Good kuck

As too the roller. I had one on my heavy rod and took it off as it was difficult to keep perfectly vertical under a load and would get bad chaffing of the line. I ended up going back to a standard tip.

Last edited by Reel fortunate; 06-02-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #12
Brine Shrimp
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post

You can probably err on the side of too light. Us small boat guys rarely get a forecast to fish the truly deep spots that are 30 miles out (550-850 is deep to me). And if you do, the lighter rods will still work. I fish 50lb or 65lb braid and don't own a weight larger than 40oz. I usually get away with 32s.
Brine Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #13
JeffO
Chromer

Thanks again guys. I just went to the big C and bought a 5' Okuma SST "Halibut" rod today.... I guess because it says halibut right on it so, I mean, there's THAT (lol) and because I like my other SST rods... and finally I'm a bit of an Okuma fanboi because they make/made fantastic machine tools.

Last edited by JeffO; 06-02-2020 at 02:18 PM.