AFib Surgery Today - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Angler's Chapel

Old 07-09-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Default AFib Surgery Today

Surgery slated for this morning to take care of this AFib condition I've been afflicted with. Not the typical catheter abalasion but one that is done inside the chest cavity and surrounding the heart using a radio frequency to create scare tissue inside the heart to prevent the electrical signals that are the cause for this condition. Should be a resident at the hospital for at least three days and perhaps longer. I sure would appreciate any thoughts and prayers for those so inclined. I admit to being somewhat nervous but I do have confidence in the doctor. The procedure where this is done has a 99% success rate. The other one percent was discounted due to the rare occasion the instruments used damage the heart wall. Then they need to open up the chest to make repairs. Sure hope I'm not in that 1%. TIA

Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
dog
Steelhead

Default Re: AFib Surgery Today

Good Luck and prayers both. You will be feeling better after this for sure.......
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
blackdog
Sturgeon

Good luck and prayers sent up for you. I've been suffering from afib for a while now as well and ablation was one of the treatments discussed for down the road if medication doesn't help the situation (which it's not at all yet).

Hope to hear of a full and speedy recovery soon.
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
Williams
Ifish Nate

I’am not a praying man but I sure wish you all the luck.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Finn, just saw this. Hope it went better than expected. You have both my prayers and my best thoughts that you got the needed relief.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
Hawgbuster
Steelhead

My son had this done when he was an 8-grader. Scary, but great results. I am sure you can do this just fine.

Take care.
Hawgbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Finn, how are you doing? Hope it went great.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
HarvestNFaith
Coho

Hope all went well and you have a healing recovery
HarvestNFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Well, no computing while in recovery. I finally got my get of jail free card yesterday. Surgery went very well but my heart had an issue that will require being smacked back into compliance. I learned Friday morning around 12 am that I had no more afib but another chamber in the heart was in a flutter stage. Doctors plan was to keep me on IV therapy for 24 hours and if that didn't work they would do what is called an cardio ablation which is simply a shock treatment. Ended up with the shock treatment but that required another 18 to 24 hours in the hospital to monitor those results. Doc came into my room yesterday morning and said he was satisfied the flutter was gone and ordered release papers. So glad to be home.
The whole experience was not one I would like to do again. I have some much bruising from needle pocks and failed IV drip station installations I'm more tender there than the sites they used as surgery tool entrance points.
So enough complaining. I'm thankful this session in life is quickly moving on and that I had the resources and medical staff talent to get me where I am. Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. I have absolutely no doubt things would have been different otherwise.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Wow, Finn, sorry it didn't go more smoothly, but glad you are out of jail. I, too, have had the bad luck with IVs. Sure seems to add insult to injury when a guy is already pretty keyed up ...
Old 07-16-2019, 04:11 AM   #11
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Wow, Finn, sorry it didn't go more smoothly, but glad you are out of jail. I, too, have had the bad luck with IVs. Sure seems to add insult to injury when a guy is already pretty keyed up ...
Thanks and you can say that again. I've tried to count the # of IV efforts. If not mistaken between the surgery and after care I had at a minimum 10 IV shunts, of which 4 failed within the first few minutes and a couple within an hour or so. Couple those with other meds no less than 35 pokes in my arms. Part of the problem is my veins are what they referred to as runners. They would see a needle coming and want to play dodge ball.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Finn-icky: Just saw this. Great you made it over the hump. Hope this gives you long term relief. Will talk about this proceedure next time I see Dr. Mine is controlled with meds but I don't like pills.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:19 AM   #13
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Finn-icky: Just saw this. Great you made it over the hump. Hope this gives you long term relief. Will talk about this proceedure next time I see Dr. Mine is controlled with meds but I don't like pills.
Thanks. I am feeling much better but until I get off the post operation meds it has been a slow journey. The pills have been more of an issue for me than healing after the surgery. You may know this already but if not there are not a bunch of options as I have been told. Control as you do with meds., shock treatment (my first lasted about 2 weeks), catheter ablation (still may need to do if it returns) or the ablation method I had. I guess one more. Live with it and risk a stroke.
Good luck with your doctor but unless he or she is a heart professional they may want to refer you to one. I would suggest that regardless, but thats just my
Old 08-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Finn: I've got a very good heart Dr. Yea, not many options. My shock treatments last from 6 months to a year. Sometimes it would fix its self, no shock. One time I walked into the ER and sat down at the desk. Person starts to ask me stuff and I said, never mind, I'm fine and left. I don't think they ever saw that before.

Your personal experience is always worth more than two cents.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #15
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Finn: I've got a very good heart Dr. Yea, not many options. My shock treatments last from 6 months to a year. Sometimes it would fix its self, no shock. One time I walked into the ER and sat down at the desk. Person starts to ask me stuff and I said, never mind, I'm fine and left. I don't think they ever saw that before.

Your personal experience is always worth more than two cents.
Yeh this afib is a strange condition. I saw the doctor yesterday and have been released from all but one medication now which I can dispose of it in one month. He did caution afib may show again and if so simply get an EKG sent to him for further treatment requirements which likely would be a clean up catheter ablasion.