"stripping" gear - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2000 archives

Old 12-28-2000, 04:53 PM   #1
Phish_on

Default Re: "stripping" gear

I would have to agree there ... I will strip the line in with a dinky fish but any fish who can take out the slack gets fought from the reel.

I've lost some big fish trying to strip in the line fast enough by hand.

In "The River Why" it's just a purity deal ... I think you must have a hand-made split bamboo rod at least 10' long. Then you must use 2 lb. tippet and follow the chinook clear up the stream with no pressure on the line, etc etc etc

Phish_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2000, 06:56 PM   #2
Gillfish3
Chromer

What I have found the basket useful for was making long casts with a shooting taper fly line, but once you hook a fish, it would be wise to get it on the reel as quick as possible. Nothing worse than getting a nice fish and having the fly line wrapping around the butt of the rod and the fish makes a long run....bye bye fish....trust me I have been there, not fun.
Old 12-28-2000, 07:35 PM   #3
SSPey
Chromer

Reels aren't used merely to hold the line for trout - a smooth drag on a reel is essential when fishing small (20 and smaller) flies on light (6x and 7x) tippet. Stripping baskets are best used in long distance casting situations when wading, to hold line out of the water for less resistance when shooting line. Make one out of a tupperware container and a belt
SSPey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2000, 08:41 PM   #4
Pete
Administrator

Gillfish has it right. When casting for steelhead on a big river, the only way to get that 80 or 90 foot cast is to shoot the line. This requires a well timed double haul technique to really load the rod up by false casting the 35 foot head section of the line. When the rythym is right a mighty tug on the line in one hand and forward stroke with the rod, followed by a release of the line as the line off the tip of the rod straightens, lets the momentum of the line pull the slack line from the basket to get the long cast.
As soon as a fish hits all slack line needs to be taken up by the reel.
Baskets range from the tupperware model to sophisticated ones with fingers to keep the coils of line from looping over each other.
Another technique to achieve the same result is to hold several loops of line loosely in the non-rod hand. This technique, however, is difficult to master since while double-hauling the rapid hand motion of the line hand tends to cause the loops of line to tangle.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 08:52 PM   #5
SSPey
Chromer

Wanted to add one thing. Stripping baskets are useful if you want to have a really fast retrieve of the line. Cast out, stick the rod in your armpit, and retrieve (strip) line in with two hands, hand over hand. Place the stripped line in the basket. This gives a much faster retrieve than possible with one hand - twice as fast - and the stripping basket acts as a place to dump the line. With a fast two hand retrieve it is difficult to hold loops of line in the hand. Good for any species that likes to chase its food, mostly a saltwater thing
SSPey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 10:15 PM   #6
Deleted User

Pete, I prefer holding the loops in my left hand. But I still use the stripping basket ... for twinkies and candy bars and etc. ....

Hey, I got a good practical joke ... wait a sec, if I put it here it won't work on the river (SK, get the cam ready )
Old 12-28-2000, 11:29 PM   #7
Hoosier Daddy
Ifish Nate

Default "stripping" gear

No not THAT kind..!!! I have seen some mention of this in a few places. 'The River Why' and Bill Luch's steelhead book to name two. Basically consists of a long rod, with the reel used only to store line, then you strip enough line out to cast and put in a belly basket etc. and cast lining it out by hand. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this, where I could dig up some details, what kind of gear you would use, etc.

Hoosier Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 11:42 PM   #8
SailCat
Chromer

chinookie-

In the case of trout fishing (or fly fishing for any of the smaller species) the reel is used only to store the line, primarily when you're *not* fishing. The line is stripped, retrieved, and the fish is fought all by hand. When you're through for the day, the line goes back on the reel.

It's only when fishing for larger species (salmon or steelhead, f'rinstance) that the enough line would be taken where a reel with a good drag might be preferable.

Stripping baskets should be available at any full-line tackle store or (at a premium) a fly fishing specialty shop. A basket keeps the loose line coils from being pulled away by the current of the river.

~Michael T.

Member #106
SailCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 11:59 PM   #9
4u2fish

I have seen the basket tactic in use and it seems to work well although I have **always** gone under the premis of getting the fish on the reel asap. That is to say that when I hook a fish I will attempt to get all excess line to the reel and do the majority of my fighting from that point. Works for me and I feel that fighting from the rood/reel is more exciting than handling the line dirrectly.. Just IMHO

------------------
AKC H2O-K9
4u2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 07:14 AM   #10
Hoosier Daddy
Ifish Nate

Thanks guys. Has anyone used this method other than flyfishing?? I got the impression it could be done drift fishing with mono or something. Flyfishing's fun, but I can't keep the damned things out of my ears!!

Old 12-29-2000, 07:39 AM   #11
WheresMyBobber

chnookie

I've had to cast and fish like that before in tight areas with mono and traditional drift gear, but found it very hard to do. I've never seen anybody else doing it as a regular fishing technique either. It's very hard to aim a cast accurately like that because of the weight, and I surely wouldn't want to be holding the mono in my hand trying to fight a steelhead. Trout....maybe.

Anything going on down in the Cross Park area?
WheresMyBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 08:29 AM   #12
Hoosier Daddy
Ifish Nate

I was in Cross Park this morning for 45 min or so before work. Lots of guys fishing, didn't see any fish though. My rock started getting a little crowded. Haven't heard much good, though I have seen a couple fish pulled out.

Old 12-29-2000, 08:40 PM   #13
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

Some of the most classic fishing I have ever witnessed was saltwater 'Stripping' for salmon in Discovery Passage off of Vancouver Island.

Long rods and single action reels, using woven stripping baskets in the bottom of their lapstrake style boats, the local veterans would strip a desired portion of line into the basket. Silently and elegantly their long rods would launch a herring and a couple ounce mooching sinker parallel with the kelp lines where bait sparkled and boiled. Let the bait drop...strip in...let the bait drop, and so on. It was graceful, akin to watching a good fly fisherman working a flat lake.

When the hook was set, the sound of line sizzling from the basket, through wet hands and guides was exhilerating. When the tension seared down on the traditonal single action reel it sounded as if it was screaming for mercy.

These classic gentlemen appeared to take catching and losing all calmly in stride. Frequently rebaiting,they patiently repeated their practiced perfection until one by one, limits of chubby coho and big shouldered springs required that they row away.

I felt foolishly consumptive as I watched with my overpowered boat, stainless bearinged,5 to 1 reel and fish finder. My empty fishbox was not an issue. I enjoyed every second of the hours I had spent watching.