Smoked salmon (in this case, kokanee) carbonara - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 09-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
jackchinook
Cutthroat

Default Smoked salmon (in this case, kokanee) carbonara

This was about try #3 with this and I think I've settled on a recipe. I'm trying to use up some hot-smoked kokanee that's been in the fridge for about as long as one should keep it there!

As background, I'm coming at this with a fish-eating vegetarian wife, a 10yo who'll eat pretty much anything, and a 7yo who's wizard-level picky.... so I had my doubts it'd be a success.... but it was.

Ingredients:
  • 16oz pkg of fettucini, linguini, spaghetti, etc.
  • 3 eggs
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • A bit of chopped parsely and/or basil
  • Roughly half-pound of smoked salmon, flaked/chunked up, bones picked out. Tonight I used hot-smoked kokanee done on a simple br. sugar/salt dry brine.
  • 3 tablespoons white wine
  1. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Cook your pasta al dente
  2. While pasta cooks, beat the eggs with milk, salt, pepper in a bowl. Set that aside.
  3. In a large frying pan, heat butter and olive oil over medium. Add the bay leaves and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add in your smoked fish, and saute for a few minutes. Then add in some parsley and/or basil. I used both. Saute for a minute and finish off with some white wine. Cook another 1-2min to allow the booze to cook off.
  4. Once done, drain the pasta, then add it to the pan with the fish and herbs. Mix it up well after removing it from the heat.
  5. After no more than about a minute after removing it from the heat, add in the egg mix. Mix up really well, trying to keep egg from dripping down into the bottom of the pan where it'll scramble. The object here is for the heat of the pasta and fish to lightly cook the egg mix, but not get scrambled eggs! You want a nice, even, light coat of egg mixture on your pasta but also don't want raw eggs either.

Serve it up with more crushed black pepper and some grated romano or parmasen .... and reserve some of that white wine for yourself!

jackchinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
steelhed58
Chromer

Default Re: Smoked salmon (in this case, kokanee) carbonara

Sounds delicious. When you're sauteing the bay leaves I assume you remove them when you add the smoked fish right? Have you tried this recipe without the eggs added? Thanks for adding this recipe out here.
steelhed58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
jackchinook
Cutthroat

Yeah, after letting the bay leaves “sweat” in there, you can remove them. I imagine you could leave them in a pick around them too. I always try to minimize the risk of turning a kid off a dish.

You could certainly leave out the egg for a lighter dish. I prefer the heartiness the egg adds.
jackchinook is offline   Reply With Quote