willy for cats? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Nunez
Steelhead

Default willy for cats?

i was wondering if the willamette down by Albany is any good for catfish i know it is good by portland and im sure they are here but ive never really got into catfishing so i do not know much about them...

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Chris61182
Steelhead

Default Re: willy for cats?

Well since no one has offered up any suggestions I think that would require an investigatory trip :grin:. I look forward to hearing the results !
Old 06-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Nunez
Steelhead

lol i guess so the next night its warm ill head out and try to land a cat and ill let you know of my results
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
snaggedagain
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunez View Post
lol i guess so the next night its warm ill head out and try to land a cat and ill let you know of my results

hey I don't target them but just below meldrum bar while sturgeon fishing we have hooked a few 2 lb cats on smelt if that helps
snaggedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Troutinator
Tuna!

meldrum is not exactly Albany area... I know you're just trying to be helpful but the specific question was Albany area.

That said... do not eat any cats you catch below Eugene. Years and years of industrial waste discharge and ag runoff have elevated the toxin level way beyond what a sane person would expose themselves to. Just a reminder.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Nunez
Steelhead

ya im not a big fan of catfish so i will not be keeping them its just fun to go out and hang out and chill by a fire and drink a 12 pack of bee uhh i mean soda and catch some ugly catfish while doing it
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Phager

I know there's some cats in Adair Pond out by 99W, probably not legal to have a fire going there, but I don't know.

Pat
Phager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
hunter9
Steelhead

corvallis area, my buddy from osu caught a 10lb channel like a month ago.he said it was a cove area and that they were jumping all over
hunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Chris61182
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter9 View Post
corvallis area, my buddy from osu caught a 10lb channel like a month ago.he said it was a cove area and that they were jumping all over
That's a nice size cat, though odds are it was carp that he saw jumping. The cat was probably in there eating the eggs as they spawned.

There are also some monster carp around the Corvallis area as well for those with the patience and know-how. Though a bow-fisher could make short work of the ones in the areas I've been as they don't seem terribly spooked by anything going on above water only in the water.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris61182 View Post
That's a nice size cat, though odds are it was carp that he saw jumping. The cat was probably in there eating the eggs as they spawned.

There are also some monster carp around the Corvallis area as well for those with the patience and know-how. Though a bow-fisher could make short work of the ones in the areas I've been as they don't seem terribly spooked by anything going on above water only in the water.
I've caught cats just about anywhere's i've ever tried around albany. All bullheads. The old monteith dock, that little walk-in access just east of bowman park, off the bank right where springhill meets that little bluff that slides off every couple years, all have kicked out some bullheads. Worms on the bottom. The bond butte pond right off of I-5 south of brownsville used to have quite a few large channels in it back in the late '80s but I've heard nothing about that place for years.

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?

Last edited by Salmonator; 06-14-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
viigfish
Chromer

In the mid 60's there were several truckloads of channel cats planted by the ODFW at Harrisburg. I would think they could be anywhere below there. I know some made it, I caught some 4 and five pounders 3 years later. I moved from the area after that so I don't know if they are still around. Good luck!

RV
viigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Nunez
Steelhead

thanks well ive been busy so i havent got out but i will be sure to show of my results