Agent Orange news. - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 04-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Default Agent Orange news.

https://www.military.com/military-re...-veterans.html

Hope this link works. But, apparently the judges have recommended that the Navy drop the fight against the blue water Navy Nam vets! Opening the way for medical expenses to be covered by unca Sam, for those that were exposed to the nasty agent orange.
Just got the news from an old Navy bud, so haven't read it all yet.
So take it all with a double handful of salt.
Good news for a ton of people I hope. Something like 90,000 of us?

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Default Re: Agent Orange news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
https://www.military.com/military-re...-veterans.html

Hope this link works. But, apparently the judges have recommended that the Navy drop the fight against the blue water Navy Nam vets! Opening the way for medical expenses to be covered by unca Sam, for those that were exposed to the nasty agent orange.

Just got the news from an old Navy bud, so haven't read it all yet.

So take it all with a double handful of salt.

Good news for a ton of people I hope. Something like 90,000 of us?

I hope those medical and disabilities payments are retroactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagleclaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleclaw View Post
I hope those medical and disabilities payments are retroactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Somewhere in the article, it mentioned that it doesn't matter what year served,
and that if any of the diseases mentioned in said article, were found in the vet, It was considered service related.
Seemed kinda like a wide open statement to me. But you need to read through all the links provided. Which I haven't as of yet.
But every time I go into VA for my yearly checkup, they ask me if I was exposed. Because I DO fall into a couple of the categories mentioned.
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

This shows hope for us vets that the VA has denied service-connectedness for our problems. I have been denied twice after developing B-cell Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma from exposure to Trichloroethylene while performing depot maintenance on Nike-Hercules launchers in the Army.

From the article-

"I am grateful for you in making these considerations," Blumenthal said, adding that he'd like to see the VA do more research on toxic exposures on the modern battlefield. "The potential poisons on the battlefield are one of the greatest challenges of our time."

Committee chairman Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Georgia, also promised a hearing later this year on burn pits and other environmental exposures some troops say left them with lifelong illnesses, including cancers -- some fatal -- and respiratory diseases.

Isakson added, however, that the VA needs to care first for Blue Water Navy veterans. "If it happens, we are going to be in the process of swallowing a big bite and chewing it," he said.

The diseases considered presumptive to Agent Orange exposure, according to the VA, are AL amyloidosis, chronic B-cell leukemia, chloracne, Type 2 diabetes, Hodgkin's lymphoma, ischemic heart disease, multiple myeloma, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Parkinson's disease, early onset peripheral neuropathy, porphyria, prostate cancer, respiratory cancers and soft tissue sarcomas.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease, in a veteran who served 90 days or more in the military is automatically considered service connected, regardless of date of service.
stumpyin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Scary stuff isn't it?
Thanks Stump for posting that.
Also. Google up "The Zumwalt report". It say's that a lot of these diseases were also visited on the vets children and
grand children!
That is what scares me the most! Considering one of my daughters contracted Hodgkin's Lymphoma at 16 yrs old.
And we are all wondering about my g-kids. Several have VERY low immune levels since an early age.
And it just domino's it seem's.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Ground troop got this a few years back, so it's way past time for sailors to be included. The problem, of course, it has been many decades of denials where many of those affected have already died from their exposure. It's good to see the military/VA finally showing recognition, but there's only a handful of people left that qualify. It shames the US for its horrible treatment of service men and women.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Think the article says there are about 90K blue water sailors that were probably exposed.
I know several that were over there, that have had cancer, or still have it.
One suffered from Leukemia and survived, only to get killed in a car wreck. One of my cousins was a lifer in there,
and made multiple cruises over there during the Nam thingy. He has cancer of some sort now. He was a plank owner on our
first nuke carrier, the Enterprise. Another friend was in the brown water Navy, and was exposed multiple times, in the Mekong
Delta, and got some napalm dumped on him too. He's missing one kidney, due to cancer, and has had several warnings on his other kidney.
It just goes on an on.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Nam guys and gals are dying of old age now if not for some form of cancer. Think of how much the government has saved by refusing to provide treatment for all of them that are here no longer.

I also consider how vets of the original Gulf War are being treated after breathing all of the toxic smoke from Sadam's burn and retreat moves. I think the VA finally acknowledged some but not sure how deep they went. And even if they don't have cancer by now what about the PTSD impact? The US needs to stop damaging its young people that serve.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
Nam guys and gals are dying of old age now if not for some form of cancer. Think of how much the government has saved by refusing to provide treatment for all of them that are here no longer.

I also consider how vets of the original Gulf War are being treated after breathing all of the toxic smoke from Sadam's burn and retreat moves. I think the VA finally acknowledged some but not sure how deep they went. And even if they don't have cancer by now what about the PTSD impact? The US needs to stop damaging its young people that serve.
Aye aye. X2
Old 04-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
freespool
King Salmon

Roger that.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

just wondering how Navy personnel were exposed? We were artillery and ate that stuff everyday. VA has denied me 3 times when I made claims for skin problems and bone and joint problems. Maybe with the new claim for diabetes I might get somewhere before I die
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #12
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

For those that had exposure I wish them well. Too late for my older brother and so many others. He passed away several years ago from this weapon of war. Not even a kiss my arse from Uncle Sam.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiteaser View Post
just wondering how Navy personnel were exposed? We were artillery and ate that stuff everyday. VA has denied me 3 times when I made claims for skin problems and bone and joint problems. Maybe with the new claim for diabetes I might get somewhere before I die
The blue water sailors were exposed through their fresh (fresh?) water supply,
on board the ships.
Salt water was processed through desalination plants on board. But didn't filter out the agent orange, that had flowed off of the land mass, and out of the Mekong river, into the South China Sea.
Also there were the "brown water navy" people that cruised up and down the coasts and in the Mekong river on small craft. Gun boats. They were without a doubt exposed to it, same as the Army, and Marine, and Air force ground personnel.

Last edited by Fishfeet; 04-15-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
freespool
King Salmon

Agent Orange was mixed with oil so when applied it would not wash off leaves when it rained.
So clouds of AO would drift out and settle on the ocean surface, where Navy ships would suck it up into their desalination system.
The other way was by aircraft flying through AO then returning to the ship.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote