The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #121
SlamminSalmon69
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Seals and deterrents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Salmon View Post
The part that got me the most is that he called osp and asked him, and he said it was illegal, and there the ones that write the ticket not NOAA, it's like a catch 22

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Just because he writes you a ticket doesn't make you automatically guilty. Cops make mistakes too.

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #122
Buddy's buddy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Salmon View Post
The part that got me the most is that he called osp and asked him, and he said it was illegal, and there the ones that write the ticket not NOAA, it's like a catch 22

Just think doc next time he might be in your boat trying to take that fish you just netted.
Buddy's buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #123
Bill Monroe

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...rt_river_index

I'll let you know if I hear different from any state agency.
This list was issued in a news release from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Have to think it was vetted beforehand.
I also wrote similar tips last year and was never called on it...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #124
Dr. Salmon
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...rt_river_index

I'll let you know if I hear different from any state agency.
This list was issued in a news release from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Have to think it was vetted beforehand.
I also wrote similar tips last year and was never called on it...

Thank you, I read this last year, that's when I started carrying a sling shot, I'm sorry if I made anyone upset over this post. I just wanted to get what I was told, and I believe he called dispatch and they forwarded it to a trooper on duty.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #125
b ruff
Ifish Nate

I use a slingshot and 3/8" steel balls. It gives great pleasure when you (rarely) smack one.
The problem is, all my shots go left. Except for the ones that go right.
I missed one yesterday that was 15 feet away. At least I wasn't the only one.
b ruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #126
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Let's see how long it takes for this to go from a deterrent to harassment.

Live to see the bobber sink.
Ifisherkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #127
Modest_Man
Tuna!

If you are actively fishing it is a deterrent. Anything else it's harassment.
Modest_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #128
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Is there anything that can be used that is also cost effective that will not hurt the river like steel? I know we already loose a ton of lead and other gear in the water, but there has to be something as effective as steel that won't just sit on the bottom of the river.
JerryOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #129
grassman
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryOFF View Post
Is there anything that can be used that is also cost effective that will not hurt the river like steel? I know we already loose a ton of lead and other gear in the water, but there has to be something as effective as steel that won't just sit on the bottom of the river.
No steel is going to "just sit on the bottom". Even stainless will corrode away, especially salt water. The Titanic is crumbling rapidly away.
grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #130
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Inside city limits a paintball gun is a no go, wrist rockets and slingshots are not firearms. Those things have to be written into the discharge regulations. Sort of like a lot of cities you can shoot a bow but not a BB gun or paintball gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #131
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman View Post
No steel is going to "just sit on the bottom". Even stainless will corrode away, especially salt water. The Titanic is crumbling rapidly away.
Most people are not using the steel sling shot balls in the Salt, it's the rivers where the lions are. It's been 114 years since the Titanic sank. I understand that steel eventually corrodes away from several factors, but it takes too long and still isn't healthy for our river basin. There has to be a better option... Clay or something organic in nature that would break down is better than steal. There's thousands of fisherman who fish the Willamette and the Columbia alone. If everyone of us are shooting 10-100 of these steel balls every fishing trip, think about the mass # of these steel balls that will accumulate. Think about it over the course of several years....Ignorance doesn't get us to where we want and need to be. I'm just raising the question as to what can we use that will be a better option than a metal.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #132
killercraft

Quote:
Most people are not using the steel sling shot balls in the Salt, it's the rivers where the lions are. It's been 114 years since the Titanic sank. I understand that steel eventually corrodes away from several factors, but it takes too long and still isn't healthy for our river basin. There has to be a better option... Clay or something organic in nature that would break down is better than steal. There's thousands of fisherman who fish the Willamette and the Columbia alone. If everyone of us are shooting 10-100 of these steel balls every fishing trip, think about the mass # of these steel balls that will accumulate. Think about it over the course of several years....Ignorance doesn't get us to where we want and need to be. I'm just raising the question as to what can we use that will be a better option than a metal.
How many thousands of little steel balls does it take to make a 35# anchor plus chain? Cuz there's a lot of those that get left on the bottom every year.. Should we outlaw anchors?
killercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #133
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy's buddy View Post
12ga. OO Buck rubber pellets makes more sence to me would not take many times and at least they would stay away from our boats, just ask someone that has had a net jerked out of their hand, not me yet Thank you God.
Yes with some sort of master hunter training licence - a non lethal method could be used by fisherman on the water to do what the department cant accomplish because of cost constraints. Sounds like win win a non lethal eradication of invasive species due to the dams. I promise you it would not take long to make the sea lions leave if rubber rounds were used with tracers for safety and shock and awe. Sea lions aint dumb and they wont leave unless they are getting spanked. I know a few docks that would clear out permanently

Last edited by uhmw; 04-04-2016 at 09:13 AM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #134
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercraft View Post
How many thousands of little steel balls does it take to make a 35# anchor plus chain? Cuz there's a lot of those that get left on the bottom every year.. Should we outlaw anchors?
Dumb argument. Anchors aren't intended to be left at the bottom of a river without your retrieval. No one does that on purpose. If/when it does happen, it's unfortunate. The use of the steel balls in the river to deter sea lions would be used with the intent of not retrieving. Seriously, I am not trolling, and in fact I am on the side of us fisherman. Two wrongs don't make a right thought. There has to be a better option to be used with sling shots/wrist rockets than steel. Maybe there isn't but I think there would be...
Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #135
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
Yes with some sort of master hunter training licence - a non lethal method could be used by fisherman on the water to do what the department cant accomplish because of cost constraints. Sounds like win win a non lethal eradication of invasive species due to the dams. I promise you it would not take long to make the sea lions leave if rubber rounds were used with tracers for safety and shock and awe. Sea lions aint dumb and they wont leave unless they are getting spanked. I know a few docks that would clear out permanently
It would have to be done by ODFW/WDFW. Allowing fisherman or average Joes like you and me isn't a good idea. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Imagine this. If everyone on here and Facebook that wanted to shoot them did, there would be a bunch of guys/gals discharging everything from .50cal's, shotguns, rifles, and pistols at every fur bag they seen. Most may play it safe, but some idiot(s) with bad aim would hit someones boat, houseboat, house, or worse a person. Think about the liability one would have if property/person was damaged. The insurance that would be carried alone would be outrageous. Let alone trying to find an underwriter who would insure someone to go around shooting at sea lions in cities/industrial/populated areas.

Everyone is upset and seems trigger happy because of the lack of response from Fish & Game/State/Feds. IMHO, if we want them managed and done right, it has to start from the top and work it's way down. AKA NOAA/Feds. Get them to change the MMA, and then we sub it out or pay ODFW/WDFW to round them up and euthanize the problem lions. Not all of them, but the ones that come into the rivers. They are not going to allow us to shoot them though. That's elementary thinking.

Last edited by JerryOFF; 04-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #136
gone2hunt
Steelhead

Quote:
Waterfowl hunters had to switch from lead shot to STEEL shot as it is deemed to be NON toxic?

Is a bigger ball toxic where bird shot sizes aren't?
gone2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #137
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2hunt View Post
Waterfowl hunters had to switch from lead shot to STEEL shot as it is deemed to be NON toxic?

Is a bigger ball toxic where bird shot sizes aren't?
Non toxic for you to EAT. In case of accidental ingestion. The environment was just a secondary benefit from the switch. Lead, any amount of it, is poisonous to a human. When you shoot a bird, most of the time you get the bb's out. Lead shots are still available for target practice/clay/trap shooting, just not when upland/waterfowl hunting. It's just like the seat belt law. A law that was mandated to protect you from being an idiot/ignorant.

Last edited by JerryOFF; 04-04-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #138
Buddy's buddy
Chromer

Quote:
Thank you
Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #139
panheadsully
Steelhead

Are pellet guns legal?
panheadsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #140
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1459798449172.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	455722

Friggin' Cali was a ninja, didn't even spot him in the area. Decapitated this fella a hundred or so feet out. Any approved deterrent wouldn't have worked. A high powered rifle and a native American friend would have been handy... My dog gets hungry too.

Really weird, cause I shoot my sling shot at every furbag I see and patrols never told me no, think I heard one rooting for me once. Think I pinged Wally on the forehead on that one. Maybe it's an Orygun rule??

Remember Furbags are smart, they remember which boats launch projectiles at them. Ninja boy got into us in stealth mode, had he been spotted prior to chomp I'm confident tracer marbles bouncing off him would have had him finding different real estate and whole fish would be in the box lol.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #141
Bigriverdawg
Steelhead

I called NOAA couple of years ago when a sea lion took a fish at my net. I was told at that point its self defence and its ok to shoot them ay that point. he also said you would be talking.
l was also told they find shot sea lions every day on the columbia. this is what i was told by the head of this department.
Bigriverdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #142
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Glass tracer marbles. Inert glass that eventually turns back into sand. Also easier to zero with...

Old 04-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #143
cosmo

Here's an official NOAA Fisheries document on this subject.

I'm bringing my pinwheels and pots and pans next trip out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 112515_potential_deterrence_methods.pdf (95.6 KB, 460 views)
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #144
Scott Riggen
Steelhead

Jawbreakers.....

Quote:
Dumb argument. Anchors aren't intended to be left at the bottom of a river without your retrieval. No one does that on purpose. If/when it does happen, it's unfortunate. The use of the steel balls in the river to deter sea lions would be used with the intent of not retrieving. Seriously, I am not trolling, and in fact I am on the side of us fisherman. Two wrongs don't make a right thought. There has to be a better option to be used with sling shots/wrist rockets than steel. Maybe there isn't but I think there would be...
Scott Riggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #145
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Hunter training? Just go to your local LEO and sign up for non-lethal training. Might even be some clinics in your area.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #146
gone2hunt
Steelhead

Quote:
Non toxic for you to EAT. In case of accidental ingestion. The environment was just a secondary benefit from the switch. Lead, any amount of it, is poisonous to a human. When you shoot a bird, most of the time you get the bb's out. Lead shots are still available for target practice/clay/trap shooting, just not when upland/waterfowl hunting. It's just like the seat belt law. A law that was mandated to protect you from being an idiot/ignorant.
I may be an idiot/ignorant, but you may want to do a little bit of research on the non-toxic shot issue...or maybe use a little bit of common sense as to why the law was imposed.

As I am old enough to have been hunting when the law was imposed I have a radically different view/understanding than you. If it was imposed to protect us bird hunters from ourselves, why is it a waterfowl law and not an upland game bird law (with some refuge land exceptions)? Maybe chukar and pheasant shooters are immune from lead poisoning or just better at picking all of the shot out?

Is it just your opinion that steal balls in the water is going to be toxic, or do you have a source that you can share? And be very careful out there with that lead. Fisherman are dying off by the score from lead poisoning. I just don't know how I could have been so lucky to have lived to the "winter side of life" with all of those years of handling lead, biting split shot, eating birdshot (yep miss one every once in a while), and pouring lead into molds.

Yes, lead has been proven to be toxic to many living things...but your "any amount" is far to broad...in my opinion.

I do not have any interest in carrying a slingshot and firing marbles, lead split shot, or steel balls, but I am not bothered if somebody fishing around me wants to.
gone2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #147
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1977 View Post
Glass tracer marbles. Inert glass that eventually turns back into sand. Also easier to zero with...

Love it! Thank you for the suggestion. Where do they sale them, do you know? Are they fairly common?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #148
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2hunt View Post
I may be an idiot/ignorant, but you may want to do a little bit of research on the non-toxic shot issue...or maybe use a little bit of common sense as to why the law was imposed.

As I am old enough to have been hunting when the law was imposed I have a radically different view/understanding than you. If it was imposed to protect us bird hunters from ourselves, why is it a waterfowl law and not an upland game bird law (with some refuge land exceptions)? Maybe chukar and pheasant shooters are immune from lead poisoning or just better at picking all of the shot out?

Is it just your opinion that steal balls in the water is going to be toxic, or do you have a source that you can share? And be very careful out there with that lead. Fisherman are dying off by the score from lead poisoning. I just don't know how I could have been so lucky to have lived to the "winter side of life" with all of those years of handling lead, biting split shot, eating birdshot (yep miss one every once in a while), and pouring lead into molds.

Yes, lead has been proven to be toxic to many living things...but your "any amount" is far to broad...in my opinion.

I do not have any interest in carrying a slingshot and firing marbles, lead split shot, or steel balls, but I am not bothered if somebody fishing around me wants to.
Here's one source for "any amount of lead" statement I made. Quoted

"How dangerous is lead ammunition to human health?
Lead is a toxic metal for which there is no safe human exposure level. Individuals who consume meat from animals killed with lead ammunition are at high risk for lead exposure. Several studies using X-ray imaging have shown that lead ammunition fragments very easily and very far from the wound channel; therefore, it is nearly impossible to remove completely from meat even after professional processing. Those who eat a lot of animals shot with lead ammunition tend to have higher levels of lead in their blood. Pregnant women and children are most susceptible to negative effects from lead, even at low levels of exposure." - http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...ww.google.com/

Sorry to go too far off the topic of Seal/Sea Lion deterants.

To answer the question about steel balls in a river- Eventually, and pretty quickly, the steel will rust. Iron Oxide aka "Rust" is not good for any water system. This fact can be found here. http://www.annzool.net/PDF/anzf32/anz32-317-329.pdf

The glass marble idea is a good one... Seems like it may be the best alternative. I just have the opinion of- If we are fisherman/fisherwoman, and we care so deeply about our fish, why would we be adding to the harm of the river system if we don't have too?

Last edited by JerryOFF; 04-04-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #149
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Love it! Thank you for the suggestion. Where do they sale them, do you know? Are they fairly common?
I get mine at Sunbird's. Pretty much any Sporting goods place has them. Daisy and Trumark both make them. I'm sure Amazon could drone them to your door too. Good ole cats eyes probably work too. I just think the white ones are easier to zero.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #150
panheadsully
Steelhead

Are pellet guns legal?
panheadsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #151
Bill Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by panheadsully View Post
Are pellet guns legal?
NO...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #152
Buddy's buddy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill monroe View Post
no...
thank you bill hell if they were 270 pellet gun i do have.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #153
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:
It would have to be done by ODFW/WDFW. Allowing fisherman or average Joes like you and me isn't a good idea. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Imagine this. If everyone on here and Facebook that wanted to shoot them did, there would be a bunch of guys/gals discharging everything from .50cal's, shotguns, rifles, and pistols at every fur bag they seen. Most may play it safe, but some idiot(s) with bad aim would hit someones boat, houseboat, house, or worse a person. Think about the liability one would have if property/person was damaged. The insurance that would be carried alone would be outrageous. Let alone trying to find an underwriter who would insure someone to go around shooting at sea lions in cities/industrial/populated areas.

Everyone is upset and seems trigger happy because of the lack of response from Fish & Game/State/Feds. IMHO, if we want them managed and done right, it has to start from the top and work it's way down. AKA NOAA/Feds. Get them to change the MMA, and then we sub it out or pay ODFW/WDFW to round them up and euthanize the problem lions. Not all of them, but the ones that come into the rivers. They are not going to allow us to shoot them though. That's elementary thinking.
Im qualified expert Marksman in, auto rifle,combat fire and with my 45 cal . service pistol . I have also been the distinguished alumni of the year at a large public university and Was a NCAA honorable mention all american athlete. I assure you I am not your average Joe . The what ifs are whats wrong with today's leaders - Let the experts at odfw do it
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #154
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Im qualified expert Marksman in, auto rifle,combat fire and with my 45 cal . service pistol . I have also been the distinguished alumni of the year at a large public university and Was a NCAA honorable mention all american athlete. I assure you I am not your average Joe . The what ifs are whats wrong with today's leaders - Let the experts at odfw do it
You are the minority. I'll entertain the idea for a second. The FEDS/State officials, if they ever went down a path to shoot them or give out permits etc, would look for people like you and would qualify them and make them employees/sub contractors. Otherwise it would be a HUGE can of worms opened with the potential of lawsuits and possible people/property damage. I don't discredit your marksmanship or athleticism. However, everyone thinks they are the best shot, and everyone thinks their the best at everything. We are human and confidence is a common human trait. Just look at Donald Trump. He's the most un-racist and least sexist person you know.... according to him anyway.

I'm a realist. All I'm saying is I understand why the state and the feds aren't going to issue permits or allow live ammunition to be used on sea lions. I can list countless amounts of reasons why it would never happen. Instead of pushing for unrealistic goals, we should be looking at ways to accomplish the goal of managing the problem at hand with realistic expectations and outcomes.

Last edited by JerryOFF; 04-05-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #155
30pound-tasty-fish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
Here's an official NOAA Fisheries document on this subject.

I'm bringing my pinwheels and pots and pans next trip out.

Yup, laminated and kept in the glove box of my boat.

I have hit a few with a wrist rocket and they disappear, but even if you miss them and the ball falls in close range, it has the same effect as hitting them. They go away and fast.
ifish member #3
So what I say is the gospel.
30pound-tasty-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #156
biofisher
Steelhead

How about using those clay balls they use for hydroponic medium? Real inexpensive. May be too light, however. Glass marbles seem like a reasonable option. I don't think its ever wrong to be concerned about putting something in the environment that wasn't there in the first place. Sometimes the concern isn't justified, however, its a good approach to trying to reduce our footprint. The reason lead shot for waterfowl hunting was banned was the accumulation of lead pellets in shallow water which were ingested by waterfowl when feeding. Lead is especially toxic to birds because of their unique digestive system. Can we really be sure that those of us that hunt have never been affected by accidental ingestion of lead? Lead is bad stuff. Cancer kills a lot of people in this world and we still don't know what causes most of it. Multiple relatively non-toxic chemicals sometimes act synergistically resulting in higher toxicity.
biofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #157
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Would be awesome to have a season opened up and just shoot the damn things with a 12ga slug
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #158
Scott Riggen
Steelhead

Jawbreakers....
Scott Riggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #159
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Just about anything is legal that doesn't break the skin. Which makes me wonder???? The state used to brand them, that left some serious marks on their skin. Why didn't the Feds throw ODFW employees in jail? What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. I hate a double standard.

I found out that whacking one in the side of the head with a 2X2 will not get you jail time.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #160
JerryOFF
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Just about anything is legal that doesn't break the skin. Which makes me wonder???? The state used to brand them, that left some serious marks on their skin. Why didn't the Feds throw ODFW employees in jail? What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. I hate a double standard.

I found out that whacking one in the side of the head with a 2X2 will not get you jail time.
That's a damn good point about the branding.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #161
uhmw
King Salmon

Ok if a fisherman is incapable of using a rifled shot gun to fire rubberized buck shot then let the coast guard and local law enforcement loose on the problem with lease than lethal deterrent. Call it terrorism practice. Pull up to the dock an start unloading 12 gage rubberized bullets on their hide and problem solved. The 12 Gage AK 47 fitted with a belt feed mounted off the top of a zodiac would send the unwelcome message.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #162
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Rubber buckshot is legal.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #163
Modest_Man
Tuna!

Quote:

It takes a lot of paperwork and permits to be able to brand (or haze) sea lions.

I'm not sure what you mean about a double standard. It's comparing apples to oranges. Maybe tongue in cheek?

Last edited by Modest_Man; 04-05-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Modest_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #164
bbaley
Steelhead

Location: a constant state of panic that I am missing the bite somewhere
Default Re: The OFFICIAL Seal and Sea Lion thread. 2016

It seems funny to me, that everyone has the opinion that we must do something to or about the Sea Lions.

It is funny for a number of reasons, but the three that stand out to me the most are;

1. We/Man has an absolute HORRIBLE track record of doing anything remotely successful when it comes to managing "wildlife". just consider your opinion on how the ODFW or ad lib your agency here _______ have done.

2. The Seal Lions are doing nothing different that humans (or Cormorants, et al) would do. Use resources at their disposal to further their survival.

3. The most likely reasons for the change in their behavior (as we see it) is most directly attributed to changes WE have made and are making.

Yet, the bulk of everything I hear and read is "kill em all" and "do something to/about them"

It's not normal or natural you say. Well, is our attempt at modifying their behavior or where they can or cannot eat natural ?

I understand that many people consider humans as more important than any other animal and therefore somehow we are the de facto managers and stewards of everything non-human. I don't agree but I acknowledge it is pervasive.

Which, might be an argument if there was ever, just once, in the history of man an example of our managing "animals" in a way that benefited them and not us.

Do I hunt? yes. Do I kill a few fish per year? yes. but I do not pretend I am capable or endowed with the ability to manage an entire species based liking one over the other because of my needs.

According to this ideal, I should be able to scare you out of the grocery store, or even shoot you because you are about to but the carrots I want to buy.

Yes, that is a philosophical view of it but it is not too far from the reality of it.

Anyway.
I held on to my .02 for a while and finally typed it out.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #165
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Default Re: The OFFICIAL Seal and Sea Lion thread. 2016

I don't know, seems like we managed sea lions into an over abundance. Maybe we can manage one thing, it's the multiple where the scale gets out of balance.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #166
Smokey360
Chromer

Default Sea lion 1 - jet ski 0

Oregon City sea lion takes a break from salmon dinner to flip over man's jet ski
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-cit...tte_falls.html
Smokey360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #167
fishinman
Tuna!

Default Re: Sea lion 1 - jet ski 0

only a matter of time until somebody gets mauled.

fishinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #168
10-7
Tuna!

As soon as a politicians kid gets hurt or killed maybe something will get done. I'm glad there OK if I was dad I would be a lot more ticked off.
10-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #169
flatman
King Salmon

finally there is something in common with the sea lions. they dont like them things either.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #170
roosevelt
King Salmon

the sealion was probably mad that springer season closed....they don't have ifish accounts to complain with.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #171
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:

they still brand them, I think every year on Rogue reef. we just need to talk them into branding them on the head, and leave the branding iron on there a little longer

I had a big female stellar swimming around me the other day that was branded, I thought "how embarrassing"
Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #172
Wintu
Ifish Nate

Maybe the person on a personal watercraft was in his domain? being that this sea lion has only been here a few thousand years before man/women.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #173
jordanb38
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintu View Post
Maybe the person on a personal watercraft was in his domain? being that this sea lion has only been here a few thousand years before man/women.
Lol you are a gem!

Sea lions werent in the willamette 15 years ago in any numbers let alone thousands of years.

You are the exact reason everyone hates what this website turned into...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
jordanb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:44 AM   #174
bradly11
King Salmon

Hmmm.
They spent an hour following sealions with their jet ski.
Almost sounds like harassment and retaliation.

And just so things don't get misconstrued, I support a season on sealions
bradly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #175
flatman
King Salmon

i might be wrong on this but i believe lewis and clark wrote about sealions up at the falls.

i am also sorry this site has gone so far downhill because some have humor and some dont want to kill anything that is in their way of bringing home a fish.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #176
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-7 View Post
As soon as a politicians kid gets hurt or killed maybe something will get done. I'm glad there OK if I was dad I would be a lot more ticked off.
They chased sea lions for over an hour and had the engine turned off because they were so close they didn't want to "disturb" the animals. Why should he be "ticked off" when he was obviously seeking a close encounter of the fish breath kind?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #177
spinner53
Ifish Nate

Sure wish that tribe would resurrect that tradition of killing and skinning sea lions like they used back in 1500 ?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #178
fish4brains
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinman View Post
only a matter of time until somebody gets mauled.

People shouldn't get that close.
fish4brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #179
fishinman
Tuna!

Default Sea lion 1 - jet ski 0

When one grab somebody off a dock or grab their hand while in their boat is what I meant
We need to make them afraid of humans again

Last edited by fishinman; 04-11-2016 at 07:28 AM.
fishinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #180
Corvallis-Corky
Chromer

The way some fishermen demonize sea lions is downright laughable.

One could even make a pretty good argument that we should stop fishing so that the sea lions can take their share without damaging the fish population. The sea lions were there first and depend on the salmon to survive, not just for recreation. Not that I want this, but if you put it to a vote with the general public, I wonder what you would see?

Most people complaining are concerned purely about fish on the end of their line. Lets not pretend they attack people all the time or that you are worried they will wipe out the salmon...
Corvallis-Corky is offline   Reply With Quote