hunter orange - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
cheyenne10
Steelhead

Default hunter orange

What are everyones feelings on wearing hunter/blaze orange? Seems like Oregon is the last not requiring it. As we bring youth into the sport we need to keep progressing to a better example. I did not start out life for many yrs wearing a seatbelt but always do now and my kids wouldn't think of leaving one off, it has never been an option. I think we could save a few accidents and near misses with requirement.

If opposed what are good reasons?

cheyenne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
No Fences
King Salmon

Default Re: hunter orange

Archery-NO
Rifle/Muzzleloader-YES.
No Fences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

I do not see a problem with it for big game Rife hunts I wear it rp
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
gobeavs79
Steelhead

I am all for it
gobeavs79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
ICHTHYDEMON

I'd wear HO even if it wasn't the law. It hasn't stopped me from killing deer and elk. It may have stopped me from being killed though.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Bearden
Steelhead

I always wondered if mandatory hunter orange could perhaps cause extra danger to the non-hunters in the woods (mushroompickers, hikers, etc). Example: Irresponsible hunter with a hair tag hears a noise and sees a brown shape moving through the brush and shoots because he doesn't see hunter orange. I don't know if this is a legitimate concern, a person would have to check the statistics on the demographics of who is being mistaken for game in areas that require hunter orange for hunters.

IMO, each hunter is totally responsible for correctly identifying their target and hunter orange should not be required. I hope Oregon doesn't require hunter orange, but if they do, how about a "hunter red" option?

Bearden
Bearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
baltz526
King Salmon

NO, i do not want the state to dress me. i'm an adult and i can change my own diapers
Old 03-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
huntinfool
Ifish Nate

I don't like being seen. IMO, you are more likely to get "scoped" by another hunter if he see's you. I hunt where nobody else does. I vote no on Mandatory hunter orange. Keep your laws off my body! If you want to wear it, then by all means feel free.
huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
lor
Ifish Nate

Archery - No
Upland - Yes
Rifle Doe Tag - Yes
Waterfowl - No.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
sandman
Ifish Nate

I don't wear it,but my kids will
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
jjelkhorn
Chromer

I've watched too many people scope out the orange dot across the canyon to wear orange. I've wore it when hunting on drives with other people, but that was my Choice. As has been said before keep your laws off my body!
That being said the only place I absolutely won't go without wearing orange is on pheasant fee hunts. Too many people hunting in a small area in thick brush. I want someone to see me coming from far out.
jjelkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
in 'em

If you're hunting where there are others, wear it...not just to keep from getting shot, but so others can see you and stay out of the way...and hopefully others wear it so you don't waste your time hunting towards them.
If I'm away from most other hunters though, I keep it off to avoid being scoped, etc.
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
SImudBogger
Brood stock

I don't understand how wearing hunter orange would get you scoped more often. I would be much more likely to throw my rifle scope up on the moving object that blends in with its souroundings. I wear at least a hat.

Anyway this comes up every year on here. It's gonna be a 2 pager.

In'em im not crticizing you but your statement contradicts itself. You say wear it to avoid being shot but your last sentance says dont wear it to avoid being scoped. I would think getting scoped is the first step in getting shot.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

How many people are shot in Or. each year? I don't know the numbers but I watched them in Wa. when they made it mandatory and there was no difference. Most hunting accidents are self inflicted so ho wont help.Why mandate a law for no reason. They need to worry more about atv's and poaching than ho being worn.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
lor
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SImudBogger View Post
I don't understand how wearing hunter orange would get you scoped more often.
Real simple Steve, alot of people simply don't carry binoculars.
When they see something, the scope comes up to take a closer look.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #16
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

When they outlaw doughballs walking around with a shell in the chamber I would "consider" wearing orange.

To many idiots dont have binoculars, see somebody and thing they must know something I dont, and look at them with the rifle scope WITH A SHELL CHAMBERED.

If the doughballs cant see me, they cant scope me.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #17
nakoa
Ifish Nate

i don't want to be seen plus i'm a big boy know and can dress myself
Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #18
fishandcrawl
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lor View Post
Archery - No
Upland - Yes
Rifle Doe Tag - Yes
Waterfowl - No.
First things first, we need to get rid of the doe tags and cut down on cow tags. Then the dough balls would have to make sure of there targets and no sound shots. But it starts from training hunters and parents need to do that training.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #19
baltz526
King Salmon

most firearms accidents happen while hunting with shotguns, bird hunting. to mandate hunter orange while big game hunting is just trying to solve a problem that is nonexistant, statisticly. you have many thousands of more opportunitys to be injured on your way to and from hunting in your YUGO or HUMMER
Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
boatman
Tuna!

If you belive you should have to wear orange, don't forget to take your MOTHER with you when you go outside, you may get cold. Laws don't stop law breakers.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 AM   #21
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

I ALWAYS wear it when I'm rifle hunting, you'd have to be crazy not to. But I feel that it should not be manditory. I'm a big boy, I can dress myself.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #22
Old Guys Rule
Tuna!

Upland hunting YES you are in close quarters with quick swinging shots, orange stands out and will prevent you from pulling a Cheney.

All others NO NO NO it should be a personal choice you have depending on your situation.

1) To shoot a big game animal you must identify it is a legal animal, then identify a lethal spot to shoot at. YOU DO NOT SHOOT AT BODYS. How can you shoot at a person unless you are just shooting at a moving object? Mandatory hunter orange will just allow slobs to shoot at more moving bodys, because no orange so it must be a critter, right?

2) If you are going to require hunters to wear orange for safety, then should you not require ALL persons in the woods to wear orange? I laugh at the pictures of the guided Montana hunter in an orange vest with the outfitter in full camo and the packer in Carharts standing next to him. Yeah that orange vest makes it all safe...

3) Back to the slobs shooting at bodys argument. Fifteen years ago or so Oregon had a hunter's choice option. The last weekend of the season an unused buck tag was good for any deer in Western Oregon. Five people were shot in "mistaken for game" hunting accidents the last year that was offered. ODFW changed the hunt and started all the doe tags. Now you had to identify if it was a legal deer, not just any deer, so you were more careful with what target you shot at. ALL FIVE OF THE SHOT PERSONS WERE WEARING ORANGE OR RED. ALL SHOOTINGS WERE IN MARGINAL LIGHT CONDITIONS. In these cases hunter orange actually caused the shootings, in the dim light the bright colors looked like deer butts running away. If thiose guys were wearing camo they would not have been seen by the slobs that were shooting at bodys.

I contend mandatory hunter ed classes, regardless of age would better serve a safety push than mandatory hunter orange. Something else to consider, if wearing orange makes you so safe then how come the sate cops in the field don't wear it?
Old Guys Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #23
Dan360
Sturgeon

I like it when I'm hunting upland birds. It gives you something in your peripheral vision that is unmistakable (Dick Cheney jokes withheld).

I don't like it too much when I'm hunting deer with a rifle because, like many people have mentioned, I've been scoped by other fools. I think people who use their rifle scope for anything other than its intended purpose, an aiming device for shooting, should be beaten with a heavy boot.

Also, the only time I've been shot at, I was wearing all the orange I could muster. A deer got between me and another hunter in an open field and he let loose. A bullet fired from his 270 hit three feet to my right after he missed the deer. I was not a happy camper.

TEAM PURIST
Dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #24
mtn300
Ifish Nate

NO I can dress myself in another color maybe red or blue. It is a good idea but don't make it mandatory.
mtn300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
OutdoorBum
Tuna!

I wear it personally, but I'm fully aware it may make no difference because there are so many idiots out there. And if you're hunting with guys that scope orange objects with a chambered shell...thats PROOF of the overpopulation of idiots in the woods.

I do believe a mandatory orange law wouldn't always be followed (obviously) and may make the aforementioned idiots shoot at more non-orange objects. And if you do make it law, why not make a GPS (and the knowledge to use it) mandatory so hunters aren't lost? Where does it end?

Basically, there are just some people that don't belong out there, and its the responsibility of good woodsman to find a way to keep them home, and poor woodsman to admit they just shouldn't leave the couch.
OutdoorBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #26
ehunter
King Salmon

I wear it some times but I always wear at least a bright red hat. All the other guys in other states that are required to wear it seem to kill deer and elk just fine. I do wear the Orange break up mostly.

Wearing it just like defensive driving I do it for my own protection and to protect some one else. For example if I can see a deer on your side of the canyon and I can see you I will not be shooting but if I can't see you and I see a deer and I shoot who's fault is it. I want you to see me as well. If you see me and still shoot your idiot and there is no way to idiot proof every thing but it can't hurt.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #27
Friendly Fisher
Chromer

I wear the hunter O. Camo vest. I've had deer walk 5 yards from me and not even know I was there. They can't see it. FF
Friendly Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #28
Bootstrap Bill
Chromer

waterfowl - yes
archery - yes
upland - no
rifle - no
falconry - yes

Bootstrap Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #29
Dan360
Sturgeon

Your average falconer really should wear blaze orange. I agree.

TEAM PURIST
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #30
mpmax
Chromer

I believe wearing orange in the forest violates "leave no trace". You'll be detracting from someone else's 'natural' experience in the outdoors by wearing a color not found there. Putting your safety above the natural environment is selfish. Shame on you.
mpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #31
ElkMaster78
Chromer

Hunted Colorado this past year and really liked the idea of everyone having to wear it during rifle seasons. I would be for it.
Tony
ElkMaster78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #32
Got One!
Chromer

As its been touched upon already, there are so many half-wits out there already that scope everything they see. I was scoped three times last year by hunters with a friggin pair of Binoculars around their neck , and by another when I did have blaze on without the Binos. I have been sprayed with shotgun pellets while in a full blaze vest and hat, upland hunting. As long as stupid exists in the field, I don't think it matters what you wear. Less Government = Better. Hunters should be allowed to legally beat people that scope them.

I'm seriously contemplating giving up Deer season...probably Elk also.
Got One! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #33
OutdoorBum
Tuna!

Hunters should be allowed to legally beat people that scope them.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #34
CombinationLicense
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guys Rule View Post
Upland hunting YES you are in close quarters with quick swinging shots, orange stands out and will prevent you from pulling a Cheney.

All others NO NO NO it should be a personal choice you have depending on your situation.

1) To shoot a big game animal you must identify it is a legal animal, then identify a lethal spot to shoot at. YOU DO NOT SHOOT AT BODYS. How can you shoot at a person unless you are just shooting at a moving object? Mandatory hunter orange will just allow slobs to shoot at more moving bodys, because no orange so it must be a critter, right?

2) If you are going to require hunters to wear orange for safety, then should you not require ALL persons in the woods to wear orange? I laugh at the pictures of the guided Montana hunter in an orange vest with the outfitter in full camo and the packer in Carharts standing next to him. Yeah that orange vest makes it all safe...

3) Back to the slobs shooting at bodys argument. Fifteen years ago or so Oregon had a hunter's choice option. The last weekend of the season an unused buck tag was good for any deer in Western Oregon. Five people were shot in "mistaken for game" hunting accidents the last year that was offered. ODFW changed the hunt and started all the doe tags. Now you had to identify if it was a legal deer, not just any deer, so you were more careful with what target you shot at. ALL FIVE OF THE SHOT PERSONS WERE WEARING ORANGE OR RED. ALL SHOOTINGS WERE IN MARGINAL LIGHT CONDITIONS. In these cases hunter orange actually caused the shootings, in the dim light the bright colors looked like deer butts running away. If thiose guys were wearing camo they would not have been seen by the slobs that were shooting at bodys.

I contend mandatory hunter ed classes, regardless of age would better serve a safety push than mandatory hunter orange. Something else to consider, if wearing orange makes you so safe then how come the sate cops in the field don't wear it?

This is so close to my take on mandatory hunter orange that it's not worth rewriting it differently! I voluntarily wear hunter orange during deer, elk and upland bird seasons and the kids too. However, pedestrians get killed by cars driving on the sidewalk too but we don't make them wear high-viz vests.

"CL"
CombinationLicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #35
wheelerite
Steelhead

in the last 25 years I have used hunter orange twice and both times i was shot at. I wont use it unless I have to hunt where you have to use it. those are the only times I have been shot at that I know of.
k. smith

Last edited by wheelerite; 03-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.
wheelerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #36
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorBum View Post
I do believe a mandatory orange law wouldn't always be followed (obviously)...
That might be true in a state such as this one, where that requirement isn't ingrained into hunting population.

I've hunted in North Dakota, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Montana and Washington (all states where there is some type of orange requirement) and I never came across anyone not following that particular law.

I currently wear it in this state for deer and elk hunting because that is what I am used to doing; I admit to having removed it for each of my antelope hunts since I am legally allowed to do so, no other hunter was in the area that I was hunting, and belly crawling is more fun in camo.

For those involved in hunter education and/or those with kids, does it seem like there is a mixed message with ODFW Hunter Education promoting the use of hunter orange for safety reasons and adult hunters refusing to use it due to the possibility of being "scoped"?

On that same note, is there a parent in this forum who has told a hunter education instructor that their daughter/son WON'T be using hunter orange for that specific reason? If so, what response did you get receive from the instructor, if any?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #37
jokester
King Salmon

You can't fix stupid, and as long as there is the privilege of hunting, there will be those people who just don't get it! They're the ones whol take "sound shots" or claim, "I THOUGHT I saw antlers!" right after they put a hole into their buddy. As previously mentioned, they're also the ones who throw up their scope to check "it" (note: IT being something that they haven't clearly identified yet!) out when they see movement...although they have a perfectly good pair of binos hanging around their neck!

That being said, it's pretty simple really...

If you like it hunter orange, and want to wear it, you should choose to do so. If you don't, and think it increases your chances of getting shot at or scope, you have that option too. HOWEVER, I don't think it's ODFW's job to dress me in the field and decide what I can and can't wear.

Personally, I wear hunter orange when it's rifle deer season, but not during archery elk season.

IMHO...it should be the hunter's choice...not ODFW's.

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." - Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #38
Dan360
Sturgeon

I tend to hunt open country and have time to prep my shots. I keep my rifle slung on my shoulder until I am ready to shoot. I don't even chamber a cartridge until I'm ready to shoot. I use my binoculars and spotting scope to look at things. It doesn't seem like a hard concept. My rifle scope is just a means to aim my rifle, nothing more.

TEAM PURIST
Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #39
OutdoorBum
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
That might be true in a state such as this one, where that requirement isn't ingrained into hunting population.

I've hunted in North Dakota, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Montana and Washington (all states where there is some type of orange requirement) and I never came across anyone not following that particular law.

I currently wear it in this state for deer and elk hunting because that is what I am used to doing; I admit to having removed it for each of my antelope hunts since I am legally allowed to do so, no other hunter was in the area that I was hunting, and belly crawling is more fun in camo.

For those involved in hunter education and/or those with kids, does it seem like there is a mixed message with ODFW Hunter Education promoting the use of hunter orange for safety reasons and adult hunters refusing to use it due to the possibility of being "scoped"?

On that same note, is there a parent in this forum who has told a hunter education instructor that their daughter/son WON'T be using hunter orange for that specific reason? If so, what response did you get receive from the instructor, if any?

I have kids and I DO require them to wear orange, but thats up to me and my parenting I guess. Its interesting that people in the states you've hunted wear it (according to your observation) and thats a good thing...the more orange the better in my opinion. So continue to do so with Hunter Ed....promote it in the classes.

Yet its mandating the color that I find an interesting topic, because I'll bet that even in the states you mentioned, somewhere, somebody, wasn't wearing it...lets face it, the guys on this thread who were scoped or shot at probably won't wear it, even with a law. And what about other more important mandates? Should we not make it "mandatory" to leave your safety on until you're ready to shoot? Shouldn't it be mandatory to wear a life jacket crossing a bar? I mean, you could mandate a TON of things, but in the end, its common sense that keeps you alive, whether its the woods or I-5. As Jokester put it...you can't fix stupid.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #40
driven2fish
Ifish Nate

When I lived in Oregon I loved not having to wear it. I always felt safer knowing a lot of the people couldn't see me easily. I was mostly a still hunter so I wasn't moving around a lot. The reality to me is there are idiots out there that are going to shoot people and blaze orange isn't going to fix them.
driven2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #41
Chesapeake
King Salmon

Hunter Orange doesnt stop idiots from scoping you. But atleast they know I'm not an animal and wont accidently miss identify me.

Besides I think it would make me feel more comfortable about returning fire knowing that theres no way thier shooting at me was accidental.

Personaly I havent ever noticed any negative effects as far as animals and camo are involved. They seem to locate you by detecting movement more than anything. If your still you could likely wear any color you wanted.

But I will admit I feel a little funny being fully decked out in camo and then putting a blaze orange vest on over it.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #42
KeHols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
When they outlaw doughballs walking around with a shell in the chamber I would "consider" wearing orange.

To many idiots dont have binoculars, see somebody and thing they must know something I dont, and look at them with the rifle scope WITH A SHELL CHAMBERED.

If the doughballs cant see me, they cant scope me.
I walk around in the woods with my rifle chambered and i am not a ball of dough. Are you saying that if your gun is chambered you are a doughball? Or you are just talking about a doughball with a chambered rifle?
KeHols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #43
ehunter
King Salmon

This is the same mentality people use when they party hunt what the heck I only get a tag every other year better make the most of it. Or I should have gotten a tag so I will go spot light tonight. Yep people have free choice some of them make bad choices.

Yet its mandating the color that I find an interesting topic, because I'll bet that even in the states you mentioned, somewhere, somebody, wasn't wearing it...lets face it, the guys on this thread who were scoped or shot at probably won't wear it, even with a law. And what about other more important mandates? Should we not make it "mandatory" to leave your safety on until you're ready to shoot? Shouldn't it be mandatory to wear a life jacket crossing a bar? I mean, you could mandate a TON of things, but in the end, its common sense that keeps you alive, whether its the woods or I-5. As Jokester put it...you can't fix stupid.[/quote]
Old 03-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #44
Ghost hunter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeHols View Post
I walk around in the woods with my rifle chambered and i am not a ball of dough. Are you saying that if your gun is chambered you are a doughball? Or you are just talking about a doughball with a chambered rifle?
I hunt with a shell chambered to and i don't know anyone that doesn't. I mainly hunt wilderness and roadclosed areas and get in a ways this usually culls out a lot of the idiots. I geuss i'd also be one of the so called stupid people that wouldn't wear orange required or not my
Ghost hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #45
bigjake_888
Tuna!

To quote my wife: my body my choice
bigjake_888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #46
RidgeRunner
Ifish Nate

I have had many years of great hunting wearing just camo, I hppe it doesn't change. I have not had one problem not being able to be seen by someone else. I know that hunter orange would be better if someone got lost and then S&R could see them better. But, if I choose not to be seen, OH WELL.
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #47
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I don't wear it except when I used to field trial. If it were true that hunter orange saves lives or limits accidents, then maybe we should all be required to drive a hunter orange car!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #48
KingSlew
King Salmon

Feel free to wear it if you want to, but it should be by individual choice. I don't want the government dictating what I wear in my bedroom or in the field, I'll look out for my own safety. We've already lost too many of our freedoms under the pretext of safety. I hope we never see mandated hunter orange in Orygun, but I fear that the same folks who thought it was a good idea to ban baiting and hounding will think that mandated hunter orange makes good sense too. If it ever gets on the ballot, Multnomah Co. will make sure it passes.
KingSlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #49
mr_bones4
Chromer

No. Absolutely not. We don't need to be micro managed. There are too many laws and rules already in effect. People need to think on their own, and make their own decisions based on inheirent risks. We don't need to be governed 24/7.
mr_bones4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #50
LiveLarge
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandcrawl View Post
First things first, we need to get rid of the doe tags and cut down on cow tags. Then the dough balls would have to make sure of there targets and no sound shots. But it starts from training hunters and parents need to do that training.
Doe tags are an important population management tool. I hate the idea of a hair tag though. Doe tag, or buck tag where you have to identify what you shoot at. I contend that where there is a hunting accident and the victim was thought to be game........The shooter is really a poacher. Think about it, he is shooting to kill something.....anything.

Maybe we that were taught the right way to hunt safely should get involved in mentoring a new hunter.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #51
Duckwheat
Ifish Nate

Idaho does not require it. So far since I have lived here everyone killed was not wearing orange. Total number about 9 or 10.

The I don't want to be scoped argument is lame from my perspective. No one dies from being looked at. The assumption some have made is that there are crazies out there that are going to shoot you. I would guess there is a greater liklihood of being shot by a crazy near your home.

Most deaths are getting into or around motorized vehicles.

The "I don't want to be seen argument sounds like the seatbelt argument. I knew someone who knew someone that would not have died if they did not have their seatbelt on."

If you prescribe to the seatbelt theory and believe that not being seen while you are out hunting is a good thing, then ...............................you might just be an idiot.

Sort of like I don't really need a life jacket while recreating on the Columbia. What could possibly happen, I am bullet proof.

Might be a whole new routine for Jeff Foxworthy.

DW

Part time Motivational Team Leader and Life Coach.
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #52
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

For those of you that you don't want them to dress you then answer these questions?

Who requires you to have Hunter Education?
""""""""""""""""" to have Drivers Education?
to wear seat belts?
to make it illegal to drive under the influence?
the list goes on....

These laws were made to not only protect you from others, but to protect others from you. Oregon has a lot of private property. I am not sure you could enforce this rule on private land, but it should be mandatory to wear hunter orange to hunt big game and upland on all public land. It's a no brainer. Studies and statistics prove it.
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #53
mr_bones4
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiteaser View Post
For those of you that you don't want them to dress you then answer these questions?

Who requires you to have Hunter Education?
""""""""""""""""" to have Drivers Education?
to wear seat belts?
to make it illegal to drive under the influence?
These topics you have brought up are far stretches in my opinion, but...

"to make it illegal to drive under the influence?" IMO this law is intended more to protect the "innocent" non-intoxicated drivers on the road. So in comparison by me wearing hunter orange I would be protecting other hunters?

"to wear seat belts?" Your post assumes that I believe we should all wear seatbelts.

"Hunter education/Driver education" These are a bit of a stretch in relation to the HO topic, but for the sake of conversation... Those are courses in which you are educated and you are taught something you may not have already known. Anyone who has two working eyes should be able to see that the hunter orange color is brighter than others on the color wheel. And in relation to hunter education hunter orange is discussed, so why again should I be forced to wear something that I already know may save my life?

I don't disagree with wearing hunter orange I just don't think it should be required.
mr_bones4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #54
Old Goat
Ifish Nate

How much orange is necessary to identify you as a hunter? Just a hat?
What about the break up orange patterns with mossy oak?

A few years ago I saw a guy like a beacon from 500 yards away wearing an orange poncho. I would not have even noticed him otherwise. He was sitting on a log near a tree line. I of course had binoculars and glassed to see what it was. I can understand how someone would scope you if you stand out like that. I see both sides of the argument...for or against wearing orange. There are times I want to blend in and not be noticed. Other times I want to be seen. Hard decision at times. Reversable hat or vest might be a good idea.

Binoculars are cheap...at least entry level ones. Maybe it should be a requirement that if you have a scope that you carry binoculars and have them accessable???
Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #55
rimrock
Sturgeon

If it was required after about 5-years or so of all of us using it I'd guess it would stop being a big deal. It would be just like wearing hunting boots and a hat, nothing to it...IMO wearing hunter orange is safer (note I said "safer" not safe, because what is "safe" anyway).

Last edited by rimrock; 03-09-2008 at 06:54 PM.
rimrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #56
Riverteeth
Tuna!

So what about the following scenario:

Don't require it.

BUUUUUTTTTT, if you get whacked by some goon who didn't know what they were shooting at, and you are not wearing orange, you lose the ability to sue said goon in civil court, and/or the state has minimal penalties in criminal court to hit the goon with (or something along those lines).

Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #57
ommedia
The Measurer

Perfect!

How about I only paint 24 square inches of HO on my vehicle, say just on my 20's! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I don't wear it except when I used to field trial. If it were true that hunter orange saves lives or limits accidents, then maybe we should all be required to drive a hunter orange car!
I know the lives lost are miniscule in comparison to AIDS, Heart Disease, Vehicle Accidents, Breat Cancer...probably even skate boarding. Go vote for a president, take you kid fishing, scout for your next hunt, cure cancer....something productive.

If you really want to dictate what I wear in the field, maybe it is you who is afraid that you will accidentally shoot me. How about we all sign a contract that we agree to "be safer" in the field.

Now, if we only require Non-Residents to wear it...well then...that could be fun!

Freedom everyone.

B&C, P&Y, NWBG, LHS Official Measurer, NRA Member
OMH, OHA & RMEF Life Member
Just Wac'em!
ommedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #58
Ghost hunter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverteeth View Post

Don't require it.

BUUUUUTTTTT, if you get whacked by some goon who didn't know what they were shooting at, and you are not wearing orange, you lose the ability to sue said goon in civil court, and/or the state has minimal penalties in criminal court to hit the goon with (or something along those lines).

Thoughts?
If this scenario happens (not fatal) why wouldn't you shoot back?
Hopefully he's wareing orange and is easy target
Ghost hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #59
jokester
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverteeth View Post

Don't require it.

Thoughts?
Absolutely NOT! If the goon didn't know what he was shooting at, he shouldn't have shot. PERIOD! He shouldn't have even pointed his rifle in the direction. AGAIN...THAT'S WHY THEY MAKE BINO's!!

These are the idiots I was referring to in my original post...

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." - Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #60
ehunter
King Salmon

What happens when the idiot is shooting at deer on the edge of cut with a hill behind it and your in the brush behind him and no body knows your there. Is he still a idiot? Maybe he fell and knocked the gun off. If he saw Orange most liklely he would say shucks and not attempt the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokester View Post
Absolutely NOT! If the goon didn't know what he was shooting at, he shouldn't have shot. PERIOD! He shouldn't have even pointed his rifle in the direction. AGAIN...THAT'S WHY THEY MAKE BINO's!!

These are the idiots I was referring to in my original post...

-jokester