A little advice requested. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Open Seats!

Old 09-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
plumbertom
Steelhead

Default A little advice requested.

I don't want to be rude.
I've never used this thread other than to make inquiry.
But I don't get the replies I need.
I'm on a very limited budget and have tried to gather what the share of costs might be to ask for an open seat.
I don't want to sound too much like a freeloader so before I accept a ride I have to know how much money I should have.
Having owned a 24' Wellcraft Sportfisher when living in LA, I know well how expensive they can be to operate.
When I ran my boat out of SOCal I never concerned myself with shared costs as I was going anyway and at the time I was working as a master plumber And had no fixed expenses other than my rent and insurance, so cost of a day on the big water wasn't really much of a concern.
I'd really like to ask about a trip to fish lings and rockfish from the central coast anywhere from Coos bay to Newport. I do fish inside the bays regularly from my small boat (16' aluminum jon boat)but it's just not suited for outside those protected waters.Antone who could clue me as to what would be the proper etiquette for making a request and/or accepting an offer would be doing me a solid.

plumbertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: A little advice requested.

Depends on the the situation.

If the day starts at the boat owners house and the boat must be towed to the launch, expenses (gas) starts at the house. Who is supplying the bait, tackle, ice and other expenses?

I generally have my boat moored for B-10. I do not expect anyone to pay toward that moorage or any other expense generally encountered with boat ownership. I typically have folks on board who are self sufficient, bait, tackle, whatever. If someone wants me to supply bait, I will thaw and brine extra beyond what I want for myself. They need to pay for “all” the extra even if they use a single herring. Don’t get on a boat expecting bait to be available for your use if you didn’t set this up ahead of time. Boat captains don’t like surprises.

Depending on how many passengers there are, a reasonable donations could be as little as $5. Again, depending on how many passengers, $20 could be way too much or not nearly enough. It also depends on if I was going to be out there anyhow which I usually am. I pick up half, passengers pick up half is reasonable. If I hadn’t planned on fishing that day, passengers should pick up 100%. This is all arbitrary since contributions are voluntary and not compulsory. Lots of days I don’t want a single dime. Never ask the boat captain how much money they want. It is illegal for them to give you a price if they aren’t a guide or charter service. Best advice, don’t be a titewad.

Honestly, I would like it if contributions were in an envelope so I can’t see how much it is. It’s not fair to the other passengers to see what your contribution is either. People handing me money makes me nervous, I don’t like it.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
plumbertom
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Depends on the the situation.

If the day starts at the boat owners house and the boat must be towed to the launch, expenses (gas) starts at the house. Who is supplying the bait, tackle, ice and other expenses?

I generally have my boat moored for B-10. I do not expect anyone to pay toward that moorage or any other expense generally encountered with boat ownership. I typically have folks on board who are self sufficient, bait, tackle, whatever. If someone wants me to supply bait, I will thaw and brine extra beyond what I want for myself. They need to pay for “all” the extra even if they use a single herring. Don’t get on a boat expecting bait to be available for your use is you didn’t set this up ahead of time. Boat captains don’t like surprises.

Depending on how many passengers there are, a reasonable donations could be as little as $5. Again, depending on how many passengers, $20 could be way too much or not nearly enough. It also depends on if I was going to be out there anyhow which I usually am. I pick up half, passengers pick up half is reasonable. If I hadn’t planned on fishing that day, passengers should pick up 100%. This is all arbitrary since contributions are voluntary and not compulsory. Lots of days I don’t want a single dime. Never ask the boat captain how much money they want. It is illegal for them to give you a price if they aren’t a guide or charter service. Best advice, don’t be a titewad.

Honestly, I would like it if contributions were in an envelope so I can’t see how much it is. It’s not fair to the other passengers to see what your contribution is either. People handing me money makes me nervous, I don’t like it.
Thanks for the reply DogZilla15.
This gives me some idea of how I should go about things.
I know when I ran my sportfisher, a day trip to fish around Catalina Island Would normally cost between $200 and $300 for launch, fuel, and bait.
Adding in the fuel for my tow vehicle would push the high end over that.
I usually would provide gear and tackle for those that simply were not equipped for fishing the salt.
I would take what ever I was offered but didn't expect anything unless I was asked to make a trip for someone that was unplanned. Then I would give a expected "donation" amount depending on what and where they wished to fish.
Even the bay crabbing trips I make now in my little jon boat run an average of $70 a day, which I split with my fishing partner, just to putter around inside the bays, so I know I can't or at least shouldn't expect to simply deadhead. Especially now that I'm nearly unable to contribute meaningfully as crew. I get around okay, and can do many things but I tire easily and doing things like hauling anchor rode is just too much for me.
I would like to get out on the big water again before my stay on this rock is over.
Seems as though I have a bit of salt water in my veins still.

Last edited by plumbertom; 09-02-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Brine Shrimp
Chromer

Just really depends on the person, situation and the boat. My expense is $30 in gas to tow over and back, and I get 5-7 mpg so around $20 in boat gas should cover a day of bottom fishing. I never factor bait tackle and ice in for a bottom fish trip. I really don't care if someone pays me or not. I've accepted $0-$40. But I also only fish with friends.

Some guys want you to pay a share of their insurance, oil changes, tackle, make and bring a special lunch for the captain, and on and on.

Say you go out on a 26' fiberglass I/O with just 2 POB. Maybe that is $60 in tow gas, 1mpg on the water so $80 in boat fuel, so $75-$80 could be reasonable.

I don't agree with DZ, you can ask what your share of expenses might be ahead of time and decide if you can afford to go.

Or, you could show up with $100 cash and ask what they'd like for gas at the end of the day. I think most people will be fair in this situation. If they want all $100, well, hopefully you've got 10+ lbs of fillets that are worth more than that and you've learned not to go with that guy again.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Rseas
Cutthroat

Where are you located? I am located north of Seattle and would take you out for free, no donations accepted. We are just coming up on coho season and should enjoy solid fishing for the next month or so.

My trucks currently in the shop but as soon as it is back in our driveway I'm good to go.
Rseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Finsalong
Tuna!

If the boat owners would chime in what is a normal day on the water costing them.

I would guesstimate it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 to 400 daily with or without passengers.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
Blue fin
Chromer

Simply ask the person you are accepting a fishing trip with up front. That shouldn't offend anyone. I've fished with guys in half moon bay that simply said $50 and others who would figure it out at the end of the day and some that were offended when I got my wallet out...
Communication is good...
Blue fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
RB Drifter
Ifish Nate

Driving over from the metro area to the coast is roughly $40.00 and running the boat is roughly another $40.00. Drift boat you replace boat gas with $35.00 in shuttle fees. This does not include bait. I rarely charge anything other than if a shuttle is needed, granted might take a donation now that I made a career change and make 50% of what I did 1.5 years ago.
RB Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Brine Shrimp: I think it’s fair to ask what it costs to run a boat for a day. A person’s share is based on number of passengers and unless that is known in advance, there’s no way to determine an individual share till the boat leaves the dock.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
plumbertom
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rseas View Post
Where are you located? I am located north of Seattle and would take you out for free, no donations accepted. We are just coming up on coho season and should enjoy solid fishing for the next month or so.

My trucks currently in the shop but as soon as it is back in our driveway I'm good to go.
This is a generous offer and I appreciate it.
However, Seattle is a bit beyond my range.
I'm actually in Eugene, OR.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
no excuses
Tuna!

just ask up front what your share should be that way no surprises.
no excuses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
chuck combs
Steelhead

What I've always told any one who go's out with me is split boat gas.my boat has flow meter so it's not that hard to know how much.
chuck combs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
flatman
King Salmon

i am going anyway so i dont ask for any money and dont want any. i feel if i let you in my boat you are a guest. just like if i invited you over for dinner.
to each his own though.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
Danny Mailey
Fry

For me, if I meet them at the dock, I appreciate people helping with the price of the gas for the boat. I always go out with a full tank, then when I fill up upon return, I look for half of that cost. For my boat, a day out on the ocean my boat usually burns between, 8 and 11 gallons, depending on how much running I do. So at $4.50 a gallon for Non-Ethanol gas, you can figure about $20-$24...Bait costs around $8.00 a dozen for herring....I like to use herring for most of my fishing, so I buy a minimum of 1 doz per person on board. So half the bait cost is fair .

...So added up, it would cost you about $30-$40. So, that's assuming you are meeting the owner at the dock. Since you live in Eugene, that is most likely your case. Then for bottom fishing, I have mine filleted at the dock, as I'm not good at doing bottom fish. Hope that helps.
Danny Mailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #15
JettyJunkie
Fry

I could save you on the cost of filleting. I was a commercial fisherman in Alaska for 7 years and do a pretty good job lol. I average about a 48-49 percent recovery on bottomfish I could hit 52 but it would be a slower fillet time. I would pay other expenses too of course.
JettyJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #16
boatman
Tuna!

A quick answer for me is $40.00. if 1 or 4.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
plumbertom
Steelhead

Thanks all for cluing me in.
Pretty much seems like 1/2 fuel and bait and maybe launch fee would be reasonable to share.
As far as those who offer a seat as Guest passage, That's great of you to do so.
I'm of the opinion that even if I am sharing the cost of a trip I am still a guest onboard and should offer as much assistance as I am able, and would still fell better to help defray the cost of a trip if for no other reason than doing so might allow you to make one more trip on the water.
I know with my little boat just puttering around in the bays I am limited to (usually) two trips a month and if I wasn't sharing the expense it would be only once a month. and much less enjoyable, it's always more fun to have someone around to shoot the bull and share fishing lies with.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #18
Meanwhile
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine Shrimp View Post
Just really depends on the person, situation and the boat. My expense is $30 in gas to tow over and back, and I get 5-7 mpg so around $20 in boat gas should cover a day of bottom fishing. I never factor bait tackle and ice in for a bottom fish trip. I really don't care if someone pays me or not. I've accepted $0-$40. But I also only fish with friends.

Some guys want you to pay a share of their insurance, oil changes, tackle, make and bring a special lunch for the captain, and on and on.

Say you go out on a 26' fiberglass I/O with just 2 POB. Maybe that is $60 in tow gas, 1mpg on the water so $80 in boat fuel, so $75-$80 could be reasonable.

I don't agree with DZ, you can ask what your share of expenses might be ahead of time and decide if you can afford to go.

Or, you could show up with $100 cash and ask what they'd like for gas at the end of the day. I think most people will be fair in this situation. If they want all $100, well, hopefully you've got 10+ lbs of fillets that are worth more than that and you've learned not to go with that guy again.
Adding in anything like the cost of towing, etc, makes an illegal charter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Plumber: All ya gotta do is remember you’re not on a guide boat. It’s everyone’s job to contribute and make sure everyone has a good time. It doesn’t take much.

Some rules do apply.

Never try to net someone’s fish if you’re not a skilled netter.

If someone other than you hooks a fish, keep you and your gear out of the way. Don’t ask, do you want me to reel in. If you ask, you’re too late. You don’t have to get a quick photo of anything, stay out of the way.

Take care of your garbage. Ask the captain where he wants it.

Don’t bring anything on the boat you don’t intend to use. No duffle bags full of crap or big tackle boxes.

Watch your language. You don’t need to talk like a Nun, just be considerate. Most everyone like folks with a good sense of humor. If someone doesn’t, it’s their problem.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #20
Chad D.
Chromer

Default A little advice requested.

I spend most of my offshore time on one boat, and the crew is usually pulled from the same group of people. The captain typically pays for everything up front, and we split it up at the end of the day. Flow meter makes gas a breeze. Bait and ice are easy to figure. Things like lost tackle are a bit of a guess, so I always round up. If a share is $68, I’ll round up to $80 or $100.

It’s nice to keep getting invited, and I know the cost of operating a boat. I don’t mean the cost of buying and insuring the boat, as that is the same whether it gets used or not. I mean the costs to keep up with wear and tear, maintenance, tires, you name it. The more a fella uses a boat, the more those costs add up. I see no problem with kicking in a few extra bones to help out with these expenses, since I did help generate them...
Does this mean I’m participating in an illegal charter??? No more than splitting up expenses when a group of us take my brother’s 5th wheel to SoCal for a desert race every February. We split the fuel, propane, food, beer, and ice. Those of us that don’t own the truck or trailer round our shares up a good $50 to $100 for cleaning, oil change, tire wear, basic wear and tear, you get the picture.

I say these are the exact same thing. Not a charter. No one is substantially “gaining” from my shared payment.

That said, if someone would prefer not to take your money, that’s fine. Some folks just don’t want the money. Maybe they don’t feel comfortable asking, or maybe they’re comfortable enough that they just don’t need it... I’ll offer again when it’s just the two of us, as I do understand the associated costs. If it is still rejected, I thank them sincerely for the day. It’s about all you can do at that point. Next time we go, I’d suggest that I pick up the bait or ice. Maybe lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chad D.; 09-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Chad D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #21
Rickster
Tuna!

I always ask how much we burned in fuel and bait ... Even when I know my buddy ain't gonna tell me. In which case I slide a bottle of booze into his truck. Sometimes, the captain isn't taking you fishing. It's possible you just represent another line in the water. You can't go wrong with a conversation. Maybe next time you bring lunch or whatever. There are a lot of ways to make things fair.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #22
DirtyDauber
Coho

Fuel of rig pulling boat + boat launch + bait + boat fuel = trip. You should be able to figure out the cost of the trip. I take numerous people fishing all the time and all I want is for everyone to contribute evenly. No more, no less. I know there are people who just want other people to pay for their trips. I would just PM the guy and discuss the cost.
DirtyDauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #23
IAHawkeye
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
i am going anyway so i dont ask for any money and dont want any. i feel if i let you in my boat you are a guest. just like if i invited you over for dinner.
to each his own though.
Same here. I only take people I know, everyone has offered to bring bait and sometimes lunch and usually offer gas money. I'll take the bait and the lunch but not the cash.
IAHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #24
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
to each his own though.
How I feel too.
Luckily my buddies usually pick up the launch fees and ice without me asking.
But I have no qualms with other owners asking for some help.

Last edited by fishrepellor; 09-12-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added
fishrepellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #25
bolen05
Chromer

A boat that ties over from the valley astandard share for an ocean day is 40-50. I generally provide bait gear ice launch fee etc so that is pretty inclusive. I you have a long run for deep water halibut could be a couple bucks more. When I hop on a buddy’s boat for tuna I bring $120-130 with me and normally throw a couple bucks more than they ask at them because I know it’s expensive to operate an ocean capable boat and really appreciate the invite and don’t want give reasons to not get invited back except for my less than charming personality but I can’t help that.
bolen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #26
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

In my book, for a nearshore trip it's considerate to pick up the launch fee. At then end of the day kicking in $10 ~ $20 is appreciated. If you want to bring ice, that's fine if I know up front so I will bring less. If you lose a bunch of my gear on the bottom, you might take that into consideration. The only expectation is that you will pull the crab pots.