Nosler Custom Rifle - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
TylerDurden
Steelhead

Default Nosler Custom Rifle

I won a custom Nosler rifle / leupold package over the weekend. Can’t decide on the caliber. The scope is a VX3 with cds. It’s going to be used as your typical eastern Oregon big game rifle. I’m leaving toward the 6.5cm. If you could pick anyone from the list what would it be and why???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Default Re: Nosler Custom Rifle

7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Simply for the capability to shoot heavy for caliber projectiles at higher velocities than a short action can.

But.... if I were you I’d delete this thread and just go with your gut/heart. You’re going to get a ton of different responses with no clear winner. Seen it too many times on here over the years.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
jlg
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SImudBogger View Post
7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Simply for the capability to shoot heavy for caliber projectiles at higher velocities than a short action can.

But.... if I were you I’d delete this thread and just go with your gut/heart. You’re going to get a ton of different responses with no clear winner. Seen it too many times on here over the years.
I agree on 7mm.

I also especially agree with your second comment regarding how the responses will go and to trust your gut.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Clackman
Steelhead

28 nos
Clackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
oregonoutdoors
Tuna!

280 Ackley, It does 95% of what a 7mm Rem mag does with a way less powder and recoil. 28 Nosler if you want a great long range elk gun but you'll probably want a muzzle break on it. The 6.5 creedmore (needmore) is good for midrange deer but you'll want more for elk at mid to longer range.

Last edited by oregonoutdoors; 06-24-2019 at 11:42 AM.
oregonoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I won a custom Nosler rifle / leupold package over the weekend. Can’t decide on the caliber. The scope is a VX3 with cds. It’s going to be used as your typical eastern Oregon big game rifle. I’m leaving toward the 6.5cm. If you could pick anyone from the list what would it be and why???

Tyler-

Congrats, what an awesome opportunity for you.

Personally out of all those rounds I would go with 300 win mag. But I am jaded, its's my favorite. You can find ammo on any sporting goods store self anywhere. And whenever big games guns started getting compared the 300 Win Mag is always the benchmark. May be there's a reason.

One of my hunting buddies, use to be an engineer at Nosler and he was one of the designers of the 26, 28, 30, & 33 Nosler. He says the 33 Nosler is the best of all of them.

Whichever you do with I am sure that it would be an awesome rifle.
wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Whatchaketchemon
Chromer

280 AI. If you don't mind recoil go with one of the big .30's. 6.5 Creedmoor is a cool cartridge but for a big game rifle I don't think it's the best choice on that list.
Whatchaketchemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Sneaker
Chromer

The reply changes based on whether or not you reload.
Sneaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
You can find ammo on any sporting goods store self anywhere.

The single worst reason for picking a caliber in the history of the world.

If one cannot “Be Prepared” and bring enough ammunition to a hunt then one doesn’t get to go hunting; it’s not a difficult concept and it will only happen once in a lifetime at most. 🤠

One option you may not have thought of is to pick a caliber that your potential buyer’s on ifish like, thereby converting your asset to cash to use on both a gun AND a hunt you want.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
SquarePeg
Tuna!

I suppose it depends on what you already own. I don't see any point in duplicating something you've already got. I'd go with .300 Win Mag or .300 WSM making the choice based on whether you prefer long or short action cartridges. Get a 180 grain partition moving along roughly 3000 fps .. it's effective.

If you already have a good .300 of any flavor, then maybe something else makes more sense. If you've already got all the bases covered, then possibly the 6.5 CM does make some sense just for the heck of doing something you haven't already done.

So yeah, I think it depends on what you've already got in the safe.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
The single worst reason for picking a caliber in the history of the world.

If one cannot “Be Prepared” and bring enough ammunition to a hunt then one doesn’t get to go hunting; it’s not a difficult concept and it will only happen once in a lifetime at most. 🤠

One option you may not have thought of is to pick a caliber that your potential buyer’s on ifish like, thereby converting your asset to cash to use on both a gun AND a hunt you want.

Loper might be a poor choice for you when selecting a caliber, but not for all. Stuff happens. For example, my brother dropped his rifle years ago while on an elk hunt in Idaho, and after getting the gun re-zeroed it left him with less than 10 rounds. Not an issue if you are close to town or where you live. In my brother's case he lives in CA, we were in Idaho, and the closest town was grangeville. Small sporting goods store had 300 win mag ammo, but did not have 300 ultra mag ammo.
wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
TylerDurden
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
The reply changes based on whether or not you reload.

Yes. I roll my own

Old 06-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #13
444Marlin
Tuna!

I like the idea of the 280 AI. I think that'd be pretty handy.

If it were me, I'd ask...even if it wasn't on the list: 35 whelen. I know they've offered them in the past.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

If it will be a dedicated deer rifle, 7mm Mag. Combo deer elk, 33 Nosler.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #15
TylerDurden
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
I suppose it depends on what you already own. I don't see any point in duplicating something you've already got. I'd go with .300 Win Mag or .300 WSM making the choice based on whether you prefer long or short action cartridges. Get a 180 grain partition moving along roughly 3000 fps .. it's effective.

If you already have a good .300 of any flavor, then maybe something else makes more sense. If you've already got all the bases covered, then possibly the 6.5 CM does make some sense just for the heck of doing something you haven't already done.

So yeah, I think it depends on what you've already got in the safe.

My go to big game rifle has been a 25-06 for a long time. It’s killed everything from elk to sage rats. I’ve a 270, a 30-06 or 2 and a 300 win mag.

So I’ve got the “normal” big game calibers covered.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
blackdog
Sturgeon

Quote:
My go to big game rifle has been a 25-06 for a long time. It’s killed everything from elk to sage rats. I’ve a 270, a 30-06 or 2 and a 300 win mag.

That being said, I'd definitely lean towards the 33 Nosler.
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
fisherman983
Chromer

Me personally, I'd sell it and build a rifle with a mag box big enough to seat bullets where they should be.
After reloading for a couple nosler rifles, their mags are super short and throats very long. Very frustrating for such an overpriced rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
fisherman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #18
Troutman
Coho

I picked up a Nosler rifle last Christmas in .300 WSM, loaded with Nosler ammo the gun shoots better than I can, what more can you want in a hunting rifle.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
SquarePeg
Tuna!

Quote:

In that case, I don't see a "need" that isn't met. Maybe something truly long range. Maybe just something that piques your curiosity. It's a cool "problem" to have.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #20
baltz526
King Salmon

I would pick the 300 win mag.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #21
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Troutman: If a person ever wanted to get into handloading, the .300WSM is a poor choice. Also, to be designated a magnum, it should be capable of handling 200 gr. bullets without seating them down in the case robbing powder space and never reaching velocities the case is capable of producing. This isn't a cartridge problem, it's generally the rifles the cartridge is chambered in. Short magazines and deep seated bullets don't cut it.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #22
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

If you predominately intend to use it for deer and antelope, with the occasional elk hunt, then the 6.5 Creedmoor or better still the 6.5-284 Norma are the bee's knees...

If elk are going to be a routine assignment then the .280 Ackley Improved is a better choice. The 300 WSM is very good, but takes the recoil up 2 notches...

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #23
whitey375
Ifish Nate

The 28, especially since you handload.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #24
QSX15
Chromer

You won a Nosler Rifle.
I say get a Nosler caliber. 28 or 33

"O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken"
QSX15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #25
Flatfish
King Salmon

Kinda depends on what you want to do with it.

If uber long range is top priority, the 28 Nosler should do a good job.

If you hunt and shoot at say 500 yards and less, most any chambering could have a strong argument made for it.

If you don't want a lot of noise and recoil in a big game rig, the 25s and 6.5s (Non magnums) make sense.

If high volume shooting at steel gongs is important to you, a Creedmoor (6 or 6.5) is a good choice.

I see lots of responses here that are what the person desires/thinks is best for their own personal agendas. That's great for them. But more or less useless to a person who had different criteria.

If you desire a Creed, get one. If you want a big bore, get one.

Keep in mind, if you do get a high performance chambering, to really wring out every last yard, things tend to get expensive when compared to "traditional" cartridges.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #26
Desert Bighorn
Chromer

Any 6.5 is a fine deer/antelope choice,,,get bigger when it comes to longer range elk. The math is just minimal with any 6.5 listed for this purpose.

Both the 280AI and 7mm mag when using the best bullets would be a good middle of the road for open country and all big game.

I never liked the 300 win mag preferring more vintage calibers,,,but I have one now and it is a fine gun for open country elk. I would not get one in a barrel less that 24 inches
Desert Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #27
Kota
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
Kinda depends on what you want to do with it.

If uber long range is top priority, the 28 Nosler should do a good job.

If you hunt and shoot at say 500 yards and less, most any chambering could have a strong argument made for it.

If you don't want a lot of noise and recoil in a big game rig, the 25s and 6.5s (Non magnums) make sense.

If high volume shooting at steel gongs is important to you, a Creedmoor (6 or 6.5) is a good choice.

I see lots of responses here that are what the person desires/thinks is best for their own personal agendas. That's great for them. But more or less useless to a person who had different criteria.

If you desire a Creed, get one. If you want a big bore, get one.

Keep in mind, if you do get a high performance chambering, to really wring out every last yard, things tend to get expensive when compared to "traditional" cartridges.
^^this. Good luck in your choice and pleAse let us know what you pick and how it shoots.
Kota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #28
TylerDurden
Steelhead

Right now. I’m kind of leaning towards the 280AI. Read a lot of articles yesterday seems like a good all around cartridge with some long range tendencies. I’m also looking at the 28 Nosler.

I have always enjoyed adding a new caliber to the arsenal because of the R&D to get that pet load just right.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #29
Flatfish
King Salmon

280AI is great.

Make sure bbl twist matches bullet(s) you plan on using.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #30
bigdawgwill44
Chromer

For an all around Eastern Oregon hunting cartridge I would go with 28 Nosler.
bigdawgwill44 is offline   Reply With Quote