21 N/R Seahawk F150 Fuel Issues - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 05-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
JuneauDave
Cutthroat

Default 21 N/R Seahawk F150 Fuel Issues

I will start off by saying it is most likely my fault. Here is the deal. Before I put her away for the winter last year, I had a service done. Elements, thermostats, impellers, oil change, gear lube, etc. After that, she went under the tarp. I did not have a full tank of gas, and did not put any stabilizer in. Took out a couple times in the last couple weeks, and starts up, and then dies within 5 minutes. Kicker runs fine. pumped the ball, emptied the first filter on the motor and got it to run perfect for about 30 minutes. next time in the water same thing happened. I replaced the fuel water separator, it was pretty nasty and also the first inline filter on motor. Put her in the water and after a sluggish start, wide open was running 3k for a couple of minutes and then kicked in and was able to run at 4900rpm for a quick 15 mile run. I am about to clean the injectors and waiting on the gasket and filters for the VSP. I am pretty sure there is water in the tank, and I have no idea the best way to get it out. I am about 1/3 full so looking around 23 gallons or so. What is the best way to get the tank empty? Sorry so long...

JuneauDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

Default Re: 21 N/R Seahawk F150 Fuel Issues

I do all my own service but you'd think with a "full" fall service that fuel filters would've been changed(maybe they were?). Draining the existing fuel would be a last resort for me. I'd start with a fill with fresh fuel and run it. Keep an eye on the filters. You may be changing them for awhile if there's crud in there flushing thru the system. Is your fuel cap gasket good?
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
4labs
Chromer

Just drained 50 gals of premium fuel (ouch) that was in my Grady for 5yrs and tested marginal but just cant take the risk of old fuel.
Bought a 55gal drum at a fuel supplier and removed the fuel line from the kicker and fitting and squeezed the primmer and drained into 5gal can.
Takes forever.
The best way is positize way of buying a electric pump.
Once drained use only premium non ethanol and stabilizer, Im sure you will and run at home for a hr to see if that works.
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
socket985
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4labs View Post
Just drained 50 gals of premium fuel (ouch) that was in my Grady for 5yrs and tested marginal but just cant take the risk of old fuel.
Bought a 55gal drum at a fuel supplier and removed the fuel line from the kicker and fitting and squeezed the primmer and drained into 5gal can.
Takes forever.
The best way is positize way of buying a electric pump.
Once drained use only premium non ethanol and stabilizer, Im sure you will and run at home for a hr to see if that works.

Spot on, however premium or regular ethanol fuel does not matter. The ethanol is the issue & not the octane rating when it comes to storage. The aluminum gas tanks sweat as the tank is vented to the atmosphere. and that's why you should always have it at 3/4 full when it's the off season.

I've run the stable 360 and had zero issues, also those who run ethanol fuel will not always immediately encounter water in fuel issues. It takes time to build up enough water, where it becomes a problem. I had this happen to my buddy and his NR Honda.

Also carbon build up is an issue, and fuel stabilizer is not the solution. make sure your running a ring free/carbon type additive as well.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneauDave View Post
I will start off by saying it is most likely my fault. Here is the deal. Before I put her away for the winter last year, I had a service done. Elements, thermostats, impellers, oil change, gear lube, etc. After that, she went under the tarp. I did not have a full tank of gas, and did not put any stabilizer in. Took out a couple times in the last couple weeks, and starts up, and then dies within 5 minutes. Kicker runs fine. pumped the ball, emptied the first filter on the motor and got it to run perfect for about 30 minutes. next time in the water same thing happened. I replaced the fuel water separator, it was pretty nasty and also the first inline filter on motor. Put her in the water and after a sluggish start, wide open was running 3k for a couple of minutes and then kicked in and was able to run at 4900rpm for a quick 15 mile run. I am about to clean the injectors and waiting on the gasket and filters for the VSP. I am pretty sure there is water in the tank, and I have no idea the best way to get it out. I am about 1/3 full so looking around 23 gallons or so. What is the best way to get the tank empty? Sorry so long...
I had a f150 that ran sluggish could only get 3k rpms out of it. Changed filters and nothing took the injectors in and had them profesionally cleaned and boom back in business. It couldn't hurt. Cost me around a hundred bucks.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
adrenaline
King Salmon

I drained out all the fuel in my Seahawk last year(46 gal) to pull the tank for weld repairs, & again this year(34 gal) before the fuel goes bad cause it's been sitting since early Aug, & I don't know when I'll be fishing this year, all E-10, never saw any water, never use any stabil products either, my boat sits outside under a metal carport. It's slow going & a pain, but what I do is remove the kicker motor fuel line, re-run it out the bilge drain still attached to the FW separator, dig a hole for 5 gal cans to sit just below the ground level, line the hole with plastic to keep dirt away, pump the ball to get it going 5 gals at a time, use a wipe cloth wrapped around the hose where it enters the can to keep dust/debris out while it fills, a quick inspection to see if any water or dirt is present, than pour back into our autos so it doesn't go to waste.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
flatman
King Salmon

why dont people use stabil. it does work and isnt very expensive. is it some kind of stubborn reaction.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Salmonkiller78
Steelhead

I put Star-Tron in my fuel tank every time i fill up.... I'm also fortunate to have a ethanol free gas pump near my house where i fill up on my way to the launch.....
Old 05-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
JuneauDave
Cutthroat

Thanks everyone, I picked up a drum, going to go ahead and pull out the fuel. Where I filled it up last apparently has an issue with water getting into their tanks. Not sure if that is the reason, but all I can control is what is on my side. One good thing about Alaska, is we do not have any ethanol in our fuel, I guess that is good. ?. I picked up all of the parts needed to do a fuel injector cleaning, will get to that this weekend. Going to check the gasket on the fuel cap, and might end up changing the whole thing out since I found in some other threads that it might be a culprit. And for now on, stabil will be used.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #10
weld22
Steelhead

I'm sure you saw them, but there are some cool Youtube videos for cleaning your injectors at home.
weld22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #11
JuneauDave
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weld22 View Post
I'm sure you saw them, but there are some cool Youtube videos for cleaning your injectors at home.
I did, I picked up some wire, a switch, tubing and alligator clamps. Will make a nice little system, and be able to clean them out efficiently.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
adrenaline
King Salmon

Water in fuel is common from older storage tanks, especially in a very wet area like Juneau, if that's the case, no amount of stabil will help, but doesn't hurt either, really only a few places water can intrude, from the source, thru a leaky gas cap, or thru the back vent from backing down for Halibut or Bottomfish, if it came thru the back vent it could be saltwater, not likely to be saltwater in a Seahawk cause the swim platform blocks most of the direct splash, if it is saltwater intrusion you'll know as soon as you check the injectors, if they are very rusty, than you'll need to dig in further. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcraft View Post
I do all my own service but you'd think with a "full" fall service that fuel filters would've been changed(maybe they were?). Draining the existing fuel would be a last resort for me. I'd start with a fill with fresh fuel and run it. Keep an eye on the filters. You may be changing them for awhile if there's crud in there flushing thru the system. Is your fuel cap gasket good?
Don't ever put good gas in with bad gas. It doesn't turn the bad back to good. There is a product called K-100 on the market that helps to encapsulate the water molecules and make the fuel burnable most of the time. If you have way too much water it's just going to have to be drained plain and simple. You can pick up the K-100 here at Sportcraft and other marine supply stores and I believe now on line too.
bigfishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
JuneauDave
Cutthroat

I checked my gas fill, and you can tell water has been getting in. It's what came on the boat originally in 2004. It is a black Atwood with a little spring button lock. I stopped by my local marine store and they have 3 different fills, 2 made by Seadog 1 by Perko. Chrome with a plastic internal twist cap, a chrome plated zinc with splash guard, and a SS with locking twist cap. Any opinions? Pictures of the 3 here: https://www.alaskanlife.photography/boat
Old 05-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
adrenaline
King Salmon

My 08' has a stainless screw in gas cap with a o ring gasket, gasket will need replaced soon, but never a problem with leaking since I've owned the boat.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #16
JuneauDave
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
My 08' has a stainless screw in gas cap with a o ring gasket, gasket will need replaced soon, but never a problem with leaking since I've owned the boat.

That is the one I was thinking, just need to get my old one out, I am not sure if it has the vent hose connection on it or not.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #17
Idatuna
Steelhead

I was getting water in the fuel from water on the rail leaking under the gas cap assembly and into the gas line. Sealed the gas cap to the rail and haven't had a problem. I had about 50 gallons of fuel to deal with. Didn't buy fuel for the old chevy for months. Also fuel removal was much easier after I pulled the floor boards and accessed the top of the tank directly. I also wanted to check the sending unit for leaks.

I've been using star-tron but have been told by dealer that it collects moisture somehow. Anybody heard of this?
Idatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #18
JuneauDave
Cutthroat

I rigged up a transfer pump and got all of the fuel out. I also did an oil change, and pulled the injectors and rigged them up with a switch and air compressor to clean them out. They were pretty sticky, but now all are making a beautiful foggy mist. Put 20 gallons of fresh fuel in her and got her on the water. Because of the prop, I usually topped out at about 4800-4900, this round it went right to 50, and the 52 when trimmed up a bit more. Just received my order for VST gasket and filters, will do that after I change the fuel fill and vent tomorrow. Thanks for all of the input guys.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2615.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	745893

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2623.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	745895