TUNA! Bomb! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Freakwater
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Blow me
Posts: 4,061
Default TUNA! Bomb!

This is, hands down, the best TUNA! recipe I've come across yet. I will share in my traditional ridiculously over-detailed pictorial format.

First... The jus
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
Freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; season to taste with ground
white pepper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes.

Now, the Bomb!

Take a TUNA! loin and trim off the tips, leaving a uniform loin. Then trim off the edges to make a reasonably round loin.



Tear off a piece of plastic wrap about 18" long and lay it out on the counter. Then lay out slices of serrano or prosciutto ham (the razor thin stuff), overlapping them at least 1/2". You need enough to completely wrap the TUNA! loin. Don't over do it. Complete coverage is ideal without too much overlap.



Lay in the loin....



At this point, you may have attracted an audience.



Now use the plastic wrap to roll up the loin. With practice you'll nail it.



Fold the ham toward the loin ends and twist the plastic wrap.



Tuck the twisted ends under the loin and let set up in the fridge for an hour or two.



After the bomb has set up in the fridge, cut off the twisted ends then carefully remove the rest of the plastic wrap...



Conditions are perfect. Now..... It's Business Time!



Cook the Bomb on Med-Hi heat in light oil, rotating until cooked on all sides, including the ends.



The objective is to fully cook the ham, NOT the TUNA! Looks something like this... Aw yeah!



Now cut the bomb into 3/4" to 1" medallions...




Then drizzle with the jus...


KAPOW!

Even if you don't follow this recipe to a "T", try the jus on any tuna you make as marinade or sauce. It's INSANE!

Enjoy,
Crazy Eddy
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Han Solo
King Salmon
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New Vansterdam
Posts: 13,889
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

I got to get me one of those. Sure looks good.
Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
BugSquasher
Tuna!
 
BugSquasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Posts: 1,664
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Have you tried this with any other meat besides ham?

Got a person in the house who will eat fish and bird meat, no red animal meat or pig ... and was wondering if you pounded out some chicken breasts, flattened them, might this substitute for the ham work?


Last edited by BugSquasher; 12-10-2007 at 01:11 PM.
BugSquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Freakwater
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Blow me
Posts: 4,061
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Only tried two types of ham. Try it with no wrap but first soak in the marinade. Save some of the marinade and use it as sauce when serving. Might be interesting with chicken if you could pound it thin enough???

Freakwater

<edit> The girlfriend says there is something called turkey bacon???
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Fshklr
Tuna
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 8,867
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Now that's a recipe!!!!!



Thanks John for the post and the pictorial!!! We will try it this weekend!!!
__________________
Oregon Yellowtail 2010

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Rabid Fisherman
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hermiston OR
Posts: 124
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshklr View Post
Now that's a recipe!!!!!



Thanks John for the post and the pictorial!!! We will try it this weekend!!!
Ditto that. I'm going to do that one for sure
__________________
I Fish...I Hunt....I Provide
Rabid Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
Billfisher
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eugene
Posts: 1,391
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakwater View Post
Only tried two types of ham. Try it with no wrap but first soak in the marinade. Save some of the marinade and use it as sauce when serving. Might be interesting with chicken if you could pound it thin enough???

Freakwater

<edit> The girlfriend says there is something called turkey bacon???
That's fuuny! I was about to recommend Turkey Bacon, and hadn't seen this in your post! Anyway, I second the turkey bacon thing. It is the next best thing to the other white meat!

-D
__________________
Doug

Team Play The Hook
Billfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
TubeFly
Steelhead
 
TubeFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 490
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Okay thats it............

I was just telling my wife I thouhgt I should get a loin out of the freezer then this thread..........

killin me
TubeFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Quiet Riot
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia County
Posts: 6,160
Default

I can't believe I've waited this long to do this! I made these along with some ABT's for the main part of yesterday's spread, it was outstanding!


Thanks so much for the recipe Freakwater!

BTW I found a couple leftover slices in the fridge today (i thought they were all gone last night but i had a few brews in me so musta missed the last ones) and just put them in a hoagie roll with mayo cheese cabbage and tomato, best tuna sandwich ever.
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
duckslayer
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 2,065
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

OMG, just made it for dinner! That was AWESOME! My wife loved it so much she told me I need to go tuna fishing more Thank You!
duckslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Quiet Riot
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia County
Posts: 6,160
Default

Made it tonight once again, only I didn't have a couple of the ingredients. I substituted jalapeños for the peppers and didn't have the cilantro so I just added some garlic. It was very good but I think the cilantro and Serrano pepper were better in the original recipe. Still great eats.

Oh yea, no proscuttio so I wrapped in bacon. That worked well, I just cooked it with the tuna still a little semi frozen in the center so it wouldn't overcook to get the bacon crispy, that part worked out well.
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
aloha2u
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Salem
Posts: 392
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

aloha2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Oregonhunter5
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,250
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Holy nuts, that looks damn good.
Oregonhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
RoughRider
Chromer
 
RoughRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lake Oswego
Posts: 666
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Linked to this thread from another post, and to be honest this looks like something Gordon Ramsey would yell at you for on one of his shows. In other words, it doesn't look great.

What does it taste like anyway? I'm still open to trying it (you're talking to a guy that eats sea urchin gonads).
RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
crackshothillbilly
Steelhead
 
crackshothillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver Wa
Posts: 221
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakwater View Post
This is, hands down, the best TUNA! recipe I've come across yet. I will share in my traditional ridiculously over-detailed pictorial format.

First... The jus
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
Freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; season to taste with ground
white pepper. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 45 minutes.

Now, the Bomb!

Take a TUNA! loin and trim off the tips, leaving a uniform loin. Then trim off the edges to make a reasonably round loin.



Tear off a piece of plastic wrap about 18" long and lay it out on the counter. Then lay out slices of serrano or prosciutto ham (the razor thin stuff), overlapping them at least 1/2". You need enough to completely wrap the TUNA! loin. Don't over do it. Complete coverage is ideal without too much overlap.



Lay in the loin....



At this point, you may have attracted an audience.



Now use the plastic wrap to roll up the loin. With practice you'll nail it.



Fold the ham toward the loin ends and twist the plastic wrap.



Tuck the twisted ends under the loin and let set up in the fridge for an hour or two.



After the bomb has set up in the fridge, cut off the twisted ends then carefully remove the rest of the plastic wrap...



Conditions are perfect. Now..... It's Business Time!



Cook the Bomb on Med-Hi heat in light oil, rotating until cooked on all sides, including the ends.



The objective is to fully cook the ham, NOT the TUNA! Looks something like this... Aw yeah!



Now cut the bomb into 3/4" to 1" medallions...




Then drizzle with the jus...


KAPOW!

Even if you don't follow this recipe to a "T", try the jus on any tuna you make as marinade or sauce. It's INSANE!

Enjoy,
Crazy Eddy
crackshothillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
crackshothillbilly
Steelhead
 
crackshothillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver Wa
Posts: 221
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Looks Good ! can't wait to give it a shot !

Thanks !
crackshothillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #17
seekanddestroy
Tuna!
 
seekanddestroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Cool
seekanddestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #18
BigKodiak
Fry
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

That looks so good!
BigKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #19
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 15,757
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Wish the photos hadn't gone away ...
__________________
The language of God is science.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #20
StuartHunts
Fry
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 14
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Wish the photos hadn't gone away ...
Agreed!!
StuartHunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
Gern Blanston
Steelhead
 
Gern Blanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 296
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Where'd the pix go?

I've made this many times. Frankly, it's all about the jus. You lika-da-jus?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...s/n10418?snl=1
__________________
"...feels so natural in hand when it's time for that critical netshot."

Learn with Gern
Gern Blanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #22
FrogPond
Sturgeon
 
FrogPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Albany
Posts: 4,169
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Turns out the jus is fantastic on fresh coho too...
__________________
Josh
#1940

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #23
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate
 
IIonPilgrimg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 2,119
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Are you kidding me?!

I made the juos and added it after these photos.

Oh my word! (Picture yours here!) Still munching as I type.

My mods: cucumber in the jous, buttered spinach w/ vinegar on the side, and I blended the jous in a spice grinder. I didn't have any peanut oil... So, Adams creamy w/ soy and a pinch of olive oil!

Don't forget the peanut flavor! This is over the top. Oh, my word! (Pick yours)

Use Prosciutto ham and make the pan Hot!

The crispy, bitter, sweet, salty, savory combo will knock your socks off!

It is September and Seps/Porcini mushroom or seaweed may be missing. Isn't that the fifth flavor they call Umami?

You may need a sou chef to time it right. But I nailed it all by myself!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0077[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	730481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0079[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	730483  
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #24
Quiet Riot
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia County
Posts: 6,160
Default Re: TUNA! Bomb!

Ok, I finally found a tweak that was killer! Everytime I've made this, which is a lot, the original recipe was better than any substitutes I've done like different peppers if I was out if serranos etc. I used lime zest since I didn't have cilantro. 4 of us just ate an entire tuna.. I do always swap 1 tablespoon of vinegar for 1 extra soy and add garlic salt to the sauce. I also just roll the loins in garlic and sesame seeds instead of the trouble of wrapping with prosciutto.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.90074 seconds with 39 queries