Alsea hatchery meeting - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Default Alsea hatchery meeting

I really would like to go to this meeting, we have had a lot of threads that centered around the topics of their presentation.
I am not sure how to pull this off, since I will be neglecting the chores Thurs thru Sunday fishing, but I may have to log on another 400 miles to get there Tuesday.

ALSEA, Ore. — The Oregon Hatchery Research Center Board will meet on Tuesday, Sept. 3 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Oregon Hatchery Research Center, 2418 East Fall Creek Road, Alsea.
The agenda includes presentations on research including Recent Ecosystem Disturbance in Northern California Current, Genetics vs. Epigenetics in Hatchery Domestication and discussions about comparative fitness analysis and hatch boxes. The meeting is open to the public and an opportunity for public comment is scheduled.

The OHRC is a cooperative research project between the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and Oregon State University, and the Board advises the OHRC Director on activities and functions related to the operation and maintenance of the OHRC

Last edited by wak'm&stak'm; 08-27-2019 at 06:21 AM.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
ron m
King Salmon

Default Re: Alsea hatchery meeting

Dan, those meeting can have some interesting presentations and I agree that the topics for next Tuesday are interesting and relevant. However, be forewarned that audience participation is not encouraged except during the public comment portion of the agenda.

Too bad you can't stay in Newport thru Tues morning and go to the OHRC on your way south.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

I really don’t want to say anything, but I am sure I would have some questions, just for clarity.
It is just interesting they even mention hatch boxes, I thought that concept with by the wayside decades ago.

I just want to learn more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
ron m
King Salmon

From the meetings I attended some years ago when I was on the OHRC board before it got reconstituted, I can tell you that the scientists don't think the hatchboxes work well or are a good idea. Maybe their opinion has changed, but I doubt that's the case.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Some interesting topics for all of us. Do they make them available electronically?
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Dan,
I'll have to ask our STEP bio tonight about the hatchbox presentation at our fish club meeting this evening. Thanks for posting the note. Our Umpqua Fishermen's Association use to do quite a bit of that stuff...a little before I joined the group. I imagine the presenter has a paper on the talk given. Kinda hot huh?
Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Thanks Paul, I don’t know any of the statistics of hatch boxes, but I would like too.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Snapt
Super Moderator

Hatch boxes sound like a grand idea. However, the research I have read indicates that while egg too fry survival is great the number of returning adults is not. The habitat in stream, estuarine and ocean is the key to increasing returns of adult fish.
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Gotta agree with you Snapt...habitat and ocean conditions play a major role especially for those salmonids who as part of their life cycle have to stay in freshwater jeopardy for a summer or two. Nooks seem to have an easier out...but run the estuary survival gauntlet early on.
So maybe you have a hatchbox in a stream that provides all the vital stuff for survival until they head for the salt; survive the estuary and then out into a the ocean to test their vigor out there; then back with a load of nutrients running the survival gauntlet to sniff out/find their birth water reach... give spawning a shot and then unless you are a steelhead finish their life cycle supporting the reach in which they die. Many ...many, many factors impacting return rates. I imagine in most situations if you build it and water quality is sufficient "they will come"....habitat is essential.

Anyway...it would be good to listen to some of the discussion up there at the hatchery meeting Dan noted.
Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote