Kicker Size for Smoker Craft Pro Lodge - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 09-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
BeavInWashington
Fry

Default Kicker Size for Smoker Craft Pro Lodge

I presently have a newer 16' Smoker Craft Pro Lodge (16'6" long, 82" beam, 850# dry weight) with a Honda 40 tiller on it. I'd like to put a kicker on the boat, but I'm leery of weight on the back of the transom (79" wide by 20" height, and 10 degree dead rise).

The boat is rated up to 60hp, and my Honda 40 weighs 214 pounds. I'd primarily use the motor for kokanee trolling, and some salmon trolling on the Columbia/estuary.

I really would like to avoid a single cylinder engine due to vibration, so that rules out most if not all current 6 hp models.

Looking at mostly 8 hp models in the 80-90# range. Also considering a bow mount electric trolling motor instead for balance/weight, but it'd probably be a lot less usable on the Columbia or in the wind.

If anyone owns a Pro Lodge, what's your kicker setup (if you have one)? For non-Pro Lodge owners, am I going down the right path for a kicker?

Thanks for the input!

BeavInWashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
shanem
Tuna!

Default Re: Kicker Size for Smoker Craft Pro Lodge

If you are mostly using it for Kokanee have you considered a bow mount electric? I have a Minn Kota Riptide 55# on my Alumaweld Talon and it does a great job and I get about 6-8hrs trolling on a single battery. If it is a really windy day 5-6hrs. Being able to steer the boat with a remote and not having to have my hand on the tiller has been really nice. Allows me to enjoy the trip more too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
Chad D.
Chromer

Bow mount for sure. If it gets too windy or rough for it alone, fire up the main to help out with thrust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
BeavInWashington
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
If you are mostly using it for Kokanee have you considered a bow mount electric? I have a Minn Kota Riptide 55# on my Alumaweld Talon and it does a great job and I get about 6-8hrs trolling on a single battery. If it is a really windy day 5-6hrs. Being able to steer the boat with a remote and not having to have my hand on the tiller has been really nice. Allows me to enjoy the trip more too.

Thanks for the response, and yes, I'm considering a bow mount. Any idea on cost and install cost on one of those? I'd guess it'd be similar to a new 8hp kicker.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
shanem
Tuna!

Default Kicker Size for Smoker Craft Pro Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInWashington View Post
Thanks for the response, and yes, I'm considering a bow mount. Any idea on cost and install cost on one of those? I'd guess it'd be similar to a new 8hp kicker.

Depends on the size motor and if you get ipilot (gps based) or not. My 55# riptide doesn’t have ipilot but does have a wireless remote, mine ran $800 new plus a battery. ipilot will push it up to $1400 for the same size motor. I cheaped out and went non-ipilot. For Install I did myself, if you go this route get the Minnkota quick release mount. It is 4 bolts that mount the plate to the boat and I can still use my anchor nest. But I can take the motor off and leave it in the garage since I park the boat outside. The quick release has pin but I replaced that with a small pad lock for when towing or parked places.

Last edited by shanem; 09-09-2019 at 06:12 PM.
shanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
team anarchy
Sturgeon

I had a Smoker Craft Pro Alaskan 16ft with a 60hp Johnson 2 stroke (weight unknown). Put a 8hp Honda 4 stroke on it after the first year. Like you I was concerned about the weight and size of the Honda. Turned out to never be a problem. My advice is go with a gas troller. No need to worry abut charging your battery (especially when camping). Also, you might decide to do more than koke's. There's an awful lot of salmon around just waiting for you. If you do go electric definately go bow mount. Transom mount's just don't do well in any kind of wind.
team anarchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
BeavInWashington
Fry

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I'm leaning more towards a bow mount, but may end up doing both. Bow mount and a kicker eventually too.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
shanem
Tuna!

One last thing to consider...if you fish alone a lot then spend the money and get iPilot for the bow mount. On a windy day you will be glad you did. I mostly fish with my wife so either one of us can steer while other reels in a fish. but a couple times she was out of town and went by myself. It wasn’t too bad steering the boat and landing a fish but if you have two rods trolling then get a fish on and the wind is pushing you sideways it is really hard to keep your boat straight while fighting the fish at the same time.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
Chad D.
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavInWashington View Post
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I'm leaning more towards a bow mount, but may end up doing both. Bow mount and a kicker eventually too.

Three motors sure seems like an awful lot for a 16’ boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is online now   Reply With Quote