will lead-acid batteries short if submerged? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 05-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Dr Hook
Steelhead

Default will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

I was in the process of remounting my batteries into a spot a little lower in the forward bilge area. I am trying to think about potential problems. Is there a reasonable chance that these might short out if I take on some green water? I'd hate to be wet... and then also dead in the water...

Port: Newport Or
Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
chuck combs
Steelhead

Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hook View Post
i was in the process of remounting my batteries into a spot a little lower in the forward bilge area. I am trying to think about potential problems. Is there a reasonable chance that these might short out if i take on some green water? I'd hate to be wet... And then also dead in the water...
yes
chuck combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Dr Hook
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck combs View Post
yes
OK. High and dry they stay. Thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
LGB
Tuna!

A brief "Yes" does not completely answer the question. When you say submerged do you mean completely under water for a long period of time? Then particularly in salt water they will have a problem but not likely a dead short. If it is just a brief dousing then they should be OK but you will have to clean the contacts before long. If it happens frequently then another solution is needed. How about a battery box with a top cover? That would protect it from occasional dousing as long as the water didn't get deeper than the box. If it is the front storage (anchor) box on a Weldcraft Rebel there is a drain there so the water doesn't stay. I changed the factory aluminum cover on mine to a plastic water proof cover. It still gets some moisture in there so I have to prop it open between trips to dry it out.
Another problem with "un-sealed" batteries being submerged is possible (but unlikely) dilution of the battery acid.

Last edited by LGB; 05-16-2020 at 10:15 AM.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Dr Hook
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB View Post
A brief "Yes" does not completely answer the question. When you say submerged do you mean completely under water for a long period of time? Then particularly in salt water they will have a problem but not likely a dead short. If it is just a brief dousing then they should be OK but you will have to clean the contacts before long. If it happens frequently then another solution is needed. How about a battery box with a top cover? That would protect it from occasional dousing as long as the water didn't get deeper than the box. If it is the front storage (anchor) box on a Weldcraft Rebel there is a drain there so the water doesn't stay. I changed the factory aluminum cover on mine to a plastic water proof cover. It still gets some moisture in there so I have to prop it open between trips to dry it out.
Another problem with "un-sealed" batteries being submerged is possible (but unlikely) dilution of the battery acid.
Yes. I'd like to move them out of my rearward storage area to a forward floor bin in-between the front seats to free up some usable tackle storage. It wouldn't normally see water unless I took on a lot of green water from a wave or swamped. I just don't want to get into a situation where I couldn't restart the motors or use the radio in an emergency.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
Califbill
Chromer

Don’t know about salt water, but a car in a pool will keep the lights on for 2 hours. Augui Pabst drove a rental car in to the Mark Thomas Inn in Monterrey during the Laguna Seca races on a $100 bet in about 1962, Lights stayed on for a couple hours. In the boat, the salt water will carry some current and unless a sealed battery, will dilute the acid. Mine are on a platform in the transom near the top of the boat with the the top of the battery. Just enough room to slide the battery box cover over the battery.

Last edited by Califbill; 05-20-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
jimh
King Salmon

Assuming the bilge is the low point of the boat, I wouldn’t mount a battery there. That would be the last place to go dry assuming the bilge pump(s) are doing their job.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #8
Dr Hook
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califbill View Post
Don’t know about salt water, but a car in a pool will keep the lights on for 2 hours. Augui Pabst drove a rental car in to the Mark Thomas Inn in Monterrey during the Laguna Seca races on a $100 bet in about 1962, Lights stayed on for a couple hours. In the boat, the salt water will carry some current and unless a sealed battery, will dilute the acid. Mine are on a platform in the transom near the top of the boat with the the top of the battery. Just enough room to slide the battery box cover over the battery.
I remember hearing of some of the outragous antics of the old time racers. Bring back memories of Laguna Secca, the Corkscrew and Andretti curves. Can't wait for things to settle down and do a little Vintage class racing again.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Califbill
Chromer

I raced Laguna seca before Andretti Curve days. My B prod Vette coupe is seen in the start of Herbi The Love Bug movie for about 15 seconds at the start of the Laguna race. Raced from 66-73. Have not been to a vintage race for at least 15 years. I was there the year after the pool parking and the Mark Thomas had a NO PARKING sign anchored in the pool.

Last edited by Califbill; 05-23-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote