IFish Fishing Forum banner

Salty Dog Tech Tips!

182K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  ginger1977 
#1 ·
In an effort to free up pinned topic space, I am combining all tech tips previously pinned to the top, linked into this post, and moving the originals to the "Tech Tips and Keepers" board.

Please know that these topics will still come up on a search, here on salty dogs, and if you wish to discuss them further, you may do it either on the salty dogs forum, or on tech tips... either way.

I feel like the entire community can really benefit from the knowledge of you salty dogs, and I hope you don't mind sharing a bit!

Thank you!

Jen

How to bait a hook, commercial style (herring) By Mark Mc

A good float plan may save your life. By Serious Fun

Releasing Canarys or Yelloweyes

Pilar's Topics that have been made permanent. By Pilar

Handlines

Tuna Gear Handlines

Tuna Pictorial

Tuna Clone Rigging

See less See more
Reactions: BlueWing Fishing
#2 ·
Courtesy of Megabites
I just got done rigging a bunch of clones and thought I would share with you how I was taught to do these. There have been alot of rigging question lately so I figured it would be good timing.

First is the line of choice. I prefer the Jinkai Line over the Ande. It seems to hold up better and I like the smoke blue color. I use 250# line as we prefer to grab the leader and pull our tuna in instead of gaffing them. This works well on tuna under 30#. Much less blood in the boat.

I prefer to crimp my tuna gear. Jinkai provides crimps for their line. There is a chart to match the size of crimp to the line and also show you what notch on your crimpers should be used. Sizes G&H for the 250# Line. One is long and the other is short.

I use a long crimp between the hook and the tuna clone. I like the hook placement better with the long crimp. The hook is attached using these cool little gimbles. Not cheap about $.95 each but a very cool way to attach the hooks. The hooks are Mustand barbless twin tuna hooks size #22. Again I like the placement with this size of hook. The top swivle is a brass swivle attached by a short crimp. Again not cheap. The swivles are $.95 each as well. I should mention that the line and all these parts are availible at Englunds. I have not found this stuff anywhere else as of yet.

The long crimps are crimped three times. Look closely at the picture and you can see them. This also shows how the gimble and hook are attached. Note the tag end of the crimp is cut flush to the crimp. This avoides line from catching under it during a tangle.

Another note on crimps they should be crimped as in the picture below. Wide side of the oval crimped inward. Also notice the size listed on the crimper notch is in the range of the crimps size from the chart. It is hard to see in the pic so you will have to take my word for it.

The next pic show the other end of the leader. Leader length is up to you. I use 4' others I know use up to 6'. The swivle is crimped on using a small crimp. Leave the loop lose enough so the swivel has enough play but not to lose as to allow it to tangle. Use two crimps on the small crimps. Basically crimp end to end on these.

Here is hte finished rig. Another nice thing about this rig is the hook can be quickly changed if needed. Be careful not to over expand the hooks when slipping them on and off the ring. The Mustad hooks are very srtong however so this would be a tough thing to actually do.

They go quick once you do a few. Oh one other tip is to cut the line at a 45 degree angle before sliding through the crimps. It helps them go in easier. Run the line through the crimp and then trim it off at 90 degrees. Slide crimp even to the end of line.

Hit me with any questions and have fun. :cheers:

#6 ·
glad to see a tips/tech post as I would like some advice on locating tuna? I have terrafin and am keeping an eye on temps. after that what else should I look for birds, bait (you guys, ha ha ha) any help would be great
have watched videos,taken charters,read books and herd is all secret and hush hush. don't want to intrude on any secret honey holes yet just looking for advice from those on our coast, who know our waters have fished in close for 2 years and now feel comfortable enough to try a little further out on the right days. thanks for reading and safe fishing
Jason

#8 ·
I like it when you use pictures they say one picture is worth a thousand work I'm not that good at reading anyhow:laugh:

#10 ·
In an effort to free up pinned topic space, I am combining all tech tips previously pinned to the top, linked into this post, and moving the originals to the "Tech Tips and Keepers" board.

Please know that these topics will still come up on a search, here on salty dogs, and if you wish to discuss them further, you may do it either on the salty dogs forum, or on tech tips... either way.

I feel like the entire community can really benefit from the knowledge of you salty dogs, and I hope you don't mind sharing a bit!

Thank you!

Jen
Jennie, you are just doing an excellant job of policing this site. What would we do without your dillegence? Jerry

How to bait a hook, commercial style (herring) By Mark Mc

A good float plan may save your life. By Serious Fun

Releasing Canarys or Yelloweyes

Pilar's Topics that have been made permanent. By Pilar

Handlines

Tuna Gear Handlines

Tuna Pictorial

Tuna Clone Rigging

#12 · (Edited)
For those of you with an IPhone, there is an Application called "Float Plan," which will let you enter all of the relevant information about your vessel, trip, crew and then emails it to one or more person who you select, as well as a copy to yourself. This works right from your phone, so there is no paperwork or hassle.

Cost: $2.99

You can also add a photo so the Coasties know what to look for.

And, You can also save copies of destinations, so you can use them over and over, as often as you go to that particular destination.

Also... if you are in cell range, you can update it as often as you want and email the update to the same people you sent the original to.

Perfect program to get the info to someone who might just care about you.

I love my Iphone/AT&T 3g.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/float-plan-boating-safety/id319952069?mt=8

#13 ·
Last week, we planned for a 14 hr Hali trip that turned into a 20 hr trip. I filed a float plan before we left and emailed it from the iPhone at 3:30am. We were supposed to be back around 7. We knew that wasn't going to happen, so when we got within cell range (pile), I sent an updated plan. No one got worried, and the coasties got to go to sleep, instead of searching for us.

If you have an iPhone, I seriously recommend getting the FP app.

I also recommend a cell phone booster. We get three bars at the pile now.

#17 ·
in an effort to free up pinned topic space, i am combining all tech tips previously pinned to the top, linked into this post, and moving the originals to the "tech tips and keepers" board.

Please know that these topics will still come up on a search, here on salty dogs, and if you wish to discuss them further, you may do it either on the salty dogs forum, or on tech tips... Either way.

I feel like the entire community can really benefit from the knowledge of you salty dogs, and i hope you don't mind sharing a bit!

Thank you!

Jen

how to bait a hook, commercial style (herring) by mark mc

a good float plan may save your life. By serious fun

releasing canarys or yelloweyes

pilar's topics that have been made permanent. By pilar

handlines

tuna gear handlines

tuna pictorial

tuna clone rigging

thank you for sharing

#19 ·
@ tuna killer: Can you crimp the 200# leader instead of tie? Educating myself for tuna and trying to put a tackle checklist and box together.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.