Wiring connection - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 05-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
RWTIII
Tuna!

Default Wiring connection

Self-Disclosure: When it comes to electrical wiring I’m mentally challenged. That said I’m installing a VHF radio and have a question about the wiring connections. Below I’ve attached photos of the front and back of my switch panel which has two unused switches, they are three-way switches. In the picture of the back any ideas of where to connect the + and – wires from the radio? It will also be connected to a NMEA 2000 backbone. The open switches are in the upper right corner of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	745943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elec..jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	745945  

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
joeer77
Chromer

Default Re: Wiring connection

Hard to tell just from photo.

Looks like you have 12V connected to each switch and a ground for the internal light bulb (when its on).

You need a volt meter to figure out which spades are hot with the switch in either on position. You got a 12V light bulb you can test with? If you dont have either you can experiment with the 12V red lead on the radio for each spade.

Ground the radio at your negative bus bar (where all the black wires come together under your panel). No need to ground at the switch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
RWTIII
Tuna!

Thanks, I do have a Multi Meter to find the power out on the switch and then run the negative to the fuse block, cross my fingers and pray I don't blow something up.
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
biederboat
King Salmon

The only issue you might have with using the meter is if you "short" one end across both +12V and ground (which at most should blow a fuse). For the VHF wiring, you should run this directly off of a breaker/fuse which should be on your buss bar and maybe should be on a dedicated circuit (not sharing a circuit with another device off of the same fuse/breaker). The negative should have a common terminal connection (ground strip or post).

There may be other issues related to wiring a VHF properly, might want to check online.

BB
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #5
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

You really shouldn't power your vhf from a gang switch power like that. Vhf is a safety device and if you have electrical issues you don't want it not working. It's one of the few things you want direct wired with a fuse, to the battery or a bus panel right near the battery. It shouldn't have the opportunity to fail if some other device blows a fuse or has a wiring issue. Run its own separate wires and just turn it off to power down the vhf. An auto bilge switch is the other thing needing wired this way.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
RWTIII
Tuna!

joeer77, bieder and QR thanks for your input and I understand the thinking about a direct connection to power. I've decided to use the fuse block and negative bus strip and not use the switch.