The Crappie are coming - The crappie are coming! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

Default The Crappie are coming - The crappie are coming!

you all know about the 800 crappie a day I land each year in 2nd half of October at "Silver Cove Resort!" or better know as Streeters canal.

Make your plans for this epic fishing coming soon! $20 per car of fisherman to fish from shore for LOTS of crappie, perch & Blue Gill.

The best time to fish in 3rd and 4th week of Oct.
I normally end up with 1 out of ten crappie over 9 inches (9 inch limit size)!

Some have landed 1000 fish a day from this area.

ExBassGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
redfish89
Ifish Nate

Default Re: The Crappie are coming - The crappie are coming!

Thanks! What is your favorite bait to use in this area?
redfish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

What I use is VERY productive, Trout magnets in Orange & white body and a pink trout magnet jig hook. I use a two jig rig under a small weighted bobber (fish pull it under easily and catch rate is thru the roof). The other color I used the most is chartreuse/ black.
I use the chartreuse 16inches below the bobber and the Orange and white at 21 inches. The black has a good silhouette higher in the water Colum and bright colors show up better a bit deeper because most fish are around 18 inches below the surface. So when the fish are below the black helps them see the bait more than other colors. And bright colors show up better when below the fish.
I try a few presentations that are very productive at times. Twitch pause...
A S L O W reel in the bobber. or a drag and pause.
Trout magnets can be picked up at "Crappie Magnets on line". The jigs are 1/64oz. White trout magnets are also very good.

As for location of the best concentrations of fish: The "T" intersection of the dead end canal right behind the check in office is one of the best places! the best place for quantity of fish every year is in the dead end not far from the road. and I have done well at the opening to the of the bay with the boat ramp everyone launches at "Silver Cove Resort".
Perch are near the bottom. So if you are catching perch and you are after crappie you are fishing too deep. The Blue Gill are in the pads and near the shore line. As you see a boat go by look for pads to make a small shake. that is from fish being spooked and running into the lily pad stems. That is the area! there is a Limit on crappie of 10 per day and no limit on perch or Blue Gill.

Remember to keep moving till you are catching more fish that other people around you or about the same, but still keep looing for an even better spot. Late in the month the crappie will FILL the canals around the resort and you can catch them near and far from shore. Earlier in the month the fish hang a little closer to the bank or pads.
Roger The Silver lake ExBassGuide

Last edited by ExBassGuide; 09-29-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #4
redfish89
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to take my boys out in the next couple of weeks. I'll post my results.
redfish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
wdlfbio
Tuna!

Might make a run down In a couple of weeks if I can get a campsite. Been wanting to come play for a while.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
OregonSteel
Ifish Nate

So how does it work there? Do you need a campsite or lodging to fish? Is there parking near where you can fish? I'm assuming you need a fishing license, or is the canal privately owned waters? Thanks!
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonSteel View Post
So how does it work there? Do you need a campsite or lodging to fish? Is there parking near where you can fish? I'm assuming you need a fishing license, or is the canal privately owned waters? Thanks!
There is a per car fee at Silver Cover Resort, you do not have to camp there and there is plenty of parking. You do need a fishing license. Can be combat fishing on a nice Fall day. Stop at the store/ office to get your parking pass.

PDXTL
PDX Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
duckslayer
Ifish Nate

Was there this evening with 3 buddies. Was very slow! Think I caught a dozen or so crappie, 2 keeper size, buddies did a little worse. It was raining off and on and that tends to slow the bite there, but there didn't appear to be many fish in the canals just yet.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
hm1ing
Steelhead

I was there and limited in 1.5 hours w/ a 12 " white and a 11" black crappies. Went back 2 days later...8 hrs and only had 7 keepers.

That said: Fish & Wildlife has been netting crappie in both canals to transplant 6700 crappie into another lake in WA. If you see net floats at the mouth of the canals, you will know they are still netting. A buddy toot his 2 boys yesterday and they had 3 limits in 2 hours.

It's all about being there when they are biting, presenting the right morsal and enjoying the fact it is still better than the past 2 years.
hm1ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
Snopro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm1ing View Post
That said: Fish & Wildlife has been netting crappie in both canals to transplant 6700 crappie into another lake in WA.
Do you know which lake they are going into?
Snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #11
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Late report from Sunday, 10/18/2020. Got to Silver Cove about Noon & was fishing about 15 minutes later. Started at the T of the canal behind the office with double trout magnet rigs. Fished about 3 different places, including on the corner and ended up catching a couple Bluegill, a couple Crappie and a Perch, nothing with any size in an hour plus.

Decided to go try the canal behind the Event Center in the middle of the resort. Nothing for about 5 minutes then 4 fish in 4 casts, maybe one keeper. Missed on the next cast, then a 5th in 6 casts, but then it went dead. I was only about 100 feet from the end of the canal and decided to move down to where I could see some structure.

Ended up dialing it in to two white trout magnets and had very steady fishing for the next several hours. Ended up losing two rigs to the tree gods & tied on a chartreuse/ white top jig with all white below & caught 8 or 10 Bluegill in a row on the chartreuse/ white jig.

At one point after a lost rig, I decided to tie on a 1/32 oz crappie jig with a green/ white skirt & skip the bobber. Cast out, count to 3 to get the jig down and start working it back. My success rate was not quite as high as with a bobber, but the grade of fish was better and all of them were Crappie.

The Crappie were about 3' down on Sunday, for what it's worth & I did get one double, although the smaller upper fish came off before getting them in. I definitely caught more than a limit's worth of keepers, though I released all fish that day.

If you're looking for better size crappie and have some jigs to donate, with a little practice you can likely get a higher percentage of keepers if you learn to use the old school crappie jigs with a green/ white skirt tight lining with no bobber. Will drop about a foot per second, vary the depth until you find them. YMMV

PDXTL
PDX Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
BeavInWashington
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Tightlines View Post
Late report from Sunday, 10/18/2020. Got to Silver Cove about Noon & was fishing about 15 minutes later. Started at the T of the canal behind the office with double trout magnet rigs. Fished about 3 different places, including on the corner and ended up catching a couple Bluegill, a couple Crappie and a Perch, nothing with any size in an hour plus.

Decided to go try the canal behind the Event Center in the middle of the resort. Nothing for about 5 minutes then 4 fish in 4 casts, maybe one keeper. Missed on the next cast, then a 5th in 6 casts, but then it went dead. I was only about 100 feet from the end of the canal and decided to move down to where I could see some structure.

Ended up dialing it in to two white trout magnets and had very steady fishing for the next several hours. Ended up losing two rigs to the tree gods & tied on a chartreuse/ white top jig with all white below & caught 8 or 10 Bluegill in a row on the chartreuse/ white jig.

At one point after a lost rig, I decided to tie on a 1/32 oz crappie jig with a green/ white skirt & skip the bobber. Cast out, count to 3 to get the jig down and start working it back. My success rate was not quite as high as with a bobber, but the grade of fish was better and all of them were Crappie.

The Crappie were about 3' down on Sunday, for what it's worth & I did get one double, although the smaller upper fish came off before getting them in. I definitely caught more than a limit's worth of keepers, though I released all fish that day.

If you're looking for better size crappie and have some jigs to donate, with a little practice you can likely get a higher percentage of keepers if you learn to use the old school crappie jigs with a green/ white skirt tight lining with no bobber. Will drop about a foot per second, vary the depth until you find them. YMMV

PDXTL
Thanks for the excellent report. Hoping to get out there next week.
BeavInWashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #13
shin09
Steelhead

Any reports from this week? Thinking of taking work off tomorrow to go. With the sunny weather thinking it could be good.
shin09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
steel_beaver
Ifish Nate

I gave it a try with my 3 yr old for the first time ever last Sunday afternoon. Lots of people at the “T” by the community room. One boat across the canal had it dialed in and caught a keeper crappie every few minutes. Most of the bankies looked like they were catching perch (including me). I did manage one keeper crappie and a few dinks that went back but couldn’t quite figure them out in the two hours I was there. Tried depths of 2.5 -4ft with trout and crappie magnets (chartreuse, white, brown, chartreuse and black, chartreuse and orange) and all got some bites but nothing consistent. The boat across seemed to be using crappie magnet sized lure in chartreuse at ~2.5 ft.

Was I in the wrong spot or doing something wrong? Looks like i need to try shallower? Scent? Any advice is appreciated (PMs work too) The kid liked it, so we might try it again this weekend for a few. Don't want to have to drag the boat over, but i do miss my fish finder

Thanks!

Last edited by steel_beaver; 10-28-2020 at 11:53 PM.
steel_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #15
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snopro View Post
Do you know which lake they are going into?

I believe I read something that said Sprague Lake.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #16
duckslayer
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_beaver View Post
I gave it a try with my 3 yr old for the first time ever last Sunday afternoon. Lots of people at the “T” by the community room. One boat across the canal had it dialed in and caught a keeper crappie every few minutes. Most of the bankies looked like they were catching perch (including me). I did manage one keeper crappie and a few dinks that went back but couldn’t quite figure them out in the two hours I was there. Tried depths of 2.5 -4ft with trout and crappie magnets (chartreuse, white, brown, chartreuse and black, chartreuse and orange) and all got some bites but nothing consistent. The boat across seemed to be using crappie magnet sized lure in chartreuse at ~2.5 ft.

Was I in the wrong spot or doing something wrong? Looks like i need to try shallower? Scent? Any advice is appreciated (PMs work too) The kid liked it, so we might try it again this weekend for a few. Don't want to have to drag the boat over, but i do miss my fish finder

Thanks!
Silver Lake is a VERY shallow lake. If you're fishing 4' and catching perch, that tells you that you're on the bottom. All I use are trout magnets, fish them 16"-20" below your bobber and you'll be good.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
shin09
Steelhead

fished from the kayak yesterday. man it was nice out on the water. Warm day, little to no wind and not very busy. Fishing was relatively slow for me, but I am not the best crappie fisher-person. There were couple bankies that were on the road side of the T and were doing really well, like crappie every cast. Saw lots of perch being caught and same thing for me. Ended up with 4 good size keepers that I took home. handfull of others released plus numerous perch and sunfish released.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:58 AM   #18
tysdad
Tuna!

Fished Silver Lake yesterday. What a zoo. Boats and bankies stacked like cord wood in the popular areas. Caught a few fish and enjoyed the beautiful morning.
tysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #19
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_beaver View Post

Thanks!
If you are catching perch you are fishing too deep. I start at 18" and adjust from there!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #20
steel_beaver
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBassGuide View Post
If you are catching perch you are fishing too deep. I start at 18" and adjust from there!

I went again last weekend and fishing shallow helped a lot... pretty consistent (not hot for anyone) bite while it was foggy in the morning, then when the sun burned through, the fishing slowed down... not a bad way to kill a couple of hours.

Thanks for the help!
steel_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #21
chateauL
Steelhead

Hey, you guys, especially ExBassGuide,
Thanks for all the good info on crappie fishing in the channels! I’ve gone to Silver Cove area twice now and caught 6 keepers the first time and 4 the second time. I saw one guy who had it dialed in. He had a “shy bite” float set up and really paid attention to small details. He caught and released more than the other 10 fishermen around him combined. So, I have a couple questions.
- How long do the crappie congregate in the channels before they head back out to the lake?
- What do you think about the floats that only connect to mainline on the bottom end of the float? When a crappie takes the bait and moves upward (“reverse bite”) the float tips over. Sounds logical and it’s completely different from the float rigging I’ve always used for steelhead and trout (mainline through the float). I have a couple new floats set up and will try them soon.
- i went farther down Hall Road to find Streeters area. I didn’t see a boat ramp or an office. Is that business still there? Looking for a nearby boat ramp for launching my little boat in spring. I know where the public boat ramp is if needed.
So thanks again. I had never caught crappie before and it’s a kick. Check one off my bucket-list! Scott
Old 11-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #22
puckfisher
Tuna!

I have been reading the reports on this lake. It seems like everyone uses crappie magnets. Theses might be too large for the average size crappie here. Go very light line, 1/64 oz. jig with trimmed down skirt and crappie nibble. Nibbles can make all difference in the world. Very, very light bobbers will also help detect light bites. Thill makes the best. I see people crappie fish with golf ball size red and white bobbers all the time. No bueno. Mix things up a bit.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #23
hm1ing
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateauL View Post
Hey, you guys, especially ExBassGuide,
Thanks for all the good info on crappie fishing in the channels! I’ve gone to Silver Cove area twice now and caught 6 keepers the first time and 4 the second time. I saw one guy who had it dialed in. He had a “shy bite” float set up and really paid attention to small details. He caught and released more than the other 10 fishermen around him combined. So, I have a couple questions.
- How long do the crappie congregate in the channels before they head back out to the lake?
- What do you think about the floats that only connect to mainline on the bottom end of the float? When a crappie takes the bait and moves upward (“reverse bite”) the float tips over. Sounds logical and it’s completely different from the float rigging I’ve always used for steelhead and trout (mainline through the float). I have a couple new floats set up and will try them soon.
- i went farther down Hall Road to find Streeters area. I didn’t see a boat ramp or an office. Is that business still there? Looking for a nearby boat ramp for launching my little boat in spring. I know where the public boat ramp is if needed.
So thanks again. I had never caught crappie before and it’s a kick. Check one off my bucket-list! Scott
Scott,
The crappie will be in one or both canals all winter. I fish it from Oct. to March, but can be fished year round.
I personally like to connect any bobber at one end. I allows more movement and strike indications than having it hooked on at the top and bottom. I use the stick bobbers myself. Although reeling in slowly you can get better hook ups when they bite, the pole loads and no need to rip lips.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:07 PM   #24
chateauL
Steelhead

Puckfisher and hm1ing,
Thanks for the inputs on crappie. I bought some Thills and other pencil type crappie floats. Yeah, the guy I saw catching lots of crappie was using a crappie magnet on a 1/80th oz jig. I’ll go give it another shot soon. Tight lines.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #25
hm1ing
Steelhead

As a note to the sustained fish level at Silver Lake for crappie, I've noticed alot of under slot fish being caught and kept. Weather it is crappie or largemouth bass, if you see it,,say something! Call WSP / WDFW, if we don't protect this fishy, it too will soon be gone. You don't need to confront people, but if you do...a simple inquiry may work.

Those that are doing this type of fishing get very uncomfortable when they know they are being watched.

We all try to help people catch their limit of legal fish on here, let's all help insure that that can happen.

Thank you
Old 11-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #26
shin09
Steelhead

first time I wentto silver lake I saw these guys throwing every fish they caught into the keeper bucket. As I watched them more and got closer, I realised it was perch which have no limit, so something to keep in mind. Crappie pretty easy to ID from a far though...
Old 11-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #27
Roady
Tuna!

Took my son yesterday. Ended up with 11 keepers and caught at least twice as many smaller ones. A few bluegill and perch, but not many.

Game Warden passed through later in the afternoon. He said he wrote three tickets in less than 30 minutes.

There were a lot of people, but everyone was fairly spread out. Some people seemed to have things dialed in and were catching more than others. Didn’t see anyone landing anywhere close to 1000 fish during the day. That would be an average of a fish EVERY 40 seconds for ten hours of fishing. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Roady; 11-22-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #28
sturgn
Tuna!

I am new to the silver lake fishery and live in Vancouver is there a place to bank fish without having to pay $20 bucks to get in?

Follow us in our around the world adventure! http://www.sturgn.com

Sturgn
"We Ride!"
NEVER FORGET!
Member #690
sturgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #29
Roady
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgn View Post
I am new to the silver lake fishery and live in Vancouver is there a place to bank fish without having to pay $20 bucks to get in?

I was told that some people park their cars along the road and walk into the resort area. I don’t mind the fee, because it is a really nice rv park and most times I’m able to back into an unoccupied rv spot right next to the water. The fee is per vehicle, not per person...

There are a few places to park and fish along the road, as well as a small fishing dock at the public launch. I’m not sure if the crappie congregate in those areas as much though.

If interested, I can let you know the next time we go up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

Last edited by Roady; 11-22-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #30
sturgn
Tuna!

Thanks for the info, it's just me and I was thinking about going up on Wed and giving it a shot. Just being cheap and trying to save some cash is all.
sturgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #31
Roady
Tuna!

Old 11-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #32
fishnhunt13
Tuna!

Not from Silver Lake but my personal best crappie at 14 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201102_071918_1606185908464.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	758325  
fishnhunt13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #33
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post

Nice!

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #34
Roady
Tuna!

Caught another mess of crappie today. Kept 14. Threw back 4 that were barely legal and lots of smaller ones. Ian caught a 13" crappie and I caught the biggest bluegill I've ever caught. After measuring the bluegill, I decided to release it. I’d love to see more that size.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3501.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	758457

Last edited by Roady; 11-25-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #35
Fish Shock
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
Caught another mess of crappie today. Kept 14. Threw back 4 that were barely legal and lots of smaller ones. Ian caught a 13" crappie and I caught the biggest bluegill I've ever caught. After measuring the bluegill, I decided to release it. I’d love to see more that size.
Attachment 758457

Wow!!! That’s a pig
Fish Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #36
Roady
Tuna!

Took my son again yesterday. There were A LOT of people, and a lot of smaller fish, but we managed to bring home our two limits. (My son outfished me and every other person there)

A mini red & white tube jig on a 1/80th oz jig head, about 2’ under a light bobber, was the producer of the day. He caught all of his fish with no scent or bait added.

Last edited by Roady; 11-28-2020 at 06:51 PM.