will lead-acid batteries short if submerged? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Dr Hook
Steelhead
 
Dr Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Salem
Posts: 173
Default will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

I was in the process of remounting my batteries into a spot a little lower in the forward bilge area. I am trying to think about potential problems. Is there a reasonable chance that these might short out if I take on some green water? I'd hate to be wet... and then also dead in the water...

__________________
Weldcraft 202 Rebel

Port: Newport Or
Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
chuck combs
Steelhead
 
chuck combs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: aumsville
Posts: 298
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hook View Post
i was in the process of remounting my batteries into a spot a little lower in the forward bilge area. I am trying to think about potential problems. Is there a reasonable chance that these might short out if i take on some green water? I'd hate to be wet... And then also dead in the water...
yes
chuck combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Dr Hook
Steelhead
 
Dr Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Salem
Posts: 173
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck combs View Post
yes
OK. High and dry they stay. Thx
__________________
Weldcraft 202 Rebel

Port: Newport Or
Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
LGB
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Springfield, OR
Posts: 1,174
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

A brief "Yes" does not completely answer the question. When you say submerged do you mean completely under water for a long period of time? Then particularly in salt water they will have a problem but not likely a dead short. If it is just a brief dousing then they should be OK but you will have to clean the contacts before long. If it happens frequently then another solution is needed. How about a battery box with a top cover? That would protect it from occasional dousing as long as the water didn't get deeper than the box. If it is the front storage (anchor) box on a Weldcraft Rebel there is a drain there so the water doesn't stay. I changed the factory aluminum cover on mine to a plastic water proof cover. It still gets some moisture in there so I have to prop it open between trips to dry it out.
Another problem with "un-sealed" batteries being submerged is possible (but unlikely) dilution of the battery acid.

Last edited by LGB; 05-16-2020 at 10:15 AM.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Dr Hook
Steelhead
 
Dr Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Salem
Posts: 173
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB View Post
A brief "Yes" does not completely answer the question. When you say submerged do you mean completely under water for a long period of time? Then particularly in salt water they will have a problem but not likely a dead short. If it is just a brief dousing then they should be OK but you will have to clean the contacts before long. If it happens frequently then another solution is needed. How about a battery box with a top cover? That would protect it from occasional dousing as long as the water didn't get deeper than the box. If it is the front storage (anchor) box on a Weldcraft Rebel there is a drain there so the water doesn't stay. I changed the factory aluminum cover on mine to a plastic water proof cover. It still gets some moisture in there so I have to prop it open between trips to dry it out.
Another problem with "un-sealed" batteries being submerged is possible (but unlikely) dilution of the battery acid.
Yes. I'd like to move them out of my rearward storage area to a forward floor bin in-between the front seats to free up some usable tackle storage. It wouldn't normally see water unless I took on a lot of green water from a wave or swamped. I just don't want to get into a situation where I couldn't restart the motors or use the radio in an emergency.
__________________
Weldcraft 202 Rebel

Port: Newport Or
Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
Califbill
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pleasanton, ca.
Posts: 948
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

Don’t know about salt water, but a car in a pool will keep the lights on for 2 hours. Augui Pabst drove a rental car in to the Mark Thomas Inn in Monterrey during the Laguna Seca races on a $100 bet in about 1962, Lights stayed on for a couple hours. In the boat, the salt water will carry some current and unless a sealed battery, will dilute the acid. Mine are on a platform in the transom near the top of the boat with the the top of the battery. Just enough room to slide the battery box cover over the battery.

Last edited by Califbill; 05-20-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
jimh
King Salmon
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
Posts: 7,703
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

Assuming the bilge is the low point of the boat, I wouldn’t mount a battery there. That would be the last place to go dry assuming the bilge pump(s) are doing their job.
__________________
Wear a PFD if you want to live. CCA Life Member. NRA Life Member.
jimh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #8
Dr Hook
Steelhead
 
Dr Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Salem
Posts: 173
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califbill View Post
Don’t know about salt water, but a car in a pool will keep the lights on for 2 hours. Augui Pabst drove a rental car in to the Mark Thomas Inn in Monterrey during the Laguna Seca races on a $100 bet in about 1962, Lights stayed on for a couple hours. In the boat, the salt water will carry some current and unless a sealed battery, will dilute the acid. Mine are on a platform in the transom near the top of the boat with the the top of the battery. Just enough room to slide the battery box cover over the battery.
I remember hearing of some of the outragous antics of the old time racers. Bring back memories of Laguna Secca, the Corkscrew and Andretti curves. Can't wait for things to settle down and do a little Vintage class racing again.
__________________
Weldcraft 202 Rebel

Port: Newport Or
Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Califbill
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pleasanton, ca.
Posts: 948
Default Re: will lead-acid batteries short if submerged?

I raced Laguna seca before Andretti Curve days. My B prod Vette coupe is seen in the start of Herbi The Love Bug movie for about 15 seconds at the start of the Laguna race. Raced from 66-73. Have not been to a vintage race for at least 15 years. I was there the year after the pool parking and the Mark Thomas had a NO PARKING sign anchored in the pool.

Last edited by Califbill; 05-23-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.18861 seconds with 23 queries