IFish Fishing Forum banner

The state patrol rolling slowdown.

20K views 103 replies 42 participants last post by  jvp 
#1 ·
You ever notice how many people are afraid to pass a state patrol officer on the highway?

I was rolling down I-5 this morning and came up on 4 lanes of traffic 20 cars deep. Look ahead and sure enough a state patrol officer is ahead of everyone and doing a few miles an hour under the speed limit.

He was probably laughing to himself about all the knuckleheads afraid to go past him.:jester:

I was finally able to get around the traffic and continue on down the highway. Sure enough as soon as the sheeple saw he wasn't gonna give everyone a ticket for passing him while doing 60mph,it opened the flood gates.

#61 ·
Like I've said a gazillion times. the posted speed is not the speed limit. The actual speed limit is based on many things, mostly by who is in charge of that stretch of road and the prevailing conditions. Big difference in driving ten over in a school zone or residential area and the freeway where the posted speed is 65+.

In many cases, the flow of traffic dictates the actual speed limit when it exceeds the posted speed. When the posted speed is 65 and the flow of traffic is 75, the police are looking for those going faster than the prevailing speed. Many times their radar is set to alert the officer of those cars going 15 or so over the posted speed, those cars exceeding the prevailing speed. At the same time, a driver not keeping up with the flow is probably more dangerous than those exceeding the prevailing speed. The faster car is getting out of the way of those drivers around them while the slower cars are in everyone's way.

From a safety standpoint and also being courteous to those drivers around you, the prevailing speed is the correct speed without reguard to the posted speed. Inconsistency creates unsafe conditions.

#63 ·
Like I've said a gazillion times. the posted speed is not the speed limit. The actual speed limit is based on many things, mostly by who is in charge of that stretch of road and the prevailing conditions. Big difference in driving ten over in a school zone or residential area and the freeway where the posted speed is 65+.

In many cases, the flow of traffic dictates the actual speed limit when it exceeds the posted speed. When the posted speed is 65 and the flow of traffic is 75, the police are looking for those going faster than the prevailing speed. Many times their radar is set to alert the officer of those cars going 15 or so over the posted speed, those cars exceeding the prevailing speed. At the same time, a driver not keeping up with the flow is probably more dangerous than those exceeding the prevailing speed. The faster car is getting out of the way of those drivers around them while the slower cars are in everyone's way.

From a safety standpoint and also being courteous to those drivers around you, the prevailing speed is the correct speed without reguard to the posted speed. Inconsistency creates unsafe conditions.

Well then I want a refund for that speeding ticket I got when I was the last car in a line of cars going 65 in a 55 on the coast. Because I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic.

#64 ·
Maniacmikey: Yea, I got one of those around McMinville when there was that mandatory 55 everywhere rule to conserve gasoline. I was last in line and he caught me going one over what the prevailing speed was. They were going 64, I was going 65. Had been following them for quite some distance.

Despite what I've posted here, I sometimes find the prevailing speed to be a bit faster than what I want to drive and do move to the "slow(er)" lane(s). I don't normally drive my truck over 68/69 in order to keep the mileage within reason but if I have to speed up to get out of someone's way, I will.

I do some driving out of state where the posted speed is 70 and above but it's rare that I'll actually drive that fast. I will do it to be courteous to those around me but kick it back once I'm in the clear.

I don't know how many of you drive I-84 eastbound through Portland but you'll find folks doing all sorts of speeds, from 45 to 75. The biggest problems are those driving less than the prevailing speed. It makes for some dangerous situations, just as bad as those going 75.

I'm 66 years old, I have never gotten a speeding ticket, I always drive up to five over the posted speed except where the posted speed is 25 or less.

#73 ·
My point was that the only car you can control is the one you are driving. Yes, the law applies to everyone but only the guys with the badge and guns should be attempting to enforce it.

Instead, some people get very upset when they follow the law to the letter and other people go faster than they do. They decide to find a nice truck to pace in the left lane so that no one can disobey the law they have decided to enforce. Add a hot-head with somewhere to be and we have a road rage incident.

#74 ·
My point was that the only car you can control is the one you are driving. Yes, the law applies to everyone but only the guys with the badge and guns should be attempting to enforce it.

Instead, some people get very upset when they follow the law to the letter and other people go faster than they do. They decide to find a nice truck to pace in the left lane so that no one can disobey the law they have decided to enforce. Add a hot-head with somewhere to be and we have a road rage incident.
Got it.

#85 ·
L:ike the idea
Not sure I would want something built into my car thta gives big government and insurance companies somethign that watches over you

But I do Like having a GPS that gives me my current speed and posted speed. I have one car that is going 5-6 MPH another 3-4 slower than speedometer -says. It would be nice if there was a std where everyone is driving to the same std ( GPS speed)

If you have ever tried to drive the speed limit on most Oregon highways - you will find yourself alone or pxvving off people. Maybe we should become more realistic about what speed limits should be.

#87 ·
Do not know - I think the majority want to do a reasonable speed limit. The issue is what is reasonable

I think in areas like Salem to POrtland they really could spend some time pulling people over for going slow and impeding traffic in the far left lane. Educate them on "Slower traffic use right lane".

It helps having a state and cities that focus on moving traffic , expanding lanes, creating loops to move traffic around congestion areas. Eliminating bottle necks vs focusing on mass transit and bicycle.We have 75 MPH on all freeways outside major metro area - which is 65.:excited:

#89 ·
I kept thinking this thread would fall off the front page. It hasn't, so I thought I'd add my two cents.

----------

From crabbait: I takes two to make a road rage incident. Rolling road-blockers are no better than speeders.

-------------

There are two issues here:

1. Speeding
2. Impeding

Both are illegal and one is not more illegal than the other. Impeding traffic is defined in Oregon as the following:

(1) A person commits the offense of impeding traffic if the person drives a motor vehicle or a combination of motor vehicles in a manner that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. (811.130)

Impeding dovetails with 811.315 "Failure of slow driver to drive on right" - you commit this offense if you are operating a vehicle at less than the normal speed of traffic and are not doing it in the right-hand lane.

Note that "normal speed of traffic" does not mean the speed limit. You can still impede and fail to follow 811.315 by driving the speed limit in the left lanes.

Again, neither is more or less illegal than the other... except that by impeding the flow of traffic you might also be breaking 811.315

#91 ·
Yeah, but I think there is a big difference between "can't pass" and "won't pass". Good point.

Aside: Here in Costa Rica there are several different branches of law enforcement. The white "patrol" cars are after criminals, they don't enforce traffic law, that is left to the blue cars, the "transitos". There are also walking police officers that are there to help the touristas and maintain order on the street. They don't do traffic either.

All of the new police cars were a gift from China, hundreds of them. When they got the cars several years ago there was a rash of accidents involving police cars. To stem this and to bring more attention to the police presence, they are encouraged to drive around with their red and blue lights on.

At first it is a little disconcerting when a police car rolls up behind you with the lights on and you ignore it. You get more used to it as you see them with the lights on everywhere, like waiting in the McDonald's drive-thru with everything on but the siren.

(They didn't have a problem pulling over motorists before they got the new cop cars. They use little green cones and automatic weapons.)

Digression over.

#94 ·
When I was a civil servant, as a general rule with exceptions, I would not stop a car on 26 unless it was going at least 10 over. But after dark I would and that was just to see if I could find anything else. If they were clean I gave them a warning and let them go. I took a class given by the states head traffic engineer. He said most of the h-ways in Oregon are built to handle traffic safely at 80MPH. It was also proven that slower drivers cause more crashes than fast drivers. They are obstacles in the way that cause an unexpected change in the flow of traffic.

I have received a citation for driving 3MPH over in a 25 in Forest Grove and one for going 6 over in a 35, that one was in Verboort. I have been let go with a warning for going 20 over in a 55.

Cops speed all the time. What dose this say about the speed limit? I don’t know the answer to that but if 99% of drivers are exceeding the posted limit and doing it safely then perhaps the limit is just too low.

My above statements are for highway traffic only.

#95 ·
I had to deal with both sides yesterday.

Was headed down I5 in the left lane, was going about 72 (set my cruise control), was keeping a safe distance to a group of about 5 cars in from on me, we were passing all sorts of cars on the right 2 lanes when an SUV came up and starting riding a cars length behind me (all I saw was SUV grill in my mirror). As I was passing tons of cars on my right, there was no real chance to get over. Then the SUV jumped over (got closer than NASCAR) to the middle lane, then to the right lane, went about 90 and did another NASCAR move to the middle lane, then in front of me (again, had plenty of space between me and the next care to follow at a safe distance), and then he was stuck going 72 MPH again. He moved up 1 car space and put about 10-15 lives at risk doing it.

On my way back, I had the opposite. Was got in the left lane and a pickup was going 60 MPH in the left lane. Got to an open stretch, still wouldn't get over, so I had to pass on the right.

Not saying I am a perfect driver, and occasionally don't do things wrong. But these are the 2 extreme cases that I think everyone is getting heated about. Just be aware of what is going on around you, and don't feel like one car length is worth driving like a maniac.

#98 ·
"I took a class given by the states head traffic engineer. He said most of the h-ways in Oregon are built to handle traffic safely at 80MPH. It was also proven that slower drivers cause more crashes than fast drivers. They are obstacles in the way that cause an unexpected change in the flow of traffic."

That is a pretty interesting comment coming form the states head traffic engineer especially considering that there is 2 different speed limits posted on I-5. 65 mph for auto and 55 mph for trucks. Why would they purposely have 2 different speed limits?

#102 ·
Roads are engineered for 80 mph.

Most drivers are not.

IMO, if you're going 631 mph in the left lane and someone approaches you from behind, you should slide over to the right, let them be on their way at 695 mph, then move left again if you need to.

It's not hard to find space to slide over if you use the ****** pedal on the right.

It's just courtesy. You don't have to be courteous...........but why wouldn't you be?

#103 ·
Roads are engineered for 80 mph.
Most drivers are not.
That is why people need to be trained and qualified to drive on freeways like they do in some countries. The traiing would be acquired through private companies who would train and certify.

Then LEO enforce the laws heavily.
Do not know how many times I have seen peopel putting on make up, shaving, or reading books driving in the wrong lane.

I bet you that would open up the freeways - I bet most would fail or be ticketed.

#104 ·
straight from the state the speed limit is dependent on the road conditions and you can get a ticket for going the speed limit if it is warranted. that being said there are more times than not that i am going past the officer at 5 over while trying to avoid those breaking and pulling into the right lane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.