Nosler Custom Rifle - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
TylerDurden
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 176
Default Nosler Custom Rifle

I won a custom Nosler rifle / leupold package over the weekend. Can’t decide on the caliber. The scope is a VX3 with cds. It’s going to be used as your typical eastern Oregon big game rifle. I’m leaving toward the 6.5cm. If you could pick anyone from the list what would it be and why???





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
SImudBogger
Brood stock
 
SImudBogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gresham
Posts: 6,156
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Simply for the capability to shoot heavy for caliber projectiles at higher velocities than a short action can.

But.... if I were you I’d delete this thread and just go with your gut/heart. You’re going to get a ton of different responses with no clear winner. Seen it too many times on here over the years.
__________________
Time marches on, time marches on......
SImudBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
jlg
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Linn
Posts: 1,123
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SImudBogger View Post
7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Simply for the capability to shoot heavy for caliber projectiles at higher velocities than a short action can.

But.... if I were you I’d delete this thread and just go with your gut/heart. You’re going to get a ton of different responses with no clear winner. Seen it too many times on here over the years.
I agree on 7mm.

I also especially agree with your second comment regarding how the responses will go and to trust your gut.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Clackman
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: oak grove
Posts: 279
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

28 nos
Clackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
oregonoutdoors
Tuna!
 
oregonoutdoors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bend
Posts: 1,711
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

280 Ackley, It does 95% of what a 7mm Rem mag does with a way less powder and recoil. 28 Nosler if you want a great long range elk gun but you'll probably want a muzzle break on it. The 6.5 creedmore (needmore) is good for midrange deer but you'll want more for elk at mid to longer range.

Last edited by oregonoutdoors; 06-24-2019 at 11:42 AM.
oregonoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
wildwood
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 2,481
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I won a custom Nosler rifle / leupold package over the weekend. Can’t decide on the caliber. The scope is a VX3 with cds. It’s going to be used as your typical eastern Oregon big game rifle. I’m leaving toward the 6.5cm. If you could pick anyone from the list what would it be and why???





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler-

Congrats, what an awesome opportunity for you.

Personally out of all those rounds I would go with 300 win mag. But I am jaded, its's my favorite. You can find ammo on any sporting goods store self anywhere. And whenever big games guns started getting compared the 300 Win Mag is always the benchmark. May be there's a reason.

One of my hunting buddies, use to be an engineer at Nosler and he was one of the designers of the 26, 28, 30, & 33 Nosler. He says the 33 Nosler is the best of all of them.

Whichever you do with I am sure that it would be an awesome rifle.
wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Whatchaketchemon
Chromer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

280 AI. If you don't mind recoil go with one of the big .30's. 6.5 Creedmoor is a cool cartridge but for a big game rifle I don't think it's the best choice on that list.
Whatchaketchemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Sneaker
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: SW Eugene
Posts: 608
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

The reply changes based on whether or not you reload.
Sneaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,907
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
You can find ammo on any sporting goods store self anywhere.

The single worst reason for picking a caliber in the history of the world.

If one cannot “Be Prepared” and bring enough ammunition to a hunt then one doesn’t get to go hunting; it’s not a difficult concept and it will only happen once in a lifetime at most. 🤠

One option you may not have thought of is to pick a caliber that your potential buyer’s on ifish like, thereby converting your asset to cash to use on both a gun AND a hunt you want.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
SquarePeg
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

I suppose it depends on what you already own. I don't see any point in duplicating something you've already got. I'd go with .300 Win Mag or .300 WSM making the choice based on whether you prefer long or short action cartridges. Get a 180 grain partition moving along roughly 3000 fps .. it's effective.


If you already have a good .300 of any flavor, then maybe something else makes more sense. If you've already got all the bases covered, then possibly the 6.5 CM does make some sense just for the heck of doing something you haven't already done.


So yeah, I think it depends on what you've already got in the safe.
__________________
Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't seen a Möbius strip ...
SquarePeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
wildwood
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 2,481
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
The single worst reason for picking a caliber in the history of the world.

If one cannot “Be Prepared” and bring enough ammunition to a hunt then one doesn’t get to go hunting; it’s not a difficult concept and it will only happen once in a lifetime at most. 🤠

One option you may not have thought of is to pick a caliber that your potential buyer’s on ifish like, thereby converting your asset to cash to use on both a gun AND a hunt you want.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loper might be a poor choice for you when selecting a caliber, but not for all. Stuff happens. For example, my brother dropped his rifle years ago while on an elk hunt in Idaho, and after getting the gun re-zeroed it left him with less than 10 rounds. Not an issue if you are close to town or where you live. In my brother's case he lives in CA, we were in Idaho, and the closest town was grangeville. Small sporting goods store had 300 win mag ammo, but did not have 300 ultra mag ammo.
wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
TylerDurden
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 176
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
The reply changes based on whether or not you reload.


Yes. I roll my own


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #13
444Marlin
Tuna!
 
444Marlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,029
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

I like the idea of the 280 AI. I think that'd be pretty handy.

If it were me, I'd ask...even if it wasn't on the list: 35 whelen. I know they've offered them in the past.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
DogZilla15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32,491
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

If it will be a dedicated deer rifle, 7mm Mag. Combo deer elk, 33 Nosler.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #15
TylerDurden
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 176
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
I suppose it depends on what you already own. I don't see any point in duplicating something you've already got. I'd go with .300 Win Mag or .300 WSM making the choice based on whether you prefer long or short action cartridges. Get a 180 grain partition moving along roughly 3000 fps .. it's effective.


If you already have a good .300 of any flavor, then maybe something else makes more sense. If you've already got all the bases covered, then possibly the 6.5 CM does make some sense just for the heck of doing something you haven't already done.


So yeah, I think it depends on what you've already got in the safe.


My go to big game rifle has been a 25-06 for a long time. It’s killed everything from elk to sage rats. I’ve a 270, a 30-06 or 2 and a 300 win mag.

So I’ve got the “normal” big game calibers covered.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
blackdog
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Portland
Posts: 4,216
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
My go to big game rifle has been a 25-06 for a long time. It’s killed everything from elk to sage rats. I’ve a 270, a 30-06 or 2 and a 300 win mag.

So I’ve got the “normal” big game calibers covered.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That being said, I'd definitely lean towards the 33 Nosler.
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
fisherman983
Chromer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toledo oregon
Posts: 953
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Me personally, I'd sell it and build a rifle with a mag box big enough to seat bullets where they should be.
After reloading for a couple nosler rifles, their mags are super short and throats very long. Very frustrating for such an overpriced rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
fisherman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #18
Troutman
Coho
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 69
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

I picked up a Nosler rifle last Christmas in .300 WSM, loaded with Nosler ammo the gun shoots better than I can, what more can you want in a hunting rifle.
__________________
TroutMan
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
SquarePeg
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
My go to big game rifle has been a 25-06 for a long time. It’s killed everything from elk to sage rats. I’ve a 270, a 30-06 or 2 and a 300 win mag.

So I’ve got the “normal” big game calibers covered.

In that case, I don't see a "need" that isn't met. Maybe something truly long range. Maybe just something that piques your curiosity. It's a cool "problem" to have.
__________________
Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't seen a Möbius strip ...
SquarePeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #20
baltz526
King Salmon
 
baltz526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: lapine oregon
Posts: 23,029
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

I would pick the 300 win mag.
__________________
I have been wrong once before. Just once mind you. It was for several years, Ok A decade or more. But just the once.
baltz526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #21
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
DogZilla15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32,491
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Troutman: If a person ever wanted to get into handloading, the .300WSM is a poor choice. Also, to be designated a magnum, it should be capable of handling 200 gr. bullets without seating them down in the case robbing powder space and never reaching velocities the case is capable of producing. This isn't a cartridge problem, it's generally the rifles the cartridge is chambered in. Short magazines and deep seated bullets don't cut it.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #22
Sun Dog
Sturgeon
 
Sun Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Junction City
Posts: 4,407
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

If you predominately intend to use it for deer and antelope, with the occasional elk hunt, then the 6.5 Creedmoor or better still the 6.5-284 Norma are the bee's knees...

If elk are going to be a routine assignment then the .280 Ackley Improved is a better choice. The 300 WSM is very good, but takes the recoil up 2 notches...
__________________

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #23
whitey375
Ifish Nate
 
whitey375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,993
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

The 28, especially since you handload.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #24
QSX15
Chromer
 
QSX15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 966
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

You won a Nosler Rifle.
I say get a Nosler caliber. 28 or 33
__________________
Big fast bullets kill better than small fast bullets.

"O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken"
QSX15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #25
Flatfish
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mulletville
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Kinda depends on what you want to do with it.

If uber long range is top priority, the 28 Nosler should do a good job.

If you hunt and shoot at say 500 yards and less, most any chambering could have a strong argument made for it.

If you don't want a lot of noise and recoil in a big game rig, the 25s and 6.5s (Non magnums) make sense.

If high volume shooting at steel gongs is important to you, a Creedmoor (6 or 6.5) is a good choice.

I see lots of responses here that are what the person desires/thinks is best for their own personal agendas. That's great for them. But more or less useless to a person who had different criteria.

If you desire a Creed, get one. If you want a big bore, get one.

Keep in mind, if you do get a high performance chambering, to really wring out every last yard, things tend to get expensive when compared to "traditional" cartridges.
__________________
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #26
Desert Bighorn
Chromer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 674
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Any 6.5 is a fine deer/antelope choice,,,get bigger when it comes to longer range elk. The math is just minimal with any 6.5 listed for this purpose.

Both the 280AI and 7mm mag when using the best bullets would be a good middle of the road for open country and all big game.

I never liked the 300 win mag preferring more vintage calibers,,,but I have one now and it is a fine gun for open country elk. I would not get one in a barrel less that 24 inches
Desert Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #27
Kota
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
Kinda depends on what you want to do with it.

If uber long range is top priority, the 28 Nosler should do a good job.

If you hunt and shoot at say 500 yards and less, most any chambering could have a strong argument made for it.

If you don't want a lot of noise and recoil in a big game rig, the 25s and 6.5s (Non magnums) make sense.

If high volume shooting at steel gongs is important to you, a Creedmoor (6 or 6.5) is a good choice.

I see lots of responses here that are what the person desires/thinks is best for their own personal agendas. That's great for them. But more or less useless to a person who had different criteria.

If you desire a Creed, get one. If you want a big bore, get one.

Keep in mind, if you do get a high performance chambering, to really wring out every last yard, things tend to get expensive when compared to "traditional" cartridges.
^^this. Good luck in your choice and pleAse let us know what you pick and how it shoots.
Kota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #28
TylerDurden
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 176
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

Right now. I’m kind of leaning towards the 280AI. Read a lot of articles yesterday seems like a good all around cartridge with some long range tendencies. I’m also looking at the 28 Nosler.

I have always enjoyed adding a new caliber to the arsenal because of the R&D to get that pet load just right.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #29
Flatfish
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mulletville
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

280AI is great.

Make sure bbl twist matches bullet(s) you plan on using.
__________________
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #30
bigdawgwill44
Chromer
 
bigdawgwill44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 548
Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

For an all around Eastern Oregon hunting cartridge I would go with 28 Nosler.
bigdawgwill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.28102 seconds with 46 queries