New rod or new reel? Sturgeon fishing - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 11-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Shrek6737
Fry

Default New rod or new reel? Sturgeon fishing

Hi all. I'm looking at getting into sturgeon fishing and quickly realized I probably don't have the proper rod and/or reel. Needless to say I'm looking for a little help on the issue. I have a few rods/reels for trout fishing that I'm sure would not translate to sturgeon fishing. I have the Okuma Tundra that I use for surf/jetty fishing and I am curious if that could be used for bank fishing for sturgeon.

I know bank fishing for sturgeon I'll want to be lobbing 4 to 8 oz plus bait, but the tundra is rated up to 2 3/4oz. Does this mean I need a new pole and reel for sturgeon or am I able to go on the cheep to get into the fishing and just get a new pole or new reel more designed to handle the heavy gear/fish? Anything I get I'd like to be able to use as salmon gear as well.

A local sports store suggested I get the ugly stick big water rated for 40lb line 10oz. I should add that I'm looking to keep to spinning reel if I can so I don't have to learn a new cast type.

Thanks all

Shrek6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
Shrek6737
Fry

Default Re: New rod or new reel? Sturgeon fishing

Maybe a mod could close this I meant to place it in the community forum.
Shrek6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
RB Drifter
Ifish Nate

Default Re: New rod or new reel? Sturgeon fishing

How far are you casting? Are you trying to cast halfway across the Columbia/Willy, or 15’ out? Fishing near other people on the bank?

If your trying to cast 100’ then get as long as you can of a rod. Ugly stick is fine with a Penn reel. You will have plenty of weight so a backlash won’t be a problem. Bait caster would be better than a spinning reel. If you are casting 20’ away a heavy salmon rod will suffice and you can use it for salmon as well. Think a buzz or x11.

If casting near other people you will want to use mono line, or you won’t make many friends. I like to go with my bobber rod loaded with 80lb braid when fishing near plunkers.
RB Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote