The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Pete
Administrator

Default ODFW News: Spring chinook changes for Rogue River

For Immediate Release Friday, June 2, 2006

Spring chinook changes announced for Rogue River

ROSEBURG - State fishery officials today announced that retention of wild spring chinook salmon will close June 5 on the Rogue River to protect fish stocks. Anglers still will be allowed to retain adipose fin-clipped chinook.

In addition, the fishing season for spring chinook between Gold Ray Dam and Rogue Elk County Park will close June 30.

The decision was made in light of a second year of low spring chinook returns. As of May 31, the count at Gold Ray Dam totaled 3,245 spring chinook salmon, 22 percent of the 10-year average return of 14,680 fish by the end of May.

"We considered the possibility that the run is late, but looking at water temperatures this spring and reports from the fishery throughout the river, there does not appear to be any evidence of a delayed fish migration," said District Fish Biologist Dan VanDyke. "In the face of this year's dismal returns, ODFW must take this step to protect wild
spring chinook stocks on the Rogue River."

VanDyke said the season changes will maximize spawning escapement for wild spring chinook, while providing as much angling access as possible for hatchery spring chinook and the healthier fall chinook run expected later this year.

The following changes are designed to protect the migration of spring chinook salmon as they travel up the Rogue River and reopen for the harvest of healthy fall chinook.

Specific changes to existing chinook regulations include the following:
* Tidewater upstream to Whiskey Creek Boat Landing: June 5 - July 14, anglers may retain only adipose fin-clipped chinook.
* Whiskey Creek upstream to Hog Creek Boat Landing: June 5 - July 31, anglers may retain only adipose fin-clipped chinook.
* Hog Creek upstream to Gold Ray Dam: June 5-Aug. 14, anglers may retain only adipose fin-clipped chinook.
* Gold Ray Dam to the Rogue Elk Boat Ramp: June 5 - June 30, anglers may retain only adipose fin-clipped chinook. July 1 through Oct. 1, closed to chinook angling.
* Rogue Elk Boat Ramp to Cole Rivers Hatchery Dam: June 5 - July 31, anglers may retain only adipose fin-clipped chinook.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
Pete
Administrator

Default Re: ODFW News: Spring chinook changes for Rogue Ri

Please note the changes!
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
McBaine
Chromer

Bump
McBaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Wintu
Ifish Nate

Let's hope the springer run suddenly arrives.
If the fall run arrives early in the bay (sometimes fishing is good by early July), you won't be able to keep anything until July 15 because the fall run is all wild fish.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
eat, sleep, fish
Tuna!

We also can't keep any early fall fish in the middle river. It doesn't open up tell the 15th of August. If i remember correctly I got my first one last year around the 13th. I guess we'll just have to do some scouting trips to see when the fish get in.