Flaming political post - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2000 archives

Old 12-29-2000, 07:51 AM   #1
Hoosier Daddy
Ifish Nate

Default Flaming political post

RT - I'm putting this here because you didn't want another flaming political thread, this way you can delete it if necessary and keep your post on Vitally Interesting News part 1.

Normally, I agree with alot of what you say, it usually seems pretty reasonable. And even with this, I have no problem whatsoever with you expressing your opinion. However, in this instance I got a little perturbed. You said you didn't want to start a political thread about this, because it was not debatable, but factual, etc. Then you proceeded to lambast folks who were stupid enough to vote for Bush even though they were warned not too (I know these aren't your words, but that's how it came across). I'm going to say it right here, even though I shouldn't. I voted for GW. Not because I really wanted to, but because I can't stand Gore, and Nader was a little too out there for me. I really considered going libertarian too. Anyway, I posted a couple weeks ago, in the Sore-Loserman, asking the same question as to how many people voted for who they thought was best for the job, versus who could give them what they wanted.
My take is this. I work in a field that would have been much better served by having Gore, as I believe he is more environmentally-sound. However, I also believe Al Gore jumped on the bandwagon of environmentalism, which makes him smart, but I don't believe he would have done so if it wasn't as popular as it has been. Anyway....
I voted for GW because I thought he would make a better president. I realize he has come out against things like taking down the dams, but my view is a least he has an opinion about it, he isn't sitting and waiting for the trial balloon to go up so he can see what his view should be, and he stood by his decision to oppose that all the way through. Al would tell us anything we need to hear to get the vote. My opinion.
These are all my opinions, and I realize there are some spots that can be picked apart. But none of us need someone telling us we were fools for voting for who we voted for. Even if you voted for Gore based on his environmental policy, you were voting for him to improve things, so rivers would get better, and eventually, you could catch more fish, or your kids could catch fish. Great. But that is also a "what can you give ME" stand.
As another note, I'm not up on politics like I used to be, but I believe Clinton/Gore campaigned and raised beaucoup bucks themselves. Their money may have come from elsewhere, but only corporations have the money to give, so they must have got it from somewhere. ALL politicians pander to who has the money when they need it. ALL OF THEM. So let's be fair and realize that if Al Gore was there, he'd have his hand out too. Maybe to different people who you or I might find more or less offensive, but the palm would be up, guaranteed.

I don't want to **** anyone off here, because I really don't care who you voted for. I'm not the type to tell you who you need to vote for or how dumb you were when you did it (had a hard time keeping my mouth shut about Slick Willie though!!), and if George Jr. does a crappy job, I will be the first to say so, and yes, I will still admit to voting for him.

Sorry to make such a long political post.

Hoosier Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2000, 08:00 AM   #2
THE REEL HEY_YALL

Default Re: Flaming political post

I like Bush because he kills people. What is Texas up to now, 38 so far this year? Now that is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Maybe it will send a message to the whole country about how Bush doesn't care for the murderous, pedophiling, ******, etc. knuckle draggers that feed on people. Again, I am not saying the better man won, and frankly I don't care if RT gave his opinion or not when he posted. These political posts/replies never have and never will bother me. I still don't see how people can just freak out that the world is going to crumble in the 4 years (minimum) he will be in office. And yes, Gore is just a bandwagon buddy. I mean, he invented the internet. He invented pants.
THE REEL HEY_YALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 08:06 AM   #3
Hoosier Daddy
Ifish Nate

No, I INVENTED PANTS!!
Loved that commercial.
The political stuff doesn't bother me, just the way it was presented did.
And exactly what I mean -- no the world is not going to end because Bush or Gore got the White House. Had a hard time convincing my sister-in-law of this too. She was too busy convincing me GW was an SOB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2000, 12:37 PM   #4
Deleted User

Good points and well taken Chnookie. Some clarification might help you feel better about that post/thread of mine though. It was not an indictment (you said "lambasted folks") for you guys that voted for Bush. It was an 'I told you so' to the few guys who tried to deny the credible evidence presented by political watchdog groups as being partisan bogus in their appraisal of Bush as a threat to the environment and fish. It was so obvious all along. That's why I used the correct term of 'undebatable' concerning that particular pre-election bullsh*t. That is what it was. And now the truth about Gee Dub is coming out slowly but surely. Please excuse my condescending 'told ya so' points about this; I didn't want to offend you. Just defend truths. As for lambasting anybody's vote, that would amount to farting in a whirlwind, because half the country voted one way and half the other. In those circumstances nobody can be put down as wrong. But the certain ramifications of some outcomes can be stated. In a historic election full of irony, it's ironic that you would vote for GWB despite you saying Gore would have been better for your job status, and I voted for Gore while Bush will likely enlarge my portfolio that contains a significant amount of big corporate stocks. That's because he is going to unleash the foxes into the hen house - big time. - RT ...

Edit: Thanks for listing this topic upfront as "Flaming political post"; that way nobody can complain about it because they can just not click on it, knowing what it is about.

[This message has been edited by RT (edited 12-29-2000).]
Old 12-29-2000, 12:40 PM   #5
Hoosier Daddy
Ifish Nate

Alrighty then.
Still think Gore and Bush are nearly two sides of the same coin, but I getcha.

Old 12-29-2000, 01:50 PM   #6
Tanner
Sturgeon

Personally I think Terrible Ted Nugent should be President. He would take good care of tree huggers and corporate monsters all in one fell swoop.

------------------
Work is for people who have an expensive fishing habit to support.

[This message has been edited by Tanner (edited 12-29-2000).]
Old 12-29-2000, 10:55 PM   #7
backlash
Steelhead

Hey Tanner. You gotta love the "Motor City Madman", coining such phrases, "whack'em and stack'em and my personal favorite "you can't grill it untill you kill it".
backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 11:04 PM   #8
Phish_on

Ted puts the "nut" in "gun nut" all right!

'I like Bush because he kills people' hee hee hee that's the best one I've heard yet, that's great, love it, yessir.

Check out all the people he's appointing, might as well have dug up Dick Nixon and re-elected him ...

They'd call Dick a tree-huggin liberal, actually.
Phish_on is offline   Reply With Quote