New Lo An report from 10-17. 2.75 day trip - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 10-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Default New Lo An report from 10-17. 2.75 day trip

I may add more later. Not pic heavy.

Went with 6 of us from Oregon on a private charter 2.75 day on the NLA. 22 anglers. Targeting bluefin and ignoring the small yellowfin that people had been loading up on.

Got on the boat Monday around 11. Seemed like it took a while to get rolling. Adam was Captain. He was very picky about which locker of bait he would accept. He must have looked at a dozen to find what he wanted.

Made some mackerel sitting at the receiver. Headed out late afternoon to where they left them biting the day before. We only had about an hour but couldnt get any bait fish to go. Spent about an hour after dark with flat falls but nada. Never had a flat fall fish on the trip. Apparently they havent been working well this year but a guy on the dock said they got into a bunch of decent YFT on flat falls the night before we came in.

At daylight we looked for a school and found one and started the slow pick. I think we moved to 2-3 different schools throughout the day. A guy named Jon from Encinitas hooked a fish first thing on 40# gear and fought it for 90 minutes without ever seeing it an pulled the hook. He went back to fishing and landed one that looked to be right at 100# on the same gear. Then about an hour later a 80-90 pounder. Dude was super fishy.

Once the sun came out we dropped to 30# flouro and #4 circle hooks and most bites were on long soaks (unless you were Jon).

we ended day one with 14 BFT 30-100#. Most in the 40-50 range. and 15 yft from 20-40#.

Still no flat fall action in the dark early or late.

A couple were hooked deep dropping and grinding Colt Snipers but neither were landed.

Day two was a tough bite. Boat ended with 25 more mostly BFT.

Not much on the kite or balloon. Nothing really big. They ate mostly Macks on the double trouble although they baited the rigged flying fish but I dont think they landed any on frozen flyers.

I used an Avet 2 speed MXL wide spool 2 speed with 50# tuff, 75' of 40# flouro and 6' of 30# flouro to a #4 mutu circle hook. My rod is a Daiwa Proteus 8’ HF. Great versatile rod About a third of the fish hooked were lost. Lots of casualties with the light gear.

I ended up hooking 6, broke the line on one, got chewed off on one and landed 3 bft to 60# and a 25# yft.

I think the bigger bft took me almost an hour and I had to push my drag up to almost sunset to get it broke free from deep color and to the gaff. But I had my drag backed off and was user a lot of thumb.

Finesse fishing for sure. I never got bit on my 40# outfit.

From Oregon were Marty, Punzel, Les, Terry from Prineville, Tom Fender (first trip for him) and myself. We eneded up pooling our catch of 17 fish and dividing them evenly.

5 star processing is saying they will not ship sooner than 2 weeks after our trip. But fisherman's wasnt open. So that is what it is.

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 10-18-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Default Re: New Lo An report from 10-17. 2.75 day trip

They sure are finicky fish, nice job! Another Oregon/Washington crew going around the 1st and our group going the 12th. Never know what the day will bring. Can't say that Adam doesn't do all he can to get you on the fish like the bait pickyness and going where he thinks best regardless of the miles put on the boat.

I pulled rods off the boat last weekend and time to start going through gear. Thanks for any tips on what was working or not
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

What Adam recommended was a 15-25’ flouro to spectra. No 100’ mono top shots.

That’s what I saw the good sticks using.

I’d have a rig with 50# spectra to 30# flouro and a #4 owner Mutu circle hook.

My 40# rig was my JX filled with 65# spectra to 30’ of 40# flouro.

My 50# rig was my HX Raptor with 80# spectra to 25’ of 50# flouro and a 5/0 ringed circle hook for an 8 oz sinker rig fishing 200’ deep with a Mack. A few nice bft were caught on that. Not for me.

My flat fall rig was my HXW Raptor with 100# spectra to the 200# crimped leader. On my heavy Cal-Star 766x

I took my little SX for 20#. But with the long soaks I wasn’t comfortable with the lack of line capacity. Never used it. Never dropped to 20. Too many 40# bft for that

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 10-18-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

I appreciate the info. I got a rental last year for Jen and it had a 100' floro topshot of 60# or so and it was a pain to fly line dines on. Much easier with 5-15' directly to braid. I'm rigging up from 25#-80 setups and a spinner for whatever we get blessed with.

A couple years ago on schoolie bfts it made all the difference using 25# test and #2 owner ringed j hooks, I think I loaned out all I had as it got bit over 30-40# and bigger ringed hooks.

Was it hard hooking baits with #4 circle hooks? I get much under 2/0 circle and have trouble hooking baits like sardines so I go to j hooks if I go small. May have to bring some small circles.

Last edited by Quiet Riot; 10-18-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
chrome obsession
King Salmon

Hey thanks for the detailed report, it’s much appreciated. I am also with the group Nov 12th. Good to know what to prep for though it’s a month away. This will be my first trip like this, all the input I can gain is helpful.

None the less, looked like a darn good time to me. Getting some good tasty eats.

God is good
24' NR Seahawk. F/V T-Sea-Time
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 09,10,13,14,15,16,17,18,19.Team aqua Dominion/No Bail/Meanwhile charters.
1st place OTC (DCC) 2019 champs.
chrome obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

It took me a while to use small circles on small baits.

I’d say 90% were shoulder hooking. Especially on a long soak.

On the slide nose hook. Weight. Nose hook. No drift. Butt hook.

I hold the unringed circle in my left hand with the point sticking out of my fingers. Before I grab a bait with my right hand. Keep them in the water as much as possible.

#4 non ringed owner mutus or mustad Demons were what was used on this trip.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
flatocean
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
It took me a while to use small circles on small baits.

I’d say 90% were shoulder hooking. Especially on a long soak.

On the slide nose hook. Weight. Nose hook. No drift. Butt hook.

I hold the unringed circle in my left hand with the point sticking out of my fingers. Before I grab a bait with my right hand. Keep them in the water as much as possible.

#4 non ringed owner mutus or mustad Demons were what was used on this trip.
On the Royal Star couple of weeks ago fishing off Guadalupe for 50 to 100 lb yellowfin we we using #2 either circle or J ringed hooks to 40lb fluorocarbon. Some were nose hooking but most were shoulder or belly hooking (just at the fins where there is some gristle) so the bait will swim away from the boat. Nose hooked bait tends to stay at the boat and the key is to get your bait out there. We we putting 50+ fish a day on the boat. The key is to match your hook to the size of the bait. Amazing a #2 hook held a 100lb tuna just fine
Flatocean
boat (Nancy J)
flatocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
tfonev
Chromer

First trip for me, and what a great time. 22 guys on a 65’ boat for three nights took me back to my Navy days.

The subtleties of who’s doing what to get bit more, when we’re all doing what would appear to be the same thing - I’m still ruminating over. Lighter gear was not necessarily the secret though. After I spent an hour on the rail fighting one of those monsters (hook pulled) I no longer entertained taking the 30 lb gear off the rack.You just don’t know what’s going to eat your sardine. The high liner on our trip was fishing 50lb flouro.

Nobody landed a fish on a sniper, but maybe 5% of the total effort was directed that way. I didn’t have a dedicated set up for that, but I will next time (the ideal gear array is financially quite daunting!). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	732451Seeing those giant boils within casting distance was torture without a ready tool.
tfonev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

I wonder about putting a big single hook on the snipers, wonder if that would help. Getting excited for our trip.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

There’s a debate over single or treble on snipers. But the hook needs upgraded regardless. Based on our experience on alabacore. I opted for trebles. One size bigger. 4x strong.

The two sniper hooked fish were Marty and Les. Marty went single. Les went treble. Both fell off. So?
Old 10-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
tfonev
Chromer

The hook Les had pinched on was really big and heavy. I would have though it would mess with the action, but he got bit. Maybe an assist hook? They sure seem to stay in.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

I’ve heard of putting 2 assist hooks on the tail. Should work
Old 10-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Thanks for the input guys, I tried two assist hooks on the top of a couple snipers for albacore but they got bit noticeable less than factory rigged or just changing out the tail hook. Flatfalls get bit just fine with extra assists up top though. Maybe I'll try assists on the tail instead of the treble and one with a big single instead of treble. Albacore season ran out so testing season up here is over. Time to test on the real thing I guess when I go.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

We tried singles a lot during Albacore season. Decided one click larger and heavier worked best. Still got bit
Old 10-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
We tried singles a lot during Albacore season. Decided one click larger and heavier worked best. Still got bit
Sounds good and same conclusion I think sun dog and others had.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #16
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Sounds good and same conclusion I think sun dog and others had.
A lot of the guys that post up on Bloody Decks use either the extra strong inline single hooks or the 5x strong Owner trebles (ST76-TN). Plus stronger Owner split rings. For their stick baits, poppers, and colt sniper jigs. I'm bringing extras of both styles of hooks, and split rings, if anyone on our trip needs an upgrade

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
Tinman

Having grown up fishing the So Cal party boats, it's ingrained in me that light line and small hooks often carry the day. The light gear can, and often does, outfish standard gear by 4 or 5 to one. Sometimes it takes an absurdly small hook (down to size 6) to get bit, but experience shows the little hooks hold quite well. I've caught a lot of school yellowfin on 12 pound line and a size 6 hook.

I've also learned how important it is to get a live bait out away from the boat. Casting anchovies and sardines is high art down there, and for good reason.

Here in Oregon, our live-bait methods are often quite crude by comparison. Simply dropping a bait straight down is a common method, rather than casting. Leaders with snap swivels are sometimes used. Hooks tend to be large. It all works because we have such a huge biomass of eager albacore up here. There just isn't as much need for finesse fishing. But for those slow days, I think small hooks, light line, and casting a 'chovy 40 feet could be deadly. Such methods will evolve in time, by necessity.

Last edited by Tinman; 10-20-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #18
Rymart
Tuna!

Quote:
A couple were hooked deep dropping and grinding Colt Snipers but neither were landed.
Hi, on the Nov 12th trip also. Could you please further define deep dropping and grinding Colt Snipers? By that description I picture fishing them like we do flatsides for albacore... vertically with a fast retrieve? What size/colors got bit?

Thanks again for the report!
Rymart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #19
tfonev
Chromer

I didn’t see them fished that way exactly. Captain Adam talked about a guy on the trip before us that was fishing vertically and then ripping them up with a cordless drill! Evidently he did pretty well. From the report they were targeting smaller fish. 100g was what I saw, different colors.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
Califbill
Chromer

As to fish processors, I think 5 star is owned by H&M just like they own Fisherman’s.
Califbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymart View Post
Hi, on the Nov 12th trip also. Could you please further define deep dropping and grinding Colt Snipers? By that description I picture fishing them like we do flatsides for albacore... vertically with a fast retrieve? What size/colors got bit?

Thanks again for the report!
80 and 100 grain.

Blue or silver with tan back.

What Tom said above. Drop, stop it with your thumb, twitch, drop more, twitch. When you’re scoped out grind up.

Marty caught a 90 pounder last month. Bit on the drop and twitch. Both guys were bit on the drop twitch on our trip. But the drill guy was on the grind.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #22
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Colt sniper is a flutter jig....as a Megabait is a flutter jig. They are not vertical speed jigs. A flutter jig gets 90% of hookups as the jig is sinking. You have to feel for the bite, or the tick, or the hesitation...as the line is going out or the tip is being lowered. Sometimes the line just completely stops as you let it sink; that’s the suicide bite.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #23
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Except for the guy with the cordless drill who killed multiple bft on the speed grind

On albacore this summer Gary got very good at getting bit on the sink-twitch ala Marty.

But hooked quite a few on a slow steady retrieve. So....?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
tfonev
Chromer

Joe had a day when a sniper in his blue cord spread was the most successful lure
Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #25
Booja 1
Tuna!

Afta getting off Lo An Thurs morn my bud n I jumped on anotha 2 day charter Fri nite. Smaller yft were being caught as kinda a sure thing but this group like our Lo An trip wud opt fo a shot at Bluefin everytime. Bait was bigger this time but less lively than Lo An trip. Sat had 3 schools that wanted to play some. Bft were 40-60lbs wit some yft mixed in that went 15-50. 30-40lb gear worked jus like Lo An trip. This time my bud n I used ringed J no 1 hooks instead of circles afta first fish fell off Sat then we did NOT lose anotha fish to any kind of casulty. Of course jus fish em like a circle. Guys on this charter have lotsa talent. A guy Jus to do something diff than tossing a dine tried an all purple 100g Colt sniper wit a beefed up treble that had alot of paint chewed off hooked 3 Bluefin n got em all. One on sink n two on da grind. He was jus blindly casting jus to change things up. We were so close as wit Lo An trip, we came back in to reload on bait Sat nite Use alot of bait Bluefin fishing. Sun which is a shorter day as boat hasta get back n do a turn around, we only got 5 Bft n one Yft for da shorter day but Bft grade jumped up to 80-100. Also had 4 others that were dumped due to chew offs or bent hooks. My one friend who I believe is even a betta stick than John on Lo An trip got two of 6 Sun fish, both ova 90lb n both landed on 30lb n he didn’t take that long on em as this dude pulls, using no 1 ringed J hook. He did say what da heck am I fishing 30 for. Then my other bud hung 2 Bft 90 n 95 handing off bigga one n the one Yft so btwn them two guys, they had 5 of 6 fish landed on boat Sun. He was fishing 40, same hook. He also got first one on a mackeral right next to me.
Had 53 Bft n 26 Yft fo 15 guys real nice trip

Wud recommend 50lb string wit 30lb fluoro n 65/40. And circles or J’s whateva suits yer fancy, jus don’t swing. And fishing da bow can be a great thing on da Lo An as if drifts bow first. One of our buds from up here had five fish, all on da bow, all on 30lb n an albie rod to boot. And this guy pulls wit da “trout gear”

5 star is owned by a cpl of skippers Drew Pac Queen n Marcus New Lo An
Booja 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #26
Chass
King Salmon

Thanks for the reports guys! Much appreciated!

I really like the information on what was working, specific hook sizes etc. I'm on the Colbach trip Nov 1st. I've never done this before so I'm as green as it gets. I'm also not much of a live bait or jig fisherman so this puts me at a bit of a disadvantage.

I've got 3 setups that I'm bringing. An Avet MX 2 speed with 50lb braid on at 30 to 60 lb Tiger Lite rod. I'll top shot that with 30lb flouro. THis is my light rod.

I just bought a Penn Fathom 40n 2 speed LD and loaded it with 80lb white power pro. I won a heavey 7' Proteus rod at the OTC a while back and it seems like a good fit with that reel. I think I'll top shot that with 40 or 50 lb flouro. Suggestions?

Alan Taney is lending me a big 130lb braid rod and reel with a 50 size reel on it. He says this is a rod that can land a 300lb bluefin in 30 minutes if done right. This is for the off chance we get into the big ones . .

I feel like I'm missing something in the middle but I just don't own enough gear for this! I'll have to roll with what I've got. I did buy an array of the hook sizes mentioned. I bought both circle and J hooks all with rings. I've got a bunch of albacore jigs I will bring but I'm planning on buying a few bigger ones while I'm down there. I fly in the day before so I'll have all morning to buy the odds and ends that I don't have depending on what the Captain says we are fishing for.

Thanks again for all the great input!

Chass
Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass View Post

I feel like I'm missing something in the middle but I just don't own enough gear for this! I'll have to roll with what I've got.

Thanks again for all the great input!

Chass
Hey Chass, your quiver looks fine. You be set! FWIW I'm bringing a stout 8' spinning outfit to toss Colt Snipers, Stick Baits and Poppers. 40 - 60# OTI Tuna Sniper rod paired with a Van Staal VR200 reel loaded with 400 yards of 50# braid.

Last year I brought ear plugs and blinders (eye mask), glad I had them. The New Lo-An sleeping quarters are pretty open. Looking forward to the report from your group, we are 2 weeks behind you.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #28
Chass
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dog View Post
Hey Chass, your quiver looks fine. You be set! FWIW I'm bringing a stout 8' spinning outfit to toss Colt Snipers, Stick Baits and Poppers. 40 - 60# OTI Tuna Sniper rod paired with a Van Staal VR200 reel loaded with 400 yards of 50# braid. Looking forward to the report from your group, we are 2 weeks behind you.
Thanks for the reinforcement.

I've got a large Fin Nor spinning reel loaded with a LOT of 50lb braid on an 8' heavy casting rod. I can sling an albacore jig damn near out of site with that thing. Maybe I should bring that. I'll have to check the rod to make sure it's up to the task.

We'll definitely let you know how the trip goes and what works etc. I imagine that just like with albacore, having the the recent beta can be critical.

Mike from Hoggs is fishing an 8 day now. He must be out of range cuz I haven't seen any recent posts!

I was planning on the ear plugs! Don't leave home without them!

Chass
ct
Old 10-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #29
Simon Peter
Tuna!

Atta boy Les! I like the idea of going light and making em pay! Better to go to the dance floor and get dumped then not to dance at all!

Nice job! Hope your home by now!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booja 1 View Post
Afta getting off Lo An Thurs morn my bud n I jumped on anotha 2 day charter Fri nite. Smaller yft were being caught as kinda a sure thing but this group like our Lo An trip wud opt fo a shot at Bluefin everytime. Bait was bigger this time but less lively than Lo An trip. Sat had 3 schools that wanted to play some. Bft were 40-60lbs wit some yft mixed in that went 15-50. 30-40lb gear worked jus like Lo An trip. This time my bud n I used ringed J no 1 hooks instead of circles afta first fish fell off Sat then we did NOT lose anotha fish to any kind of casulty. Of course jus fish em like a circle. Guys on this charter have lotsa talent. A guy Jus to do something diff than tossing a dine tried an all purple 100g Colt sniper wit a beefed up treble that had alot of paint chewed off hooked 3 Bluefin n got em all. One on sink n two on da grind. He was jus blindly casting jus to change things up. We were so close as wit Lo An trip, we came back in to reload on bait Sat nite Use alot of bait Bluefin fishing. Sun which is a shorter day as boat hasta get back n do a turn around, we only got 5 Bft n one Yft for da shorter day but Bft grade jumped up to 80-100. Also had 4 others that were dumped due to chew offs or bent hooks. My one friend who I believe is even a betta stick than John on Lo An trip got two of 6 Sun fish, both ova 90lb n both landed on 30lb n he didn’t take that long on em as this dude pulls, using no 1 ringed J hook. He did say what da heck am I fishing 30 for. Then my other bud hung 2 Bft 90 n 95 handing off bigga one n the one Yft so btwn them two guys, they had 5 of 6 fish landed on boat Sun. He was fishing 40, same hook. He also got first one on a mackeral right next to me.
Had 53 Bft n 26 Yft fo 15 guys real nice trip

Wud recommend 50lb string wit 30lb fluoro n 65/40. And circles or J’s whateva suits yer fancy, jus don’t swing. And fishing da bow can be a great thing on da Lo An as if drifts bow first. One of our buds from up here had five fish, all on da bow, all on 30lb n an albie rod to boot. And this guy pulls wit da “trout gear”

5 star is owned by a cpl of skippers Drew Pac Queen n Marcus New Lo An

25' Defiance - "JIGSTOP"
Simon Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #30
Timber Tech
Sturgeon

Wow, just realized that the trip was on the 12th! Been so busy with the Fall lifestyle time is running away on me. So, any one want to go hit up a tackle shop and load up on hooks and line? Gonna refresh the trolling gear with dual purpose bft and yft gear. No mercy. Time to start focusing on the next few weeks. I can’t wait for this one... gonna be fun.
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #31
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
Wow, just realized that the trip was on the 12th! Been so busy with the Fall lifestyle time is running away on me. So, any one want to go hit up a tackle shop and load up on hooks and line? Gonna refresh the trolling gear with dual purpose bft and yft gear. No mercy. Time to start focusing on the next few weeks. I can’t wait for this one... gonna be fun.
Hey Ian, you have several very cool tackle shops within blocks of the landing. One right next to it! Pretty smart really to buy when you get there, make sure you have what they want that week. 30, 40 and 50# rigs will be plenty for BFT, YFT and YT fly lining. You will want a "Heavy" for night fishing Flat Fall glow jigs, maybe those will be hot maybe not, but you would not want to be under-gunned if you hooked a career fish in the dark hours...

Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #32
Timber Tech
Sturgeon

Quote:
Hey Ian, you have several very cool tackle shops within blocks of the landing. One right next to it! Pretty smart really to buy when you get there, make sure you have what they want that week. 30, 40 and 50# rigs will be plenty for BFT, YFT and YT fly lining. You will want a "Heavy" for night fishing Flat Fall glow jigs, maybe those will be hot maybe not, but you would not want to be under-gunned if you hooked a career fish in the dark hours...
You know, I’m starting to think I roll down south with my guns and no ammo... why waste $$$$ up here if what they want when we get there is something different. I’ll be down a day early if any of y’all want to pick up gear near the docks.... oh yeah.... and get a few beers.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #33
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Fishermans tackle. Has everything you could need. Helpful staff. And you can’t pay more anywhere!
Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #34
Timber Tech
Sturgeon

Quote:
Fishermans tackle. Has everything you could need. Helpful staff. And you can’t pay more anywhere!
Ha ha! Sure of that! Sort of why I’m thinking covering hooks and leader with my stock stuff and a few pick ups from Englunds.... (not know for affordability either)
On a serious note, what’s better... take the kitchen sink and only use some of it or travel light and only pick up what’s working when I’m there?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #35
ron m
King Salmon

My experience is that Englund's is a discount store compared to the tackle shops in SD, but they do have what you'll likely be told you need. For me, having the rods and reels with the right line and topshot is critical, then you can get by with just hooks. Of course most folks want to be fully prepared, but almost all of the fish are gonna be caught on live bait.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #36
Simon Peter
Tuna!

If your driving down a side-step out to Charkbait in Huntington Beach is a great value in my opinion. If you can handle the abuse of the 91 Freeway, then I would highly suggest the Longfin in Orange as another great stop. Less pressure than S.D. shops, great selection and always have the stuff that is sold out in S.D.

25' Defiance - "JIGSTOP"
Old 10-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #37
Rymart
Tuna!

Quote:
Hey Chass, your quiver looks fine. You be set! FWIW I'm bringing a stout 8' spinning outfit to toss Colt Snipers, Stick Baits and Poppers. 40 - 60# OTI Tuna Sniper rod paired with a Van Staal VR200 reel loaded with 400 yards of 50# braid.

Last year I brought ear plugs and blinders (eye mask), glad I had them. The New Lo-An sleeping quarters are pretty open. Looking forward to the report from your group, we are 2 weeks behind you.
I'm bringing at least two spinning rigs, maybe a third. Will I use them? Who knows?

One, A Spheros 20000 will be loaded with ~ 400 yards of 80lb braid, Tallus 7' 2" XH rod. Another will be a finesse live bait rig incase we get into smaller models and a finicky bite, baitrunner 8000, still unspooled. Was thinking 50lb braid, but now starting to think of going with 30 lb or 40 lb braid and using it with 12 - 25 lb fluoro leader.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:28 AM   #38
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfonev View Post
Joe had a day when a sniper in his blue cord spread was the most successful lure
Tom, I trolled a Colt Sniper 3 days total. For whatever reason, they were very effective. I typically run 9 lines and that first day my one, 100g green sniper caught over half of the fish, with the rest from clones on my two divers. The next time I rigged two more, both 80g, a green and a blue and pink. That same 100g, green sniper, clearly outfished the 80g snipers,with the blue one only getting one fish. Again, the 100g green one caught most of the fish. For troll, they were rigged with 5-6' of 80# mono with a good BB swivel on the sniper nose and another BB swivel at the other end of the leader.

I'm only adding this post to this thread to let it be known that the 100g Sniper liked to fish fast, very fast. As you know, snipers look great and appear to swim better than most fish on a moderate, steady crank, 2 kt?, so I expected to run them slower, more like slower swimbait speeds.

It swims pretty normal up to 5-6 kt and went into a kinda frenzied mode above 6kt. At 7kt, where it seemed most effective, I really couldn't tell what it was doing, but it was enough to visibly vibrate my outrigger and I've never noticed that with anything else, including medium xraps and such.

That last day I fished rods, left those 19' wood pole outriggers home, and the nature of the vibration was more apparent, kind of a pulse of very high speed vibration, maybe a second, then a very quick pulse or yank that briefly pulled the rod tip. Frantic is my best description.

Dunno why, but a 7 kt frantic Sniper killed way more than its share of albacore.

Can't crank 7 kt, but a good battery drill just might put a Sniper into 7 kt
frantic mode, and it just might get bit when more conventional rigs are getting laughed at by picky fish.
. JE
Edit; On the troll, at 7 kt on my outriggers, with blue cord and short bungee to absorb shock, the Colt Sniper had the somewhat disturbing trait of sometimes getting hammered and jerking the gills clean out of the fish. Just a ball of gills dragging on top for my effort.

This happened four or five times over two days, meaning about 10% of my fish got away, though I suspect they didn't swim far.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 10-22-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Joe Evens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:10 AM   #39
Timber Tech
Sturgeon

Bruce, just to be clear, 5 star is two weeks out on processing fish? That’s gonna make the difference if I fly or drive.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #40
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Quote:
Another will be a finesse live bait rig incase we get into smaller models and a finicky bite, baitrunner 8000, still unspooled. Was thinking 50lb braid, but now starting to think of going with 30 lb or 40 lb braid and using it with 12 - 25 lb fluoro leader.
Recommend 50# braid on your Baitrunner. Smaller braid has smaller margin for failure if you get in a sweater tangle or your fish rubs against the hull doing laps around the boat. Alan Tani convinced me to go with 60# braid on my 30# live bait rig for this reason...

Old 10-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #41
Rymart
Tuna!

Quote:
Recommend 50# braid on your Baitrunner. Smaller braid has smaller margin for failure if you get in a sweater tangle or your fish rubs against the hull doing laps around the boat. Alan Tani convinced me to go with 60# braid on my 30# live bait rig for this reason...
I'll probably end up going with 50lb, if for no other reason because I a have a massive bulk spool of it (which I'll bring on the trip incase anybody needs to re-spool). This wouldn't be my main light rig, just a 'hail-merry' option incase the fish are extra finicky and the bait is weak/small. The thinking is that the thinner braid along with light fluoro leader would allow the bait to swim/present more naturally if nothing else is getting bit.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #42
ron m
King Salmon

Ryan, my experience on 4 LR trips makes one thing very clear. the deck hands HATE green braid with a passion. to difficult to see when trying to unwrap or untangle lines. I took lots of grief on my first two trips, then I made sure for my 3rd and 4th trip to have other than green braid.
ron m
Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #43
Booja 1
Tuna!

Quote:
Bruce, just to be clear, 5 star is two weeks out on processing fish? That’s gonna make the difference if I fly or drive.

This has been da general ans from both 5 Star n Fishermen's P rocessing due to
da Yft fishing being sooo good as of late. They are swamped. But this cud definitely change if fishing slows. We like to take home some Bft fresh on plane so make sure u make yer request known, u want some "same day" rest shipped up as popsicles. Another thing, if u fly n want some fresh yer gonna need a way of getting to processor then to airport, maybe can hitch a ride wit somebody who drove or call Uber. U guys will get in by 6am prob earlier so don't make yer plane ride home too early to give u time to get some fish if u go that rte
Old 10-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #44
Rymart
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron m View Post
Ryan, my experience on 4 LR trips makes one thing very clear. the deck hands HATE green braid with a passion. to difficult to see when trying to unwrap or untangle lines. I took lots of grief on my first two trips, then I made sure for my 3rd and 4th trip to have other than green braid.
ron m
I've read that. Most (or all) of my braid is metered. It was very nice fishing on Shake & Bake where pretty much every rod had a different line color so when you saw someone tangled on your line you could just call out, 'hey red, you're on my line" and get together quickly to deal with it.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #45
hoghauler
Chromer

Quote:

I was on the LO AN a few weeks ago and the deck hands (craig and frank) would process your fish if you wanted- for a fee of course- as we were headed back to port. They filleted and bagged from midnight till about 5am. We took our fish home in coolers as we had driven down.
hoghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #46
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

We have a guy driving down with a full tote. We plan to have Fishermans process and bag. Then fill the tote for the trip home. I’ll take a 50# box of fresh on the plane.

Another option
Old 10-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #47
Chass
King Salmon

Quote:
You know, I’m starting to think I roll down south with my guns and no ammo... why waste $$$$ up here if what they want when we get there is something different. I’ll be down a day early if any of y’all want to pick up gear near the docks.... oh yeah.... and get a few beers.
I bought a bunch of live bait hooks on Amazon. Got them next day. I don't have a good tackle store here in Eugene that carries the stuff I need. I'm coming in the day before we leave so I'll be there in the morning. I talked to Marcus and he said to check in after 7 am to see what he thinks we'll be fishing for. He said that should give me a better idea of what gear to go buy.

I'm still not sure how to get my rods down there! Heading to the home improvement store tonight to try to build a rod carrier.

Chass
ct
Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #48
Chass
King Salmon

So, what is a real Colt Sniper? Shimano has a "coltsniper" that is a slow sinking jerkbait and they have the slow fall coltsniper which are completely different. Then there is the Colt Snipers on Amazon that look nothing like either of those.

Which one are you guys using? And where do you get them?

Thanks
Chass
Old 10-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #49
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

https://m.tackledirect.com/shimano-coltsniper-jigs.html

Amazon also has Chinese knockoffs that are a dead ringer for the real thing, fish wow or something. Both need a little hook help as stated above.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #50
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
We have a guy driving down with a full tote. We plan to have Fishermans process and bag. Then fill the tote for the trip home. I’ll take a 50# box of fresh on the plane.

Another option
A full size pickup with an 8 ft bed will easily hold two full totes or a full tote and 2 half totes plus some coolers, so another option is to ice the fish well and process them yourself after you get back to OR. Not as easy for working folks, but could still be done. Easy if you have the time, all of us know how to cark tuna and most of us have good vacuum packers. Plus the fish cleaning stations aren't busy this time of year so there is lots of room. Plus if you're gonna share fish with your friends/crew, they can come help and take home some fresh fish!
ron m

p.s. Have knives, will travel!
Old 10-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #51
Timber Tech
Sturgeon

Quote:
A full size pickup with an 8 ft bed will easily hold two full totes or a full tote and 2 half totes plus some coolers, so another option is to ice the fish well and process them yourself after you get back to OR. Not as easy for working folks, but could still be done. Easy if you have the time, all of us know how to cark tuna and most of us have good vacuum packers. Plus the fish cleaning stations aren't busy this time of year so there is lots of room. Plus if you're gonna share fish with your friends/crew, they can come help and take home some fresh fish!
ron m

p.s. Have knives, will travel!
Idk Ron. I can fit a full tote and 3 kill bags in my truck. After ice for travel that’s about 60 decent fish uncarked. With a 40# average cut that in half. I’m all for cutting and packing down there as space is valuable. I figure I can haul about 7-8 big coolers in the RV basement and I’ll the fridge and freezer. Pulling out all non Essential gear from the RV tomorrow. I’ll pack gear inside. Man, fired up to go! Taking a week off to travel and fish.

Chass, I pull in right by the port on Sunday. You still gonna be around?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #52
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Idk Ron. I can fit a full tote and 3 kill bags in my truck. After ice for travel that’s about 60 decent fish uncarked. With a 40# average cut that in half. I’m all for cutting and packing down there as space is valuable. I figure I can haul about 7-8 big coolers in the RV basement and I’ll the fridge and freezer. Pulling out all non Essential gear from the RV tomorrow. I’ll pack gear inside. Man, fired up to go! Taking a week off to travel and fish.

Chass, I pull in right by the port on Sunday. You still gonna be around?
Well, the RV has lots of advantages and only one major disadvantage. Sounds like you can get lots in it. No way on a 3 day trip you'd have enough fish to fill 2 full totes, not even if two of you are in the truck. I've got time and knives, so I can and like to clean my own fish. The processor did a great job, no complaints on the quality, but for my budget it's pretty darn expensive. A buck/pound in the round is pretty expensive by my standards, basically makes it two bucks a pound in the package. $60 to clean and pack a 60 lb fish? I don't even pay to have my fish cleaned in Newport when I think it's just a few bucks a fish, not packaged though. But hey, I'm retired and have the time to clean them, not everyone does.

Oh, you could fit 2 full sized totes and a couple of kill bags in your truck fairly easily and still have room for rods and some gear. My first trip I had a full tote, 2 half totes, and 5 coolers, at least one 100 qt and 2 70 its. Might have been one that was 120 or 150 qts too. Plus rods, I think 10 of them. Tight fit, but all that fit in there.

I was rested when we left, so driving straight through wasn't bad going down. Brutal drive home though since I was tired when we left and we couldn't leave early as the guy with me on the first trip had his fish processed. Plus he had an injured foot and couldn't drive.

All of my trips out of SD have been memorable in one way or another. Definitely not an ordinary experience, at least not for me.
ron m
Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #53
ron m
King Salmon

One good tip: if you're driving straight through, time your departure to get thru Sacramento before rush hour and so you get to LA after rush hour. It's ok to get to SD late if you're not leaving early the next day. My first trip we had planned to stop somewhere for the night south of LA, but couldn't find an affordable place so just drove to SD and spent the whole next day and another night there. That was better than going thru LA when it's busy.
ron m
Old 10-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #54
Simon Peter
Tuna!

This is sound advice! We drive from Albany to Coalinga (Harris Ranch). The place is a beef-lot and smells, but the food is good and accomodations are great. Plus I think it is a fairly safe place to park if you got gear.

Next day is easy and you arrive fresh. Still time to hit the various tackle spots on the way down. You "miss the traffic" - if there is such a think in LA.

I-5 to San Diego can be brutal any day of the week. Another option to watch is the 91 freeway out to the 15 and then drop down south. Check your traffic sites to see if this is not better.

Go get em!

Quote:
One good tip: if you're driving straight through, time your departure to get thru Sacramento before rush hour and so you get to LA after rush hour. It's ok to get to SD late if you're not leaving early the next day. My first trip we had planned to stop somewhere for the night south of LA, but couldn't find an affordable place so just drove to SD and spent the whole next day and another night there. That was better than going thru LA when it's busy.
ron m

25' Defiance - "JIGSTOP"
Old 10-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #55
Booja 1
Tuna!

Quote:
I'm bringing at least two spinning rigs, maybe a third. Will I use them? Who knows?

One, A Spheros 20000 will be loaded with ~ 400 yards of 80lb braid, Tallus 7' 2" XH rod. Another will be a finesse live bait rig incase we get into smaller models and a finicky bite, baitrunner 8000, still unspooled. Was thinking 50lb braid, but now starting to think of going with 30 lb or 40 lb braid and using it with 12 - 25 lb fluoro leader.

Think yer gonna want to stick wit da 50, if yer fishing straight yft even 25 (topshot) is light. Might as well fish as heavy as u can get bit wit..alot of mixed Bft/Yft, even if u hang a smaller 40lb model on 25, u will be pullin on that thing fo awhile if u even land it. longer da fight, bigger hole in mouth where hook is, hooks fall out, chew off what Bft are noted for..tangles etc...
Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #56
Chass
King Salmon

I heard a report that the Ocean Odyssy said 40 and 50 lb rigs were getting spooled in seconds . . .

I'm borrowing a 130 lb setup just for that reason. If the big fish are there, I don't want to be undergunned.

I've got the 30lb and the 50 lb setups. I don't expect to use the 30 lb setup unless the fish are really shy.

Chass
ct
Old 10-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #57
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

It doesn’t matter how heavy your gear is if you can’t get bit
Old 10-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #58
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

You often end up fishing lighter gear to get bit on these trips, then a group of pigs come swimming through and make everyone pay for it. But I still don't see anyone sticking with 100# setups while everyone else is getting bit on 40# for hours.. if you can finesse fish a heavier setup and still get bit then great.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #59
Chass
King Salmon

Quote:
It doesn’t matter how heavy your gear is if you can’t get bit
I gues that could go both ways . . .

If you can't land them on your light gear, it doesn't matter how many times you get bit!

Seems like there may be a place for all of the gear. I'm no pro but I'm trying to bring an array of gear so that I have what I need when I need it. The 130 lb rig would only be for that moment we we see 300 lb blufin breaking the surface next to the boat. If that happens, I'd sure be happy to have the 130lb rig sitting in the pole holder waiting for a bait. We'll see what happens. I'm taking tips from Alan Taney. This is the rig he is loaning me. He changed it from a 100lb rig back to the 130lb rig based on the New Odyssy report. I'll take advice form him any day Seeing as how I'm totally green at this, I only have my reading and advice to go on. I've bought all the hooks that have been recommended. Some of the jigs and I'll get some heavy ones when I'm down there.

Fingers crossed for a good trip! Looking at the numbers, they are whacking them pretty consistantly.

Chass

Chass
Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #60
Califbill
Chromer

Instead of $800+ for 130# rig, etc. rent. A whole lot cheaper. I use to to go on 7-8 day trips before I broke my shoulder and got even older. Heaviest I own is a custom rod and a Talica 10 2 speed and spooled with 65# braid and a 50 top shot. Rent or borrow a heavier rig. The landing has nice rental stuff. You have to pay for line you use. And that talica with a different rod landed the jackpot 100# Yellowfin on a 7 day one July.
Califbill is online now   Reply With Quote