Tillamook bay springers - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Ducky12555
Chromer

Default Tillamook bay springers

Any reports out of tillamook bay? I have been there once in my old boat but haven't been there in my new boat. Anyone think my 16ft grizzly tracker is too small for tillamook bay? Any advice on where to fish? Never had success in salmon fishing there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducky12555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Fish41ife
Chromer

Default Re: Tillamook bay springers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky12555 View Post
Any reports out of tillamook bay? I have been there once in my old boat but haven't been there in my new boat. Anyone think my 16ft grizzly tracker is too small for tillamook bay? Any advice on where to fish? Never had success in salmon fishing there

I have been there fall fishing in my 16' Smokercraft Lodge and does just fine. Just pay attention to weather and go in when you get the first hint of wine picking up. I'm going down and fishing Tuesday.
Fish41ife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Kirkll
Steelhead

Fishing that bay in a small boat requires using your head.... Stay away from the jaws, and fish early mornings.... That wind comes up and can change that beautiful flat lake into a nightmare in a hurry. I've seen it go from dead flat to 2-3' white caps in 30 minutes time on a nice day.

When a storm blows in, you flat out don't want to be out there in a small boat......

Be careful out there bro.
Kirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Ducky12555
Chromer

Thanks for the replys!! The last time I was there was last August. Fishing sucked and crabbing was ok. I will keep my eye out for those waves and make sure if they get bad I'll be out in a hurry. Only gonna be me and the wife so if we need to that boat can move quick. I'll probably fish by the coast guard station just to be sure. Anyone been out lately? Should I use short or long leaders? Water clarity? Thanks again for the replys

Old 05-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Ducky12555
Chromer

Well, went out today. Calm as all hell, but still decided to not go out past the fast water. Crabbing sucked, but we caught about 15 cockles, 3 butter clams, and 2 of the other ones. The big ones, forget what they are called lol. Tillamook bay will probably be a lot more fun during the fall fishery. Didn't mark much on the radar as far as salmon goes.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
pearl
King Salmon

Over all pressure in the bay was light this weekend. Probably due to the big minus tides.
There were some fish caught for those who know the fishery and were willing to grind it out. Lots of families raking clams which was good to see.
The ocean was beautiful and we spent our time catching bottom fish.
Hoping to get to chase salmon later this week.

Last edited by pearl; 05-29-2017 at 05:26 PM.
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
joeer77
Chromer

I crab out there in my 18ft Lowe similar to your grizzly and feel comfortable. Recommend taking your Columbia river anchor in case your motor dies and you don't want to get sucked out to sea. Also take a VHF radio. Crabbing probably won't be good again until duck season (Oct-Nov). Then they will probably temporarily close the season due to domoic acid levels like they have done last 2 years.

Haven't tried trolling out there but is on my to do list sometime.
joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
Fishtail
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl View Post
Over all pressure in the bay was light this weekend. Probably due to the big minus tides.
There were some fish caught for those who know the fishery and were willing to grind it out. Lots of families raking clams which was good to see.
The ocean was beautiful and we spent our time catching bottom fish.
Hoping to get to chase salmon later this week.
Agreed. The pressure was light as it is very hard to successfully fish the extreme tides. That being said, I always like the back half of these tides to fish as the swing begins to lessen.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
Crabby Daddy
Fry

I was out in my 16 ft Klamath yesterday and was fine. The current was swift on the outgoing tide and needed a tad extra rpm's to keep us moving forward. Just always be on the look out. I could have crossed the bar and fished with everybody else but chose to stay inside the jaws of the jetty because I know nothing about going out.
Crabby Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
steelfreak
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Daddy View Post
I was out in my 16 ft Klamath yesterday and was fine. The current was swift on the outgoing tide and needed a tad extra rpm's to keep us moving forward. Just always be on the look out. I could have crossed the bar and fished with everybody else but chose to stay inside the jaws of the jetty because I know nothing about going out.
Good decision Crabby. Don't become a news story. Lack of knowledge and a 16fter equals stay away from the jaws. I personally wouldn't be crossing into the big blue in a 16fter anyway. I know guys do it but.... yikes. Those bars can kick up real quick.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
DiverHunter
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky12555 View Post

As others said an anchor and rope in case of emergency, especially if there during outgoing tide. Use to crab there a lot in my 18' smoker and usually felt pretty comfortable but always keep your eyes open. Also always seems like any squalls coming from the sw can really kick your rear end.
DiverHunter is offline   Reply With Quote