Tahkenitch Perch! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
BassinFever
Chromer

Default Tahkenitch Perch!

I'm not a perch fisherman, but I was Bass fishing Tahkenitch last Friday and caught 10" Perch on a 4" senko! They wouldn't leave us alone! I'm sure if we were to have targeted them we could have filled the boat!

BassinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
wannasteelhead
Steelhead

Default Re: Tahkenitch Perch!

It would be good to see this fishery come back to life. My last few trips, years back only yielded tiny perch. How was the bassin'?
wannasteelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Smj
King Salmon

That's good to hear, we'll be down there next week...and the next, and the next.

Last year we got a load of perch from there. I fugure we were doing the fishery a favor and culled every thing under 9" and kept a lot over 9". I would hope this year there'd be alot more 11"-12" perch.

In '08 we'd done very well on perch at Woahink and figured last year the Woahink perch would be monsters, but we never could find anything but little ones. That's when we switched to Tahk.

Is there any chance you'd throw me a bone on the bass there at Tahkenitch?? Of course I don't keep any, why would I, I've got all the tasty perch I can eat not to mention the cats. Area, lures, paterns....Excact location? We only get down that way once a year and most of the time IF we do fish bass it's just in the early morning for a bit with poppers/chuggers and a 6" worm T-rigged.

PMs would be good, from anyone, and I swear I'd take any secrets to my grave, LOL.

Smj
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
BassinFever
Chromer

OOP'S Sorry!!!

BassinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Doug Warren
Tuna!

No bass in Tahkenitch.....just perch
Doug Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Not kidding about filing the boat w/ perch. We just got back yesterday from our week out there, wasn't a day when we didn't land 40-50 perch at least. We kept a bunch for dinner. My very first fish on my first cast of the trip was a 16" trout - a nice surprise. No other trout caught the rest of the trip - but lots of 8-10" perch. I caught maybe 30 crappie the whole trip, biggest around 10". We night fished three nights - skunked the first night, but second night we brought 22 fish back to the dock (mostly 12-16") for a big ol' fish fry - would've had more but we ran out of bait that night. Next night out we boated & released about as many fish in an hour.

I landed 6 species of fish on the trip - LMB (all small), yellow perch, black crappie, pumpkinseed, channel cat, and my lone trout.

Only fish I bait fished for were the cats (though, everyone else in the boat was drowning worms most of the time) - I was tossing Trout Magnet jigs in tandem - one white and one tan. All of the fish save for the cats came to those jigs. (Thanks to Codeman for turning me on to them!)

I'm in love with Tahkenitch now, we're starting to save up for a trip next year. Am planning to have my boat up and running by then. Beautiful lake.
mkwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
FelonFinder
Tuna!

Ran out of bait? What about those perch? Their parts are good bait!
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

We were going to take a big ol bag of perch guts for bait, but someone forgot them back at camp All we had on the boat was two dozen crawlers and some Berkley Power Honey Worms - which the cats refused to touch. The perch chunks and guts did make for good crab bait though - we had LOTS of crab in our pots, only got to retain 9 though - most were either an inch undersized, or they were BIG fat females. Very few males in our pots, even fewer of keeper size. They were dern good eating though. We went to my bud's mom's place in North Bend a couple times - and the second dinner there we had a big buffet - fresh chunked catfish fillets (battered and fried), crab left over (frozen after cooking) from two nights before, along with what was left of a baked chicken & ribs dinner from the previous night - all with fried taters and mixed veg. Heck of a feed for sure!

My wife & I are already looking forward to our next big trip down there - though we're saving up to rent a houseboat on the lake because by the time we're ready for such a trip - we'll have a little one a few months old. The houseboat we're looking at would be perfect for taking baby along.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
rwr
Steelhead

Maybe I'm missing something here, but where can you rent houseboats at Tahkenitch?
rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
FelonFinder
Tuna!

Ya, that sounds awesome.
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
codeman
Tuna!

MKWERX sounds like a fun trip!!! Glad those trout magnet lures worked out for ya. I sure love em. I work a crazy shift, rotating 12 hours, but maybe we can do some slaying of panfish together sometime?? Even if its not till next spring, we should keep in touch. I no a spot up in washington where we can slay crappies even during the winter.......so we should set something up!! Good job on those perch.
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Check out the website VRBO - there is at least one house on the lake that is for rent on that site. We ran in to two couples who had rented it. Also ran into a different older couple that would rent their 14 foot alum boat to folks renting a houseboat on the lake.

There is also currently a nice house for sale, near the fishing village, comes furnished (including 20 sets of dishes) all turn key for $198k, if you've got a lot of coin to drop.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Doug Warren
Tuna!

With my luck the house would sink
Doug Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
shawfowl
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwerx View Post
Not kidding about filing the boat w/ perch. We just got back yesterday from our week out there, wasn't a day when we didn't land 40-50 perch at least. We kept a bunch for dinner. My very first fish on my first cast of the trip was a 16" trout - a nice surprise. No other trout caught the rest of the trip - but lots of 8-10" perch. I caught maybe 30 crappie the whole trip, biggest around 10". We night fished three nights - skunked the first night, but second night we brought 22 fish back to the dock (mostly 12-16") for a big ol' fish fry - would've had more but we ran out of bait that night. Next night out we boated & released about as many fish in an hour.

I landed 6 species of fish on the trip - LMB (all small), yellow perch, black crappie, pumpkinseed, channel cat, and my lone trout.

Only fish I bait fished for were the cats (though, everyone else in the boat was drowning worms most of the time) - I was tossing Trout Magnet jigs in tandem - one white and one tan. All of the fish save for the cats came to those jigs. (Thanks to Codeman for turning me on to them!)

I'm in love with Tahkenitch now, we're starting to save up for a trip next year. Am planning to have my boat up and running by then. Beautiful lake.
Channel cat's, that is a first for that lake. It is overloaded with Yellow Bullhead's though.If those are channel's your catching i would keep the spot to yourself.
shawfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Well, our "secret" cat spot will just have to remain so until next year I guess. I'm hoping that on our return trip, I might meet up with one of those bass in there that is more than 10" long... I've seen the pix of the big guys - some even coming on flyrods (woot!) - so there's hope yet.