Knot to swim bait and iron - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 09-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
newportfisher
Tuna!

Default Knot to swim bait and iron

What knots are you all tying from your mono or floro to your swim baits? Also, with iron, are you tying directly to the jig or to a snap of some sort?

Thanks as always!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Default Re: Knot to swim bait and iron

I use a San Diego Jam Knot for mono or fluoro connections of all types (dead bait hooks, X-Raps, Jigs, Swivels). Here is a link to learn this knot:

https://www.animatedknots.com/san-diego-jam-knot

Note, I use 5 turns for 30 - 50# line, the author suggests 3 turns for 40# but this is not typical of most Tuna fishermen and how they tie this knot.

I never use a snap or swivel to my jig, personal preference I guess.

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Same as Sun Dog. Anything that goes on the end of the line/leader gets that knot. Number of wraps depends on strength of line. Given a choice, I’d rather use some sort of end loop on anything that wiggles or bait hooks.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Fisher Dude
Steelhead

Palomar for me, quick and easy to tie. No problems yet
Old 09-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
pirk fan
Tuna!

Uniknot. Mono, fluoro, braid, fireline, main line to leader with a double uni….works for everything
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

I'm a palomar fan. Tough on some of the larger lures since you have to loop around it.

Rolled the dice with a uni knot on Monday and lost an X-Rap. Oops.
Bobber Downey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
Don Fischer
King Salmon

San Deigo Jam Knot. That's a new one on me. There are a bunch of different knot's all of which work well. Palomar knot is good as any, I use it some. Not sure what the rest are called. I think the one I use most is called a cinch knot, not sure. Yea I think that's it. they have what they call the improved cinch knot. I used to use it but finally decided it didn't do a anything the regular knot wouldn't do! Saw another new way for I think they called it a cinch knot. Good for tying on leader to a hook before you attach the leader to the main line. Faster but I don't see an advantage to it. Somebody should make a book or video with all the different type's knot's in it, probably make a fortune!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Chukarhead
Chromer

For iron, I'm tying mono or flouro directly to the welded ring with a Trilene/improved Trilene knot, but mostly because that muscle memory goes back 35 years. Uni is a solid choice, as is San Diego Jam and countless others. Ditto for swimbaits that I'm trolling.

For swimbaits I'm casting, I use a non-slip loop. I'll use this for live/dead bait hooks without rings, too. For ringed hooks, palomar for light line, knots listed above for heavier line.

The only extra snaps or swivels that I usually use are on trolling rigs to snap to rigged clone or cedar plug leaders.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
Go-Long
Chromer

For me it has been the Rapala knot for many years. I have always wanted the action of the bait so swim baits and iron get the Rapala knot. I typically use 40 or 50lb floro as my top shot for tuna depending on bite. Can honestly say I have yet to lose any iron or swim bait using this knot. Only caveat is like any other knot you check it after landing a fish.
Go-Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Dude View Post
Palomar for me, quick and easy to tie. No problems yet
Ditto.

Single main, no kicker.
Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
biofisher
Steelhead

CHeck out the chain knot. Havent tried it myself but seems like it is probably the best in terms of strength. I love the simplicity of the palomar.
biofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
Nalu
King Salmon

Jansik/ryoshi knot has been my go-to for flouro now for quite awhile. Tied correctly it’s bomb proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody can catch a tuna in '07

By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea. They, as He, are mightier than me. - M.J.
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
SeaBush
Steelhead

I have changed knots a few times trying to find my favorites, this is where I landed.

We built a knot tester so that we could find out if one knot was Superior to another

Braid to fluoro, FG knot has the smallest and easiest through the guides plus it's the strongest of the knots I tested. Has a learning curve but there is a fairly simple way to tie it if you Google around you can find it. It's far superior to the Albright, which I used to tie.

Mono or fluoro to a ring, Palomar for ease, strength, size. I prefer it over San Diego jam which I used to use.

For tieing a fixed loop in fluoro, perfection loop is my fav. I tie it by making the loops and laying the line in-between while pinching the whole thing, ties easy and is strong.

CB

SeaBush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #14
fishin
Steelhead

A wetted cinch knot has worked fine for me for our fish here. Iron, I tie knot to a solid ring, which connects to line, assist hooks and split ring connected to iron.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #15
sprigdog
Chromer

A simple double clinch knot has never, ever failed me. Also love a Palomar.
sprigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #16
The Overfishin Condition
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Downey Jr. View Post
I'm a palomar fan. Tough on some of the larger lures since you have to loop around it.

Rolled the dice with a uni knot on Monday and lost an X-Rap. Oops.

How many wraps do you do?

I use a ton of uni knots and have never had a failure!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #17
roosevelt
King Salmon

I tie the john Collins for any splice (mono to flouro in heavier lines I do 4 wraps up, then 3 back down rather than 5 and 5, and a pitzen on the business end)
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:22 AM   #18
Foreel
Tuna!

Yucatan knot..by far the easiest on the fly...10 second knot..
Foreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #19
mAdSEAsoN
Cutthroat

Uni for mono and palomar for braid
mAdSEAsoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #20
Tesoro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAdSEAsoN View Post
Uni for mono and palomar for braid
x2
Tesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #21
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dog View Post
I use a San Diego Jam Knot for mono or fluoro connections of all types (dead bait hooks, X-Raps, Jigs, Swivels).

Same here... San Diego jam is a 95% strength knot that is quick to tie and works very well for heavier mono. I find that on heavier (40 and 50#) mono and flouro, 4 or 5 wraps work best.

I like the palomar as well, but it gets to a little challenging to tie with heavier leader material and larger lures.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #22
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeweight View Post
Same here... San Diego jam is a 95% strength knot that is quick to tie and works very well for heavier mono. I find that on heavier (40 and 50#) mono and flouro, 4 or 5 wraps work best.

I like the palomar as well, but it gets to a little challenging to tie with heavier leader material and larger lures.
I have zero problems tying the Palomar with 60# mono. Bigger lures can be harder, but for swimbaits, no worries. But, I use straight 25# mono on my Squidders for swimbaits and jigs. I need a few more jigs. Has anybody tried diamond jigs for tuna?

Single main, no kicker.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #23
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

Not an issue with swim baits, but try tying a palomar to the welded ring of a 6-8" long butterfly jig. The ring is connected to a split ring that is then connected to the jig, and designed to allow the jig to pivot and shift freely. You end up holding on to the mainline while trying to pass a giant loop around the jig which is swinging around like crazy if it's a choppy ocean. It works, but it takes time and you end up with a big chunk of wasted flouro or mono from the tag end.

I use the palomar all the time on lighter lines/smaller lures, live bait hooks, and to connect braid to bead chains for salmon.

I had had good success with the very small Williamson "Gomoku" diamond jigs in anchovy or pink/silver colors. They work very well late in season when the fish are surface feeding but get spooky about larger gear. The Shimano sniper jigs in blue/pink/silver are fished similarly and have also been super effective.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #24
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Not an issue with swim baits, but try tying a palomar to the welded ring of a 6-8" long butterfly jig. The ring is connected to a split ring that is then connected to the jig, and designed to allow the jig to pivot and shift freely. You end up holding on to the mainline while trying to pass a giant loop around the jig which is swinging around like crazy if it's a choppy ocean. It works, but it takes time and you end up with a big chunk of wasted flouro or mono from the tag end.

I use the palomar all the time on lighter lines/smaller lures, live bait hooks, and to connect braid to bead chains for salmon.

I had had good success with the very small Williamson "Gomoku" diamond jigs in anchovy or pink/silver colors. They work very well late in season when the fish are surface feeding but get spooky about larger gear. The Shimano sniper jigs in blue/pink/silver are fished similarly and have also been super effective.
I'm curious about rockfish jigs. I have 4 oz molds for both diamond and flutter jigs, so I can make them for pennies. Not paying $15 for a jig. I'd just use a Palomar to a snap swivel. Easy change out.

Single main, no kicker.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #25
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

The palomar knot looses strength in testing on heavier mono and floro from my experience. Doesn't matter too much with albacore on 30#+ leader really but if you hook something big or Target bigger fish you'll eventually be sorry. Great for braid though.

Last edited by Quiet Riot; 09-09-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
The palomar knot looses strength in testing on heavier mono and floro from my experience. Doesn't matter too much with albacore on 30#+ leader really but if you hook something big or Target bigger fish you'll eventually be sorry. Great for braid though.
Do you have data on that? I have never heard about knot strength varying by material or line weight. I thought the Palomar was 100%.

Single main, no kicker.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #27
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Do you have data on that? I have never heard about knot strength varying by material or line weight. I thought the Palomar was 100%.
Yup. It would break at the knot about 5-10lbs less than others I tried with 40+ floro. I've been testing knots quite a bit and starting drags with scales for the last couple years due to pushing things harder with so cal trips and a few bigger fish hooked up here.

For albies it probably doesn't matter, breaks usually occur due to sharks or frayed line in my experience there. On 30# test it was statistically the same as sdj, doubled eye improved clinch, etc. A quick consistent tied knot is probably more important for albies here though.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #28
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Yup. It would break at the knot about 5-10lbs less than others I tried with 40+ floro. I've been testing knots quite a bit and starting drags with scales for the last couple years due to pushing things harder with so cal trips and a few bigger fish hooked up here.

For albies it probably doesn't matter, breaks usually occur due to sharks or frayed line in my experience there. On 30# test it was statistically the same as sdj, doubled eye improved clinch, etc. A quick consistent tied knot is probably more important for albies here though.
Thanks. I'd like to test 25#, 40#, 50# and 60# mono, but I only have a spring scale. I would guess that this has been done, though. I'll snoop around and post up if I find anything interesting. I don't use fluorocarbon.

Single main, no kicker.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
Teton
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
Jansik/ryoshi knot has been my go-to for flouro now for quite awhile. Tied correctly it’s bomb proof.

I’ll look that one up.

I’m a SD Jamb and Trilene knot guy.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #30
Nalu
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton View Post
I’ll look that one up.

I’m a SD Jamb and Trilene knot guy.

That is the knot I showed you at the Saltwater Show a couple years back. We put the SD Jamb and Ryoshi on the knot breaking machine and tested them. They both broke basically at the roughly the same pull lbs.

By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea. They, as He, are mightier than me. - M.J.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #31
ron m
King Salmon

I found this for the Jansik knot compared to another knot, also saw two versions of how to tie the Jansik knot. This one goes thru the eye of the hook twice, the other went thru 3 times - which might be tough to do with some of the line and hooks I use. This is a comparison of the jansik and the "eye crosser knot" - which won this battle of the Knot Wars.

There sure are lots of knots on the web and some interesting sites that show how to tie them. I've found several versions of how to tie many knots.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #32
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I'm curious about rockfish jigs. I have 4 oz molds for both diamond and flutter jigs, so I can make them for pennies. Not paying $15 for a jig. I'd just use a Palomar to a snap swivel. Easy change out.
They do different things. Butterfly (or knife) jigs are designed to fall very, very fast despite being fairly light, so that they can get down to 150' or more in a few seconds. You can use a light jig and get down to a school of tuna that are 100+ feet under the boat, even in a stiff wind. They are fished by ripping them up through the water column with an erratic pattern that provokes reaction strikes. Flutter jigs are designed to fall slowly, so it's a little harder to effectively fish the same depths (especially when there is wind), and the tuna have a lot more time to give them the hairy eyeball before trying to eat one.

Diamond jigs work better for getting down quickly, but they have worked better for me cast out towards surface feeding fish than dropped down deep. The tail wiggle they have doesn't compare to the bonkers zig zag the butterfly jigs have.

You can catch tuna on all of them, but the butterfly jigs action and intended depth/use is very different than the other two. You also can't use it with a swivel, as it introduces 2 new pivot points that interfere with the jigs action on the retrieve.

Last edited by Threeweight; 09-10-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #33
gaulpst
Cutthroat

Orvis knot!
gaulpst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:32 AM   #34
Chesapeake
King Salmon

I’ll have to revisit the jansik. In the past I’ve not used it due to looks.
I like knots that stack clean so you can easily tell they are correct.
Same reason I don’t use the San Diego jam, it looks like someone messed up a clinch.
For braid I use the trilene (grew up calling it a 2 wrap clinch) but I double the line before starting the knot. The only knot I’ve tested stronger was to shield the braid with hollow Dacron and then tie about any knot.

Yes, knot strength varies with material and size. No knot is 100%.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #35
Califbill
Chromer

The San Diego on jigs. It is close to a Cinch knot in reverse. Easy to tie a jig on in a crowded, rocking boat. The hanging jig gives the weight to hold 5e line straight while tiring the knot. Paloma on most hooks, unless heavy mono. Will use the cinch or SD knot then. That is 50# and above mono on my topshots. Which I use in San Diego waters.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #36
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
They do different things. Butterfly (or knife) jigs are designed to fall very, very fast despite being fairly light, so that they can get down to 150' or more in a few seconds. You can use a light jig and get down to a school of tuna that are 100+ feet under the boat, even in a stiff wind. They are fished by ripping them up through the water column with an erratic pattern that provokes reaction strikes. Flutter jigs are designed to fall slowly, so it's a little harder to effectively fish the same depths (especially when there is wind), and the tuna have a lot more time to give them the hairy eyeball before trying to eat one.

Diamond jigs work better for getting down quickly, but they have worked better for me cast out towards surface feeding fish than dropped down deep. The tail wiggle they have doesn't compare to the bonkers zig zag the butterfly jigs have.

You can catch tuna on all of them, but the butterfly jigs action and intended depth/use is very different than the other two. You also can't use it with a swivel, as it introduces 2 new pivot points that interfere with the jigs action on the retrieve.
Got It. Thanks. I'm likely just going to cast to surface fish or throw them in after a troll hookup. I imagine the flutter jig will be fine.

Single main, no kicker.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #37
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Chesapeake: Maybe you’re attempting too many wraps with the SDJ? For 10 lb. Steelhead fishing, I use five. For salmon with 30 and 40 lb., three or four. The weak point in any knot is where it goes around the eye or if wraps overlap each other.

Technically, we shouldn’t be stressing knots with drag setting too tight for the lb. test. That’s why so many different knots do an adequate job and one knot doesn’t stand out above the others. Match the lb. test to the job and call it good by using a knot with a proven track record.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #38
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I found a couple of links. Interesting:

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...-palomar-knot/

The second link shows how FC chafes.

Single main, no kicker.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #39
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Chesapeake: Maybe you’re attempting too many wraps with the SDJ? For 10 lb. Steelhead fishing, I use five. For salmon with 30 and 40 lb., three or four.
What he said, 4 wraps on 25-50# mono and flouro material is plenty. I find my SDJ knots also cinch down a little more neatly with a generous helping of spit and a little pull to the tag end with my teeth as I pull the lure and leader in opposite directions. If you don't do that with the tag end, the wraps will loosen up and tend to jumble up.

SDJ's get weak and fail when you don't lube the knot enough, or if you end up with a mess or wraps all out of order. As with all knots, always good to test them with tug or two before you put them into use.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #40
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Threeweight: Yea, I forgot the pull on the tag end. Gotta make the wraps tight so leave plenty of length on the tag end to pull on. Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #41
C-Lark
Chromer

I gotta offer the Springer knot. It's not well known, but it's simple, strong, and will not slip. Here's a link to the U-Tube video.

J.

C-Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #42
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lark View Post
I gotta offer the Springer knot. It's not well known, but it's simple, strong, and will not slip. Here's a link to the U-Tube video.

J.

John Collins on how to tie the Springer knot. - YouTube
I've been using that on terminal gear with a mono topshot.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #43
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
I found a couple of links. Interesting:

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...-palomar-knot/

Why Your Palomar Fishing Knot Breaks! - YouTube

The second link shows how FC chafes.
The problems I've found by relying on all these prostaff type videos of knots and testing them are it's not real world from my experience. Some knots aren't easily tied on bouncing ocean boat, like a live bait hook needs to be. Another is they don't compare the lines I use such as floro from 25# to 100# like I use daily. One knot for bass fishing with 20# doesn't really mean anything to me when I don't use that line at all. Last thing is most anytime someone takes the time to make a video showing their way is best it usually has something to do with all the sponsors on their shirt paying for their time or gear.

Testing in my garage the way I tie the knot makes it easy to know what really works for me. Set the drag with a scale to 33% of the leader breaking strength and I've got a pretty reliable setup, unless I'm getting spooled by unknown Mr big

I also can only remember about 2-3 knots, so if I learn a new one it's gotta be pretty universal because I surely forgot how to tie the last one when I learned the new one.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #44
Chesapeake
King Salmon

Quote:
What he said, 4 wraps on 25-50# mono and flouro material is plenty. I find my SDJ knots also cinch down a little more neatly with a generous helping of spit and a little pull to the tag end with my teeth as I pull the lure and leader in opposite directions. If you don't do that with the tag end, the wraps will loosen up and tend to jumble up.

SDJ's get weak and fail when you don't lube the knot enough, or if you end up with a mess or wraps all out of order. As with all knots, always good to test them with tug or two before you put them into use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Chesapeake: Maybe you’re attempting too many wraps with the SDJ? For 10 lb. Steelhead fishing, I use five. For salmon with 30 and 40 lb., three or four. The weak point in any knot is where it goes around the eye or if wraps overlap each other.

Technically, we shouldn’t be stressing knots with drag setting too tight for the lb. test. That’s why so many different knots do an adequate job and one knot doesn’t stand out above the others. Match the lb. test to the job and call it good by using a knot with a proven track record.

Its not that the knot fails or the wraps don't stack neatly. Its that tag end section that runs up the outside of the knot and then under a wrap.
It just looks wrong. It looks like someone screwed up tying a cinch.
I understand its a personal hang up. I'm fine with that.

I have the same dislike of all the half hitch mess on top of the FG knot. Some day I'll get board and work out a clean finish for that knot.

Deck boss on "J4".
Old 09-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #45
Chesapeake
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lark View Post

J.

John Collins on how to tie the Springer knot. - YouTube

He just tied a Jansik but didn't know the name.

Deck boss on "J4".
Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #46
Nalu
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
He just tied a Jansik but didn't know the name.

Funny. Yes, that 2 loop, 2 loop Jansik is what I have been using for quite some time. I found it on a Japanese jigging board and there it was named the Ryoshi.

Super fast and easy in the heat of the battle.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #47
wdlfbio
Tuna!

Flatfalls and flatsides get an improved clinch (4-5 wraps) tied to the split ring or welded ring. 40-50# fluorocarbon
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #48
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Chesapeake.... Gotcha, I feel the same way. Just had to train myself not to worry about it. If I actually needed a compact knot, I wouldn’t hesitate to find something else.

The one knot I have trouble with is the Palomar. I’d really like to watch an expert tie one and coach me. I find them difficult to pull tight no matter how much slobber I use.

One thing that makes knots so much better these days is the lines themselves being so much better than when I was a kid.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #49
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:

I have the same dislike of all the half hitch mess on top of the FG knot. Some day I'll get board and work out a clean finish for that knot.
I agree re: the half hitch to finish the FG knot. I found this and really like how this method finishes the knot.
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #50
Chesapeake
King Salmon

Palomar you have to play careful and before it’s cinched hard pull the tag and main a bit separate to get them evened out. Otherwise you get one loop that’s loose and then doesn’t stack right when you tighten.
Doesn’t seem to effect strength.

Deck boss on "J4".
Old 09-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #51
Chesapeake
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron m View Post
Quote:

I agree re: the half hitch to finish the FG knot. I found this and really like how this method finishes the knot.
I’ve finished them with a whip finish (rizzuto). It needs another on the main line as a sort of ramp for the knot. Like how the half hitches go on both and then just the main.

In that video it looked like he needed the weave section tighter while he was building it.

Deck boss on "J4".
Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #52
get reel
Coho

Polamar on all braid line to small corkscrew swivels on mainline if braided, double improved clinch to mono or fluorocarbon. I use corkscrew and barrel swivels for fast changes to producing colors and lures. Leaders all tied up on 6 to 7 foot fluorocarbon and mcmahon barrel swivels. Always evolving and learning.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #53
NorthRiverRick
Tuna!

You all got me thinking that I needed to waste a bunch of expensive flourocarbon and break some knots.Take a look at this page, I found this after the discussion started. (Ignore the bar graph at the top of the page and scroll down to the data section). https://www.knotsforfishing.com/knot-strength-chart/. I found the column listing fluorocarbon knot strengths on this chart to be accurate, and each knot has a link to tying directions.

Since I just bought two new spools of 30# & 50# Seaguar Blue leader I’d try my own tests, I’m a nerd like that...I tied 30# flouro to two swivels each with a different knot. Hooked one swivel to my berkley digital scale which I keep hooked to my bench for line and knot testing.

Before you even ask, yes every knot had gobs of spit, and yes I made sure they were all tied correctly per the videos suggested and others found online and on the web page above.

The strongest knot for me was indeed the Berkley Braid Knot, but the finished knot was so big and it was so hard to tighten that I’d never consider using it.

The next strongest knot was the eye crosser from Knot Wars and was very close to the triple loop knot (third best). Each are not too hard to tie and tightening is pretty easy.

The Jansik Special was right behind those two and probably the easiest to tie and tighten.

The San Diego Jam knot broke before all of the above and was the biggest surprise to me because this is one that I use.

The worst knot I tested from all of these with the line I used was the Palomar it consistently broke much easier than all of the above.

Try some of these knot to knot tests yourself and see which ones you like best.

I like the triple loop knot because it’s so similar to my favorite mono/flouro knot for steelhead, the Trilene knot. I’ll probably also give the Jansik Special a try on the boat because it’s so easy.

YMMV, Cheers

PS. Wish I were fishing not play in the garage..

Sea Sport 2400

Last edited by NorthRiverRick; 09-12-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added PS
NorthRiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #54
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

Re: the strength of the Jansik and eye crosser vs. SD Jam... part of the difference is the first two are doubled up where they go through the hook eye. There is a similar double version of the SD Jam as well that might be worth testing as well.

Last edited by Threeweight; 09-12-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #55
NorthRiverRick
Tuna!

You’re right, those knots with at least a double line through the eye are much stronger than any of the singles.

I just tried the double SD jam as pictured and it’s up there with Berkeley Braid knot for strength. But, it’s a pain to tie in the 30# flouro I’m using. Like the Berkeley Braid it makes a really big knot and it’s even more difficult to tighten, I had to pull out some tools. I probably wouldn’t select this one for use on the boat either.

By the way, with the 30# Seaguar Blue that I’m using, the strongest knots are breaking about 28.5#-29# according to my ghetto tester. The second tier of knots break right about 1# lower. For ease of tying that’s probably good enough for my tuna lures.

Cheers

Sea Sport 2400
NorthRiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #56
FireHead
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Re: the strength of the Jansik and eye crosser vs. SD Jam... part of the difference is the first two are doubled up where they go through the hook eye. There is a similar double version of the SD Jam as well that might be worth testing as well.

That's what I tie.....
Old 09-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #57
KingSlew
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
Funny. Yes, that 2 loop, 2 loop Jansik is what I have been using for quite some time. I found it on a Japanese jigging board and there it was named the Ryoshi.

Super fast and easy in the heat of the battle.

I really like that knot...
Old 09-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #58
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRiverRick View Post
You all got me thinking that I needed to waste a bunch of expensive flourocarbon and break some knots.Take a look at this page, I found this after the discussion started. (Ignore the bar graph at the top of the page and scroll down to the data section). https://www.knotsforfishing.com/knot-strength-chart/. I found the column listing fluorocarbon knot strengths on this chart to be accurate, and each knot has a link to tying directions.

Since I just bought two new spools of 30# & 50# Seaguar Blue leader I’d try my own tests, I’m a nerd like that...I tied 30# flouro to two swivels each with a different knot. Hooked one swivel to my berkley digital scale which I keep hooked to my bench for line and knot testing.

Before you even ask, yes every knot had gobs of spit, and yes I made sure they were all tied correctly per the videos suggested and others found online and on the web page above.

The strongest knot for me was indeed the Berkley Braid Knot, but the finished knot was so big and it was so hard to tighten that I’d never consider using it.

The next strongest knot was the eye crosser from Knot Wars and was very close to the triple loop knot (third best). Each are not too hard to tie and tightening is pretty easy.

The Jansik Special was right behind those two and probably the easiest to tie and tighten.

The San Diego Jam knot broke before all of the above and was the biggest surprise to me because this is one that I use.

The worst knot I tested from all of these with the line I used was the Palomar it consistently broke much easier than all of the above.

Try some of these knot to knot tests yourself and see which ones you like best.

I like the triple loop knot because it’s so similar to my favorite mono/flouro knot for steelhead, the Trilene knot. I’ll probably also give the Jansik Special a try on the boat because it’s so easy.

YMMV, Cheers

PS. Wish I were fishing not play in the garage..
It would be interesting if the lines included in the test you posted were tested with a strain gauge, no knots. Obviously, most of the mono sold is actually stronger than their nominal rating. 50# Big Game is quite a bit stronger than 50#. Hence IGFA lines. I'm a bit surprised at the Palomar, as my prior reading always stated it was a 100% knot. I'll continue to use it for several reasons: 1) It's very easy to tie. 2) I use heavy enough line that it's not an issue, 25# main line for salmon, 60# on my troll rods. 3) I don't use FC.

Actually, here's exactly what I mentioned above:

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/gall.../11/line-test/

The results would argue that the knot strength numbers in the previous link should be recalculated using the actual instead of the stated tensile strength.

Single main, no kicker.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #59
Nalu
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSlew View Post
I really like that knot...

Me too.

Here's what I have found over the years. Most any good knot won't be the average place of failure. When fishing A LOT, failure is most likely to come from a location where the line has been nicked or abraded. When I lose gear, especially iron or swim baits, it isn't from knot failure, it's because I failed to cut off 2 feet of leader that has been chewed on and get fresh stuff close to the hook.

This is where the Jansik comes into play. It's strong, it works, it's fast, and I can pretty much do it almost without looking. I'm more likely to cut off and retie with a super fast knot.

I don't spend much time analyzing knots, I just like the most efficient one that I can do quickly and doesn't fail in real world applications.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #60
boatman
Tuna!

Does the Jansik work on Braid? All weights?
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote