Time is running out - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2000 archives

Old 12-29-2000, 10:42 PM   #1
Phish_on

Default Time is running out

for me to catch a steelhead in the year 2000 ... but also to take the On-Line Boating Safety Course at http://www.boatus.com/
to satisfy your future Oregon motorboat operating regulation and whatever.
Just finished it, got my diploma. It wasn't that easy either. Well I scored 89%, I dispute a couple of questions.

They claim a "tide table" shows the height of the tide and the speed of the current.

I would call that a "tide chart" or a "tidal current table" ! I say a tide table only shows the height and time. And the phone # of the bait shop, etc.

Go take the "course" it looks like the easiest way to go - and the most FREE. Have to do it by Dec. 31 ! ! !

Just noticed something ! The certificate shows Eastern Time - - so if you're going down to the wire, get there 3 hours early !!

[This message has been edited by Phish_on (edited 12-29-2000).]

Phish_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2000, 08:51 AM   #2
Torchman

Default Re: Time is running out

Pilar,
Pretty Cool link! I scored a 92, but had a prob with the wording on a couple, also! And I boned a couple stupid ones!!!! I'm a Coastie (Qualified Boarding Officer, Deck Watch Officer, Aids to Nav Technician...etc!!) and a couple threw me!!!!! For NavRules...this is a pretty good link to a prog I like to use... http://www.navrules.com/
And if anyone sees a big ugly dude in an 18 footer with twin 70's climbing around on a buoy or a light on the Columbia from the mouth to Bonneville, (or Tilly and Grays Harbor!) stop on by and say hello! I just stumbled on this board a week or so ago, and really enjoy it!! (Hot metalhead tips appreciated!)

Torchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 12:13 PM   #3
First Bite

Phish I took the test and stumbled on that question about the tides also. That's a new one to me. I passed so that's all that matters.

Welcome a board Torchman. This site is full of tips to get out there and catch the steelies, Salmon and/or Sturgeon.
Mark

Ifish member #5

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" Bob Seger, Against The Wind
First Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2000, 01:38 PM   #4
Trick
King Salmon

Good idea, will cost you money if you do it later. I recieved an 87%, but I swear there were a couple questions that didn't jive with the info. that I recieved off their website???
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 11:21 PM   #5
Han Solo
King Salmon

Yee haw! Boating for 20+ years and now I have the license. Does this give me any special priveledges? Or extra fish killing skill or luck?

This is a good thing, I'm just unclear about the real slow approach to it. Is the intent to license boaters like motor vehicle operators or just to educate and inform?

Hey Torchman, it was Phish_on's link, but I'll take whatever kudo's you got. Jen and RT are to blame for the killer site, thank them. I'm driving a white on blue 19' bayliner, says 'Pilar' on it. I haunt any water deeper than three feet without rapids in it in Oregon, salt or fresh.

BTW Torchman, any Coastie is just short of a hero to me, some of them are actual heroes. Meet me at any tavern and I'll buy you a beer and tell you some stories of Coast Guard heroism I've witnessed up close and personal.

Only one day left, go get it, not all that hard to do, I did a 96 after taking the practice test. All 3 missed Q's had to do with PWC's. Personally I hate the damn things and want have a bonfire of them at the 42nd St. boat ramp!

The bend is your friend!
Old 12-31-2000, 07:47 PM   #6
Trout,myster
Tuna!

Pilar- let us know where your bonfire for the PWCs is going to be!! It's not all of them, but sure a large portion of the screaming little doo-dads! Hopefully, the boater test requirement may thin out some of them, at least the less intelligent.

------------------
Troutmyster
Old 12-31-2000, 08:37 PM   #7
4u2fish

Watch out all I passed and will be on the water again in 2001

------------------
AKC H2O-K9
4u2fish is offline   Reply With Quote