Worm bedding for a worm box..? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
SpinGlo68
Chromer

Default Worm bedding for a worm box..?

Any one know where to get some decent worm bedding for a worm box.Tryin to start a worm box for my step kid,dont really want to use clumpy dirt or shredded newspaper but will if i have to.Im lookin more like a mossy type,easier to dig thru too..thx

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Sgt.Slaughter
Sturgeon

Default Re: Worm bedding for a worm box..?

i'd use peat moss and potting soil from a nursery
Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Hawk JJ
Steelhead

Here is a couple ideas bro.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...worm/worm.html

http://www.bing.com/search?q=worm%20...B&PC=SUN1&QS=n
Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Nature Harvester
Steelhead

You should really consider using dirt at least mixed with something. In my experience a good ol dirt worm catches more fish than any other type of bedding.
Nature Harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Speed Goat
Steelhead

I use black and white newsprint ripped into strips. No colored paper or glossy paper. Been using it for 30 years with no problems.
Speed Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Seems like if you went to the forest and got some of that really loose dark soil from under the pine trees it would be awesome.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
SpinGlo68
Chromer

Great ideas...ya was more planning on using something loose ...all though i firmy believe in good ol' mud worms catch the fish better but still want to try n keep it semi neat...thx for the replies fellas ..step kid is gonna have to learn how to catch 'em now...ha ha ha thinks its gonna be easy..!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
fishandcrawl
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinGlo68 View Post
Any one know where to get some decent worm bedding for a worm box.Tryin to start a worm box for my step kid,dont really want to use clumpy dirt or shredded newspaper but will if i have to.Im lookin more like a mossy type,easier to dig thru too..thx
You said it in the last sentence, get some thick moss off an alder tree. Always worked for my crawlers.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

I used to collect and sell worms as a kid - and I always bought the Frabil worm bedding from Bi-Mart...I believe it was mostly finely shredded news paper. I went that route, becuase it was easier to clean, and easier to dig the worms out - than my original dirt filled box. If I were doing it today - I might try potting soil - good fertile soil that'll keep the worms healthy, and drains well enough that it won't get too hard.

The Frabil bedding had to be replaced/replenished at least once a week. My worm box as a kid was 18" x 24" x 6" deep, and I'd normally have a couple hundred worms on-hand for both personal and business use

It was a great little business as a kid - I sold worms for a dollar a dozen and it gave me spending money to buy toys, fishing tackle, or candy... I did that from about age 12 to 16 - when I was 16 I started getting "real" jobs.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinGlo68 View Post
Great ideas...ya was more planning on using something loose ...all though i firmy believe in good ol' mud worms catch the fish better but still want to try n keep it semi neat...thx for the replies fellas ..step kid is gonna have to learn how to catch 'em now...ha ha ha thinks its gonna be easy..!

It's always fun showing the kids the nighttime rainy evening spot and stalk with a little flashlight to catch the crawlers, can be challenging too, them critters are pretty fast for a worm

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

I used to maintain a worm bed for walleye fishing.
I used an old ice chest cooler filled with a mix of shredded newpaper, leaves mulched by the lawn mower the previous fall, a little used coffee grinds and a little fine ground corn meal sprinked on top from time to time.

I layered the materials in 1/4" layers and the worms fed on each as they desired.

By the end of the season they had it all mixed up. If I remembered to bring them into the garage before the first freeze, they'd winter over fine. (If I remembered to feed them some cornmeal & keep the bedding moist.) Other times I forgot and they didn't make it. Oh well, gather several handfuls during the spring rains and rebuild the mix w/ fresh.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
sbasser
Chromer

I'd expect that the effluent from your paper shredder would be useful, and a great way to recycle it. Add peat moss, topsoil, old coffee grounds... they'll love it.

One tip I'll pass along for getting regular earthworms to come out of the ground. When I was a kid, I read about electric gizmos. It gave me the idea to use a pitch fork stuck into the ground when it was soft and squishy. Twang the handle, and the worms would come roaring out of the ground. Notice, it's not April 1, and I'm not pulling your leg. It works! C&R, Steve
sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #13
SpinGlo68
Chromer

So of all these suggestions i will use a bit of everything..been reading up on this worm composting thing also.Although i do like the cornmeal thing and coffee thing..thx! Ya back when i was a kid my dad had these two metal prongs taped to two electrical wires and would plug them into the outlet...of course after water saturating the ground...ha ha ha now that i think back i remember the funny tingling sensation as i was pickin..but them wormies were every where..i wouldnt do that to my step kid though..funny now that i think back.

Last edited by SpinGlo68; 04-11-2011 at 04:09 AM.
SpinGlo68 is offline   Reply With Quote