Ice Rod Build: A fly rod tip, pool noodle, pen, and a giant Rainbow Trout - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
uplandsandpiper
Ifish Nate

Default Ice Rod Build: A fly rod tip, pool noodle, pen, and a giant Rainbow Trout

Ice rods are hard to come by in the PNW so I figured why not try building one from a few simple materials. This ice rod comes complete with a spring bobber and was put to the test on a fat Rainbow Trout and passed with flying colors.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Default Re: Ice Rod Build: A fly rod tip, pool noodle, pen, and a giant Rainbow Trout

I have made a few using broken rods as well. FishUSA has some pretty nice sensitive short ice fishing rods like the HT Enterprises Ice Blue line (18 inches and longer) with spring bobber like tip for under $10. The four I have were shipped from those folks in a short tube I think. Yesterday up on Diamond Lake my only fish was on one of those 24 inch rods... a nice 13 inch Tiger Trout,,,that went back to hunt for Tui Chub and shiners.
Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote