Wood floor refresh - darn adhesive.... - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 05-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
flashover52
Steelhead

Default Wood floor refresh - darn adhesive....

I’m refurbishing my boat. Pulled the old vinyl off the front section. My plan was to coat the wood which is in good shape with a thin layer of epoxy fiberglass resin and then Raptor Line it. Ran the belt sander over the adhesive side and it was simply turning to goo in areas. Was wondering if anyone had other experiences or ideas to share to make it go smoother than it is....

Maybe I should just revinyl??

flashover52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
fop
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Wood floor refresh - darn adhesive....

Ya think you could be getting it to hot with the sander?

fop
fop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
flashover52
Steelhead

It was actually gooey before I sanded and it gummed up on the belt. Was running 80 grit. Not sure if a handheld planer (which I don’t have) would work or running a router with a wide cutting bit a fraction of an inch down would work or gum up the blades. It’s one of those points in the project when you start questioning why did I start this!?!?

I haven’t used epoxy fiberglass before so I’m assuming this would not be a good base to start with....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Pensacola
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover52 View Post
It was actually gooey before I sanded and it gummed up on the belt. Was running 80 grit. Not sure if a handheld planer (which I don’t have) would work or running a router with a wide cutting bit a fraction of an inch down would work or gum up the blades. It’s one of those points in the project when you start questioning why did I start this!?!?

I haven’t used epoxy fiberglass before so I’m assuming this would not be a good base to start with....
For What It's Worth... I would use that piece of plywood as an excellent template for the new piece you could easily install. Whatever you decide to do it might be best to finish the reverse side of the new ply with something to keep the water out.

When I redo drift boat decks I like to use Herculiner (bed liner for trucks). A quart would finish both sides and give you an excellent traction surface that is waterproof. Scuff up the DRY plywood with that sander and the stuff will never come off. The only downside I've found with this product is that it will gray over time. It applies with a roller and is a very servicable product for this particular use.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
flashover52
Steelhead

Thanks, do you normally prime the drift boat plywood before applying Herculiner? Iam planning to use Raptor Liner which is another brand of bed liner paint like Herculiner. I am tempted to go get some more marine plywood but costs on this project are already beyond what I planned or hoped for. I can justify $20-30 on sanding belts or sanding discs but don’t have room for another couple hundred or more for plywood as I would need three sheets.

A coworker who does a lot of woodworking shared that I should be able to fiberglass over the top of this if I can give it one more time with a 30 grit belt on slow.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
flashover52
Steelhead

Update: an orbital sander with 40 grit works much better.....

Question still remains, would epixy fiberglass resin be necessary, preferred or extra effort/money?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #7
Califbill
Chromer

You really don’t need marine ply for floors. Marine ply just has no voids in the interior plys. Great for a transom, but not needed for,floors.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote