Middle Deschutes tips for a bank-bound angler? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 09-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
DustyGrass
Steelhead

Default Middle Deschutes tips for a bank-bound angler?

The family is staying at an airbnb right on the deschutes in the La Pine/Three Rivers area. There does not seem to be a lot of features on the river in this section, only flat water and grassy banks, and from what I know, people mostly fish this section by boat. Aside from fishing right in front of the cabin, is it worth it to fish this section on foot? Or should I spend my time on Fall Creek since it is so close by? I have experience fishing the lower deschutes, and the upper sections above Wickiup and Crane Prarie, just not this middle section. Any tips for a wading angler on this stretch will be appreciated!

DustyGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
TroutLover
Cutthroat

Default Re: Middle Deschutes tips for a bank-bound angler?

Well, the Deschutes River closes tomorrow to trout fishing in that section. Here is the regulations:

Benham Falls to Little Lava Lake
  • Open May 22 – Sep 30.
  • 2 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length
  • Wild rainbow trout must be released.
The Fall River is open all year long as well as the Deschutes River between Benham Falls and Lake Billy Chinook.
TroutLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
DustyGrass
Steelhead

Ah, yes, I wasn't thinking that section closed. Well, that does narrow my options down. Fall creek it is. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Looks like you already found your answer, but I was gonna recommend the same conclusion. First time I ever fished that area, we'd rented a big cabin near the Little D confluence for an extended family reunion, and not knowing what we didn't know then, my brother, cousin, and I tried fishing pretty much everything we could find in the area, starting w/ the big river right in front of our rental. By the end of our stay, we were blocking out the added time and making the extra drive to either Fall R or the upper D above Wickiup & CP instead.

The wide/flat sections below Wickiup & off Century drive were just too big & blah ~ much better for pulling up a lounge chair on the dock and just watching it flow by holding only a drink in hand, vs trying to stalk around waving a rod.
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
OldGuysRule
Coho

Take bug spray!
OldGuysRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
DustyGrass
Steelhead

Thanks for the replies.

So, what is the M.O. on the Fall? Sight fishing? Blind fishing? The water looks pretty smooth.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
DustyGrass
Steelhead

Ended up having a good time on the Fall. Caught quite a few smaller browns and rainbows, and a couple of nice hatchery bows. I kept my eyes peeled for big browns that are rumored to lurk in there, but never saw any. Lots of other fisherman too, but they seemed to stay close to the parking lot. Will definitely give it a try next time I'm in the area again.

Also, the deschutes was kind of a gray color, and I surprisingly saw zero fish activity. I did not see a rise for three days. Wondering if it is that way because of a wickiup drawdown?
Old 10-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
surfnfish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyGrass View Post

Also, the deschutes was kind of a gray color, and I surprisingly saw zero fish activity. I did not see a rise for three days. Wondering if it is that way because of a wickiup drawdown?
correct, been that way since they opened the irrigation gates downstream and emptied Wickiup along with it's silt.
surfnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnfish View Post
correct, been that way since they opened the irrigation gates downstream and emptied Wickiup along with it's silt.
Anybody know if there's a schedule for irrigation draws (specific dates)? I'm trying to make sense of the Madras gauge. It's had some odd up and downs in the last week: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060
"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life.....in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." (Ronald Reagan, 1989)
Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
surfnfish
Chromer

they just closed the main one downstream two days ago. Just got back from my daily river trail bike ride and the D is greening up nicely upriver. Hopefully we get a decent enough snowfall this winter, the lakes and rivers need it.
surfnfish is offline   Reply With Quote