The App doesn’t work and OSP doesn’t care $$$ - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Salmon N Steel
Ifish Nate

Default The App doesn’t work and OSP doesn’t care $$$

Before I headed out today I made sure that the app and tags both worked while online and offline. Big surprise the app would not let me tag a fish on my catch card on the app while offline.

I called OSP and talked to 3 different people. The 1st was a receptionist at the tip line. She had a game warden call me. His response was he was aware of the changes but would write a ticket even if a fish was not tagged properly. I questioned it but he didn’t change his stance.

Next I called the Salem office and talked to a very helpful gentleman. He tried to open the tagging portion of the app while on the phone with me and couldn’t either. He then called the OSP warden that I talked to for his story. He came back with “there was a misunderstanding....in this instance I would need to stop fishing and drive to cellular coverage and tag my fish. After this I could continue to fish. I told him I may be 25 miles from cell coverage and miles from my truck. The response was the still the same.

Tomorrow I am going to go talk to someone at the clackamas office of ODFW.

Salmon N Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
No Reservations
Tuna!

Default Re: The App doesn’t work and OSP doesn’t care $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon N Steel View Post
Before I headed out today I made sure that the app and tags both worked while online and offline. Big surprise the app would not let me tag a fish on my catch card on the app while offline.

I called OSP and talked to 3 different people. The 1st was a receptionist at the tip line. She had a game warden call me. His response was he was aware of the changes but would write a ticket even if a fish was not tagged properly. I questioned it but he didn’t change his stance.

Next I called the Salem office and talked to a very helpful gentleman. He tried to open the tagging portion of the app while on the phone with me and couldn’t either. He then called the OSP warden that I talked to for his story. He came back with “there was a misunderstanding....in this instance I would need to stop fishing and drive to cellular coverage and tag my fish. After this I could continue to fish. I told him I may be 25 miles from cell coverage and miles from my truck. The response was the still the same.

Tomorrow I am going to go talk to someone at the clackamas office of ODFW.

How did you test it offline before you left?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
SquarePeg
Tuna!

That's not good. I bought the paper. It's a full 8-1/2 x 11 sheet .. not a little thing that will fit in your wallet like I expected.

Looks like ODFW has created a giant problem.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Bad Wood 75
Chromer

I just put my phone on airplane mode and couldn’t get it to work for me either. This is going to be a big issue where I fish.
Bad Wood 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
That's not good. I bought the paper. It's a full 8-1/2 x 11 sheet .. not a little thing that will fit in your wallet like I expected.

Looks like ODFW has created a giant problem.
When I printed mine I used OpenOffice Draw to reduce the license and the tag to 4.25 inches by 5.5 inches. Then, I printed the license on one side of the paper and the tag on the other side and trimmed to size. Everything on one 4.25x5.5 inch paper. Perfectly legible and plenty of room in the squares to tag fish--about the same size as the squares on the old tag, maybe a bit larger.

And, I used photo paper (waterproof) and a laser printer (waterproof ink). I'm good to go.

And I agree, ODFW has created a giant problem--more than one, in fact.
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
Proteus503
Chromer

I'm having some trouble as well. If I have no cell / internet / wifi service, and I try to tag a fish, the app says "You are in offline mode" in an orange box at the bottom. If I try to tag a fish while in offline mode, it just says "an error has occurred" and I am unable to tag a fish.

Hopefully they get this figured out. I thought that the intention was that you would be able to tag fish in offline mode and then it would sync as soon as you got back into cell / data service.

If you go out in the field and run into this problem, take a screenshot of your phone showing the date, time, error, and the fact that you have no service. These screenshots could save you a ticket in court, but I doubt any reasonable judge wouldnt dismiss the charge if you made your best effort and showed evidence to back it up (OSP too for that matter... you might get a written warning so that it is recorded and strike two would get the ticket).

The ODFW ELS FAQ does clearly state at the bottom of page two that:

"... anglers will be required to have and display a license and tag upon contact by ODFW or OSP. It will be the hunter or angler’s responsibility to ensure they always have enough battery or an external battery source to power their phone so they can validate their harvest and show their license or tag. Note that even when they are in the field and without cell reception, ODFW and OSP will also be able to see information about licenses/tags/validations you purchased and to check your confirmation number..."

source:
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/online_l.../ELS%20FAQ.pdf

Probably a good idea to invest in an auxiliary battery to keep the cell phone charged too.
Proteus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
No Reservations
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus503 View Post
I'm having some trouble as well. If I have no cell / internet / wifi service, and I try to tag a fish, the app says "You are in offline mode" in an orange box at the bottom. If I try to tag a fish while in offline mode, it just says "an error has occurred" and I am unable to tag a fish.

Hopefully they get this figured out. I thought that the intention was that you would be able to tag fish in offline mode and then it would sync as soon as you got back into cell / data service.

If you go out in the field and run into this problem, take a screenshot of your phone showing the date, time, error, and the fact that you have no service. These screenshots could save you a ticket in court, but I doubt any reasonable judge wouldnt dismiss the charge if you made your best effort and showed evidence to back it up (OSP too for that matter... you might get a written warning so that it is recorded and strike two would get the ticket).

"... anglers will be required to have and display a license and tag upon contact by ODFW or OSP. It will be the hunter or angler’s responsibility to ensure they always have enough battery or an external battery source to power their phone so they can validate their harvest and show their license or tag. Note that even when they are in the field and without cell reception, ODFW and OSP will also be able to see information about licenses/tags/validations you purchased and to check your confirmation number..."

source:

Probably a good idea to invest in an auxiliary battery to keep the cell phone charged too.

Are you putting your phone in airplane mode?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Proteus503
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
Are you putting your phone in airplane mode?

yes, and disconnected from wifi.

Havent field tested it yet.
Proteus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:

source:

Makes you go 'hmmmm', don't it? When I first saw that I thought, 'unless the OSP has the info on their PC they won't be able to connect and verify anything', not on the spot, anyway. There was even a discussion in a thread here about handing your phone off to an officer. Looks as though my phone not working with the app is a blessing.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
Salmon N Steel
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead2 View Post
Makes you go 'hmmmm', don't it? When I first saw that I thought, 'unless the OSP has the info on their PC they won't be able to connect and verify anything', not on the spot, anyway. There was even a discussion in a thread here about handing your phone off to an officer. Looks as though my phone not working with the app is a blessing.
You can still open up the app and view your license and tags. You can’t open the add harvest tab to tag a fish.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
pinhead2
Tuna!

Gotta start asking questions about the contractor that is responsible for this app. Supposedly, they have experience with licensing systems in other states, but I'm beginning to suspect that those states don't have the tagging systems that we have. Ain't no tags for bass and crappie...........
Old 01-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
No Reservations
Tuna!

Quote:
You can still open up the app and view your license and tags. You can’t open the add harvest tab to tag a fish.

Maybe the app knew you got skunked

Old 01-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
yes, and disconnected from wifi.

Havent field tested it yet.
No difference between 'airplane mode' and 'no service'. Airplane mode was developed just to prevent the phone from pinging for towers that aren't anywhere in range. Not searching for cell towers effectively shuts down cell service.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
I know this. And, I suspect that if you connect and tag a fish, then the tagged fish will show up, with the tag, on the phone, too. The question is, Can you tag a fish off-line?
Old 01-01-2019, 07:04 PM   #15
Snowtoy
Coho

This will make floating the river in an area without cell service interesting until they get this figured out. Now I wish I would have opted for the paper copy
Snowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #16
ryank
Chromer

Send ODFW your opinions:

[email protected]
ryank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

I have quite a bit of software development experience. This app is an absolute mess and I would have been embarassed to even submit this for a school project back when I was getting my software development degree. All service issues aside... Just the design choices like having to scroll through every single catch area/code in a list form with no search function is terrible design. I haven't gone much further than that.... But there's so much basic stuff they could do to make it better. Clearly a bean counter picked the lowest bid to hire their contractor.
Bobber Downey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #18
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Downey Jr. View Post
I have quite a bit of software development experience. This app is an absolute mess and I would have been embarassed to even submit this for a school project back when I was getting my software development degree. All service issues aside... Just the design choices like having to scroll through every single catch area/code in a list form with no search function is terrible design. I haven't gone much further than that.... But there's so much basic stuff they could do to make it better. Clearly a bean counter picked the lowest bid to hire their contractor.
And the app version for IOS makes the Android version look good. Somebody actually made a comment very similar to yours in the Apple Store, so your comment made me laugh. At least the app works on my ipad, but I went paper--I'm not carrying an ipad around.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #19
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
Send ODFW your opinions:

[email protected]
I had some questions early on. Never got a reply of any kind. I tried calling and gave up after being on hold 47 minutes. Understaffed to the max, and a lot of people having problems (a lot of problems due to poor user interface design).
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #20
Old_Eng21
Fry

Quote:
At least it saved the state an estimated $2M a year (that you won't see coming off your license fees), right?
Old_Eng21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
Aton
Chromer

Yep it's going to be an interesting year. I just purchased tags, license, endorsements. All in the app form. I "chose add harvest" to test it out. With network connection its slick as snot. I put phone in airplane mode and tried again. See attached screen shot. Guess I better not try fishing from an airplane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed ODFW.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	715785  

Last edited by Aton; 01-01-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Aton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #22
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aton View Post
Yep it's going to be an interesting year. I just purchased tags, license, endorsements. All in the app form. I "chose add harvest" to test it out. With network connection its slick as snot. I put phone in airplane mode and tried again. See attached screen shot. Guess I better not try fishing from an airplane.
Or on the Deschutes..........
Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
OregonSteel
Tuna!

Looks like I'll be going with the paper option.
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #24
Aton
Chromer

Well I've been going through ODFW web page looking for those hidden "gotcha"indemnifier words that will hold the angler accountable. Every page I've read states that the app "WILL" work even if you are offline. Now if it were to say somewhere...you "MAY" be able to record your harvest. Can you just imagine the encounter where you are walking out with a fish and LEO asks you to see harvest record? Then you say "the app doesn't work but I'm going to run down the road until I have reception??? I have no plans of walking out, getting out of waders, wasting gas and then come back after you have forfeited your fishing hole. Nope. They said it would work. So they had better patch the app quick
Old 01-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #25
markg
Coho

Paper for me!
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #26
Aton
Chromer

And what I just discovered is that you will need to have the app opened on your phone before you lose service. I closed all apps then went into airplane mode and tried to open it and got the same error message. Open it first and then go to airplane mode and you can at least read that I have an Annual Combination, Shellfish, Buck deer tag, Columbia endorsement, Combined angling tag, Hatchery harvest card...and upland game bird validation. Yeah $185 dollars. No doubt, as we all know, not all LEO's are created the same...Its going to get interesting
Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #27
roosevelt
King Salmon

Yikes! Sounds like a train wreck! I do lots of fishing outside of cell service, they need to fix this quickly, or accept I will tag my fish when done fishing and back in cell service.

I would have no issues fighting that in court with being misled and tricked... their problems, not ours
Old 01-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #28
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yikes! Sounds like a train wreck! I do lots of fishing outside of cell service, they need to fix this quickly, or accept I will tag my fish when done fishing and back in cell service.

I would have no issues fighting that in court with being misled and tricked... their problems, not ours

For sure it's not our faults their system doesn't work. My buddies app wouldn't even show he had a license even after sync.

he could log on to odfw page and see that he had purchased it though. system is probably going to be some growing pains.
Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #29
Aton
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthooker View Post
For sure it's not our faults their system doesn't work. My buddies app wouldn't even show he had a license even after sync.

he could log on to odfw page and see that he had purchased it though. system is probably going to be some growing pains.

Yeah they started the HWY. 20 project to straighten the highway out of Eddyville in 2005 and just completed it in 2018? $350 Million for 6 miles. But man is it ever nice now. That wasn't sarcasm, it really is an improvement. Just give ODFW a few hundred million and 13 years and everything will be smooth sailing.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:10 PM   #30
Salmo Gairdnerii
Chromer

Sounds like FUBAR to me.

SG
Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 AM   #31
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead2 View Post
And the app version for IOS makes the Android version look good. Somebody actually made a comment very similar to yours in the Apple Store, so your comment made me laugh. At least the app works on my ipad, but I went paper--I'm not carrying an ipad around.
I'm on Android. I can't even imagine what it must be like on IOS, then

Considering I'm down the street from the Sandy and there is no cell service in there, this should be fun. I may just print out and carry my own personal daily catch log that I write my catches on just to show intent. Can record them on the app later. Probably the only practical solution until they decide to hire a real developer.

Let's add this to the fun: Tried to go in to the Dick's in Gresham to get my wife's license on New Years Eve. They said they weren't currently selling 2019 fishing licenses. Same story at Fred Meyer. so we went home and went online. Made her an online account, went to buy a license, and said we had to call in to ODFW office to verify her identity. Of course there's no answer there. So yesterday, her and my son got to go on a float with me and didn't fish (we were mostly just out to enjoy the day and splash around on the raft in the upper Sandy). Still, it should not be this hard.

Last edited by Bobber Downey Jr.; 01-02-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #32
Williams
Ifish Nate

Quote:
So yesterday, her and my son got to go on a float with me and didn't fish (we were mostly just out to enjoy the day and splash around on the raft in the upper Sandy). Still, it should not be this hard.

It was a high of 34 up here on the upper Sandy yesterday. Slashing around in the raft sounds “refreshing”
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #33
shanem
Tuna!

I submitted a bug to them for the offline mode recording. Hopefully they will push a hot fix quickly.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #34
hoghauler
Chromer

What a mess, whoever is responsible for this mess should be issued a citation for failure to provide
hoghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #35
roosevelt
King Salmon

Folks, I don't think it's anything to stress about, it's their problem, not ours... they mislead us, and got most of us to trust them and try this new system, now it doesn't work like they told us it would...

NOT OUR PROBLEM

I will do as good as I can, but will not go way out of my way... THEY CAN
Old 01-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #36
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams View Post
It was a high of 34 up here on the upper Sandy yesterday. Slashing around in the raft sounds “refreshing”
We had a great time. Our 10yr old loves riding the wave trains, especially pipeline. We were properly clothed.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #37
john.ishy
Chromer

I think it would be a good idea an harvest tag card be mailed to all who have purchased the electronic app, or made available to purchase while the bugs are being worked out of the system.

if unable to record a catch on my phone due to some glitch, is a written record on the back of a fast food package a viable record.
john.ishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #38
rworegon
Chromer

As a US President once said, “Trust, but verify”. The verification is a bit rocky.

Sounds like this new system could be a nice money maker for the State if OSP fires up the ticket machine and then a waster of money in courts processes.

I’ll be sticking with paper for hunting license and tags.

Last edited by rworegon; 01-02-2019 at 08:16 AM.
rworegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #39
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworegon View Post
As a US President once said, “Trust, but verify”. The verification is a bit rocky.

Sounds like this new system could be a nice money maker for the State if OSP fires up the ticket machine and then a waster of money in courts processes.

I’ll be sticking with paper for hunting license and tags.
It's not a money grab, those tickets would never stick, it would be a big waste of time and money, won't happen
Old 01-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #40
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
I submitted a bug to them for the offline mode recording. Hopefully they will push a hot fix quickly.
Got an email back from ODFW about the recording a harvest when in offline mode. They've escalated this to their developers and hope to have it fixed soon. I'll post and update when I hear back from them that it's been fixed.

-shane
Old 01-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #41
rworegon
Chromer

Quote:
It's not a money grab, those tickets would never stick, it would be a big waste of time and money, won't happen
My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek as I can see a few Troopers possible testing the theory. I agree with your comment about the waste of time....but, time will tell.

I hope Oregon can get this thing working smoothly.
rworegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #42
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Here's what should have been the solution:

Keep the nice, quality printed tags/licenses we've been using the past several years. Then create an app/online portal we can log in to and report our catches. That way, we have a physical, paper record we're carrying with us to be compliant throughout the fishing trip, then we can go home and submit the catch that night, OR wait until the end of the year and report it all at once.

Do that for a few years, work out the kinks, then give an option to use a phone app (after a year or two of beta testing). Still, I think our old catch cards were something they should have kept.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #43
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Got an email back from ODFW about the recording a harvest when in offline mode. They've escalated this to their developers and hope to have it fixed soon. I'll post and update when I hear back from them that it's been fixed.

-shane
But how could this have been missed? It was touted as one of the center pieces of the whole system? I wonder if the big game tagging system has the same issue?

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #44
Eugenius86
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyp1958 View Post
Looks like us old school no cell phone guys get the last laugh! HaHa Hahaaaa! This 2 million in savings will be just like the Obummer Care website to knowhere! Bahaaaaaa!!!!!
Calm down. It’s January 2nd.
Eugenius86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #45
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
But how could this have been missed? It was touted as one of the center pieces of the whole system? I wonder if the big game tagging system has the same issue?

Lots of ways it could have been missed or it was working then got broken. Depends on how they built the code, how many bugs were reported during testing, etc. If I had a nickel for every time one of my developers accidentally re-introduced a bug that my QA testers reported during a project I'd be retired by now. The good news is they are aware of it and hopefully will have it fixed soon so then all we have to do is download the latest version from the app store. That said it is a pretty big bug they should have caught. :-)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #46
Bladdershy
Chromer

I see a lot of wasted court time and Leo time on the expense of us taxpayers. I questioned this from the beginning of how to tag a fish while out of service. Some people fish an hour from service!!! And the sad part is once you choose the app, you can’t go back to paper until Jan 2020. At least that’s what the lady at Fishermans’s told me when I got my paper lic monday.
I’d go fish if I had the app. They can go fly a kite!! Not our problem they screwed up. It’ll just get dropped in court anyway. And they would reimburse for my time off work to attend court also.

Last edited by Bladdershy; 01-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #47
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

All you guys that have so much faith in technology need to go watch Idiocracy. Its happening and you are the lead character.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #48
Salmon N Steel
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Exactly so why isn’t OSP issuing a statement to the sportsman stating this. They have told me I may get a ticket if caught even if I can prove the app isn’t working. It also very public that this app isn’t working. A simple public statement is all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #49
Rubber Robin

Shanem,

Thanks for doing something about it! All this whining requires some cheese!
Rubber Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #50
Drift
Chromer

Default Current harvest tag situation summarized

Fact: ODFW harvest tag does not work without WiFi or cellular service “offline mode” to quote Shanem “they’ve escalated this to their developers”

Complaint: It’s a really pathetic situation if they need to escalate this particular issue with their developers. Common sense says this should have been validated before implementing. Because fisherman and hunters alike always have access to cell service where they harvest fish & game . I’m confident the first class resources at ODFW and their contractors will get it right. <—- this is a compliment for responding to the issue so quickly post go live. Because it’s counterintuitive to pay for your own quality assurance. Judging by the responses from the licensees you’ve all done an overwhelmingly thorough job at validating the new digital license system. Thank you.

Quote:
Got an email back from ODFW about the recording a harvest when in offline mode. They've escalated this to their developers and hope to haave it fixed soon. I'll post and update when I hear back from them that it's been fixed.

-shane
Brian Smith
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #51
roosevelt
King Salmon

Default Re: Current harvest tag situation summarized

I appreciate people keeping this topic up, it's a very important one on a fishing site right now. I hope it is squared away fast

Mike Ashmon
Old 01-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #52
Drab Grab
Cutthroat

I tagged a fish yesterday in airplane mode with no problems. The app was able to sync when I turned airplane mode off in an area with sufficient cell service.

No complaints from me!

Last edited by Drab Grab; 01-02-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Drab Grab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #53
LiveBait
Chromer

Am I the only one who is just dumbfounded that this failure was both predicted and came to full fruition. Why are Oregonians accepting this failure and paying for it?

Our Oregon fishery has long operated on the premise that we tag any salmon, steelhead, and halibut that our caught and retained. Any experienced sportsman knows that many of the rural places we fish have no cell service in Oregon. Before implementing a mobile tag system (which I do support) its obvious this system would have to support this type of a logistical issue / fishing management model. While vetting potential software this should have been addressed and solved before moving forward.

This breakdown shows how inept Oregon's governmental leadership is at making decisions and managing our resources. Our state has a horrible track record of selecting software to manage our citizens needs. Oregon's leadership should publicize a list of those key people who are responsible for this failure and see it is either quickly corrected or they are terminated in their respected positions. Fix it quickly or leave.

Last edited by LiveBait; 01-02-2019 at 03:39 PM.
LiveBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #54
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

I certainly don't intend to turn this in to any kind of political/partisan discussion, but it is relevant.... If you want to get an idea of how much of an understanding your average elected official has of technology, just watch the senate hearing with Mark Zuckerberg. It was so, so painful and cringeworthy to watch for anyone with even a basic understanding of computers. It was a real eye opener for me to see just how in the stone ages the guys making our laws/decisions can be. So it makes sense that this is the result when these same folks are involved in making decisions on this type of app implementation.

I honestly believe that the issues will be fixed - they are VERY fix-able issues, and will be remedied with some routine app updates. I don't think it's going to be a huge dumpster fire down the road like some feel like it is. I just agree that it was very poorly tested and launched.

Last edited by Bobber Downey Jr.; 01-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #55
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

I checked and the fish tagging doesn't work in airplane mode for me either. Interestingly, the bear and cougar tag do seem to work.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #56
Coryhibbert60
Coho

My ODWF app, and the harvest tag is working in Airplane mode for me,........ I use an iPhone, not sure it that is making a difference or not,....
Coryhibbert60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #57
bulzeye
Tuna!

I will admit I have been looking forward to the e-system. The fact that they won't address this to us and how we are to go about fishing while this gets resolved is very troubling to me.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #58
Snapt
Super Moderator

If you are going to post a complaint to the board, whether it be a brand, person, product, agency, public service or company, you must post your entire real name along with the post. This rule is designed to cut down on people hiding behind false monikers to post false claims against personal enemies, and creates an atmosphere of accountability, should someone from the organization like to argue their side. (Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product or company is a bannable offense. If you have a complaint or comment to make then make it once and make sure you have facts to support it.)

Please sign any complaints and keep comments within the aup so we can keep this one open. Closed threads are not supposed to be reopened, but this is an important issue.
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #59
adamg
Steelhead

To play a devils advocate with lots of software engineering experience... ya'll need to chill We're only 2 days into the new year. V1 software almost always ships with feature limitations and glaring bugs, even when its companies like Google developing them.

At work, we typically dont migrate critical systems over to new versions of software until they've had some time in the wild to be battle tested by early adopters. Its not until a few point releases (v1.1, v1.2, etc) are released to fix those initial bugs and gaps that we even consider it--sometimes even longer. Fortunately, both Android and IOS provide an easy way for application publishers to push out incremental updates that address all the bug reports and feature requests they get. Releasing software is always an iterative process... I guess we'll see how well ODFW's contractors handle it moving forward and if they can get some of this initial critical issues fixed quickly.

All that said, I'll be following best-practices from my day job and going /w an analog paper license till you early adopters help squash all the bugs.
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #60
OCTrollin
Chromer

When Microsoft office doesn’t work, there aren’t cops threatening us with tickets/fines for our trouble. Fishing out of a non motorized drift boat, quitting and floating to the truck (that’s hopefully already shuttled by the time you get there) and driving to cell service in order to keep fishing without getting fined is absolutely and unequivocally unacceptable.

Last edited by OCTrollin; 01-02-2019 at 04:30 PM.
OCTrollin is offline   Reply With Quote