Insulated fish totes - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #1
fishensgr8
Coho

Default Insulated fish totes

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with either the BONAR pb1800 series insulated fish totes, or the SMAK insulated fish totes. I am looking for something that does at least as well as a decent cooler at holding ice. I see the SMAK is very well insulated, but its also larger and may not fit our boat.

SMAK lists their R- value at 28. Bonar says theirs is 7 per inch..... at a little over 1.5 inches thick, I'm guessing that makes it around R-11 or so.

The BONAR looks to be a little smaller so it may fit where we need it to. It's insulated as well, I just don't know if it will hold ice as good as a decent Igloo. It's a commercial tote and the company can only quote me what's in their brochure so I'm looking to see if anyone has any real world experience.

We sometimes leave our fish on ice for an extra day till we can get to them and in a good cooler they are pushing being frozen. It would be great if the totes could do that as well.

fishensgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
wdlfbio
Tuna!

Default Re: Insulated fish totes

SlapShot has a pair of SMAK 1/2 totes under the floor. ACI built an insulated deck hatch for each. Ice was awesome for the 3 days. Easily could have held for 4. We put 21 in this 1/2 tote with room for more. Added a little salt after fishing and cleaning the boat Saturday. Cleaned fish about 11 on Sunday and my hands hurt from the cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C0B5875-72C0-420F-BA60-BF68CE2B72BE.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	729607  
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
FireHead
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishensgr8 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has any experience with either the BONAR pb1800 series insulated fish totes, or the SMAK insulated fish totes. I am looking for something that does at least as well as a decent cooler at holding ice. I see the SMAK is very well insulated, but its also larger and may not fit our boat.

SMAK lists their R- value at 28. Bonar says theirs is 7 per inch..... at a little over 1.5 inches thick, I'm guessing that makes it around R-11 or so.

The BONAR looks to be a little smaller so it may fit where we need it to. It's insulated as well, I just don't know if it will hold ice as good as a decent Igloo. It's a commercial tote and the company can only quote me what's in their brochure so I'm looking to see if anyone has any real world experience.

We sometimes leave our fish on ice for an extra day till we can get to them and in a good cooler they are pushing being frozen. It would be great if the totes could do that as well.
The SMAK totes are the day to go.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:23 AM   #4
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishensgr8 View Post

Silverfish has two of the green commercial half-totes, I think the brand is Bonar. They hold ice better than my large igloo coolers. My standard procedure is to leave tuna in the totes at least overnight and sometimes for two days. Not a problem. Occasionally I add more ice to the slush tote since the ice tends to get melted because we put warm tuna in during the day and a full load of tuna will need more ice in that tote at the end of the trip to keep the fish for a couple of days.

Before I got a place at the coast I'd sometimes bring fish hope to Corvallis to clean them and I was happy with how well and long the half-totes held fish and ice.

I see a lot of those half-totes on commercial boats and around the waterfront. That says something positive about them IMO.

I have no experience with the SMAK totes so can't compare the two brands. My guess is that both are excellent.
ron m
ron m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #5
Hiflyball25
Coho

We took out our seats and have 2 Smak 1/2 totes instead, in fact I got the first one they made, it was so good I went and bought a 2nd, a couple of years ago I had both 3/4 full of flake ice for a tuna trip that was canceled, came back 3 weeks later and still had some big chunks of ice in each cooler (August in Ilwaco)
You cant go wrong with the Smak boxes
Hiflyball25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
Tjmass
Cutthroat

We got the Smak 1/2 tote with fork lift bottom set in the middle of the deck. We don't need it for fork lifts but it raised height of the tote to make a nice work / bait station with the built in cutting board on top. It also provides more foot room as you feet can fit underneath the tote (every inch counts with 6 guys in the cockpit). haven't had ice and tuna in it more than a day but they appear to keep ice very well. $475 at Englunds.
Tjmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Beer Waggin
Ifish Nate

+1 for what Ron said...

I typically fished with a 1/2 tote in the bow. The other stayed in the truck so I could quickly transfer fish.

The Bonar’s will hold a dozen good sized tuna, 9 monsters and as many of the little ones as you could ever want...

Nothing to say about Smak, as I’ve never really looked at them...
Old 08-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

I'm going back and forth between having an aluminum frame built to hold my two 30x60 kill bags in place in the center of my deck (6'2" long by 6'8" wide), or getting a single Smak tote and using it in the center (sounds like they are about 48" long x 24" wide). How many average-size (15ish pound) tuna are folks able to get into 1 Smak tote? I've heard totes work a lot better if you pack the fish in nose down/tail up, rather than try to stack them like cordwood.

I usually call it a day at 20-25 fish (cleaning/processing more is just a drag).

I've been doing kill bags for years, and while they work well for keeping fish cold they always balloon out into big blobs that block access to the gunnels for gaffing fish, especially for smaller people. Wondering if a tote + one 30x48" kill bag in the bow (for carrying extra ice) would work as well as the system I have now.

Last edited by Threeweight; 08-28-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
fishensgr8
Coho

I appreciate the responses. I made mockups to see how the totes would fit in our boat. After my first mate (aka the boss) looked it over, I didn't get the nod of approval. We are going to purchase the smaller cooler size SMAK fish box though. They sound like they really hold the ice well.
fishensgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
Chukarhead
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeweight View Post
I'm going back and forth between having an aluminum frame built to hold my two 30x60 kill bags in place in the center of my deck (6'2" long by 6'8" wide), or getting a single Smak tote and using it in the center (sounds like they are about 48" long x 24" wide). How many average-size (15ish pound) tuna are folks able to get into 1 Smak tote? I've heard totes work a lot better if you pack the fish in nose down/tail up, rather than try to stack them like cordwood.

I usually call it a day at 20-25 fish (cleaning/processing more is just a drag).

I've been doing kill bags for years, and while they work well for keeping fish cold they always balloon out into big blobs that block access to the gunnels for gaffing fish, especially for smaller people. Wondering if a tote + one 30x48" kill bag in the bow (for carrying extra ice) would work as well as the system I have now.

I was in the same boat last year, so to speak. Went with the Smak instead of the rack. We pack 20ish whole fish into the Smak, but that number goes way up (28 early this year) if we head/gut at sea and stack them carefully with lots of ice. I'd never go back. Kill bags are trip-happy deck hazards; the centrally-located Smak box is a great leaning post, and helpful cutting table.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote