Yale 2020 - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 02-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
shanem
Ifish Nate

Default Yale 2020

Noticed there isn’t a thread for Yale for this year. Curious if anyone has been out there recently and has a report?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Angus
Tuna!

Default Re: Yale 2020

I was headed to Merwin this morning (solo) and saw the mess at the launch and aborted that for Yale, I should have aborted Yale when I pulled in and only saw 6 or 7 rigs in the lot.
Fished about 4 hours for 6-7 drive-by's, brought 2 to the boat that were about 9-10 inches that came off, which I didn't mind. Saw a couple caught and they weren't any bigger then what I had.
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
shanem
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the report Scott. Melissa and I chased steelhead this weekend and it was a zoo there too. As we got to the river I thought, maybe we should have chased Kokes today but sounds like after the month of rain everyone decided they were fishing no matter where it was. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Cookieman
Ifish Nate

Was there on 22nd cause Merwin was full! Yale produced nice 15" fish. Great day to be on the water.

I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, its a lie!
Cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
crabbydan
Chromer

Can anyone give me pointers for fishing yale? Where to go? I remember it gets shallow from the right side of the ramp? Its been a while, and I've never really fished it. Thanks.
crabbydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
Splash
Sturgeon

https://webapp.navionics.com/#[email protected]&key=ortwGfjqiV
Old 03-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
crabbydan
Chromer

Managed 12 between 2 of us today, Sunday. Wind got calm around noon, sunny beautiful day.
crabbydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Cookieman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbydan View Post
Can anyone give me pointers for fishing yale? Where to go? I remember it gets shallow from the right side of the ramp? Its been a while, and I've never really fished it. Thanks.
Ya out in at the boat ramp and head straight across to the south side, you'll see the other boats there. I drag the old school stuff pink hoochie beads and 2 hook setup, tuna corn and baby shrimp. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Brodad
Fry

Never fished Yale and wonder about where to launch, saddle dam or Yale park I just read in the previous post to go across to the south side so I figure that’s from the park. Thanks for your help
Brodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
honker1
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodad View Post
Never fished Yale and wonder about where to launch, saddle dam or Yale park I just read in the previous post to go across to the south side so I figure that’s from the park. Thanks for your help
I believe the Saddle Dam Launch is closed until after Memorial Day. Need to use Yale Park.
honker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
Brodad
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker1 View Post
I believe the Saddle Dam Launch is closed until after Memorial Day. Need to use Yale Park.
Thanks that’s what I figured. Didn’t know Saddle Dam is closed till then.
Brodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
Fourteen
Tuna!

I want to travel up the the dam from Yale Park this week . I understand you need to travel on the right side of the lake along the highway . Do I need to worry about and hazards along that side of the lake ? Thanks .
Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
emora
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen View Post
I want to travel up the the dam from Yale Park this week . I understand you need to travel on the right side of the lake along the highway . Do I need to worry about and hazards along that side of the lake ? Thanks .
Click the link on post#6. Use this as a reference and you should be fine.
emora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #14
BeavInWashington
Cutthroat

3/19/2020 Report

4 anglers, 4 rods. Fished 9:35-2:45. 39 kept, including a 12" chinook. Action was pretty good with a few lulls, but lots of triples and a quad. Took a group of teenagers out, including one who'd never fished before! She caught loads of fish and can't wait to go fishing again. Gotta love it!

Fished mostly out and across from the boat launch. 1.1-1.4 mph. Hoochies and spinners behind small Leo Flashers and Brad's Kokanee flashers. Tuna corn.

About 15 trailers in the parking lot. Only the middle dock was usable due to water levels, but it wasn't too bad at all.

Beautiful day with a relatively flat lake and sunny skies.

Just a note, but the fish seemed smaller than the past few years on Yale. Maybe I just got into schools of smaller fish, but the average size was 9-10" with several 8-9" kokanee mixed in. We had a few 11" fish in the cooler, but it was slim pickings as far as nicer quality kokanee. I've only fished the lake this early a few times, so I guess I don't have much to go off of.

Last edited by BeavInWashington; 03-20-2020 at 12:10 PM.
BeavInWashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #15
Slowsmokinhic
Chromer

Good stuff beavin. Nothing better than noobies gettting hooke. Life time memory wink
Old 03-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #16
BeavInWashington
Cutthroat

3/22/2020 Report

2 anglers, 4 rods. Fished 8:45-12:15. 20 kokanee kept and countless fish lost. All the usual suspects in terms of gear, with most fish marked and caught in the top 20' of the water column. Fish size was consistent with only a few sub 10" fish and most 10-11" long. We had a couple pushing 12" but they sure are skinnier fish than their cousins at Merwin.

Parking lot was decently full (2.5-3 rows full of trucks and trailers) and we saw a good number of nets out. Wind chop in the morning wasn't terribly fun, but it died down as the day went on.

Fish seemed to be more concentrated, so you really had to stay on top of them. If you did so, the bite was really good. We had all four rods go off twice, and it was extremely rare to only get one bite at a time.

All in all, a great day.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #17
mr.resnik
Cutthroat

Thats a good report. I have never fished Yale, is there a gate at the place you launch. I am wondering if Merwin and Yale will be closed with the stay at home order
mr.resnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #18
mr.resnik
Cutthroat

I did a little research and answered my own question. Tonight all parks and water access will close for two weeks
Old 05-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #19
mic4fish
Tuna!

We plan on hitting yale on the off columbia river days. Did really good there last year. Will report.

Go play outside!
mic4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #20
mic4fish
Tuna!

Hit Yale today. Pretty quick limit! The fish dont seem as big as last year. But we did manage some pretty chunky ones ! Everyone else seemed to to doing good as well.

Go play outside!
Old 05-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #21
mr.resnik
Cutthroat

great report, think I will try there next instead of merwin. What part of lake were you in
Old 05-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #22
honker1
Tuna!

Sounds like a good place to take my Grandson for his 1st fishing experience. How was the wind ?
Old 05-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #23
Cookieman
Ifish Nate

Always good straight across from the launch! I always check the wind reports before I go.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #24
Roady
Tuna!

Default Yale 2020

Took my son to Yale yesterday. Didn’t launch until around 9:30. Parking lot was only half full. Six or seven boats pulled in behind me, but there already boats taking out. Almost didn’t launch because of the wind, but decided to give it a go anyways. Headed over to the East side across from the launch as it seemed a little “calmer” over there. Caught two fish in about 15 minutes, so we were hoping for a good day. Fought the wind all day, but we managed to keep 12 (I think my son caught 10), lost a few at the boat, and missed a bunch.

Various dodgers, weeding rings, fire corn, with pro-cure tuna scent is what we used. Seemed to hit fish in about 80’ of water, 2oz of lead, and about 100’-125’ back.

Also caught about five pikminnow. My son was pretty excited when he tossed one back and a bald eagle came out of nowhere to grab it. He was happy to “feed ‘Merica”. Lol

Last edited by Roady; 05-09-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #25
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Thumbs up Re: Yale 2020

Congrats Chris, that smile on Ians face says it all. My first trip since the re-opener will be Monday on the reservoir downriver of Yale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
Took my son to Yale yesterday. Didn’t launch until around 9:30. Parking lot was only half full. Six or seven boats pulled in behind me, but there already boats taking out. Almost didn’t launch because of the wind, but decided to give it a go anyways. Headed over to the East side across from the launch as it seemed a little “calmer” over there. Caught two fish in about 15 minutes, so we were hoping for a good day. Fought the wind all day, but we managed to keep 12 (I think my son caught 10), lost a few at the boat, and missed a bunch.

Various dodgers, weeding rings, fire corn, with pro-cure tuna scent is what we used. Seemed to hit fish in about 80’ of water, 2oz of lead, and about 100’-125’ back.

Also caught about five pikminnow. My son was pretty excited when he tossed one back and a bald eagle came out of nowhere to grab it. He was happy to “feed ‘Merica”. Lol

Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #26
Roady
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadslayer View Post
Congrats Chris, that smile on Ians face says it all. My first trip since the re-opener will be Monday on the reservoir downriver of Yale.

Thanks Earl! We might try the same place Monday, if I can figure out my kicker motor issues.

I went to Fisherman’s last week and bought a bunch of new gear in hopes fishing for springers out of the new boat. I might just take it all back and exchange it for Kokanee gear. Haha
Old 05-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #27
mic4fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.resnik View Post
great report, think I will try there next instead of merwin. What part of lake were you in
We launched at yale park. strait across the lake headed up. Action did not take long.

Go play outside!
Old 05-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #28
mic4fish
Tuna!

Does anybody know when they changed the limit from 15 to 10 on yale ? My father-n-law(rip) always liked yale due to the 15 fish limit!

Go play outside!
Old 05-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #29
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic4fish View Post
Does anybody know when they changed the limit from 15 to 10 on yale ? My father-n-law(rip) always liked yale due to the 15 fish limit!

That changed last year, a committee making out the reg book noticed most lakes were 10 fish so they said Yale must be 10 too. Having no clue that a 16 fish limit for ever on Yale was due to the magnitude of fish in that lake.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #30
mic4fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadslayer View Post
That changed last year, a committee making out the reg book noticed most lakes were 10 fish so they said Yale must be 10 too. Having no clue that a 16 fish limit for ever on Yale was due to the magnitude of fish in that lake.
Thanks, Dont quite understand why change it just because other lakes have that. There was a reason behind the 16 fish limit. The lake has a lot of fish but they are smaller.

Go play outside!
Old 05-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #31
mr.resnik
Cutthroat

Great morning on the lake. Got there about 6:45, about 5 trailers in the lot. Could not get all three poles in the water at first they were biting so fast. Got limits by 9:00, no wind no rain. Fish are smaller than merwin but there are a lot of them. Fished on top, didnt matter what you used.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #32
mic4fish
Tuna!

Just got back. Got there at the crack of noon. Took longer to drive there and back than to get our limit. Went to merwin first. Made one pass through the parking lot. Seen the big cluster of trailers opted for the serenity of yale.

Go play outside!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #33
BeavInWashington
Cutthroat

Yale Report - Friday, May 15th

2 anglers, 4 rods. Lake was flat calm when we launched with a lite rain on and off. Lines in at 7:00, Limited and to the launch with a bonus trout at 9:10. Fished mostly across from the ramp and did circles on schools of fish between 20-35'. Did find a nice tree top on the deeper end of that range and that wasn't too fun! Anything pink... spinners, hoochies, etc. Loads of doubles and a few triples. We also lost 6 fish trying to flip 'em into the boat instead of using the damn net. It was our first day out since fishing reopened in WA, and we were definitely not on our "fish landing" game.

Originally went to Merwin but arrived at 6:15 to a line of 12 plus boats and only 7 open parking spots left in the overflow area. No bueno! Turned around and drove up to Yale and we were probably within the first 15 boats there. When we took out (bit of a line to get out) the Yale lot was full and the gate was closed, allowing new vehicles in only when one would leave. Very organized, but dang was I surprised at how busy it was for a salmon opener day.

Fish averaged 10.5-11.5" on the board with a few that taped a little past 12". Certainly not Merwin grade fish, and they seem smaller than last year, but the smaller crowds and two hours to limit out made it a very worthwhile day.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #34
mic4fish
Tuna!

Yale report today May 19th. Ended up going solo. Had a wild idea at first to try merwin seeing how it was late(around 11am). Made a tour through the parking lot only to find yet another zoo! Opted again for the serenity of yale. Maybe 6 trailers in the lot and the ramp was wide open! Went across the lake then up to the colverts. Action was pretty much within the first 5 min and continued till I got my 10 really nice kokes! All fish were on arrow flash and brads dodgers with pink hoochies. Are the fish really that much bigger at merwin??

Go play outside!
Old 05-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #35
mr.resnik
Cutthroat

Got to the lake at 8:00 had our twenty fish by 11:30. A little slower than the past few trips, a little wind, but luckily no rain. Fished on top about 50 to 80 feet back using electric trolling motor. Fish averaged a little smaller this time.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:05 PM   #36
360_rotschy
Cutthroat

Quote:
Yale report today May 19th. Ended up going solo. Had a wild idea at first to try merwin seeing how it was late(around 11am). Made a tour through the parking lot only to find yet another zoo! Opted again for the serenity of yale. Maybe 6 trailers in the lot and the ramp was wide open! Went across the lake then up to the colverts. Action was pretty much within the first 5 min and continued till I got my 10 really nice kokes! All fish were on arrow flash and brads dodgers with pink hoochies. Are the fish really that much bigger at merwin??
I've been alternating between Merwin and Yale. The Merwin fish are definitely a lot thicker! I would say the fillets are close to double the size. Much easier to get limits at Yale though, and no crowds to fight...

Last edited by 360_rotschy; 05-19-2020 at 09:07 PM.
360_rotschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #37
mic4fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360_rotschy View Post
I've been alternating between Merwin and Yale. The Merwin fish are definitely a lot thicker! I would say the fillets are close to double the size. Much easier to get limits at Yale though, and no crowds to fight...
That is considerably Bigger. Might have to re visit the idea. We cut our teeth at merwin for sure. Defiantly a trade off.

Go play outside!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #38
Merganser99
Tuna!

Report for 5/29. On the water at 5:05. Started close to Yale Park and trolled to the east. Stayed east of the launch and was done at 7:30. Surface rod at 100 feet got 6 and downrigger set at 30 feet got 4. Two were 12 inches and the rest were 10ish. Also got a few pikeminnow. Ugh.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #39
Roady
Tuna!

I took my son to Merwin on Thursday 5/28. We launched at 6:15 and lower lot was only about half full. We trolled up and down both sides trying almost everything we had. Had two rods flatlining and one on the downrigger. Had a total of four bites, two of which hooked up, but came unhooked halfway to the boat. Never saw either fish.

We called it quits at 1:45 and drove up to Cougar to grab some lunch. Decided to hit Yale and launched around 2:30. There was a lot of people at Yale, but quite a few spots open and plenty of people leaving. Headed across the lake and up a ways, then started trolling down.

What a night and day difference from Merwin! My son hooked his first fish just as he finished letting his line out. We had our limits in about two hours. Didn’t seem to matter what color or lure type. The one constant was everything was tipped with fire corn and tuna scent. Many of the fish my son caught hit as soon as he lowered the downrigger.

While none of the Yale fish were of Merwin size, none of them were what I would consider “dinks”. Most averaged in the 11”-12” range with quite a few around 13”.

Spent about an hour letting the boy get some time driving the boat since he completed his online boater’s education class. Then headed home in time to cook some fresh kokes for dinner. Mmmm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #40
ccpastork
Cutthroat

Quote:
I took my son to Merwin on Thursday 5/28. We launched at 6:15 and lower lot was only about half full. We trolled up and down both sides trying almost everything we had. Had two rods flatlining and one on the downrigger. Had a total of four bites, two of which hooked up, but came unhooked halfway to the boat. Never saw either fish.
We called it quits at 1:45 and drove up to Cougar to grab some lunch. Decided to hit Yale and launched around 2:30. There was a lot of people at Yale, but quite a few spots open and plenty of people leaving. Headed across the lake and up a ways, then started trolling down.

What a night and day difference from Merwin! My son hooked his first fish just as he finished letting his line out. We had our limits in about two hours. Didn’️t seem to matter what color or lure type. The one constant was everything was tipped with fire corn and tuna scent. Many of the fish my son caught hit as soon as he lowered the downrigger.

While none of the Yale fish were of Merwin size, none of them were what I would consider “dinks”. Most averaged in the 11”-12” range with quite a few around 13”.

Spent about an hour letting the boy get some time driving the boat since he completed his online boater’️s education class. Then headed home in time to cook some fresh kokes for dinner. Mmmm!

We’re you fishing a downrigger or just setbacks?

I am planning to take my 9yo daughter out tomorrow for her first Kokanee trip.
ccpastork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:49 PM   #41
Roady
Tuna!

I was fishing two rods set back at 100 ft. Started with no weight, then added 1oz latter on.

My son was fishing with the downrigger 60 ft back and 30 ft down.

I picked up another little manual downrigger and we are going to try again tomorrow. We’ll be in a blue Pro-steelheader.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #42
mic4fish
Tuna!

Quote:

What a night and day difference from Merwin! My son hooked his first fish just as he finished letting his line out. We had our limits in about two hours. Didn’t seem to matter what color or lure type. The one constant was everything was tipped with fire corn and tuna scent. Many of the fish my son caught hit as soon as he lowered the downrigger.

Spent about an hour letting the boy get some time driving the boat since he completed his online boater’s education class. Then headed home in time to cook some fresh kokes for dinner. Mmmm!

We had almost the exact same experiance last year. started at merwin around 9am. Got totally skunked! At least you had some bites and fish on! Fished till around 2 then went to yale. Took us awhile to get dialed but when we did it was fish on. we got our limits! Last year the fish were bigger, More merwin size. But... needless to say we have not fished merwin since. We have made 2 tours through the parking lot. Seemed to crowded! Be up there weds and thurs say hi were in a teal open RB boat!

Go play outside!
Old 06-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #43
Roady
Tuna!

Default Yale 2020

Yale was a lot slower for us today. Added a second downrigger, but bites were sporadic. The majority of boats left way before we did. Fished for six hours, but only managed to boat 10 fish. Had enough of the wind and finally called it a day. Ended up giving five of our fish to a nice young family who hadn’t eaten Kokanee before, my son and I ate two for dinner, and I vacuum bagged the remaining three. Still better than “honey-do’s”.

Last edited by Roady; 06-01-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #44
mic4fish
Tuna!

My brother and I went up today. Started fishing around 1230. I was on my first pass when I noticed a guy in a small smoker craft waving at me. I smiled and waved back. I was a little a loof at first. He then started waving both arms. I then noticed he was in trouble. We quickly reeled in the rods and raced over there. Apparently he had some rope dangling in the water that got caught up in his prop. He cut the rope out, but the motor was seized. So we towed him back to dock. I asked him if once he got his boat loaded did he want to come out and fish with us? He was like sure! Didnt take long to get on the fish. It did take awhile to get our 30, But we did. All on pink hoochies with small spinner blades and dodgers. Most fish were caught within the first 20 ft of water. Just using 1/2 oz to 1 oz 80-100 ft of line out. What a gorgeous day! Wind picked up a little then died down around 4.

Go play outside!
Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 AM   #45
honker1
Tuna!

Quote:
Yale was a lot slower for us today. Added a second downrigger, but bites were sporadic. The majority of boats left way before we did. Fished for six hours, but only managed to boat 10 fish. Had enough of the wind and finally called it a day. Ended up giving five of our fish to a nice young family who hadn’t eaten Kokanee before, my son and I ate two for dinner, and I vacuum bagged the remaining three. Still better than “honey-do’s”.

Roady...You answered my question about the wind on Monday. Took my son & grandson to Yale. Grandson (6 yrs old) has never been fishing before, and I figured it was time to introduce him to a new world. We started at 7:30 and fished East of Yale Park. Caught 6 Kokanee, with the grandson doing the reeling.

About 11:00 the wind was starting to show up, so I made the call to, abandon ship, and call it a day. Been wondering if I made the right call, because grandson was having a good time, and wind wasn't that bad YET. And yes, we not only caught some fish, but I think I hooked the grandson on fishing. Now I would like to find a Bass lake, so grandson can practice his casting skills.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #46
Roady
Tuna!

Default Yale 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker1 View Post
Roady...You answered my question about the wind on Monday. Took my son & grandson to Yale. Grandson (6 yrs old) has never been fishing before, and I figured it was time to introduce him to a new world. We started at 7:30 and fished East of Yale Park. Caught 6 Kokanee, with the grandson doing the reeling.

About 11:00 the wind was starting to show up, so I made the call to, abandon ship, and call it a day. Been wondering if I made the right call, because grandson was having a good time, and wind wasn't that bad YET. And yes, we not only caught some fish, but I think I hooked the grandson on fishing. Now I would like to find a Bass lake, so grandson can practice his casting skills.

You probably made the right call. The wind never got terrible, in fact it calmed down after we got the boat on the trailer, but depending on what kind of boat you fish in, it can really take the fun out of it.

More importantly, great job getting the grandkid into some fish! As an adult, it’s easy to want to stick it out for a whole day. Kids can tire quickly and start to not enjoy themselves if the fishing or weather doesn’t cooperate.

As far as bass or panfish, try Silver lake up near Castle Rock. Instead of taking the boat, you can fish from shore at Silver Cove Resort or off the docks at Silver Lake resort.

Last edited by Roady; 06-03-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #47
Roady
Tuna!

Quote:
My brother and I went up today. Started fishing around 1230. I was on my first pass when I noticed a guy in a small smoker craft waving at me. I smiled and waved back. I was a little a loof at first. He then started waving both arms. I then noticed he was in trouble. We quickly reeled in the rods and raced over there. Apparently he had some rope dangling in the water that got caught up in his prop. He cut the rope out, but the motor was seized. So we towed him back to dock. I asked him if once he got his boat loaded did he want to come out and fish with us? He was like sure! Didnt take long to get on the fish. It did take awhile to get our 30, But we did. All on pink hoochies with small spinner blades and dodgers. Most fish were caught within the first 20 ft of water. Just using 1/2 oz to 1 oz 80-100 ft of line out. What a gorgeous day! Wind picked up a little then died down around 4.

Good job helping out! Very cool!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #48
gohappy
Steelhead

Tuesday 6-2-20
I put in about 4:30,
a guy on a boat pulling out advised, go towards the damin the old river channel,
180 to 200 ft deep,
downriggers 50-65 ft deep.

Arrow gold dodger with
Deadly venom orange or pink hooch, corn with any scent and bam, bam, bam...
gohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #49
ccpastork
Cutthroat

Quote:
I was fishing two rods set back at 100 ft. Started with no weight, then added 1oz latter on.

My son was fishing with the downrigger 60 ft back and 30 ft down.

I picked up another little manual downrigger and we are going to try again tomorrow. We’ll be in a blue Pro-steelheader.

Thank you for information! I managed to make it out with my Dad and 9yo daughter on Monday. I will post a report.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #50
ccpastork
Cutthroat

Monday 6/1/20, made it on the water at 8:30 (bit later than I wanted). My 82yo Dad, 9yo daughter and myself in a 15 foot Alaskan Smokercraft. We just had her line out and in the pole holder when...fish on. We were running Okuma SST Kokanee rod/reel combos, Brads dodgers (Watermelon & Moon Pink), followed by a spin-n-glo, 5 red beads and my hand tied trolling flies, her's was tipped with Pro Cure Shrimp/Krill corn, mine with pink cured Bloody Tuna. We started with 3/4 ounce weight with 80 feet set backs. My daughter managed five fish in about 15 minutes, before I switched to the same trolling fly and scented corn. This proved to be the most effective combo. At one point I ran an extra rod since I have the two rod endorsement, this one was set up with a Brad's Moon Jelly dodger and a pink Hoochie, but only caught one fish on it and I am still learning how to execute turns without tangling up (had one bad foul midday and put the third rod away).

We fished from 8:30 until 1pm and had 10 fish, none of them as large as Merwin and some were on the small side. We tied up at the dock, used the restroom, ate some lunch and at my daughters request headed back out; she was not done fishing. We continued to pick up a fish here and there until 4pm when we had 15 and started heading back in. Once again the girl begged us to stay on the water to try and fill two limits. We headed up to the dam, fortunately the wind had started to die down and we started picking up fish after we switched to 1.5 ounce lead and 90 and 100 setbacks. We hooked MANY fish, but could not seem to keep them on the line and at 6pm we called it a day. We ended with 18, with two lost at the boat only 200 yards from the ramp.

I caught 5 of the fish and the girl caught the other 13...that watermelon dodger/trolling fly combo was the hot ticket. We hooked and lost more than 18 fish; from what I gather this is not unusual.

We thoroughly enjoyed out time together and are planning another trip. Yesterday we smoked the fish; oh the joy of the great outdoors!

Last edited by ccpastork; 06-03-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #51
mic4fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Good job helping out! Very cool!

Thanks! It was fun fishing with Him. Only problem was I gave him my boat mecs No#, But forgot to get his!!

Go play outside!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #52
Roady
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpastork View Post
Monday 6/1/20, made it on the water at 8:30 (bit later than I wanted). My 82yo Dad, 9yo daughter and myself in a 15 foot Alaskan Smokercraft. We just had her line out and in the pole holder when...fish on. We were running Okuma SST Kokanee rod/reel combos, Brads dodgers (Watermelon & Moon Pink), followed by a spin-n-glo, 5 red beads and my hand tied trolling flies, her's was tipped with Pro Cure Shrimp/Krill corn, mine with pink cured Bloody Tuna. We started with 3/4 ounce weight with 80 feet set backs. My daughter managed five fish in about 15 minutes, before I switched to the same trolling fly and scented corn. This proved to be the most effective combo. At one point I ran an extra rod since I have the two rod endorsement, this one was set up with a Brad's Moon Jelly dodger and a pink Hoochie, but only caught one fish on it and I am still learning how to execute turns without tangling up (had one bad foul midday and put the third rod away).

We fished from 8:30 until 1pm and had 10 fish, none of them as large as Merwin and some were on the small side. We tied up at the dock, used the restroom, ate some lunch and at my daughters request headed back out; she was not done fishing. We continued to pick up a fish here and there until 4pm when we had 15 and started heading back in. Once again the girl begged us to stay on the water to try and fill two limits. We headed up to the dam, fortunately the wind had started to die down and we started picking up fish after we switched to 1.5 ounce lead and 90 and 100 setbacks. We hooked MANY fish, but could not seem to keep them on the line and at 6pm we called it a day. We ended with 18, with two lost at the boat only 200 yards from the ramp.

I caught 5 of the fish and the girl caught the other 13...that watermelon dodger/trolling fly combo was the hot ticket. We hooked and lost more than 18 fish; from what I gather this is not unusual.

We thoroughly enjoyed out time together and are planning another trip. Yesterday we smoked the fish; oh the joy of the great outdoors!

Sounds like you had a good day!

Old 06-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #53
Pelican
Steelhead

Three fishermen, three limits kokanee, 9"-11". Wednesday, 1.5 oz lead, Brad's heavy dodger, corn. setback 100 ft. pink, green, and orange colors. hoochies, KCP and spin-glo's. They hit everything we towed.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #54
Slowsmokinhic
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpastork View Post

Sounds like the young lady has the fever. Three generations in a 15 foot boat. Memories created that will never be forgotten. love it, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #55
mr.resnik
Cutthroat

Wednesday 6/3 took the grandkids for their first fishing trip, we had a blast. Managed to net 13 (let them reel them all in) and lost as many. Fished from 9:30 till 12:30 when it got very windy. First trip this year my son and I didnt limit (20 fish) in about two hours
Old 06-04-2020, 04:57 PM   #56
mic4fish
Tuna!

Wednesdays report. It was a bit of a grind to get 3 limits. We managed 28. Could of got 30 but the wind was kind of kicking my butt! All in all excellent time! My buddy was using some set-up from pauline lake tackle. Dodger and lure it was defiantly the hot ticket! We seemed to have to use more lead to get bites 1-2oz. But that meant more loses. we must have lost 20 fish!! Got there around 9. Bite was slow at first. seemed to pick up around 11. I think the wind chop helped as well.

Go play outside!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #57
gohappy
Steelhead

Fished the morning at Merwin, nada, not even a strike.
Put in at Yale 1:30, the kokanee fishing is hot!

About 80 ft line out, downrigger s 24 to 30 ft deep. Arrow dodgers, deadly venom pink or orange hooch, corn with garlic / bloody tuna scent.

Straight across from the ramp, then troll with the wind.
gohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #58
ccpastork
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsmokinhic View Post
Sounds like the young lady has the fever. Three generations in a 15 foot boat. Memories created that will never be forgotten. love it, thanks for sharing.
It was a glorious day together, and yes full of memories to last her lifetime.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #59
Roady
Tuna!

Default Yale 2020

Report for 6/5:

Had stuff to do in the morning, but decided to take the boy and the dog for an afternoon boat ride. Put the boat in at 2:30, headed across the lake, and started our normal trolling route. Seemed to take a while to get the last couple of fish, but we finally landed our 20.

My son had the hot rod again. Homemade black & silver wedding ring type spinner, pink/white dick nite dodger, fire corn with garlic tuna scent, 35’ back and 30’ deep on the downrigger.

It could be my imagination, but it seemed like we were getting into bigger fish later in the evening.

All in all it was a good day. The dog really seemed to enjoy himself.

Last edited by Roady; 06-06-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #60
Roady
Tuna!

Default Yale 2020

Made a quick trip to Yale yesterday afternoon. My dog started barking excitedly when he saw me pull the boat onto the street, so I had no choice but to take him again. Haha

We fished from 3pm-7:45 and put 18 in the cooler. Lost a handful at the boat. My son caught most of his fish on a black body and chrome blade homemade wedding ring. I caught most of mine on an ice blue body and brass blade homemade wedding ring. FireCorn and ProCure garlic/tuna tipped on the hooks.
Both of us set our gear 35’ back and 35’ down on the downriggers.

Very little wind yesterday afternoon and managed to keep a steady 1.5-1.6 mph both directions. Other than a brief 10-15 minutes of rain, the weather was great and the water was smooth as glass for quite a while.

Last edited by Roady; 06-09-2020 at 10:50 AM.