Prop on a Grady white? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 09-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Default Prop on a Grady white?

I got a Yamaha 250 on a Grady White 228 seafarer with an offshore bracket.

Boat runs great once up on plane but takes too long to get on plane. My Whaler had the same engine and would jump on step.

The current stainless prop is a 17x 15 and 1/2. Do I need more pitch? If so where's the best place to buy a stainless prop near Portland OR?

Also any advice on trim tabs? I typically have motor trim all the way down and trim tabs down on start to keep nose down and push to get on plane fast??

Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
bolen05
Chromer

What is your RPM at WOT with the prop you have now? I had a 228 with with a honda 225hp and it wasn’t exactly quick out of the hole either. The Grady’s are heavy and sit low.

Last edited by bolen05; 09-03-2019 at 06:58 PM.
bolen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Tinman

Default Re: Prop on a Grady white?

Might the boat be stern-heavy?
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
Hockinson man
Tuna!

I think I found the answer. The specs call for 17x15 and 1/2 prop and WOT is 5500 with Yamaha 250.
Talked with Grady and they said it's got a Gill bracket. That bracket will sometimes have drain plugs that go bad. Water in the bracket?? I have plug and gasket on the way. My plan is to open the access hatch in bracket if there's water I have my answer. If so I change the drain and marine silicon the heck out of the access hatch. Hopefully find a 6" O ring if the access hatch ring is bad. I'm confident that's where the water gets in. The boat is immaculant but a 2001.
The bracket is a Gill bracket. He retired and Grady went with Armstrong another good bracket. With Gill you just have to find parts. Grady had excellent customer service.

Probably get another SS prop once I figure out the riddle just to have spare. Where's the best deal on stainless props near Portland OR?

Gotta get this small issues resolved.. Tuna are close!!
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
MattPark
King Salmon

We still don't know what your WOT rpms are, so it's hard for anyone to guess. I suspect your WOT rpm numbers are at or below 5500, which is low if you are looking for good out of the hole performance.

I have a Yamaha SWS II 15.5X15" prop you can try if you would like. It's basically one size down in pitch from what you have, which I'm guessing is the direction you need to go.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
Garthbrow
Chromer

I just bought a new SS Solas prop from proppellerdepot.com best deal I could find .
Garthbrow is offline   Reply With Quote