Anyone ever fall off their boat in the driveway? - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #61
Dan Feller
Steelhead

Default Re: Anyone ever fall off their boat in the driveway?

I finally got a look at my elbow while changing the bandage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F14FEE5B-6067-4E25-BFEE-64E2E33121E0.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	751135  

Dan Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #62
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

No landing with grace on this one, eh? Glad it wasn't worse for you!
StrawberryMTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #63
tt3886
Chromer

Side of the house saved my azz, from taking a nasty spill....
tt3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #64
Fishfeet
King Salmon

I don't need no stinkin' boat to do a face plant.
Just putting on my pj's with a buzz on, was good enuf for an ambulante ride.
My right shoulder still isn't right after several months.
PS. pj's had the buzz on. Not meself.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #65
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Add me to the list. Off the tongue at the ramp. Hit the tongue, cracked some ribs, landed in the river in November...which is not warm. Lucky I didn't crack my skull open and drown. Ex competitive swimmer drowns at boat ramp isn't what I want on my obituary. Added traction tape to the tongue and fenders after that.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:50 AM   #66
Kirkll
Steelhead

This whole thread cracked me up for some reason. But crawling in and out of a good sized boat on a trailer is certainly a clear and present danger that increases 10 fold as you get closer to retirement age.

I had a guy tell me he was still climbing mountains at my age a couple years ago. Well I’m thinking, Good for you mate, I’m feeling good if I can get my leg through my underwear without loosing my balance any more.... and I quit drinking years ago.

I remember the first time I saw these things.... https://www.pinterest.com/sheli10/boat-trailer-steps/

I thought what a waste of money..... but.....after purchasing a real boat where the bow of the boat is over 5’ off the ground on a trailer in the front, and not much lower at the stern, I have a new appreciation for these safety contraptions.

Another thing I’ve been seriously looking into is adding more “Oh Chit” handles at various locations in the boat. One more year and I can officially retire, and plan on spending a lot more time in my boat..... but getting in and out of these things, whether it be on the trailer , or even a dock, is not as easy as it used to be.

It’s Not really so bad for me yet. I’m still pretty agile for an old fart. But my wife on the other hand needs more steps and something to hang onto getting in and out of this thing safely, and she’s game fishing salmon in nasty weather. So I’m looking into all kinds of things to make it safe.

I always dreamed of having a boat with higher freeboard that you could actually stand up and walk around in without fear of going over board..... now that I got one, even stepping down into this thing from a dock requires a step stool of some kind. I’ve got 32” from the deck to the rail, and I still haven’t found a good system I like. I’ve been using a tool box that is made to stand on for this, and then moving it out of the way once we are aboard so we don’t loose our deck space for moving around fishing. But I’d like to have something less bulky I could store in the forward cabin when not in use.

Any ideas on this would be welcome. Kirk
Kirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #67
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkll View Post
This whole thread cracked me up for some reason. But crawling in and out of a good sized boat on a trailer is certainly a clear and present danger that increases 10 fold as you get closer to retirement age.

I had a guy tell me he was still climbing mountains at my age a couple years ago. Well I’m thinking, Good for you mate, I’m feeling good if I can get my leg through my underwear without loosing my balance any more.... and I quit drinking years ago.

I remember the first time I saw these things.... https://www.pinterest.com/sheli10/boat-trailer-steps/

I thought what a waste of money..... but.....after purchasing a real boat where the bow of the boat is over 5’ off the ground on a trailer in the front, and not much lower at the stern, I have a new appreciation for these safety contraptions.

Another thing I’ve been seriously looking into is adding more “Oh Chit” handles at various locations in the boat. One more year and I can officially retire, and plan on spending a lot more time in my boat..... but getting in and out of these things, whether it be on the trailer , or even a dock, is not as easy as it used to be.

It’s Not really so bad for me yet. I’m still pretty agile for an old fart. But my wife on the other hand needs more steps and something to hang onto getting in and out of this thing safely, and she’s game fishing salmon in nasty weather. So I’m looking into all kinds of things to make it safe.

I always dreamed of having a boat with higher freeboard that you could actually stand up and walk around in without fear of going over board..... now that I got one, even stepping down into this thing from a dock requires a step stool of some kind. I’ve got 32” from the deck to the rail, and I still haven’t found a good system I like. I’ve been using a tool box that is made to stand on for this, and then moving it out of the way once we are aboard so we don’t loose our deck space for moving around fishing. But I’d like to have something less bulky I could store in the forward cabin when not in use.

Would something like this work? Add a bracket the would allow you to hook it over the gunnel with a pole for a handle?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by gettin' fishy; 08-07-2020 at 07:10 AM.
gettin' fishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #68
4 REEL
Ifish Nate

I keep a 6' ladder handy just for this.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #69
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
I don't need no stinkin' boat to do a face plant.
Just putting on my pj's with a buzz on, was good enuf for an ambulante ride.
My right shoulder still isn't right after several months.
PS. pj's had the buzz on. Not meself.
Sometimes you don't even need to be IN the boat to do a face plant.

I had just finished a float in my drift boat. Was finishing tying things down and decided to pass between the truck and boat. Just have to step OVER the tongue. Of course I tripped and ate gravel. Bad thing was, I was still recovering from a knee surgery........... Minor set back............

Last edited by KalamaGeo; 08-07-2020 at 12:49 PM.
KalamaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #70
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaGeo View Post
Sometimes you don't even need to be IN the boat to do a face plant.

I had just finished a float in my drift boat. Was finishing tying things down and decided to pass between the truck and boat. Just have to step OVER the tongue. Of course I tripped and ate gravel. Bad thing was, I was still recovering from a knee surgery........... Minor set back............
Owwy bunga!
Glad you didn't land on your bum knee.
That's using your head.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #71
honker1
Tuna!

Quote:

This was originally posted by Diamondlake Charlie, but I also added this feature to my boat. Helps the wife to get in and out of the boat. Makes this adventure safer. Then can be stowed away.

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=977394
honker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #72
bugs84
Tuna!

A co worker of mine DIED falling off his boat. Broke his neck. BE CAREFUL PLEASE!!!
bugs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #73
Kirkll
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker1 View Post
This was originally posted by Diamondlake Charlie, but I also added this feature to my boat. Helps the wife to get in and out of the boat. Makes this adventure safer. Then can be stowed away.

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=977394
Thanks a bunch mate! Those steps are a perfect solution to my boat egress situation. I like being able to use them on either port or starboard rials, and think a simple vertical rod through the rail that can be removed and capped will suffice for a hand hold. We typically keep the top up year round on this boat anyway and can use that on one side and a 1.5” aluminum rod on the other. Perfect solution.

I found some just like yours on amazon.

I told my wife that we need to get something going here or I’ll have to use the crab pot puller to winch her in and out of the boat. That didn’t go over well...lol
Old 08-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #74
dog501
Ifish Nate

I fell off my finder while climbing in my boat messed up my shoulder good for a long time. It really hurts when you are 81 years old'
dog501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #75
Ben Hur
Tuna!

Get your local boat ramp to install a hoyer lift for all you geezers and soon to be geezers. Never, ever get into or out of a boat over hard ground, gravel or cement period. Use tool to reach into the boat from solid stable ground. The crab davit idea works only it you have another one anchored to the doc. Safety handholds all around your boat, steps and especially ladders around slick surfaces while having stiff knees sound like more of a death wish than a helpful option. I can see myself tripping upside down or banging into the floor and sides, tongue, fenders point of my boat and lots of other places based on most all of these suggestions. Just don't do it, please stay on flat shore areas only with stable surfaces to walk and cast from.

Last edited by Ben Hur; 08-08-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #76
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:

A boat I was on had a “step” that was easy to use and was sturdy plus it was easy to store. The boat was a 26 ft Boulton. Don’t know if the step was installed at the factory or. was an add-on. The step was hinged with the hinge attached to the side of the boat. The step folded up and was secured to the side of the boat. I don’t recall if the step had a support that folded down that held it parallel to the deck or if there was a cable attached to the gunnel that held it up or if there was another type of support. Might be worth going to a Boulton dealer and look at it.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #77
Kirkll
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
Get your local boat ramp to install a hoyer lift for all you geezers and soon to be geezers. Never, ever get into or out of a boat over hard ground, gravel or cement period. Use tool to reach into the boat from solid stable ground. The crab davit idea works only it you have another one anchored to the doc. Safety handholds all around your boat, steps and especially ladders around slick surfaces while having stiff knees sound like more of a death wish than a helpful option. I can see myself tripping upside down or banging into the floor and sides, tongue, fenders point of my boat and lots of other places based on most all of these suggestions. Just don't do it, please stay on flat shore areas only with stable surfaces to walk and cast from.
Your day will come too sonny...... Just because your body gets older, and doesn't cooperate the way it used to, it has no effect on your love of boats and fishing.... Stay on flat shore areas my arse....

I've been married to the same woman for 38 years now, and she loves fishing as much as i do. I don't know too many guys that have a wife that will set in the pouring rain and fish salmon all day that's over 60. Actually i don't know too many guys that have a young wife that will do that either.

With that being said, i think i'm a pretty lucky guy, and will do everything i can to make the boat safe and keep my life long fishing partner on the boat.
She catches fish too!
Old 08-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #78
backley
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Feller View Post
I probably shouldn’t post this, but the muscle relaxer is making me not care...

I was washing the boat in the driveway today after a Newport crabbing trip (25 keepers, so life is good). While reaching around to get the motor I slipped off the swim platform. I blame the soapy water and Crocs, but the truth is I was never very graceful and am less so at 48 years old.

The four foot drop into gravel onto my left side left me with a bloody elbow, a messed up shoulder, very sore ribs, and a jammed big toe. I managed to haul myself into the house for some first aid from the wife and I don’t think I broke anything, although there are a couple ribs that may be cracked. I am just glad to not be in the hospital right now!

Anyone else done anything similar?
A lucky omen for you to be careful. It was bad but you probably got away clean with no broken bones. I am sure you have learned a valuable lesson.
backley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #79
Rubber Robin

I chuckled good at the thread title. Good topic!

I haven't fallen off my boat yet but I have had several close calls. Banged my shins and knees a couple of times. Of course, everybody has to hit their head on the bow anchor at least once.

I too usually have a death grip on the rails when getting in and out of the boat.
Rubber Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #80
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Quote:
I told my wife that we need to get something going here or I’ll have to use the crab pot puller to winch her in and out of the boat. That didn’t go over well...lol
No way!

Heck, I managed to flip out the back of my truck bed on my last camping trip, not even any boat involved (actually there was a kayak but I'd already unloaded it off to the side so I didn't land on it). I was getting into my sleeping bag for the night and tried to lift my feet up to pivot around on my butt to face the other way, but was on a bit of a slope so once my feet got above me it was already too late to keep from rocking backwards and I couldn't get a hand/arm free from the bag in time to grab anything to keep from flopping over the edge of the tailgate; only got it extended to help break the fall so I rolled onto my shoulder/hip as I twisted over instead of a straight face plant when I hit the dirt. I'm sure it woulda been comically spectacular to witness except fortunately for my pride it happened in the dark.
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #81
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

I finally put my foot down and told my 92yr old fishing partner to quit climbing in the boat after I back it onto the RV pad. He would usually be in the boat ready to unload stuff before I could get out of the truck.
FishinTechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #82
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

I have a permanent folding ladder with handle mounted to the offshore bracket. I think they call that a swim step? About four steps up and then swing over the gunnel. Easy peasy.
StrawberryMTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #83
jordanb38
Tuna!

The short answer is yes, yes I have done that.
jordanb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #84
MattPark
King Salmon

I stepped onto a 4x4 tire chock once, that was pretty bad. Instant tennis ball sized swelling.

Not quite as bad as this one, though. We had just finished our new house and the driveway wasn't paved yet. he truck and boat were parked next to the house, I stepped off the fender and into a hole. It felt like my foot was ripped off, lit on fire, and then reattached. My neighbor 300 yards away heard me and came over to see what the hell was going on, and then to help me into the house. I would have been better off breaking it.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #85
honker1
Tuna!

This works for me to help people in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030432.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	751725  
Old 08-12-2020, 04:48 AM   #86
Kirkll
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker1 View Post
This works for me to help people in the boat.
Yup..... those are the same steps I just ordered. Is that your anchor light you use as a grab bar?

I found a nice heavy gage 1.5” aluminum pole in my collection of odds and ends in the shop that I polished up. Now I need to decide whether I’m going to bore a hole in the rail for it, or use a surface mount brackets.

Kirk
Old 08-12-2020, 06:07 AM   #87
honker1
Tuna!

[QUOTE=Kirkll;16440977]Yup..... those are the same steps I just ordered. Is that your anchor light you use as a grab bar?

I found a nice heavy gage 1.5” aluminum pole in my collection of odds and ends in the shop that I polished up. Now I need to decide whether I’m going to bore a hole in the rail for it, or use a surface mount brackets.

Kirk[/QUOTE

: boat steps Here is how my boat steps came out. I have mounting brackets both sides of the boat, because I never can tell which dock is going to be available. The pole is a galv. 1/2" EMT electrical conduit with a 4' length of rebar steel caulked inside with polyurethane caulking. The conduit goes thought a Fish-on pole holder mount and into a flange with a 1/2" EMT male adapter. And to protect the wife's delicate hands, I put rubber foam pipe insulation over the conduit.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-13-2020, 06:20 AM   #88
Kirkll
Steelhead

[quote=honker1;16441011]
Quote:
Yup..... those are the same steps I just ordered. Is that your anchor light you use as a grab bar?

Kirk[/QUOTE

: boat steps Here is how my boat steps came out. I have mounting brackets both sides of the boat, because I never can tell which dock is going to be available. The pole is a galv. 1/2" EMT electrical conduit with a 4' length of rebar steel caulked inside with polyurethane caulking. The conduit goes thought a Fish-on pole holder mount and into a flange with a 1/2" EMT male adapter. And to protect the wife's delicate hands, I put rubber foam pipe insulation over the conduit.
Attached Thumbnails
That looks like it will work just fine my friend. Question for you.... Did you find your steps in just a 2 step configuration? Or did you have to adapt it, or cut one step off. The stairs I ordered are exactly like yours, but have 3 steps instead of two. But..... I may need 3 steps as my rail height is 32”. What is your rail height there from the deck? It looks to be only about 24”.

Thanks, Kirk
Old 08-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #89
cchinook45
Chromer

I smashed my head into the prop , do not ask me how !
cchinook45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #90
theoracle
Cutthroat

I have done this not once, but twice....
theoracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #91
snit
Tuna!

Oh the honesty, I really appreciate! And to Hawgboss, that was a silver lining finding the Big C and getting it treated...CHEERS!!!

As I approach the "mid-century" mark with my next B-day, I'm the first to admit f-ing up onWAY more than my share of occasions! I can't exactly recall falling out of my boat, but within the last couple of years, I have lost all the "touch" that I ever had. I've turned into my dad (so to speak) and I now consider myself an "old-man" which up until last year I still thought of myself as "around 30 years old" lol! If it can be "broken", I'll break it. I'll fall down just walking by things that could trip me, I run into things that I tell myself to watch out for yet I still hit them with my extrmemties (bow mount oversize skeg is the newest blood-letter!!!).

Geo's example of stepping over the trailer hitch was spot on!! (telling myself as I approach the obstacle, "big step kiddo" first legover, 2nd leg...oh dam..shoe string hung up on the actual trailer hitch..hop,hop, maybe land it, 50/50%??skinned knee/twisted ankle??) look around real fast to see who just saw that CF happen?? Did I mention the newest "blood-letter" already, bowmount extended skeg, LOL. I've taken a file to all the sides of it, then a scotch brite pad, and finally 4/0 steel wool so it's not "sharp" anymore, but if you walk into it it'll still draw blood. Just entering/departing off the bow of my Seahawk can still be an obstacle course, as there's the bowmount (with oversize"BL"), plus 2 staggered anchor chocks on each side. Throw flips in the mix and somethings bound to fail! Lost a flip flop the other day, luckily it floated up, plus the dock I landed on had composite decking, so no slivers in the knees!

Last edited by snit; 08-15-2020 at 05:53 AM.
snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:03 AM   #92
Idatuna
Steelhead

Wish my boat was as tall in the ocean as it is in the driveway.
Idatuna is offline   Reply With Quote