First time Willamette from the boat - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Ingraham
Steelhead

Default First time Willamette from the boat

Hey everyone,
A buddy knows Iíve been doing a lot of smallie fishing since spring and wants me to go out with him on his boat tomorrow and teach him how to smallie fish. We are going to put in at Boatworks (across from Wilsonville) and I was thinking about fishing between the mouth of the Molalla and the Tualatin rivers, maybe even up to Rock Island. The problem is that I have only bank fished the Willamette because most my fishing is in my pontoons on the smaller rivers. The last good post on this stretch of river was in the spring so Iím not sure what has changed on the bite. He also just toled me his trolling motor is out of commission which may make things a bit more tricky. Any advice?
Ingraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Default Re: First time Willamette from the boat

Move, anchor...move, anchor........maybe drift a bit as well.
I do most of my fishing while anchored out deeper of the area I intend to fish. I leave the bowmount deployed and simply raise the anchor, move a bit via elec and gently drop the anchor a few yards up/down river and work it a bit and move on again.
Hunt'nFish

So I've always liked having a "drift boat" style anchor ratchet system.
Here's a pic of my setup: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/DSCN3468.jpg

Last edited by Hunt'nFish; 09-13-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
R-fishin
Coho

I agree with Hunt'nFish. I usually put in at the ramp in Newberg and work my way down the river drifting, then anchoring when I find a spot I think would be worthwhile. I havent spent much time lately in that stretch, but I have seen and heard good things.

Rich
R-fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Ingraham
Steelhead

Thats what I was thinking as well as far as drift and anchor. Side question: I picked up a cheep Rapala spring scale the other week and was wondering what the best way to weigh a smallie is with doing the least amount of damage to the fish in order to get it back in the H2o as quick as possible?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

My digital has a hook large enough to go through the back of the gill plate (above the gills) and into the mouth. Doesn't harm fish at all.

If yours doesn't have a very big hook, make one & replace it and re-zero scale for increased hook weight.
(it may/may not have a zero adjust, but most have some sort of tension adj.)
Check the calibration by weighing a milk jug of water....1 gallon of water equals 8.33 lbs. 4qt = gal, 1 quart is 2.0825lbs, 2pts = qt, Pint = 1.04lbs
Should get you close.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited by Hunt'nFish; 09-13-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
WetBait
Steelhead

Some people will use a plastic grocery sack for weighing. I'm not sure this is the best way, but it's probably less harmful than a fish flipping around suspended by a hook in its gill plate. I tend to bring my fish in fast so they're still a handfull on the boat maybe others don't have that problem.

I don't weigh anymore, just a quick measure if deemed necessiary. At least until I get an xTools scale in my box.
WetBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Ingraham
Steelhead

Thanks guys,
I will let you know how tomorrow goes and take plenty of pictures if there is any thing worth taking a picture of! If I tell you I caught monsters but have no pictures you can know I am full of crap!!!

Went out today in Canby and bank fished the Willamette but got skunked so my confidence is a bit low going out tomorrow but we'll fish hard and see how it goes!

- Peter