IFish Fishing Forum banner

Me versus two long range hunters. What to do????

13K views 160 replies 46 participants last post by  Sneaker 
#1 ·
Me versus two long range shooters?

Deer season is only about three weeks away. It was time to take a 20 minute ride out to my sweet deer hunting spot.

I glassed from the road, saw some deer, no bucks but all is right, all will be right. Getting up there will take an hour in the dark. Then I will have command of a high connecting saddle, a great travel route for deer. Shots will max out at 250 yards

I was gonna head back but decided to snoop around a bit more. I checked out the brushy canyon I would cross ,,,then I saw two sets of boot tracks, both vibram soles. I followed them. They disappeared into the thick brush but I could see where somebody would work their way through. I did and came into a “nest” these hunters cleared out.

Their game was obvious. I saw where branches had been cut, a small opening cleared with a great view way up the mountain side. To the saddle where deer would most likely cross was maybe 650 maybe 750 yards.

One big limb was cut and rigged horizontal as a rifle rest. I figured these guys came here on this Labor day weekend and set themselves up for opening day.

I am trying to figure out how to deal with this. Maybe leave a note informing them that there will be a hunter on foot up there. Maybe leave a hunter orange hat on a stick half way up to make them aware of my presence. I will be going up a couple hours before dawn

I am not sure what to do. Would they shoot even knowing I am up there? Kinda creepy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Keep in mind that they have just as much right to be there as you. The distances they may intend to shoot are completely reasonable assuming they practice and have good equipment. If you're that concerned, you may leave a note right before deer season so they know to watch for you. Make sure you have something orange on as well. Any kind of decent human being would not shoot in a direction where you were known to be hunting a unit...if you are visible and they know you're there.
To expect them to leave the area is not realistic. Try to communicate with them and strike a compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
A note is a good idea if they can read. Something like, I see your rifle rest is set up for.............., be aware I will be up there hunting so maybe you'll want to change your plans. Probably won't go over well but you tried. Here's a plan. Put up one of those deer body archery decoys out in the open where they'll be sure to see it. While it's still dark. Keep your head low till the shooting stops.

#5 ·
Me versus two long range shooters?

Deer season is only about three weeks away. It was time to take a 20 minute ride out to my sweet deer hunting spot.

I glassed from the road, saw some deer, no bucks but all is right, all will be right. Getting up there will take an hour in the dark. Then I will have command of a high connecting saddle, a great travel route for deer. Shots will max out at 250 yards

I was gonna head back but decided to snoop around a bit more. I checked out the brushy canyon I would cross ,,,then I saw two sets of boot tracks, both vibram soles. I followed them. They disappeared into the thick brush but I could see where somebody would work their way through. I did and came into a “nest” these hunters cleared out.

Their game was obvious. I saw where branches had been cut, a small opening cleared with a great view way up the mountain side. To the saddle where deer would most likely cross was maybe 650 maybe 750 yards.

One big limb was cut and rigged horizontal as a rifle rest. I figured these guys came here on this Labor day weekend and set themselves up for opening day.

I am trying to figure out how to deal with this. Maybe leave a note informing them that there will be a hunter on foot up there. Maybe leave a hunter orange hat on a stick half way up to make them aware of my presence. I will be going up a couple hours before dawn

I am not sure what to do. Would they shoot even knowing I am up there? Kinda creepy.
Note is a good idea. Not sure where you are hunting but likely to get some weather before hunting season starts. So a note exposed to weather may not last long. Maybe put it in plastic bag.

Or bring a friend and have them sit there to meet your new neighbors.

Wear a blaze orange hat and vest. I like to bring an extra vest to drap on a branch to make it very visible.

Make sure they know your there.

#6 ·
Just hope they're shooting lead free bullets at least..
If it's publicly accessible you have no more right to it than they do, and from the sounds of things they were there scouting first. This situation can best be summed up with a quote from a great philosopher "If you ain't first, you're last."

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
How’s about you realize that they have as much of a right to hunt that as you do.
Also realize that with their optics they’ll see you way before you even know they are there.
This whole post wreaks of “I’ve been going here for years and now I’m “big mad” someone else is here. How do I screw them so I have a good hunt?”
Sorry you got out hustled....

#9 ·
I discovered this ,,,”public land,,yes, everybody has right to be there”,,sweet spot a year ago last spring,,,which means nothing really. Being as I was recovering from knee surgery and still doing physical therapy, I did not hunt it as vigorously as I could have to be successful last fall, it is so steep, but I did have it all to myself all season and laid out plans for this year.

I decided to just go ahead with my original hunt plans. Hike up there in the dark and be set up ready to hunt long before dawn. Half way up there is perfect tree to sit against. I am engaging in not just a lawful hunt, but one which it as ancient as hunting,,,hike up in the dark, , carry meat down in the daylight.

A few years ago I was hunting this round top mountain above some open grass country. It was windy, cold and there was a light snow.

I got up at 3AM, was out my door at 3:30 and at the base of that round mountain about 5AM. An hour later, well before dawn I was located and ready for legal shooting light.

Just as a faint pink hue was in the eastern sky, a truck came down the road and parked. With snow on the ground I easily saw hunters getting out.

I kept my flashlight pointing down mountain at them. After a few minutes they got in their truck and drove away. My individual lawful hunt ruined their lawful hunts. “If you snooze,,,,you lose”

Before going up I will leave a note in a zip lock bag, good idea, at their shooting nest, informing them that the high country above them is being hunted. I will wear hunter orange and have a highly visible vest of that material on a stick near me. Also,,,they will see my truck there.

Their shooting nest set up is only a two minute walk from the paved road. I imagine they will be coming to their nest just before dawn but well after I have begun my hike up.. Already being up there I will watch for them and shine my flashlight down canyon to warn them of my presence,,,assuming that happens, which does seem likely. They spent sometime building that nest. That is just the way it goes on public land.

Another time I had found a great public land elk hideout. A smallish area of ideal habitat. I crossed a river with my canoe in pre season scouting. Pardon the expression but it seemed like “Duck soup” an easy hunt but on opening day the elk were gone, driven out by duck hunters setting up their blinds and camp along the river with lots of dogs running around too. That is just the way it goes on public land.

I will do all the I described above to warn them of my presence, and I do hope these long range shooters leave. It would be creepy to have them down there spotting and ready to shoot with me up there. Near certainly my lawful hunt will have ruined their lawful hunts. It is my responsibility to fill my tag. Thanks for the feedback guys. I do not take lightly ruining others hunters hunts, especially when they might have made a long drive with high hopes, I hope they have a plan “B”

DB.

#29 ·
I will do all the I described above to warn them of my presence, and I do hope these long range shooters leave. It would be creepy to have them down there spotting and ready to shoot with me up there.
The questions that follow are serious ones:
1. It really isn’t apparent from your description how far out of their direct line of fire your setup is on hunting the same saddle; will they be firing right over your head? Are you 100 yards away from their direct line of fire? Is your line of fire to the saddle 90 degrees to theirs? What is it about the scenario that makes it “creepy”?
2. What happens if the other hunters don’t leave? Both parties have determined via scouting that the saddle is a great place to see game cross; hunting on stand has always been an excellent way to take undisturbed game, especially on opening day.

#11 ·
Tumbleweed: Wasn't implying they were complete fools. The note is just a precautionary measure to remind them they aren't the only one's out there. With all the crazies in our world today, we never know what we're dealing with and a person should do whatever they feel is necessary to protect themselves. The fact these guys have set up some sort of command post does give us a small window into their character. Just because their actions are legal and their entitlement is intact, doesn't mean a person should sit back and not try to work with them.

#14 ·
I've been doing this for quite a while and have been mentored by some of the best..

I've never seen or heard of someone pre cutting a limb for shooting rest ever, especially for a shot at that distance. My best guess is it was probably big foot.

#15 ·
I also noticed this,,the tracks i saw from both of these long range shooters showed that they were "duck footed", one far more so than the other.

Not always, but being duckfooted has a high association with being overweight, or obese

Here is link about this. After my knee surgery I got a full course of Physical therapy about ideal body alignment and keeping core back , stomach and pelvic muscles toned. Even if not obese, flabby core muscle tone leads to being duckfooted

https://fitletes.com/nation/what-do-you-and-ducks-have-in-common/

#20 ·
So,now they are fat, illiterate, long range shooters.. who built a blind... (which no long shooters I know do...) You’re the kinda guy who knows how to make friends and sway people’s opinions aren’t ya?
Maybe this is a older hunter, a disabled person or a youth that needs a rest and a place to be out of the elements? Just an idea.
By all means though, keep throwing out disparaging ideas about whoever did this... it really helps us get a read on your character.

#16 ·
Idea just occurred to me. You get there early enough, set up in their spot. Once they are gone you can move. You have just as much right in that spot as they do!

#19 ·
With all the effort they put in, my guess is they saw what they consider a toad in that spot. Don't plan on them passing the spot on opening day. If I felt the creeps about being shot, I would skip it for opening morning, and meet them back at their truck and come up with a joint plan.

#21 ·
Tumbleweed: By character I was simply pointing out different hunting styles. Some get out and make it happen, other sit and wait for it to happen. One is hunting, one is shooting. Kinda difficult to know which group they fit into. DB mentioned, "duckfoot."

If it were me in this situation, I'd make the adjustment, wouldn't expect them to do anything. Everyone has a legal right to do their own thing.

If they think they have a big boy located and this is the best approach, good for them. It may work opening morning (I doubt it), certainly not after the woods get stirred up.

#23 ·
Maybe you should book a hunt on private. Eliminate the competition.

#31 ·
I do a lot of waiting for game. It's called still hunting. Setting up a blind and a rest kinda reminds me of those TV shows in Texas and various other places where towers are placed for shooting over food. Most of the TV whitetail hunting shows show some variation of this which most of us find disgusting, although legal. I see nothing wrong with going out and scouting for a likely spot and arranging something for concealment. The actual preparation lends its self to hunting, not like shooting from permanent locations over food as the TV shows depict. The fellows represented in this discussion may have done the leg work necessary to be successful and if so, I wish them luck. It just isn't the way most of us go about it.

We need to address another issue mentioned, the long range side of things. Just how safe is it not knowing who else is in the area. DB says the area can be hunted where shots are 250 yards or less. If we can hunt successfully where short range shots are available, why would we set up differently? This intentional effort to create difficult, possibly unethical shots, isn't hunting. But, that's just me....

#57 ·
I do a lot of waiting for game. It's called still hunting. Setting up a blind and a rest kinda reminds me of those TV shows in Texas and various other places where towers are placed for shooting over food. Most of the TV whitetail hunting shows show some variation of this which most of us find disgusting, although legal. I see nothing wrong with going out and scouting for a likely spot and arranging something for concealment. The actual preparation lends its self to hunting, not like shooting from permanent locations over food as the TV shows depict. The fellows represented in this discussion may have done the leg work necessary to be successful and if so, I wish them luck. It just isn't the way most of us go about it.
I just wanted to comment on this. I grew up hunting in TX, and for the vast majority of hunters, that's the only practical way to hunt there. There is next to no public hunting land, the state sold all of it state trust land a long time ago.

So most hunters are hunting on small family or friends farms anywhere from 50-200 acres in size. Once farms/ranches get bigger than that, they typically start leasing it out to hunters, usually in 50 acre portions which can cost anywhere from $1k-3k annually (more if you take your kids as they are "additional hunters"), and I'm talking about normal low fence cattle ranches.

The lack of having hundreds of thousands of public land is why the hunting culture in TX is the way it is. You gotta play with the hand you're dealt. It's awesome having huge chunks of public land to hunt on here now, but I don't view my hunting growing up as disgusting. :twocents:

#33 ·
I would be more worried about short range / road hunting than a long range shooter. Short range/truck are concentrated on the object on hand, where as a long range more than likely is surveying the whole picture. However, canyons, hillside and galleys lends itself to making anything invisible. A longe range more than will have more "patience" to make sure the shot is right, wind, elevation, heat, earth ration, heart beat, blah, blah.... that said, mistakes are made by everyone. Enjoy your hunt and wear an orange hat. No reason for camo other than archery and then I still had a patch of orange on with bear hunters, target shooters and road hear shots out there.

#34 ·
Oh someone who's actually done it chimes in.

Shh, that kind of real world experience has no place in an internet thread.

This whole thing thread is laughable, whether it be the first ever special cut tree rest sniper hide, or the tracking job of the fat guys (because only fat guys shoot long range). Kind of reminds me of when we'd take kids on snipe hunts as a teenager.

#35 ·
Maybe they’ve been hunting “your spot” for 20 years and you’re the interloper.

Maybe the duck feet is a side effect of cancer treatment or battle wounds inflicted while serving our country.

Maybe it’s an old, old man on his last hunt with his grown son.

Maybe.

#41 ·
Maybe, just maybe, they do their preseason scouting from that perch and trimmed branches in order to glass better! Maybe instead of hiking into the area they want to hunt, they're being more effective glassing it! Maybe, they aren't long range shooters at all and hunt with 30-30's. Maybe they're skinny in shape guys that just walk funny! You're making a lot of assumptions about people you've never met, and yourself coming off as the last purist the sport of hunting will ever see. I think it's time you get off your high horse and just go hunt instead preaching to everyone how your way is the only way to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.