Anybody using medi-share? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 08-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
positize
Sturgeon

Default Anybody using medi-share?

Moving to southern Oregon and just got a price quote on our medical insurance: $2400/month for myself, wife, daughter. Moving from Portland to southern Oregon almost doubles the price of my health insurance. That is crazy! Basically someone making $15/hr could afford to pay their medical insurance and have $0 left for taxes/food/housing/everything else! Our medical insurance system is really whacked out.

So I started looking at alternatives to the crazy insurance company prices and ran across medi-share. $562/month with coverage that starts to kick in after a $10,500 deductible (you select your deductible, but this is the max deductible that results in the lowest monthly premiums). The price difference from regular health insurance is astounding. Medi-share is a christian network that shares costs instead of a for-profit insurance company that wants to bleed you dry.

Is there anybody here using medi-share? Has it worked for you?

Last edited by positize; 08-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.
positize is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
TripleJ
Tuna!

Default Re: Anybody using medi-share?

We have been a part of something similar called Samaritan Industries for about a year and a half. I really like it so far. It feels a lot better personally to me to send money each month directly to an actual person instead of a company. I haven’t needed to use it to pay for my own personal bills yet, but if that time comes it will be nice not being stuck with the bill on my own. I pay less then 1/2 what I did each month for a family of 5 when I paid for health insurance. In the end I felt like health insurance was a racket, where I sent them a bunch of money every month and then I paid 90% of the medical bills out of pocket anyways.
TripleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

When insurance companies wrote the law forcing everyone to buy coverage it removed all free market pressure to compete. So premiums have doubled and tripled for less coverage with higher copays and deductibles.

I've read up on the health networks and they look very interesting. Kind of a co-op. As long as there are enough people signed up it should work well. As an historical note, that's how Oregon's State Accident Insurance Fund (SAIF) got started in the early days of logging NW forests. It worked so well, the legislature took it over to provide workers compensation coverage. Different animal, but the health networks work much the same as the original SAIF - just a group of like minded people taking care of each other.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
tinbender
Steelhead

I also use something similar to Medi-share. It is called Samaritan Ministries. We send our check to someone in need instead of to a company, and often times we get a Thank You note. I was a little skeptical at first until I learned several friends had it and had actually needed to use it . Was a positive experience for all of them including such things as back surgery. You will need a letter signed by your Pastor/Minister/Priest. People helping people as it should be. Check it out.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Shot Sequence
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
I also use something similar to Medi-share. It is called Samaritan Ministries. We send our check to someone in need instead of to a company, and often times we get a Thank You note. I was a little skeptical at first until I learned several friends had it and had actually needed to use it . Was a positive experience for all of them including such things as back surgery. You will need a letter signed by your Pastor/Minister/Priest. People helping people as it should be. Check it out.
Another Samaritan Ministries customer here. I recommend you look into it.
Shot Sequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Interesting concept
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
Williams
Ifish Nate

I’am curious, after you pay the 10,500 deductible how much percentage do they cover?
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Amahnee
King Salmon

I read about Medi-Share and the reviews. Some weren't very good. People choose to share or maybe not. It's not a given that your bills will be paid it's my understanding.

Let me know if I'm wrong?
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
TripleJ
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahnee View Post
I read about Medi-Share and the reviews. Some weren't very good. People choose to share or maybe not. It's not a given that your bills will be paid it's my understanding.

Let me know if I'm wrong?
I'm not familiar with Medi-share and how it works. With Samaritan Industries, 11 months out of the year I get a name, address and a description of what the person/family I have been assigned for the month are going through. It comes in the mail with the bill for my monthly amount due. I don't have a choice on sending it or not. I make out a check to that person and I handwrite a personal note to them. I fill out the envelope with their address and mail it out with a payment stub. I pay the same amount every month. 1 month of the year you send the check directly to Samaritan for administration costs. In order to receive funds back for medical care, most any costs over $300 (or something around that) are eligible. I pay for me and my family members at the time of service to take advantage of cash discounts. These are usually at least 25% off. I then submit my bill to Samaritan, they review it, and if it is eligible, then people around the country send me money to cover it. This is the simple version of it.
TripleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
pearl
King Salmon

Funny timing on this subject.

The guy that built our house for us was over today to do a one year walk through with us. This subject came up as I have a desire to get out of the workforce in the next couple years at age 62. Cant pull medicare until 65 meaning I have a 3 year gap to fill. I asked him what he used for insurance since he was self employed and had a wife and two daughters at home.
He stated that they use Medi-Share and had the $10K deductible and a little over $500 monthly premium for the four of them. He has had to use the claim process once for a daughters knee surgery and outside of the $10K it was paid for. His theory is that if he bought open market insurance his cost would be at least $2K month. That said with Medi-Share vs open market he would be saving $1500 a month and it doesn't take long to off set that high $10K deductible. 6.5 months or so .

For every day stuff they use the local emergicare on the corner.

For us that are getting older the chances go up that your going to have to use insurance more so some risk comes into play. My theory is if your going to fall and break a hip do it in January as the deduct runs Jan - Dec. That will leave you room for your heart bypass and prostate surgery later in the year and it will get covered. Just sayin.

I dont know in the end if this is good or bad but it looks to be an option.

Last edited by pearl; 08-14-2019 at 04:31 PM.
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
pearl
King Salmon

Thought I would bump this subject back up to see if there were any additional opinions or real life experiences - good or bad .
Old 08-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #12
positize
Sturgeon

Here's a very informative article about the four major healthcare sharing plans available. Lots and lots of details.
https://www.kitces.com/blog/healthca...h-share-plans/

Here's another article that compares plans:
https://www.kitchenstewardship.com/r...ng-ministries/

Pearl, like you, I am between 60 and 65 and the cost for traditional health insurance is just astronomical. I am on the verge of trying to retire, but can't afford $2500/month Obamacare health insurance for my family. Those prices make any possibility of retirement out of the question. So the healthcare sharing plans are looking more and more like a viable alternative.

I have also been looking at supplementing with Direct Primary Care - where I pay a fixed monthly amount to my primary care physician instead of purchasing health insurance. I continue to be hopeful that there is another alternative to the ridiculously priced Obamacare.

At this point, it is looking like the CHM Gold Plan with Brother's Keeper is quite viable for my family situation. Since medi-share is an in-network plan and we will be moving to rural Southern Oregon where there are apparently few participating doctors, the CHM plan where you can pick any doctor is a good fit. Yes we will have to personally negotiate prices with our doctor, but I am up for that.

Last edited by positize; 08-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.
positize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
fishnhunt13
Chromer

I had never heard of these type of plans so I figured I'd look it up. An intriguing idea to be sure and worth thinking about.
I thought this guy's write up had some cautionary tales that are worth thinking thinking about.
https://www.wellsteps.com/blog/2019/...ishare-review/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishnhunt13 is offline   Reply With Quote