IFish Fishing Forum banner

5-Cents Smoked Salmon Step by Step With Pics

157K views 153 replies 119 participants last post by  Henrick Potter 
#1 ·
I have been getting quite a few emails recently about my smoked salmon so I thought I would post a step by step with pictures :grin:

First go to your freezer and check to see if you have enough salmon to smoke...

If you open your freezer and salmon falls out you know its time to smoke some fish!

I like to cut my salmon fillets in 1-1.5 inch thick chunks from the top of the back to the stomach. This will give you a nice long, thick piece of meat to smoke. It is best to always freeze your salmon before smoking as the freezing process breaks down the muscle tissue allowing the fish to brine better.

After the salmon is thawed get your ingredients lined up and ready to go.

Next make your brine, combine all these ingredients in a large bowl. Remember this is a dry brine there is no liquid involved here.

2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup salt
1 tbsp onion salt
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp dried hot mustard
1 tbsp dried lemon peel
1 tbsp dill weed

Combine all the ingredients and mix well.

I run three smokers at once so I start with a base of 24 cups of brown sugar!

You will need a large container to stack the fish. I use a plastic drawer from an old fridge. First you want to make a layer of brine on the bottom of your container, next place a layer of fish, then a layer of brine... continue stacking. I like to pack the brine as I go.

Stack your fish meat to meat with packed brine inbetween.

Place in the fridge for at least 24 hours. If you leave the fish in the brine longer they will turn into fish candy! I have left in brine up to 36 hours, it is best to try different lengths of time to see what you like best. In 12 hours or so the brine will turn to a liquid so make sure you baste and/or rotate your pieces of fish so they all get the same soaking time.

Your dry brine will soon turn to liquid.

When you are done soaking remove the fish from the brine and place on your smoking racks... DO NOT RINSE! Let stand for an hour or so until the fish becomes tacky. Place in the smoker and smoke.

Notice how candied the fish looks after a 3-day soak!

Fish is ready to remove from the smoker... remove about 1 hour before you normally would.

Take your fish out 1 hour before you normally do and place on cookie sheets. It is a good idea to coat the cookie sheets with some kind of non-stick spray before hand. Now generously coat the fish with honey... goop it on real thick!

Try honey, maple suryp or japeleno jelly for a coating.

Place fish in a 325 oven for about 20 minutes or until the edges of the fish start turning dark.

The finished product with a baked on honey glaze! :dance:

Take fish out and try not to eat it all when it is warm. I have to tell you it is the very best smoked salmon you will ever eat in your life and it is 100% better warm!

I'm 1/3 of the way there! Time to vaccum pack.

See less See more
#152 ·
For those Treager users;
If your heat control is a newer electronic one you will notice a small hole in the upper right hand corner. Use a straightened out paper clip and put in the hole and push. Do this a few times until the read out states 4. That should put it at around 145* on smoke. For older versions of the electronic control you need to unscrew it from the unit. MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG FIRST. Once pulled out look on the back in the same upper right hand corner. You should see a little dial with a notch in the center with numbers on the outer edge. Turn the dial to 4 and again you should be running about 145* on smoke. The higher the number the cooler the temperature so makes it fairly easy to adjust to temperatures that work best for you. Hope this helps. All though I didn't do this myself I believe the Treager web site has instructions for doing this. May be worth a few minutes time to check that out.
Another site to check out for recommended cooking temps and internal temps.
http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-times-and-temperatures-chart

#154 ·
I have been getting quite a few emails recently about my smoked salmon so I thought I would post a step by step with pictures 😁

First go to your freezer and check to see if you have enough salmon to smoke...

If you open your freezer and salmon falls out you know its time to smoke some fish!

I like to cut my salmon fillets in 1-1.5 inch thick chunks from the top of the back to the stomach. This will give you a nice long, thick piece of meat to smoke. It is best to always freeze your salmon before smoking as the freezing process breaks down the muscle tissue allowing the fish to brine better.

After the salmon is thawed get your ingredients lined up and ready to go.

Next make your brine, combine all these ingredients in a large bowl. Remember this is a dry brine there is no liquid involved here.

2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup salt
1 tbsp onion salt
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp dried hot mustard
1 tbsp dried lemon peel
1 tbsp dill weed

Combine all the ingredients and mix well.

I run three smokers at once so I start with a base of 24 cups of brown sugar!

You will need a large container to stack the fish. I use a plastic drawer from an old fridge. First you want to make a layer of brine on the bottom of your container, next place a layer of fish, then a layer of brine... continue stacking. I like to pack the brine as I go.

Stack your fish meat to meat with packed brine inbetween.

Place in the fridge for at least 24 hours. If you leave the fish in the brine longer they will turn into fish candy! I have left in brine up to 36 hours, it is best to try different lengths of time to see what you like best. In 12 hours or so the brine will turn to a liquid so make sure you baste and/or rotate your pieces of fish so they all get the same soaking time.

Your dry brine will soon turn to liquid.

When you are done soaking remove the fish from the brine and place on your smoking racks... DO NOT RINSE! Let stand for an hour or so until the fish becomes tacky. Place in the smoker and smoke.

Notice how candied the fish looks after a 3-day soak!

Fish is ready to remove from the smoker... remove about 1 hour before you normally would.

Take your fish out 1 hour before you normally do and place on cookie sheets. It is a good idea to coat the cookie sheets with some kind of non-stick spray before hand. Now generously coat the fish with honey... goop it on real thick!

Try honey, maple suryp or japeleno jelly for a coating.

Place fish in a 325 oven for about 20 minutes or until the edges of the fish start turning dark.

The finished product with a baked on honey glaze! :dance:

Take fish out and try not to eat it all when it is warm. I have to tell you it is the very best smoked salmon you will ever eat in your life and it is 100% better warm!

I'm 1/3 of the way there! Time to vaccum pack.
Thank you for this awesome recipe :) I noted that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.