AK in June, fishing suggestions? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
kriznol
Fry

Default AK in June, fishing suggestions?

My work will have me in Fairbanks, AK in early June. I'm hoping to take some time off and explore while I'm up there, as I've never been to Alaska. I'm looking for recommendations on fishing up there that time of year, or any sights that I might want to check out. Driving or flying to the coast for some ocean fishing is a possibility, but I'm not sure where I'd want to head or what fishing would be good that time of year. Thanks!

kriznol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Cool Re: AK in June, fishing suggestions?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses on fishing down in South Central for salmon fishing. I'll share a couple of low-budget options closer to FB. Is this early or late June?

1.) Drive from FB to the Steese Hwy and fish the Chatanika River for Grayling. Need waders and heavy trout or light steelhead gear. Silver spinners with red. Stay at Cripple Cr campground (BLM), it's right on the river. Day trip up to Eagle Summit and day hike in the White Mountains. June is pretty early but you might get lucky and see Caribou. There are a couple other campgrounds in the area - Mt. Prindle and Ophir Cr, both BLM.

2.) Drive to Denali NP and take the tour (cheap) bus all the way to Wonder Lake. World class wildlife viewing. Pretty much guaranteed to see bears, dall sheep, caribou and moose. May get lucky and see wolves.

Come prepared for bugs. Have fun!
SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Default Re: AK in June, fishing suggestions?

Oh yeah. Be prepared for bugz. LOL.
Drive to North Pole and check out that cute lil' town.
Then hop on the Richardson hwy south. Watch for the Knotty shop, a few miles out.
Back to FB. Ask directions to some of the humongous gold dredges in the area. Think there was something like 40 of them left
after the big gold rush.
Check out the Pump House restaurant and lounge on the Tanana river. Quite a history there too.
Maybe take a paddle wheeler ride up the Tanana. Perty cool ride.
Far as fishing? Grayling here n there. Maybe some Turbot if ice fishing is still an option. Which I doubt.
Go up and cross the arctic circle and pat the pipeline as you go by.
Eat lots of sourdough pancakes and get your own starter kit.
Go meese and bear viewing. Lots to do.
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
kriznol
Fry

Thanks for the info, Stu. This will be early June. My work conference ends on June 5th, so I'll be free to play after that.
kriznol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Weather can be a bit freakish up there. Snow is not out of the question that time of year, especially at a little elevation. They don't call them the White Mountains for nothing. Denali too. When I was there last it was mid-July and in the mid-80's

SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:11 AM   #6
LineIsTight
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoastStu View Post
Weather can be a bit freakish up there. Snow is not out of the question that time of year, especially at a little elevation. They don't call them the White Mountains for nothing. Denali too. When I was there last it was mid-July and in the mid-80's

Stu, you are the man!!! You managed to catch those fish in an all but dried up river! Nice work...
LineIsTight is online now   Reply With Quote