Never been to Brownlee but I want to catch some cats, crappie and bass... Help??? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

Default Never been to Brownlee but I want to catch some cats, crappie and bass... Help???

I need a fix in a bad way. No boat and looking for some areas to bank it and catch some cats and crappie. I have heard for years Brownlee was the place to go but never tried. Can anyone give me some info on places to go, what to try etc? I live about 8 hours away and will be looking to plan a trip for a few days of camping and fishing.

Thank you so much!

Tacklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
snagtree
Steelhead

Default Re: Never been to Brownlee but I want to catch some cats, crappie and bass... Help???

go to huntington or get info there or take the road north out of town to a boat launch just follow the road west and fishing spots all along the road had good luck with worms
snagtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Snapset
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Never been to Brownlee but I want to catch some cats, crappie and bass... Help???

When are you going?
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
[email protected]
Steelhead

Thumbs down Re: Never been to Brownlee but I want to catch some cats, crappie and bass... Help???

Do not go in June it was 106 there two years ago...
rsalata@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
idaho jones
Cutthroat

you might think about driving down to oxbow reservoir. it is past richland oregon if you are coming from the west. the crappie, catfish and bass fishing is very good. there is good road access for bank fishermen. i think it is a lot more scenic as well. good luck
idaho jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Tacklebuster. Reserve a camp site at Hewitt Park in Richland, OR for around mid-late May.
Book a day w/ Crappie Chaser when you first get there to get you started and pointed in the right direction.
After that I'm sure you will not have any issues catching all the fish you like.
I would also second the suggestion to take a drive over to Oxbow for the day and fish over there. Like said very scenic.

Wait a second, no boat?.......liar.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Slugranch
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacklebuster View Post
I need a fix in a bad way. No boat and looking for some areas to bank it and catch some cats and crappie. I have heard for years Brownlee was the place to go but never tried. Can anyone give me some info on places to go, what to try etc? I live about 8 hours away and will be looking to plan a trip for a few days of camping and fishing.

Thank you so much!
Get in touch with Crappie Chaser. He's the guy with the knowledge.
Slugranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
chumdoggy
Steelhead

When my buddy and I first went to Brownlee we fished the first day with Crappie Chaser. He was very knowledgeable and generous with his advice. Totally worth the money you will spend. Hewitt in mid-May is beautiful. Good Luck!
chumdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Slick

The problem with mid-May is that the fishing is phenomenal around here right about then. Hard to go completely across the state when they are banging it so good here. Smallmouth that is.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
chef serg
Sturgeon

Anyone know how much crappie chasser charges for his trips??
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
adrenaline
King Salmon

Hard to go wrong at Brownlee in May Chris, memorial weekend should be avoided tho cause of the crowds, mid to late April can be good also, we are going in late April/early May, hope to get there by April 28th if I can get a couple extra days off, we will be camping at Morgan cr, or the graveyard area, depending on water level, plenty of bank fishing around the area, stop in, if your in the area than, 24' shasta MH, 15' valco.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
FreshSalt
Steelhead

Whatever you do don't over think the fish there, catching them is easier than you may think. If you catch a true sucker, cut it for catfish bait. another thing is don't overcast the catfish, sometimes they are just off the bank.

Been several years since I was there but i cut my teeth fishing Brownlee.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
The problem with mid-May is that the fishing is phenomenal around here right about then. Hard to go completely across the state when they are banging it so good here. Smallmouth that is.
I was thinking the same thing Slick.
I always like the 3-4 week in June before they start drawing down and the topwater is off the hook.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
jimhs
Coho

Richland is a great place to fish. If you have a boat that is. There isn't a whole lot of bank access there. For bank fishing there are miles and miles of access from Huntington down, and also as someone else mentioned, there is also a lot of access to bank angling from Oxbow park down as well. And if you go to Oxbow, you can also go upstream to Brownlee Dam and there is plenty of bank access that direction too.

Jim
jimhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
FelonFinder
Tuna!

You can fish around the bank near the launches where the parks are at. Bring a bucket and spend the afternoon filling it. If you go in mid-May to mid-June, you can catch oodles of crappie at both parks outside Richland. It helps to know what you are doing, but it ain't rocket science. Richland doesn't have the huge stretches of bank access, so I agree on that part. But it has plenty of places to find crappie there, and a decent campground. Once a spot is dead, fish elsewhere. Come back in an hour. More fish have moved in! This will get you a couple or few dozen fish. Or do it the right way and book a day with Crappie Chaser. Get a lot more fish! Get some little jigs and catch some crappie this spring!
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #16
cryptic4u2
Fry

I am going to brownlee for the first time in june and will be staying at the state park, Farewell Bend. Is the crappie fishing and good in that area or should I haul my boat to richland and fish them areas. My boat Motor is an outboard jet and it loves the gas so I don't like to travel to far on the water if I can help it.
cryptic4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
michalchik1
Fry

Going w/ a small shad dart would work great for fishing crappie off the bank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	julie shad darts.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	39132