The Crappie are coming - The crappie are coming! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

Default The Crappie are coming - The crappie are coming!

you all know about the 800 crappie a day I land each year in 2nd half of October at "Silver Cove Resort!" or better know as Streeters canal.

Make your plans for this epic fishing coming soon! $20 per car of fisherman to fish from shore for LOTS of crappie, perch & Blue Gill.

The best time to fish in 3rd and 4th week of Oct.
I normally end up with 1 out of ten crappie over 9 inches (9 inch limit size)!

Some have landed 1000 fish a day from this area.

ExBassGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
redfish89
Ifish Nate

Default Re: The Crappie are coming - The crappie are coming!

Thanks! What is your favorite bait to use in this area?
redfish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

What I use is VERY productive, Trout magnets in Orange & white body and a pink trout magnet jig hook. I use a two jig rig under a small weighted bobber (fish pull it under easily and catch rate is thru the roof). The other color I used the most is chartreuse/ black.
I use the chartreuse 16inches below the bobber and the Orange and white at 21 inches. The black has a good silhouette higher in the water Colum and bright colors show up better a bit deeper because most fish are around 18 inches below the surface. So when the fish are below the black helps them see the bait more than other colors. And bright colors show up better when below the fish.
I try a few presentations that are very productive at times. Twitch pause...
A S L O W reel in the bobber. or a drag and pause.
Trout magnets can be picked up at "Crappie Magnets on line". The jigs are 1/64oz. White trout magnets are also very good.

As for location of the best concentrations of fish: The "T" intersection of the dead end canal right behind the check in office is one of the best places! the best place for quantity of fish every year is in the dead end not far from the road. and I have done well at the opening to the of the bay with the boat ramp everyone launches at "Silver Cove Resort".
Perch are near the bottom. So if you are catching perch and you are after crappie you are fishing too deep. The Blue Gill are in the pads and near the shore line. As you see a boat go by look for pads to make a small shake. that is from fish being spooked and running into the lily pad stems. That is the area! there is a Limit on crappie of 10 per day and no limit on perch or Blue Gill.

Remember to keep moving till you are catching more fish that other people around you or about the same, but still keep looing for an even better spot. Late in the month the crappie will FILL the canals around the resort and you can catch them near and far from shore. Earlier in the month the fish hang a little closer to the bank or pads.
Roger The Silver lake ExBassGuide

Last edited by ExBassGuide; 09-29-2020 at 09:29 PM.
ExBassGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
redfish89
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to take my boys out in the next couple of weeks. I'll post my results.
redfish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
wdlfbio
Tuna!

Might make a run down In a couple of weeks if I can get a campsite. Been wanting to come play for a while.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
OregonSteel
Ifish Nate

So how does it work there? Do you need a campsite or lodging to fish? Is there parking near where you can fish? I'm assuming you need a fishing license, or is the canal privately owned waters? Thanks!
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonSteel View Post
So how does it work there? Do you need a campsite or lodging to fish? Is there parking near where you can fish? I'm assuming you need a fishing license, or is the canal privately owned waters? Thanks!
There is a per car fee at Silver Cover Resort, you do not have to camp there and there is plenty of parking. You do need a fishing license. Can be combat fishing on a nice Fall day. Stop at the store/ office to get your parking pass.

PDXTL
PDX Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
duckslayer
Ifish Nate

Was there this evening with 3 buddies. Was very slow! Think I caught a dozen or so crappie, 2 keeper size, buddies did a little worse. It was raining off and on and that tends to slow the bite there, but there didn't appear to be many fish in the canals just yet.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
hm1ing
Steelhead

I was there and limited in 1.5 hours w/ a 12 " white and a 11" black crappies. Went back 2 days later...8 hrs and only had 7 keepers.

That said: Fish & Wildlife has been netting crappie in both canals to transplant 6700 crappie into another lake in WA. If you see net floats at the mouth of the canals, you will know they are still netting. A buddy toot his 2 boys yesterday and they had 3 limits in 2 hours.

It's all about being there when they are biting, presenting the right morsal and enjoying the fact it is still better than the past 2 years.
hm1ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
Snopro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm1ing View Post
That said: Fish & Wildlife has been netting crappie in both canals to transplant 6700 crappie into another lake in WA.
Do you know which lake they are going into?
Snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #11
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Late report from Sunday, 10/18/2020. Got to Silver Cove about Noon & was fishing about 15 minutes later. Started at the T of the canal behind the office with double trout magnet rigs. Fished about 3 different places, including on the corner and ended up catching a couple Bluegill, a couple Crappie and a Perch, nothing with any size in an hour plus.

Decided to go try the canal behind the Event Center in the middle of the resort. Nothing for about 5 minutes then 4 fish in 4 casts, maybe one keeper. Missed on the next cast, then a 5th in 6 casts, but then it went dead. I was only about 100 feet from the end of the canal and decided to move down to where I could see some structure.

Ended up dialing it in to two white trout magnets and had very steady fishing for the next several hours. Ended up losing two rigs to the tree gods & tied on a chartreuse/ white top jig with all white below & caught 8 or 10 Bluegill in a row on the chartreuse/ white jig.

At one point after a lost rig, I decided to tie on a 1/32 oz crappie jig with a green/ white skirt & skip the bobber. Cast out, count to 3 to get the jig down and start working it back. My success rate was not quite as high as with a bobber, but the grade of fish was better and all of them were Crappie.

The Crappie were about 3' down on Sunday, for what it's worth & I did get one double, although the smaller upper fish came off before getting them in. I definitely caught more than a limit's worth of keepers, though I released all fish that day.

If you're looking for better size crappie and have some jigs to donate, with a little practice you can likely get a higher percentage of keepers if you learn to use the old school crappie jigs with a green/ white skirt tight lining with no bobber. Will drop about a foot per second, vary the depth until you find them. YMMV

PDXTL
PDX Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #12
BeavInWashington
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Tightlines View Post
Late report from Sunday, 10/18/2020. Got to Silver Cove about Noon & was fishing about 15 minutes later. Started at the T of the canal behind the office with double trout magnet rigs. Fished about 3 different places, including on the corner and ended up catching a couple Bluegill, a couple Crappie and a Perch, nothing with any size in an hour plus.

Decided to go try the canal behind the Event Center in the middle of the resort. Nothing for about 5 minutes then 4 fish in 4 casts, maybe one keeper. Missed on the next cast, then a 5th in 6 casts, but then it went dead. I was only about 100 feet from the end of the canal and decided to move down to where I could see some structure.

Ended up dialing it in to two white trout magnets and had very steady fishing for the next several hours. Ended up losing two rigs to the tree gods & tied on a chartreuse/ white top jig with all white below & caught 8 or 10 Bluegill in a row on the chartreuse/ white jig.

At one point after a lost rig, I decided to tie on a 1/32 oz crappie jig with a green/ white skirt & skip the bobber. Cast out, count to 3 to get the jig down and start working it back. My success rate was not quite as high as with a bobber, but the grade of fish was better and all of them were Crappie.

The Crappie were about 3' down on Sunday, for what it's worth & I did get one double, although the smaller upper fish came off before getting them in. I definitely caught more than a limit's worth of keepers, though I released all fish that day.

If you're looking for better size crappie and have some jigs to donate, with a little practice you can likely get a higher percentage of keepers if you learn to use the old school crappie jigs with a green/ white skirt tight lining with no bobber. Will drop about a foot per second, vary the depth until you find them. YMMV

PDXTL
Thanks for the excellent report. Hoping to get out there next week.
BeavInWashington is offline   Reply With Quote