Fern Ridge When the Water is Down? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Bassinator
Chromer

Default Fern Ridge When the Water is Down?

Ok so I fish Fern every now and then. The bass populations are not that huge I have heard but I know there are some sows in there. When the water gets brought down I know it will concentrate the fish more which will make it easier to get a big bag. But that lake gets really low in the fall. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could possibly get my bass boat in there. Its a bass tracker so scratching fiber glass is not a problem. I was thinking down by the dam?? Plus if anyone knows how the fishing is around this time please let me know. Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Skunk Dawg
Steelhead

Default Re: Fern Ridge When the Water is Down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassinator View Post
Ok so I fish Fern every now and then. The bass populations are not that huge I have heard but I know there are some sows in there. When the water gets brought down I know it will concentrate the fish more which will make it easier to get a big bag. But that lake gets really low in the fall. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could possibly get my bass boat in there. Its a bass tracker so scratching fiber glass is not a problem. I was thinking down by the dam?? Plus if anyone knows how the fishing is around this time please let me know. Thanks.
It's been years since I fished Fern Ridge even though I grew up in Eugene. Orchard point should allow you to launch. Maybe Perkins Pennisula State Park. Can't help you much beyond that. Fish rip rap where ever you can find it ?
Skunk Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
shawfowl
Steelhead

Quote:
The draw down of the lake will begin Oct 1st. After a few week's the only available launch will be at the dam.At time's it can be a little rough backing into the water.Watch out for the knee deep pot hole's.Perkin's and Orchard park ramp's will mostly like locked up after the second week of Oct.

You can keep track of the water level's here.
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...cfm?Id=G205830
shawfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
fishhead69
Tuna!

When it starts to drop the best place to put in is right by the dam. Orchard point closes at about first of october or so as do most otehr ramps. There is a ramp there at the dam (west end) and you can put in there all year. As you get out from the dam watch for stumps just below the surface. There are a bunch out towards perkins penninsula and the island.
That lake is pretty shallow from about 500 yards from the dam on south. It usually starts to drop about 4-6" a day on first week of october. Thats usually when they start the draw down.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Bassinator
Chromer

K thanks everyone! this helps. But can anyone tell me how the fishing is? I know the spring time fishing is good. But what about the fall? DJD where are you when I need you!! lol
Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
DJD
Steelhead

Quote:
K thanks everyone! this helps. But can anyone tell me how the fishing is? I know the spring time fishing is good. But what about the fall? DJD where are you when I need you!! lol
Dont have internet anymore so have to use library computer; fish are starting fall bite now and will only get better for about the next month or so......
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Can't say on bass, but we sure used to kill the crappy off the dam in October.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Bassinator
Chromer

Hey DJD! Glad to hear from ya! Dont know when I will again lol. Is the fishing good down by the dam? I have caught big fish in the spring on the road bed that goes into the water but thats about it. Thanks for everyone's responses.